Rate song, then post another!

Marshmallow

7/10. It's worth pointing out that I don't know how it holds up to the original. Never played the Monkey Island games and I'm too tired to look up the original.

8/10, good stuff! I especially like the guitar solo. It's not a super-fast or super-technical solo, but it manages to convey a happy feeling.

Let's go with some old school technical death metal now, shall we?

Iron Maiden (2 Minutes): 9/10: Yup.

Sesame Street: 7/10 or 8/10: Catchy. I don't really have much nostalgia for Sesame Street though, but it's still enjoyable.

Iron Maiden (Ghost): 9/10: Some people bash on new Iron Maiden, but some of their new songs are really good! This is one of them.

Altaria: 9/10: I've never heard of them before, but based on that song I think they're worth checking out! Nice guitar work, keyboards that help add a light and happy feeling without being too much, uplifting bridge, solid singing, catchy and uplifting chorus.

Gloryhammer: 9/10: Gloryhammer is basically an affectionate parody of power metal. It also happens to be really, really good power metal. Very cheesy, but it works.

What about some traditional Irish folk music?

(edited)

10/10

Time for the same song, but by another set of Irishmen. :nom: 

1 hour ago, Ironic Nickname said:

Some people bash on new Iron Maiden, but some of their new songs are really good! This is one of them.

I happen to love all of what they are doing right now, especially The Book of Souls and A Matter of Life And Death. I think they are up to par with the classic era, although I guess it's not really fair to compare them. All of what they do (even the Blaze stuff IMO) is magic. \m/

Then again, I can get why some people don't like the current iteration. Classic Maiden was a riff and vocal fest, and they are kinda still are right now. But not quite to the same straightforwardness as the classic era is.

Edited by Fillypino Fried
  • Brohoof 1

8/10. Good stuff, really nice guitars. I prefer more traditional folk music renditions of the song, but the Thin Lizzy version is good too. At first I was leaning towards 7/10, but it grew on me on relistening so I think it deserves the 8/10.

Let's go for something a bit more obscure, shall we? Atmospheric black metal that's actually conveys a rather positive atmosphere (they might've called it "white metal" if it weren't already a genre: "I personally liked my music described as white metal, but just recently I learned it is actually already taken by the Christian fundamentalists. So, I much rather stay under the black metal category, haha.").

Imagine if this played on the radio. ^_^

10/10

I guess you may call it happy uplifting black metal (HUBM). Opposite of DSBM. :nom:

And yea, the soccer moms are going to throw a hissy fight over music containing screamed vocals. ^_^

Vektor: 9/10. Wow, I didn't know progressive thrash metal was a thing. How is it different from progressive death metal? It reminds me a lot about early Atheist (the band).

13 minutes ago, Fillypino Fried said:

And yea, the soccer moms are going to throw a hissy fight over music containing screamed vocals. ^_^

I was thinking more about the screechy guitar songs. Even fans of traditional heavy metal might think that's a bit too much (I guess?).

Vato: 4/10. Rather repetitive (lacks variety), the melody is lacking, lacks energy, and the drums are rather simple. The vocals are clear, so it conveys the message rather well I suppose, although I don't understand Spanish and even if the message is good it's not enough to make up for the otherwise lackluster music (my opinion). Then again, comedy can go a long way.

Brony song: 2/10. Even if I disregard the offensive lyrics, the actual music is terrible. If this played on the radio I'd probably switch channel.

Anyway, sometimes music + music video can be used to tell jokes, kind of like a sketch of sorts. This can help make otherwise dull music interesting. Case in point: 

I want to give it a rating, but I've thrown that to the ground/10. :angry:

Children in Africa could've eaten that phone. :c

Time for some early-90s grunge. Chris' voice though. What a shame about what happened. :(

That's grunge? Doesn't sound much like Nirvana to me.

Anyway: 6/10. Hard for me to be objective since I dislike the Takida/Volbeat-like vocals. It probably deserves a higher score based on the musical skill alone, but that would imply that I would add the music to my "playlist", which I doubt I would. So I guess it's kind of like "I can see why people might like this, though it's not for me".

Time for one of the first technical death metal songs (you can skip to 30 seconds if you don't care about the intro).

Well, I'm not sure. The people who are involved are connected to grunge bands tho.

10/10

Welp, looks like I have a whole new appreciation of death metal as a whole. \m/