Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

nostalgicponytimes

Let’s be honest. When you think MLP, you think about the original toy’s unique shape and dimensions. When Hasbro needed to update their toys, they tried to make the ponies a little bit more realistic, which would be similar to changing McDonald’s Big Mac menu into something different. This was at a time when Coca-Cola tried to change their original drink into something new, and that failed as well.

The toys are cool. My G2 collection is quite large.

I'm a bit limited around G2. Most of it got released in Europe (and South America, supposedly) and never made it to North America, so there were limited opportunities for me. I did try to play the Friendship Garden game a couple of years ago as part of my 'watch all previous generations' blog, but it really didn't want to run very well on my relatively modern PC.

Art style-wise, I liked what little I saw. G1 was definitely modelled after specific pony breeds like the Highland Pony and the Shetland Pony, with broad bodies and stubby legs, while G2 moved more towards regular horse proportions.

I wish I could get ahold of more of the European comics that were published at the time, to get a better idea of the characters.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-12-31 at 7:15 AM, nostalgicponytimes said:

what is everyone's thoughts on g2? are they cute or scary? did it deserve a show, or is it better there wasn't one? id love to hear everybody's thoughts and opinions, since g2 is one of the unpopular generations from what i've seen!

G2 was pretty crazy, but it had some very cute character concepts, like Light Heart

large.png

• 1 month later...
On 2023-01-01 at 12:29 PM, Fhaolan said:

I'm a bit limited around G2. Most of it got released in Europe (and South America, supposedly) and never made it to North America, so there were limited opportunities for me. I did try to play the Friendship Garden game a couple of years ago as part of my 'watch all previous generations' blog, but it really didn't want to run very well on my relatively modern PC.

I could see that happening. Hasbro seems to have completely move on from FIM, but there are parts of Asia were they still promote G4 horses. I totally see that happening in other regions with past generations, specially because the internet wasn’t nearly as integrated into our lives back then