Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The decline of multiplayer gaming.

I_wesley125

Firstly, I do realize that this is somewhat trivial.

Second, I don't feel that this belongs in Media Discussion because I am talking about the community surrounding it and the extensions thereof. If the mods feel that this belongs there I understand

This is an important issue to many, but I do realize this is a first world problem that is hardly important in the grand scheme of things.

If you look back on the days of Halo: Combat Evolved you can see how good the community was back then. It had to be because the only way to play was when you were around your friends, (although a VPN could be used in those days, it was very rare) and even in the days of CoD 3 and Halo 2 the online community was still thriving. You could get into parties with people, you could meet and actually have a "decent" conversation with someone. Could being the keyword.

Then the days of the 360/PS3 rolled around, (Nintendo has a limited community due to a lack of matchmaking so I exclude them for this example) and the community was still decent, but this was a rare event. People were in the middle of a transition to a new platform. The community was good on the original Xbox and it did carry over, for a while.

The days of Modern Warfare came along and this, in my opinion is where it went to hell.

Halo propagated a good community and for a while, Halo was the face of Xbox. This was mostly due to Halo 1 and 2. MW opened the door to much more casual players and, obviously it will flood over.

This, in my opinion is why the online gaming community is so bad today.

I don't see how it can be fixed but I suppose it was bound to happen.

• Brohoof 2

As more and more people who are frankly douchbags start playing video games to get with the trend, the more hostile the community grows. I agree, the gaming community used to be pretty nice for the most part. Once Call of Duty 4 came around, it brought in DROVES of people, both "good" gamers and "bad" gamers. Multiplayer for any game now is flooded with said douchebags and there's not really much we can do to stop it. Lately, I've been playing more and more single player/co-op games to get away from this new generation of gamers. So that's a 14 year old's opinion on the worsening community of gamers.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

I imagine you mean decline of the community? It's obvious what happened. I don't mean to be "that guy", but parents plopped their children in front of the screen expecting video games to baby sit them. THEY made the more "mature" gamers lose their cool, thus no one has their cool anymore, and it goes on and on as a virus. The thing with the Xbox Halo: CE was that people obeyed the ratings and only MATURE people played the MATURE games.

If I had to give a last-ditch effort in saving the community, just prohibit voice chat outside parties.

EDIT: CoD4 was the pinnacle of MP in my opinion. It was the last point. In between launch and the first Christmas, and after W@W's release, it had an absolutely wonderful community. It couldn't get any better in my opinion. We actually worked together in pubs to pull together wins.

Edited by One Fine Meshuggman

I have to agree. CoD did allow too many casuals to just hop in and feel like their a god. Too many of them being young and thinking its cool to curse others for no reason whatsoever. Though, ive actually seen people still able to have very good conversations and no trash talking, just not on a CoD game. My whole point may be a bit biased, since im in the Gears of War area, has a bad experience with CoD, and dont play much of either Halo or CoD. More Halo than CoD, but still not that much. And Halo felt more of a *joking* kind of trashtalking, unless the guy was actually butthurt.

Not to mention how parents now let their kids play anything and give them a mic as well.....

I was young on xbox live at one point as well, but I kept to myself. I didnt go out of my way to yell at someone because I thought it was cool or made me feel good about myself.

• Brohoof 1

In my eyes it can fixed.

Our generation just needs to realize that CoD MW isn't the only good game in existence.

I feel the reason people play CoD MW is because so many people play it are young and are influenced by "What is cool.", which in most cases is MW3.

Just my opinion though.

• Brohoof 1

This probably does belong in media but regardless, here goes.

I'm right with you on this. But the community downfall isn't the direct result of Modern Warfare. It was in decline long before the 360 came around. Not because of the games but because of, I think, the new generation of gamers. There was a certain level of honor among gamers prior to the new generation we're seeing now. Now, it seems to have boiled down to who can get the most kills or win with the least amount of effort.

It's unfortunate that some games that try to combat these things generally fall by the wayside. Ghost Recon Future Soldier was one that made "camping" completely useless. If you're not actively moving and helping you're team, then you're only contributing to a loss. But since it's not a game that can be won by just running in and spraying bullets and grenades it doesn't become nearly as popular as the CoD games.

I miss the days of kicking ass or getting your ass kicked and at the end game the whole lobby was recounting the amazing things that happened in the game regardless of the side you were on. Awesome gaming was just awesome gaming. I miss the good old days or early Halo.

• Brohoof 4

To be honest I think the internet is absorbing everyone and turning everyone into a bunch of angry losers and this trend will only grow in the future

Until the US goes bankrupt and no one can actually afford to play games anymore and we're all killing each other in the streets instead.

(edited)

I have to agree. CoD did allow too many casuals to just hop in and feel like their a god. Too many of them being young and thinking its cool to curse others for no reason whatsoever. Though, ive actually seen people still able to have very good conversations and no trash talking, just not on a CoD game. My whole point may be a bit biased, since im in the Gears of War area, has a bad experience with CoD, and dont play much of either Halo or CoD. More Halo than CoD, but still not that much. And Halo felt more of a *joking* kind of trashtalking, unless the guy was actually butthurt.

Not to mention how parents now let their kids play anything and give them a mic as well.....

I was young on xbox live at one point as well, but I kept to myself. I didnt go out of my way to yell at someone because I thought it was cool or made me feel good about myself.

Is it bad if I laughed out loud really hard for that one word :unsure:?

I'm also not sure why so many parents of kids let their children play these FPS' (Young kids are generally very annoying in multiplayer, due to their immaturity and constant use of annoying tactics). Sure, if the kids are really mature and all, I think it can be a privilage, but I just don't get why so many whiny and immature kids/teens are on these FPS' that have a M Rating on it. It's not called "Mature" for nothing -_-

Edited by deadMansFINALstandingHand

I've never seen the so called glory days of the multiplayer. Every multiplayer game I join, I never want to stay for more than a few minutes, unless I'm with a friend. Simply because the most of the multiplayer gaming community is jerks, and little 8 year olds cussing. I can barely stand playing multiplayer anymore. I now barely even play online, simply becasue it is no longer fun.

The music games have really dropped off the face of the earth and they're considered a multiplayer game. Guitar Hero is on hiatus (potentially permanent haitus) and Rock Band is just releasing the occasional DLC pack every so often.

I never really played online (mostly because slow internet/not wanting to) but the good ol' multiplayer days to me was the living room. 4 controllers, 1 game, hours of fun with friends. *sigh* Nostalgia...

FPS multiplayer =/= all of gaming multiplayer.

This

It's not like the multiplayer gaming community got worse as time passes. It's you who get to know more of those shitty players and fails to surround yourself with a decent ones.

I played lots of mmorpg and two of them got many players from various countries, it's not like everyone is hellbent on making your life miserable, if you are lucky you can get quite a number of dependable ally.

Everything depends whether you walk into the game community where everyone is manure-mouthed foals or not

• Brohoof 1

This

It's not like the multiplayer gaming community got worse as time passes. It's you who get to know more of those shitty players and fails to surround yourself with a decent ones.

I played lots of mmorpg and two of them got many players from various countries, it's not like everyone is hellbent on making your life miserable, if you are lucky you can get quite a number of dependable ally.

Everything depends whether you walk into the game community where everyone is manure-mouthed foals or not

Well, most of multiplayer nowadays is, unfortunately shooters. And I really only player RPGs, adventure type games, and shooters. MMOs were never really my thing. I agree though that it is definitely possible to get a good ally or even a team. Just a lot less likely than getting some hell-bent demon in the body of an 8 year old.

You're missing a lot of history there, including adding things like Quake Arena and Unreal Tournament to your list of Multiplayer FPS games.

The only reason there has been decline is merely because the field is more open now, and several other types of play have become more available. Including the MOBA genre, and to be fair, Neither Halo, nor CoD are providing a lasting worthwhile multiplayer scene like older games did. Too many quirks, too many things which change the game improperly.

• Brohoof 4

Is it bad if I laughed out loud really hard for that one word :unsure:?

I'm also not sure why so many parents of kids let their children play these FPS' (Young kids are generally very annoying in multiplayer, due to their immaturity and constant use of annoying tactics). Sure, if the kids are really mature and all, I think it can be a privilage, but I just don't get why so many whiny and immature kids/teens are on these FPS' that have a M Rating on it. It's not called "Mature" for nothing -_-

If annoying tactics work, then they work. It truly depends on the circuit you're playing in. They don't let that stuff like SC get by on the pro circuit, I'll tell you that. I've been playing online since Halo: CE's release, back when I was 8. I wouldn't use a mic, and didn't use one till I was 13, but I mainly kept my mouth shut unless I was in a party or I was in a working team.

(edited)

The Multiplayer Gaming Community has gone to hell, Period. I go on Halo Reach's Multiplayer every once and a while... But I regret the day I bought MW3... Nothing but Immature 6 and 7 years old's screaming and cussing, and If it's not that.. 16 and 17 year old's raging. (Seen in the Video Deadman posted.) I play Single player every now and then on my favorite games. But I just don't know how to return to Multiplayer in the Call Of Duty Games. The Battlefield Community is A lot more mature. (I think...)

Edited by Calirolls
  • Brohoof 1

Speaking of trashtalkers, check out the reaction of this trickshotter named SoaR Stat. Shameful -_-. Skip to 0:48 for the start of Stat's rage

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgRK8BKaa0&feature=plcp

To quote from this vid; "I DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

That is sadly all online multiplayer on the Xbox is anymore. It at least seems that way.

Mario Kart? Mario Kart.

'Nuff said.

Actually, no.

GoldenEye, Mario Party, TF2 (there are still good servers with good people out there), Star Wars Battlefront, and many more.

All games with brilliant mulitplayer, best played with people you know.

What are you expecting when you play random people? A hug and a kiss while they say prayers with you?

When you play people online at random, you are more likely to get the people playing games because it's cool to do so.

Multiplayer is always best when you play with friends or people you know.

• Brohoof 5

I've been playing xbl and well...online games since the late 90s

I've seen the decline in how people are to each other. Now I'm not saying it was all peachy when back then. Obviously you're going to have jerks in everything you do/encounter. But like at least one mentioned, at some point you were able to hold an actual conversation online. Now when I get online everyone is just so rude. Its also why I prefer playing with friends from RL, Forums, and small guilds. Because at least I know there we can hold a conversation.

I also feel there are to many elitists in games today

• Brohoof 1

I can still play Counter Strike on my PC without people yelling at me to suck their dick. I guess it's mostly because I join servers of actually mature players instead of raging douchebags. The rent-a-server thing on BF3 for the 360 has also helped clear the small amount of people that are unpleasant to play with.

So in my opinion player owned servers/Rent-a-servers can keep multiplayer from going completely down the drain.

• Brohoof 1

Firstly, I do realize that this is somewhat trivial.

Second, I don't feel that this belongs in Media Discussion because I am talking about the community surrounding it and the extensions thereof. If the mods feel that this belongs there I understand

This is an important issue to many, but I do realize this is a first world problem that is hardly important in the grand scheme of things.

If you look back on the days of Halo: Combat Evolved you can see how good the community was back then. It had to be because the only way to play was when you were around your friends, (although a VPN could be used in those days, it was very rare) and even in the days of CoD 3 and Halo 2 the online community was still thriving. You could get into parties with people, you could meet and actually have a "decent" conversation with someone. Could being the keyword.

Then the days of the 360/PS3 rolled around, (Nintendo has a limited community due to a lack of matchmaking so I exclude them for this example) and the community was still decent, but this was a rare event. People were in the middle of a transition to a new platform. The community was good on the original Xbox and it did carry over, for a while.

The days of Modern Warfare came along and this, in my opinion is where it went to hell.

Halo propagated a good community and for a while, Halo was the face of Xbox. This was mostly due to Halo 1 and 2. MW opened the door to much more casual players and, obviously it will flood over.

This, in my opinion is why the online gaming community is so bad today.

I don't see how it can be fixed but I suppose it was bound to happen.

Just find good people to play with i have 2 freinds that i play with on a regualr basis and have a great time wether im playing halo/ cod/ bf/ minecraft/ or anything else. If you need a good XBL freind hit me up FearAndLoa7hing