Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Touhou Thread

Mint Petal

The Intrawebz deliver.

But! Be carefull with whatever is being contributed on the internet! It's not always clean! Be sceptical!

That's why I'd appreciate it, if someone could verify, that there's nothing bad hidden in there.

Just a general warning.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought... but if you really want to learn about Touhou http://moriyashrine.weebly.com/ is very useful. No, seriously. You can read about what controls are in what game, how each game has its unique gameplay, and even get the latest doujin manga or doujin game. The official games come already englished patched and you can get most of the doujin games in english here too. Just trying to be helpful..

• Brohoof 2

^ Scarlet Devil, Scarlet Nite?

Anyways, I cannot play the Touhou games to save my life. I die even on EZ Mode. But the series has a special place in my heart, it was my first crossplays, and the series I liked around the time I stopped being a stereotypical dumb anime fan and started maturing out... Then I got into MLP. Still love Touhou though.

• 5 weeks later...

I've gotten pretty good at Subterranean Animism. Not max difficulty good, but I'm trying. X3 Maybe someday. I'm working on Embodiment of Scarlet Devil right now, and I just got Sky Arena - anyone here familiar with it? I can't seem to find an English patch so I can't make much sense of it. XP That and it might be fun to try online play if we can figure it out.

I love these games so much. I never got a chance to play them when I found out about Touhou a few years ago because my desktop was a piece of shit. But, I have a laptop now and played the first three PC games. i feel so out of the looooop.

Marisa, Reimu, Flan, Remi, Cirno, Rumia, Patchouli and Alice are my favourites so far. ;n; I even own a FumoFumo Marisa doll.

Edited by sleepyhead.

I'm playing "Touhouvania" right now and I'm really enjoying it, especially the music. I can't find any download links to the other games in the series, though. Does anyone have working links of any of the games from 6 and onwards, bullet-hell or otherwise?

Woah woah woah. Hold the fuck up...

Touhouvnia? As in, a Castlevania-style Touhou game??

I... I think I'm in heaven... excuse me while I go masturbate download and play this game.

Anyway, the first Touhou game I played was in Japanese, in Japan, and I have no idea which one it was. I also played one of the fighting games there, but I also have no idea which.

Other than that, I've only really played 13 Desires. Can't get past stage 3, though. But I refuse to step down to easy mode >_<

Edited by Evilshy

Touhouvnia? As in, a Castlevania-style Touhou game??

Pretty sure there's a Touhou fan game for just about every genre under the bloody sun - I once tried my hand at a very comical Touhou typing game once, for example.

At any rate, 12.3 or bust.

• 1 month later...

As you may or may not know, the "Touhou Project" is a series of games ( most of them being shooting games )

In these games you are playing as one of different characters ( though in some you can change in-game while in focus mode ) and are confined to a rectangle of the game screen. In there you just shoot and move around. Sounds easy right?

The twist is, there are enemies. Sometimes few, sometimes the screen is filled with them and sometimes it's just the boss. And suddenly it get's even harder! These enemies shoot bullets too! Even if they are a bit different to yours, they one-shot you. So better not touch them. So the difficulty of these games is the dodging and at the same killing these enemies which is not always as simple as one might think.

A few screenshots:

Posted Image

As you can see, quite a few bullets are on screen.

Posted Image

Even more bullets, as well as the boss of the first stage.

To be honest, I did take those at maximum difficulty so taking the screenshots was quite difficult ( hence why I am loosing a life in between screenshots ) and the fact that sometimes it just gets really crowded on there...

You can find the games online, english patches exist.

And to get a small headache from trying to follow:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHmzO2RI1fs

So for those playing it, what games have you finished?

Edited by Neikos the Omniscient

I'm not even sure which one of those I played but it got REALLY tough. It's like Geometry Wars times a thousand. It got insanely difficult and seizure-inducing within a matter of minutes.

I worship thee who hath beaten all of these games.

Despite Bullet Hell, and shmups in general, being one of my favorite genres, I've never actually beaten a Touhou game :/

I do occasionally play Shinreibyou on lunatic for fun, though. I know I can't win, so I just use infinite continues and have fun.

Despite Bullet Hell, and shmups in general, being one of my favorite genres, I've never actually beaten a Touhou game :/

I do occasionally play Shinreibyou on lunatic for fun, though. I know I can't win, so I just use infinite continues and have fun.

That's how I do it! Mostly just playing TH11 and TH12.3 as I found them the most enjoyable so far. ( 12 is a nightmare though. )

Also, I saw that you worked on a danmaku about a month back, you still working on it?

That's how I do it! Mostly just playing TH11 and TH12.3 as I found them the most enjoyable so far. ( 12 is a nightmare though. )

Also, I saw that you worked on a danmaku about a month back, you still working on it?

Of course. It's what I do when I want to watch Netflix but am finished with my homework. More enemies, bosses, minibosses, and more player ships :)

Haven't updated the thread in awhile, though, so I don't know what the last version I uploaded was. Nobody seemed interested anymore :/

• 6 months later...

Wow, haven't been here in forever. Seeing as how a detailed reading of the rules didn't say anything about posting in old topics, I decided to ask anyone's opinions on the newest things in the Touhou-verse.

Now that Hopeless Masquerade has recently been released, along with the demo for Double Dealing Character (Squee!), what are your thoughts on ZUN's newest installations so far? Personally, I'm finding Hopeless Masquerade interesting, but to controls could take some getting used to on my end. I like the idea of an all aerial combat system and spellcard declaration, instead of just a sudden surprise spellcard.

Moving onto what little was shown for Double Dealing Character, I do enjoy a new Touhou game to spice up bullet patterns and techniques. It's evident that ZUN's trying out some new music styles with the 14th installation, but I'm not complaining; the songs are already starting to grow on me. It's also nice to see Sakuya as a playable character again. derpy_emoticon1.png

(edited)

I love bullet hell, but when I found out Touhou was only a Bullet hell game, I was slightly disappointed. Still, I play lunatic occasionally. I still have yet to actually play Touhou seriously.

Edited by Uζεrηλmξ

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Before MLP, I was (and still am) a fan of many things. I've been a fan of Touhou for about 5 years now and it has been one of the best fanbases I've been apart of. For those who don't know, Touhou is bullet shooter designed and created by ZUN. Since then, it has gathered a lot attention, gaining a cult following.

The touhou fanbase is just as large as this fanbase, making fan based stuff including anime, music, comics, cosplay,etc. Now, I first heard of Touhou after listening to music remixes. Even though I've never played any of their games, but I did read their mangas,watched their anime specials, and listened to their music. I've seen so many characters in this series I already have a few favorites! (Seriously, there's about 150 characters in Touhou O_O) Yuyuko, the Aki sisters,and Kaguya is a few favorites I can name.

So if anyone knows about this I guess you can type below about what you know about Touhou or maybe who's your favorite character if you'd like :)

Edited by Lunar
  • Brohoof 1

I've played MagaMari, 2 of the bullet hell games and the fighting game that I can't remember the title for.

However I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the franchise as I have no clue about the back-story of each characters or events, nor do I feel inclined to find out.

• Brohoof 1

I've played Megamari. But that's it really. I'm pretty sure that someone's called Cirno. Some ice-fairy thingy. ><; But I'm not a fan. Haven't given it a fair chance yet.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I really enjoy the touhou series as well. My favourite has to be the sixth game with the scarlet mansion. It was the game that got me into the series and the first and only one I managed to get through on hard difficulty.

As for my favourite character, that would be Utsuho Reiuji (or Okuu). She has a radioactive arm cannon and I really like her overall design. Her boss theme is awesome, especially with an air raid siren behind it.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I haven't played any of the bullet hell games but I have heard of them before. The only Touhou games I have interest in are the fighting game ones. I still love to play Scarlet Weather Rhapsody but I plan on playing Hopeless Masquerade sometime soon. 

Yeah, I have more interest in the spinoffs  :derp:

Edited by MuteMutt

(edited)

I really enjoy the touhou series as well. My favourite has to be the sixth game with the scarlet mansion. It was the game that got me into the series and the first and only one I managed to get through on hard difficulty.

As for my favourite character, that would be... Sorry, can't remember her name right now. She has a radioactive arm cannon and her design was based off the yatagirasu. Her boss theme is awesome, especially with an air raid siren behind it.

Radioactive arm canon? Oh you might be talking about Okuu. But yeah Touhou is indeed one of those games where the levels are ridiculous, but in a good way xD(Even though I never played any of them). Idk it's just maybe because I like the design for the games, it's creative :) Or it's catchy music. I always somehow had more interest for the fighting games though.

Edited by Lunar

Touhou is pretty awesome. I've only played one but I've seen the soundtracks and stuff on youtube thanks to Synthesia. I can honestly say that the Touhou series has the best soundtrack of any game that I have ever played. U.N. Owen Was Her/Deathwaltz is awesome in the piano version, same thing with Bad Apple and Night of Nights

I love touhou. My fav characters are Cirno because she thinks she's a hardass and Nazrin because well...she's a mouse :P.

I would say my favorite game would be Perfect Cherry Blossom because Sakuya is OP. My favorite boss is probably Utsuho. As for my fav themes it's probably Alice's theme for PCB,Wriggles theme from IN and Nazrin's theme from UFO. As for the fighting games...let's just leave it at that :P

• Brohoof 1

Want to play it, don't know where to play it.

While I want to give the games a shot, I never was interested enough to look up much.

I like bullet hell games, and I wouldn't mind playing Touhou of I got the chance.

HILARIOUS video I found: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lHJXPKoX0