Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Izzy being flanderized?

CastletonSnob

One complaint I've noticed about Tell Your Tale is that Izzy has been stripped of all the nuance she had in the movie and become a Pinkie clone.

What do you think? Do you think Izzy has been flanderized into Pinkie 2.0? How worried about this are you?

• Brohoof 3

I won't say that I am worried yet; I honestly didn't expect much of Make Your Mark, so I am not really surprised at Izzy being PInkie-fied. I will be concerned if this carries over into Tell Your Tale, though; I actually have some expectations for it, unlike Make Your Mark. I will say that I am otherwise perfectly fine with the rest of the Mane 5 thus far in terms of characterization; their inspirations are still relatively obvious, but I think they are doing well in distinguishing themselves from their G4 counterparts. Izzy just seems to be an odd exception to this, at least for now.

• Brohoof 3

Right now, I'm worried that Izzy will never be like how she was in MLP:ANG because she was one of the few things I enjoyed from the movie.

In Tell Your Tale, seems like a completely different pony and I mean it in a bad way.

She doesn't act like she has a rich inner world, she doesn't have her sass, and her hair just looks wrong. I can't stress the last part enough!

I can just hope that if Izzy's character doesn't get rescued, at least someone will be able to do her justice with fanfiction.

• Brohoof 6

It's hard to be worried when all we've seen of Make Your Mark is roughly three minutes or so of footage. To be worried would mean needing to watch a few episodes first. We won't have to wait that long so we'll get an answer soon enough.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, -Buttercup- said:

Another thing that genuinely annoys me is how large she is compared to the other ponies, it looks so off to me.

I think that in Tell Your Tale, Izzy being the only mare with wide hooves in the Mane 5 and her hair being so poofy, especially conpared to her 3D hair, can make her look bigger than she is in 3D.

Even her hair in Tale Your Tale looks more like Pinkie Pie's hair than how her hair looks in 3D. If her hair was made more accurate and "swirly" and they kept more of her MLP:ANG personality, she would be more recognizable and likable to me.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I haven’t watched all the episodes of Tell your Tale, but I don’t think so. And even if she is, that wouldn’t matter, because these are 5 minutes episodes.

If these were 22 minutes episodes, I would understand the complaint because this type of behavior make an episode so much longer, not to mention I had the same complaints with some episodes from the past with Pinkie Pie as the main character. But it’s not the case. You don’t feel you wasted your time with a 5 minutes episode.

So, to me that's another excuse people need just to say that G4 "is perfect" in comparison to G5 despite that Friendship is Magic has its own can of worms.

Edited by Ring Team

No, it's just that five-minute episodes of a gag comedy do not provide much opportunity for characters to exemplify complex personality traits. Not to mention that comedy is derived from exaggeration. Mildly exaggerating the comic relief character for a gag comedy makes perfect sense. 

• Brohoof 1

I think one of the problems in Tell Your Tale is that the some of the characterizations are swallowed up by the few traits that will trigger the storylines.

And actions of the characters aren't really shown as low, steady and high points that show their development throughout the storylines.

One of the biggest offenders is Izzy's characterization in Tell Your Tale.

• Brohoof 1

Not at all, and I really do not understand where all this concern is coming from.

Tell Your Tell is mainly built on comedy first, with character-building following that. Pipp and Zipp seem to be benefitting the most from that show, but to say that Izzy is being flanderized is a tad harsh IMO. It's explained in that roommate episode that she suffers from a lack of social interaction (and downright isolation) so being with friends who actually care about is something totally foreign to her. What's flanderization to some is to me Izzy trying to understand her environment and situation. It's a new thing for her.

• Brohoof 2

It's way too soon to say whether or not she's being flanderized. Like, all we have of her is the movie and TYT, highly comedic five minute shorts. She hasn't really had good opportunities to express a character beyond "silly goofy crafter with mild social problems" and honestly I think that's fine enough for now. The Make Your Mark special is right around the corner, so we'll probably get something a little deeper soon. 

• Brohoof 2

It's hard to judge characters in TYT because of the show's ridiculously self-imposed time limitations. I did find Izzy a little flanderized in certain episodes, but less in others, too. For example I found her better off in the box episode than the nightmare roommate episode. Best wait till Make Your Mark before we start hard setting judgements on lackluster writing.

• Brohoof 2

Worried isn't the term I would use, implying I have something to lose if G5 continues to deliver subpar characterization, but yeah I think she is becoming a Pinkie 2.0.  I personally would have preferred a mecha-Pinkie for a 2.0 version, but I digress. :laugh:

(edited)

I really find Izzy's voice-acting in Tell Your Tale too grating. I think that if her voice was deeper, or in the very least had less high pitches, she would sound better.

Izzy is my favorite character of MLP:ANG and she deserves better, even in 5 minute episodes.

Spoiler
Spoiler

:sneer:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

I completely agree with OP, but Make Your Mark could fix that. They'll have full length episodes to work with, which allow for better character development. We've gotten some of it for Izzy with Nightmare Roommate in particular, but I prefer the way episodes like Party of One developed Pinkie Pie's character.