Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In honor of the late Akira Toriyama, how did he change your life? What were your favorite moments from any of his series?

I know Akira Toriyama's works have effected many people's lives across the globe, but I would love to hear any of your favorite moments(dialogue, writing, fights, etc.) of any of his series.

• Brohoof 5

Goku going Super Saiyan was one of those genre defining moments you just had to experience. It's never left my mind when I first saw it and to this day it's one of my favorite moments in not just Dragon Ball, not just in anime, but in fictional media as a whole

• Brohoof 4
  • Hugs 1

By the time I started watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, I would've been around 13 or 14 so I was a teenager compared to others back in 1995/1996. Of course, I watched the Ocean Studios dub which censored a lot of things though this was standard for anime in those days. Funimation's dub felt more closer when they took a stab at it and I was hooked more than ever.

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 2

(edited)

Dragon Ball Z was the first anime I ever remember watching on Toonami. It got me into anime as a whole. I was seriously obsessed with Dragon Ball when growing up. I had an DBZ towel. I had DBZ shirts. I had every DBZ game that came out on the consoles I owned. GBA, DS, Wii, and GameCube. His work has given me thousands and thousands of hours of enjoyment between the shows, games, manga, and fan work that came from Dragon Ball.

My favorite scenes... Goku going Super Saiyan for the first time has to be at the top. I still get chills watching that scene. Same with Gohan finally letting go and going Super Saiyan 2 after Android 16 gets crushed by Cell.

Favorite fights… Super Saiyan 2 & 3 Goku vs Kid Buu. Goku vs Piccolo Jr. at the WT. Piccolo vs Android 17. The OG Goku vs Vegeta fight. Gohan vs Cell. I could seriously go on, it’d be easier to list the fights I don’t love. The whole world is going to miss him.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
Typo
  • Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 3

(edited)
45 minutes ago, Megas said:

Goku going Super Saiyan was one of those genre defining moments you just had to experience. It's never left my mind when I first saw it and to this day it's one of my favorite moments in not just Dragon Ball, not just in anime, but in fictional media as a whole

Definitely one of the most, if not most iconic moments of all of anime. The entire Namek saga was incredible. Even just looking at everything from the Super saiyan transformation and then on. Goku's speech to Frieza in the english dub was awesome in this arc. However one of the biggest moments to me was when Goku gave mercy to Frieza despite everything he had ever done. To me that was just powerful. Goku shouting "YOU FOOL!" to Frieza when he attacked Goku and Goku's sad look on his face as he seemingly killed Frieza still remains in mind as well.

42 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

By the time I started watching Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, I would've been around 13 or 14 so I was a teenager compared to others back in 1995/1996. Of course, I watched the Ocean Studios dub which censored a lot of things though this was standard for anime in those days. Funimation's dub felt more closer when they took a stab at it and I was hooked more than ever.

That's pretty cool! I recall watching a spanish dub of the series when I was around 3 or 4 years old before finding the Funimation dub shortly after.

26 minutes ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

Dragon Ball Z was the first anime I ever remember watching on Toonami. It got me into anime as a whole. I was seriously obsessed with Dragon Ball when growing up. I had an DBZ towel. I had DBZ shirts. I had every DBZ game that came out on the consoles I owned. GBA, DS, Wii, and GameCube. His work has given me thousands and thousands of hours of enjoyment between the shows, games, manga, and fan work that came from Dragon Ball.

My favorite scenes... Goku going Super Saiyan for the first time has to be at the top. I still get chills watching that scene. Same with Gohan finally letting go and going Super Saiyan 2 after Android 16 gets crushed by Cell.

Favorite fights… Super Saiyan 2 & 3 Goku vs Kid Buu. Goku vs Piccolo Jr. at the WT. Piccolo vs Android 17. The OG Goku vs Vegeta fight. Gohan vs Cell. I could seriously go on, it’d be easier to list the fights I don’t love. The whole world is going to miss him.

I'm really glad to hear that, he really shaped everyone's childhoods. Both Goku's and Gohan's transformations were so darn amazing! The fights were so incredible! I remember debating who would win in a fight with friends when I was younger.

Edited by StarlightNyars
  • Brohoof 4

All moments, not only in the series but also in real life, from when I watched the tv series for the first time on Cartoon Network when I was just 5 years old, to this very day, I am grateful for this series and its creator for my life, it's all I have to say.

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 2

I reread the fight between Goku and Vegeta in the Saiyan Arc so many times back in the day, that was my favorite fight in animanga history at the time. I've also read Akira Toriyama's Manga Theater in its entirety. It was truly fascinating to see all the stuff he had worked on in the past, but the big thing I'm never, EVER going to forget is my memory of those days of collecting manga books from my local trade store until I had the entire Dragon Ball series on my shelf. I wish I still had all those volumes, DB was a series that inspired me to try and be both creative and strong. 

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 2

(edited)
9 hours ago, StarlightNyars said:

I know Akira Toriyama's works have effected many people's lives across the globe, but I would love to hear any of your favorite moments(dialogue, writing, fights, etc.) of any of his series.

I wouldn't say that Akira Toriyama changed my life, but he did bring a great deal of happiness to it. I remember many times when I was part of C/F O San Antonio (the San An chapter of the Cartoon/Fantasy Organization) in the 1980s, watching second-generation VHS tapes of Doctor Slump and early Dragon Ball episodes (yeah, I'm that old!). Good times!

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 3

The Father-Son Kamehameha has always been one of my favorite moments as well as my favorite ending to a saga in the series but man, that ending line suddenly hits a lot harder

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1