Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Consequences of AI-Generated Content

Photon Jet

Should AI-generated content be banned?  

8 users have voted

1. 1. Should AI-generated content be banned?

• Yes
    • No

Hello everypony. There's something I really wanna discuss here and it's not something I'm happy with. It's about content generated by artificial intelligence. That's right. I'm ridin' the stormy waves here. Before I start, I'm NOT against users on here who are in that sort of stuff. I'm talking about the use of AI in general.

At first, I thought it was an interesting idea to just mess around with the AI of video-game characters such as Team Fortress 2. I too made a couple of videos using a tool called 15.ai. That was before I realized what the humongous downside of using AI in creative content is. Since AI has been used widely, we aren't aware of the sheer consequences it brings for us and I fear it'll get worse in the future if we don't do something about it quickly. Here are the reasons I learned before creating this topic.:

Reason 1: Voice actor theft. I saw several headlines that AI-generated content creators use voices of voice actors either from video games and movies without permission just to make their own stuff, which leaves a big toll on those who do it for a living. It pains me to see someone like Erica Lindbeck who voices Futaba from Persona 5 get bullied just because she told someone who told someone to take the content down containing her voice. That's something Princess Twilight Sparkle doesn't want to see. It's no wonder it left a lingering effect on Hollywood Studios, causing the actors to go on strike 'cause of the use of AI.

Reason 2: Use of AI in video games. One big example is Enchanted Portals, a clone of Cuphead. The level layouts and enemy placements in the game are randomized for each playthrough which players don't like. The reason why is because the game used AI to make levels for them. That's right, AI made the 2D platformer levels with enemies and platforms all over the place. That, goes against the rules of level design. Levels must have one single structure to follow for players to enjoy the game.

Reason 3: Lack of creative development: This, in my opinion, is the biggest reason why the use of AI in creative content terms is bad. It hinders our ability to create something we put our heart and soul into, such as a masterclass portrait which took a lot of patience to make, or such a stunning animation as Pizza Tower. Using AI causes our creative growth over the years to be completely redundant. We get in the backseat while the computer makes something soulless for us. It should be the other way round where we put our abilities to the test. We may not be perfect, but there's something we have that AI doesn't: evolution.

Those reasons are why it'll be a big concern for the newer generation when it comes round, because if the use of AI goes outta control, they won't have the creative mindset we have now which'll leave a severe impact on video-game and movie companies. Instead, I think we should use AI for other stuff such as rescue operations and life support more while maintaining our creative skills with our minds and hooves (and magic if you're a unicorn). I know there are rules starting to take place but

So yeah, that's what I think of the whole situation. I'm very sorry if this topic made you uncomfortable. Once again, I'm not against anyone on here who's into it, but I just want to see everypony grow as content creators themselves. We are very intelligent beings in the world and a big imagination as well and we must prove it with the help of constructive criticism. That way, we can climb even higher, leaving inspiration to our newer generation.

But I'll finish this topic with a question. Do you think content generated by AI should be banned or do you think there should be more strict rules in place so that the use of it doesn't spiral out of control like a cloud?

Thanks for reading and I hope you have a nice day.

5 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Reason 2: Use of AI in video games.

AI in video games is inevitable. Quote from Wiki, "Artificial intelligence has been an integral part of video games since their inception in the 1950s."
The problem with Enchanted Portals is that the level designs (platforms and enemies) were programmed to be randomized. Video games make (good) use randomization all the time, but, like you said, using it for platform games is generally looked down upon.

5 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Do you think content generated by AI should be banned or do you think there should be more strict rules in place so that the use of it doesn't spiral out of control like a cloud?

I believe AI generations should've continued to privately be studied and experimented on by those who are serious about it, rather than allowing the public mess around with it however they'd like. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Gaines said:

AI in video games is inevitable. Quote from Wiki, "Artificial intelligence has been an integral part of video games since their inception in the 1950s."
The problem with Enchanted Portals is that the level designs (platforms and enemies) were programmed to be randomized. Video games make (good) use randomization all the time, but, like you said, using it for platform games is generally looked down upon.

I believe AI generations should've continued to privately be studied and experimented on by those who are serious about it, rather than allowing the public mess around with it however they'd like. 

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. We wouldn't have CPU players to face or stuff happening by chance otherwise. I should've been more specific. Whoopsie.

On what you said about AI generations, I completely agree. Public use of AI is a serious issue to tackle and there must be laws and regulations to reduce risks.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

There is a lot of risks and dangers involved with relying too heavily on AI-generated content to make things.

That being said, while I do stand with the creators that don't want their work or their soul stolen to feed an AI, while I definitely want to see creators get paid for the irreplaceable work they do... We're fighting against progress. Like cavemen fighting against the newly developed wheel, we can't stop this from being a thing. It's here, it's popular, and the AI's that people are using are only getting more sophisticated and more capable as time goes on.

We're going to stumble.
We're going to make mistakes.
We're going to get it wrong perhaps MANY times before we get it right. But eventually, we will get it right. And when we do, I hope AI can become a useful tool that we all can enjoy responsibly.

• Brohoof 1

AI shouldn’t be banned but it should be heavily regulated. One issue regarding AI is that it heavily relies on what is available on the internet to creat work, i.e., stealing other people’s work, and obviously people don’t like that. There’s also the argument of AI being tool which, yes, it is, but it’s not a replacement. Artwork that’s completely AI has no heart or soul put into, and often full of blemishes that are obvious not the result of human error. I’ve seen it used effectively as a tool, maybe a prompt to give an idea then draw it themselves.  But those examples are few and far in between.

I get it, not everyone is an artist and can just create themselves, but really, just the idea of AI generating artwork, actors, voices, and just pieces of media, etc, just feels really dystopian 

• Brohoof 1