MLP "What if" episode(s)

ColdhardSilver

My question to all of you is: Should F.I.M. do a "what if" episode? From the Simsons to Dexter's Labortory have use "what if" episode to put the characters in a unique scenario. This allows for great comedic opportunities and gives the writers the chance more open space for clever writing while still conveying a message.

So should MLP dive into the non-canon "What If"s or should we leave that to the fanfictions?

Maybe for just one episode, but nothing more. Since the show is intended for young viewers, they could get confused by a bunch of non-canon episodes.

I think the biggest What If would be what if Rainbow Dash never completed the sonic rainboom as a filly? Would that change all of the mane 6's cutie marks/destinies?

I think it would be cool if they did, but they shouldn't go in the directions of the fanfics I.e. no human in equestria stories. Maybe something like what if Twilight had to go back to Canterlot. That would be an overwhelmingly sad episode, but it sounds Intresting.

I think the biggest What If would be what if Rainbow Dash never completed the sonic rainboom as a filly? Would that change all of the mane 6's cutie marks/destinies?

That "what if" scenario has the serious making of a grimdark story. If Dash doesn't complete the sonic rainboom, then none of the other ponies discover their true talents (at least at the proper time), and therefore the Elements of Harmony never come together. Night Mare Moon is thus effectively unopposed once she returns, plunging Equestria into night eternal.

I don't think we would see an official "what if" version of that particular story being shown in an episode. The implications are too grave.

I wouldn't mind having one of those, but not too many.

Personally I think Futurama has it down quite well. One per season, and split each episode into mini-episodes.

• Brohoof 1

That "what if" scenario has the serious making of a grimdark story. If Dash doesn't complete the sonic rainboom, then none of the other ponies discover their true talents (at least at the proper time), and therefore the Elements of Harmony never come together. Night Mare Moon is thus effectively unopposed once she returns, plunging Equestria into night eternal.

I don't think we would see an official "what if" version of that particular story being shown in an episode. The implications are too grave.

Here's my honest interpretation of this. Celestia, being the genius she is, has to try to find other ponies that would be candidates for the Elements of Harmony. Seeing as how Twilight Sparkle effectively passed her entrance exam only because of Dash's Sonic Rainboom (here's another gimmick I found - Dash's sudden rainboom brought out the full potential of Twilight's magic, as in the presence of some form of friendship, her magic could be amplified greatly), Celestia had to have some other filly waiting that would have great potential in the art of magic, as Twilight could have also failed... but really, the SR allowing the rest of the Mane 6 to ultimately discover their talents this way seems a bit far-fetched even for a tale that uses fate as a ploy to bring them all together. Not saying that this wasn't Celestia's primary objective, but necessarily wouldn't have been arrogant enough to let things play out this way. Ergo, she *probably* had another 6 candidates waiting around. Here's an excerpt from the fanfiction "Forgotten" on FimFiction:

"As it turns out, Celestia heard you weren't coming to my party. She viewed it – I suppose – as a good opportunity for you to make new friends. You, reluctant, antisocial, sent in my place. I *wanted* to make friends. I WANTED FRIENDS. And you just took them for granted."

Moondancer's voice shifted back to Nightmare Moon. She stomped on the ground with both front hooves, her tendrils flipping Twilight out of them, sending her flying into a tree. She sunk to the ground, wordless, consumed by guilt.

"Moreover, you stole my destiny." Her voice was a guttural growl, savage and low. "I was supposed to meet the ponies you met. *I* was supposed to defeat Nightmare Moon. *I* was supposed to embody the element of Magic! Not you! You were just some xenophobic loser who never set hoof outside her library! How dare you steal my destiny! How dare you!"

This way, I wouldn't necessarily say that NMM would have managed to have successfully shrouded Equestria in night, because Celestia would have had other options to go to - in this case, Moondancer makes them all complete.

The setting doesn't really lend itself to this kind of episode and the "it was all just a dream" copout is pretty lame and imo below MLP.

On the other hand, the Mane Six sitting around a campfire , taking turns telling the same story (which each of them vastly differing in style) would be awesome.

Ergo, she *probably* had another 6 candidates waiting around

So she already has a pure-magic-as-talent unicorn on standby? Quite a feat.

(edited)

They should do a What If episode. Just one episode. In this episode, they should have a what if for every mane 6 character, perhaps they have a dream where something they always wanted came true.

In this dream, the thing they wanted turns out to be burdensome and they actually don't like it.

Rarity becomes a fashion designing icon and doesn't have time for any socializing, which she doesn't like.

Rainbow Dash becomes a wonderbolt, but it takes to much time away from her friends.

Twilight Sparkle becomes the archmage or something very prestigious and hates it because of the responsibilities.

Pinkie Pie dreams of a world that's one continuous party. She gets a tummy ache.

Fluttershy dreams of a world that is filled to the brim with cute creatures but it turns out she doesn't have time for all of them.

Applejack dreams that apple harvesting is easy, where apples harvest themselves so she doesn't have to do much. She doesn't like it because she doesn't work.

I guess it would be kinda hard to cram that all in one episode, so they would have to tie this all together, kinda like the filly cute mark episode.

Edited by My little pwny

So she already has a pure-magic-as-talent unicorn on standby? Quite a feat.

Quite possibly; though, I wouldn't expect the other filly to be as talented as Twilight seeing as how she was her primary option. Regardless, the other filly would have been pretty special to be considered as a candidate.

I'm not sure i can agree with that framing of it Devin. The excerpt i mean. Remember it was a spark that brought out the sixth element, however you won't get a spark if the fire is already burning. Likely Celestia, if she had a backup, had some other magically gifted yet antisocial unicorn. Somepony that wasn't looking for friends.

The setting doesn't really lend itself to this kind of episode and the "it was all just a dream" copout is pretty lame and imo below MLP.

On the other hand, the Mane Six sitting around a campfire , taking turns telling the same story (which each of them vastly differing in style) would be awesome.

Silverwisp, don't forget there is a very gifted unicorn in the group, maybe a simple visit or sight into a parallel dimension. Frame the episode as them asking the "What If" and then have Twilight answer it.

They should do a What If episode. Just one episode. In this episode, they should have a what if for every mane 6 character, perhaps they have a dream where something they always wanted came true.

In this dream, the thing they wanted turns out to be burdensome and they actually don't like it.

Rarity becomes a fashion designing icon and doesn't have time for any socializing, which she doesn't like.

Rainbow Dash becomes a wonderbolt, but it takes to much time away from her friends.

Twilight Sparkle becomes the archmage or something very prestigious and hates it because of the responsibilities.

Pinkie Pie dreams of a world that's one continuous party. She gets a tummy ache.

Fluttershy dreams of a world that is filled to the brim with cute creatures but it turns out she doesn't have time for all of them.

Applejack dreams that apple harvesting is easy, where apples harvest themselves so she doesn't have to do much. She doesn't like it because she doesn't work.

I guess it would be kinda hard to cram that all in one episode, so they would have to tie this all together, kinda like the filly cute mark episode.

I really like this thought, however for Applejack it would probably be more like sweet apple acres becoming famous, wealthy, and supplying all of Equestria resulting in too much work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few ideas for interesting episodes.

What if Twilight took a day off and wasn't so focused on her studies/ magic practice.

What if Rainbow dash had a secret diary that someone else found it. or something like that.

What if trixie returned to challenge Twilight, or changes her ways in an attempt to become friends with the mane 6

Just a couple of things that came to mind.

I now think the best What If episode would be about something very very very minor and inconsequential not happening, thus setting off a crazy chain reaction that snowballs into something drastic like *thinks* What if Fluttershy never properly threw away her apple core? Then it attracts a parasprite, the parasprite multiplies into a swarm, the swarm eats up all the food of the construction workers working on the Ponyville music store, with no music store built Pinkie Pie can't gather up the instruments to corral the swarm, with the swarm not corralled and lead elsewhere they make Ponyville barren and everyone has to move.

Like that.

Maybe for just one episode, but nothing more. Since the show is intended for young viewers, they could get confused by a bunch of non-canon episodes.

There actually is a fanfic on that very topic. World Without Rainbows is what it's called. A very good fanfic in my opinion.

To the topic at hoof, I believe a neat "What if" episode would be if Celestia had to leave and Luna was left in charge of Equestria for a while.

• Brohoof 1

Like Futurama. Once or none at all a season. It could be Twilight Sparkle using her magic to show the Mane 6 a few what-if questions that they pose to Twilight. Just like in Futurama, it doesn't have to be the obvious, "What if Dashie didn't do the Rainboom."

Here are a few humorous ones:

- What if the Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks

- What if the Mane 6 had opposite personalities of what they have now

- What if Princess Celestia was 100 feet tall? (Stealing Bender's idea here)

- What if the Cutie Pox kept spreading and Applebloom was condemned to it? (Kind of grim but it can be funny in a sort of slap-stick way)

- What if Pinkie Pie made sense (JESUS)

Myself, I think that we will get a fanmade what-if episode one day. But I don't think there's gonna be an official one.