Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fan content that traumatized you back in the day?

HawkNightingale

After watching a recent video by Raymundo 2112 I started to think back about the parts of the fandom that terrified back in the day. I do definitely remember being pretty freaked out by "Smile HD" (as well as MisterDavie's other vids) back in the day, but not as others claimed to have been. For example it didn't give me any nightmares or altered the way I saw Pinkie on the show, to me it was just a really disturbing video.

I was more scared by the Luna Game, especially the scary faces that would pop up. This was back in like 2013 when creepypasta was a thing and a lot of that kind of stuff traumatized middle school aged me. 

SHED.MOV scared a lot of people but I wasn't terribly scared by it, I think I was old enough to get that it was supposed to be a joke. I know MisterDavie's videos were a joke but the fact that they looked so much like the show was what freaked me out. The .MOV vids looked nothing like the show so I was largely ok with them.

There was also this one guy on Derpibooru I believe who made the ugliest MLP art imaginable. I can't remember what his username was or anything but I remember he made a lot of racist Nazi art and his art style was intentionally very ugly and hard to look at. I seem to remember one art piece by him of this giant Godzilla like monster in a Nazi uniform attacking a bunch of ugly ponies. I'm pretty sure the artist was intentionally trying to be "edgy" but back then I thought it was anti-Brony hate art and it made me severely upset.

On the topic of that, some of the Fluffy Pony abuse art that would sometimes turn up on DB made me feel really uncomfortable.

Was there any fan content that traumatized you back in the day?

I used to be super terrified of Sonic.exe, but when I rewatched some gameplays of them a few months ago I realized how not scary it is :mlp_icwudt:

Edited by Gaines

When I joined the fandom, I'd say I was old enough to not be afraid of that sort of content. But then again, I avoided watching any of it, and that hasn't changed much, so maybe I can't really say.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, not much scares me recently with anything period. The only monster concept I find truly terrifying in concept is "the thing."

Now as far MLP is concerned I would have to say what scared me back in the day were the extremely.dark fan theories on the show.

For example I saw one that said Twilight died at the end of season 3 and season 4 plus is her "heaven."

That or the dark theory of the origins of the mane six before they were reborn as ponies. 

The grimdark side of the fandom never really effected me that much, but being exposed to the more... "adult" side of MLP Fan content definitely did. It was never my thing but it definitely stripped away some of the innocence of MLP for me which I was never able to really get back if that makes sense.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch.

Can’t say anything traumatized me. I don’t get frightened or disturbed easily and I sincerely doubt anything MLP-related could make me feel that way. The show is just too innocent to be scary and I feel that way to this very day. Some of the “scary” fan fictions can be a good read but that’s about it. That’s how I felt with a particular fan fiction I read in…2014? Not sure what year it was. It was a little unsettling but I honestly found it to be super entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

You remember those "Doing harmful things to your waifu chart" memes? Not so long ago I discovered that there were many about MLP. There were a lot. I don't know why I did this to myself but I've read a lot of them. I couldn't stop myself even if I knew it wasn't good for me. I was feeling so bad for the ponies in them and I just wanted to comfort them and tell them that I guy who would do such harmful things to them doesn't deserve them. Misfortunately, I couldn't. I got close from crying that time.

16 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

You remember those "Doing harmful things to your waifu chart" memes? Not so long ago I discovered that there were many about MLP. There were a lot. I don't know why I did this to myself but I've read a lot of them. I couldn't stop myself even if I knew it wasn't good for me. I was feeling so bad for the ponies in them and I just wanted to comfort them and tell them that I guy who would do such harmful things to them doesn't deserve them. Misfortunately, I couldn't. I got close from crying that time.

Oh, that too :dry:. Thank goodness the complete counter meme appeared shortly after and took over :fluttershy:

37 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

I've been trying to wipe that from my memory. I dunno why someone would even create something like that. :sunny:

(edited)

the smile hd video wasn't that scary for me besides when fluttershy literally melted by whatever pinkie threw at her idk. The graphics were so good it was literal nightmare fuel watching fluttershy go like that. Lil Miss Rarity is what mainly terrified me, just seeing that creature crawl out of her was legit so scary lol and just watching her descend into madness overall added to the horror

Edited by misaokuser89
forgot to add a word

I thought the MisterDavie stuff and ".MOV" stuff were terrifying back in the day but running into the fluffy pony abuse somehow topped that. It seemed to have started out as a "joke" but kinda evolved into its own thing? smh my head

38 minutes ago, Trot Shuffle said:

I thought the MisterDavie stuff and ".MOV" stuff were terrifying back in the day but running into the fluffy pony abuse somehow topped that. It seemed to have started out as a "joke" but kinda evolved into its own thing? smh my head

i’ve heard about the fluffy pony thing and yea i guess it’s a situation where some are just kidding about it and others aren’t and legit mean what they are saying 

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-04-15 at 1:47 AM, Cagey said:

When I joined the fandom, I'd say I was old enough to not be afraid of that sort of content. But then again, I avoided watching any of it, and that hasn't changed much, so maybe I can't really say.

This is pretty much the case for me, too. I have no interest in that kind of content – it's the complete opposite of what I like about MLP. Though I've run into it a couple of times – there was a fanfic I read that took a surprise turn, for example (the other fanfics by the author didn't have stuff like that). :P

• Brohoof 1