Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general what do you know about russia?

Petrograd Capital

1 hour ago, Envy said:

As having been raised in conservative Southern USA and how I was taught, I have certainly come under the impression that Russia is a very troubled nation and has been throughout all of modern history. TBH, I don't know much about Russia before then. But I have certainly been led to believe I'm glad I wasn't born there. Now the climate of it seems pretty neat and the architecture is really unique. Igor Stravinsky is also of Russian origin, and his music is awesome. But even the music of Russia has been squandered by the Russian government a number of times.

Setting that all aside, I know one thing for sure: As a lesbian and a strong advocate for LGBT rights and acceptance, Russia as it is is a no-no for me.

"climate of it seems pretty neat"

'Best "climate ever. For you it will be really cool, of course, If you like cold weather and gray surroundings.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, anaconda said:

life in the cis countries is very different from your sweet life in the usa. people do not live with us, they survive. for gay marriage, this is the most immoral and wrong. i personally have nothing against lgbt because i am a libertarian. 

I can not think of any cultural circumstance that justifies finding same-sex marriage to be immoral/wrong.

1 hour ago, anaconda said:

" But even the music of Russia has been squandered by the Russian government a number of times. " — can be more? classical music in russia (opera) has always been and will be the main gold standard of music. i am one of those who love her. you listen to billie eilish, we have a morgenstern — everyone has it. music was never choked by our government, but only supported.

My memory on this is a little foggy, but from what I remember, during the 20th century the political climate and leaders were really hostile toward composers, such as Shostakovich. Also, I remembered something earlier from my world music class (thankfully I have stuff still saved from that class, so I was able to get details outside of my memory): In 1648, Czar Alexis I of Russia straight-up banned the use of musical instruments. I'm not sure how long that lasted, but that's pretty horrible. Not that other nations didn't experience oppression toward music.

It's just... when I think of Russia and music history these are the things I think of, sadly.

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle97 said:

Well if I'm not mistaken, Russia is the largest country in Asia. Russia owns Google. 

Yes, it is. Google is ours (No). Russia is the largest country in the world and can be divided on 2 parts. If I'm not mistaken, Russia is the only country whose territory is located in two parts of the world at once, Asia and Europe.

• Brohoof 1

struck you the most

4 minutes ago, Envy said:

I can not think of any cultural circumstance that justifies finding same-sex marriage to be immoral/wrong.

My memory on this is a little foggy, but from what I remember, during the 20th century the political climate and leaders were really hostile toward composers, such as Shostakovich. Also, I remembered something earlier from my world music class (thankfully I have stuff still saved from that class, so I was able to get details outside of my memory): In 1648, Czar Alexis I of Russia straight-up banned the use of musical instruments. I'm not sure how long that lasted, but that's pretty horrible. Not that other nations didn't experience oppression toward music.

It's just... when I think of Russia and music history these are the things I think of, sadly.

"I can not think of any cultural circumstance that justifies finding same-sex marriage to be immoral/wrong."

Sure. However, the existence of a law banning same-sex marriages speaks completely differently. And not the only old generation supports the ban. Of course, most people are more than neutral about this, but they do not like aggressive propaganda of same-sex marriages. Going into details is already discussing politics.

"My memory on this is a little foggy, but from what I remember, during the 20th century the political climate and leaders were really hostile toward composers, such as Shostakovich. Also, I remembered something earlier from my world music class (thankfully I have stuff still saved from that class, so I was able to get details outside of my memory): In 1648, Czar Alexis I of Russia straight-up banned the use of musical instruments. I'm not sure how long that lasted, but that's pretty horrible. Not that other nations didn't experience oppression toward music.

It's just... when I think of Russia and music history these are the things I think of, sadly."

As you said, Not that other nations didn't experience oppression toward music. Maybe struck you the most that in USSR was problem with music, and that's true, because in those days there was a total censorship of EVERYTHING. But now everything is much calmer, especially with music.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Envy said:

however, in russia they are prohibited and punishable by criminal liability. i personally think that russia is missing a lot of things but in fact, not everything is so bad.

5 hours ago, Envy said:

i understood what you mean, i will explain right now. in soviet times, in addition to the usual revolution, there was also a cultural revolution the so-called personality "Cult of Stalin" and repression. the soviet union raised new people on the ideas of marxism and classical leninism. MOST imperial art was censored, much prohibited...especially related to religion. after the fall of the soviet regime, all censorship was removed and since then all temporary arts are supported by our government. the soviet union devoted itself to 10 years of recovery (two five-year plans) - working plans for the restoration of russia and the re-education of society. then it was not strange and only helped to strengthen the soviet union. the historical truth is that the soviet union was planning an attack on the german reich in 1942. operation "Thunderstorm". during the two wars (world war II and the cold war), it was far from art. our people were raised to die for ideas, not appreciating art in its full glory but this is different from the ideas of fascism and the japanese empire.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Practically nothing.

My mom insists that we go visit, but I'm still scared that we'll be treated like the enemy when we step off the plane simply because of how we look.

why do you think so? i met many americans who flew to russia for exchange. they were welcome.

Edited by anaconda

33 minutes ago, anaconda said:

why do you think so? i met many americans who flew to russia for exchange. they were welcome.

Politics and Putin aside, may I please mention:

the homophobia?

the racism?

the xenophobic displays a local citizen will show towards even tourists?

And the US is no better even if it is trying to heal. You just can't trust either case, and you're not welcome wherever you go.

Edited by PCutter
  • Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Politics and Putin aside, may I please mention:

the homophobia?

the racism?

And the US is no better even if it is trying to heal. You just can't trust either case, and you're not welcome wherever you go.

i will answer in order:

homophobia and racism. there is almost no racism in russia at all, only in relation to the inhabitants of north asia. there is homophobia. 70% of russians are homophobes.

on account of the bias towards tourists. in russia every third person knows english, almost all russians will be interested in learning about life in the West, many russians want to move there. so the welcome will be warm. 

волнения из-за того что ты с Америки очень спорные. я бы не волновался на этот счет. русским всегда интересно общаться с кем-то новым. такие уж мы люди. — *the excitement that you are from america is very controversial. I wouldn't worry about that. russians are always interested in communicating with someone new. that is how we are people.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, anaconda said:

on account of the bias towards tourists. in russia every third person knows english, almost all russians will be interested in learning about life in the West, many russians want to move there. so the welcome will be warm. 

I wouldn't worry about that. russians are always interested in communicating with someone new. that is how we are people.

Look I may listen to a lot of the classic music composed there, but I still cannot believe or understand why both sides would be interested in learning from each other when they already hate each other so much, especially after everything that's happened the past month. And not just government hating government but also people hating people, not necessarily between Russia and US, even down to tourists who just want to visit or foreign businesspeople doing their business with no political agenda.

15 minutes ago, anaconda said:

*the excitement that you are from america is very controversial.

I honestly haven't any idea of what you're saying. For the record, I am neither American nor have I lived in the States. 

Edited by PCutter

11 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Look I may listen to a lot of the classic music composed there, but I still cannot believe or understand why both sides would be interested in learning from each other when they already hate each other so much, especially after everything that's happened the past month. And not just government hating government but also people hating people, not necessarily between Russia and US, even down to tourists who just want to visit or foreign businesspeople doing their business with no political agenda.

I honestly haven't any idea of what you're saying. For the record, I am neither American nor have I lived in the States. 

why should we not love americans? we are all humans. in my life, I have never seen bias towards tourists. I saw only interest and a warm welcome.

17 hours ago, Envy said:

Slavs were (and still) very religious as any other nation back then. And in christianity "man lying with man" is a sin and it had been imprinted in our minds for a very long time. Because of this nowadays even atheist are convinced that being gay is very immoral. Tho it's mainly about gays, lesbians are usually just considered weird or ignored

8 hours ago, PCutter said:

the homophobia?

the racism?

European part tend to be less homophobic. And honestly that's the only part you'd want to visit unless you want to feel true post-soviet gray melancholy.

Racism isn't really a thing here especially if you're just a tourist. If you're black you might get some glances but this is because black people are really rare here

That's probably a part of west propaganda, really a few people would display hatred towards tourists, most would just be nice to you because you're foreign

• Brohoof 2

Spoiler

I will add a few words

(background anthem) we have talked relatively enough about russia but i think that i should talk about our history, which, well, very few people know, not only outside russia, but also in russia itself. i will still be pleased to answer your questions about my motherland.

1991 year — " First of all, it should be recognized that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the largest geopolitical catastrophe of the century. For the Russian people, it has become a real drama. Tens of millions of our fellow citizens and compatriots found themselves outside the Russian territory. The epidemic of disintegration also spread to Russia itself " - 2th president of russia - vladimir putin.

nbbn.png.ff9bcbe949f7f3574409f729553b0a75.png

The Berlin Wall fell on November 9, 1989. already the president of the ussr mikhail gorbachev signs a declaration on the termination of the existence of the ussr. at present, there is no single assessment and comprehensive analysis of the reasons that led to the collapse of the ussr. proclamation of sovereignty by the republics of the ussr: russia, ukraine, estonia, lithuania, latvia, azerbaijan, georgia, belarus, turkmenistan, armenia, tajikistan, kazakhstan, kyrgyzstan.

1993 — this date is familiar to every russian historian. i decided to highlight it because the americans call it the year of the construction of democracy in russia. we have built a democracy with blood, with the blood of at least 157 people. september 21 - october 4, 1993, moscow, shelling of the white house.

The day after the storming of the Supreme Soviet, the Constitutional Court issued a statement that it resigned from its function of checking the constitutionality of normative acts and international treaties of the Russian Federation.

After the end of the events, by decree of Boris Yeltsin, October 7 was declared the Day of Mourning.

The investigation of the events was not completed, the investigation team was disbanded after in February 1994 the State Duma adopted a decision on amnesty for those who participated in the events of September 21 - October 4, 1993, related to the issuance of Decree No. 1400, and opposed its implementation. regardless of the qualification of actions under the articles of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR [150]. As a result, society still does not have unambiguous answers to a number of key questions about the tragic events that took place - in particular, about the role of political leaders who spoke on both sides, about the identity of snipers who shot at civilians and police officers, the actions of provocateurs, about who is to blame for the tragic outcome. There are only versions of participants and eyewitnesses of the events, an investigator of a disbanded investigation group, publicists and a commission of the State Duma of the Russian Federation, headed by the communist Tatyana Astrakhankina, who came to Moscow from Rzhev at the end of September 1993 to protect the House of Soviets, which party comrades, in particular Alexey Podberezkin, called "Orthodox".

In accordance with the new Constitution, adopted by popular vote on December 12, 1993 and in force with some changes until January 15, 2020, the President of the Russian Federation received significantly broader powers than under the Constitution of 1978 in force at that time (with amendments 1989-1992) ... The post of vice-president of the Russian Federation was eliminated. "

1999 year — Putin's Russia. i see no reason to write something else here because many people know what happened at that time and how. however, few people know, but putin, before becoming president, was the director of the fsb (in america, this is the fbi).

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Vefka said:

Slavs were (and still) very religious as any other nation back then. And in christianity "man lying with man" is a sin and it had been imprinted in our minds for a very long time. Because of this nowadays even atheist are convinced that being gay is very immoral. Tho it's mainly about gays, lesbians are usually just considered weird or ignored

Yes, Leviticus speaks of men lying with other men. It also speaks of many, many, many other things. Absolutely no Christian follows Leviticus to a whole, and picking and choosing what it says is messed up. If I were a devout Christian, the very last thing I would want to do is let my personal prejudices decide what I follow in the Bible and what I don't.

I have never even remotely heard of a secular justification for thinking that homosexuality is immoral, so that makes even less sense. And your last sentence is just lovely. Why would it only be immoral for men to be with other men and not women with other women? That is such a bizarre logic. It's a "logic" that only comes from misogynistic men thinking that lesbians are sexy, while gay men are nasty. Anyone who thinks like that needs some deep introspection because that is screwed up.

20 hours ago, DozelRhine said:

As you said, Not that other nations didn't experience oppression toward music. Maybe struck you the most that in USSR was problem with music, and that's true, because in those days there was a total censorship of EVERYTHING. But now everything is much calmer, especially with music.

It doesn't change the fact that Russia has been so troubled throughout history as to suppress music on multiple different occasions. Other nations may have had some problems, but I don't remember anything quite like Russia in my studying of music history. I will gladly concede that I could be wrong and not remembering a lot of things. It's been several years since I took any music history.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

If this was a history and general culture thread, I'd leave it alone. However discussion about the immorality of homosexuality is prohibited on this site, as is political discussions. I am locking this topic. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked