Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Which genre appeals to you more?

Plonkett

I submit that fantasy can include super hero and sci fi. I am not a fan of a genre as such. Rather, I like specific shows/books/games. So I don't like just any sci fi, I like Star Trek. I don't like just any fantasy, I like classic Dungeons & Dragons. I am not a fan of just any super hero, I like the animated DC shows and movies. (Actually pretty much any animated show.)

I read more fantasy books these days, but watch more sci-fi movies. For me it's hard to choose between these two genres. Superheroes are OK, but I prefer a bit more grounded takes, like Unbreakable or Watchmen. 

• Brohoof 1

I tend to prefer sci-fi. I like fantasy, as long as it isn't bogged down with worldbuilding, and sometimes I like superhero stories, although in my limited experience they tend to be cliché-laden. 

Science fiction by far. I love movies that explore vast amounts of concepts within the universe and plays around with reality within it. Fantasy can be great too, just haven't fallen in love with them like I thought I would. Maybe I need to watch more. I still haven't seen the LOTR trilogy for example. Now for Superhero movies....bleh. For the most part it is a tired genre thanks to the Disney formula running it sorta dry. I will say I do find interest in movies of the genre that are willing to take risks, so like the R-rated animated films which tend to be great (aside from The Killing Joke, that movie suuuuuucks) and something like the upcoming Batman film which I assume will be R rated. So overall that is a mixed bag for me. 

I'd probably say Post-Apocalyptic; the donwfall and/or destruction of a civilization and the subsequent consequences are intriguing, and the genre is usually filled to the brim with both political and philosophical questions, concepts and theories, allowing one to really examine the human condition in its extremes. Plus, the setting usually also involves a great host of creativity when it comes to the crafting of groups, nations, societies and mechanical things, which is always lovely to explore. If I had to limit myself to one genre, that'd be it.

• 3 weeks later...