Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Photo finish and Twilight sparkles cutie marks?

Solar Wind

first I saw this picture of photo finish without the dress and glasses.

post-5326-0-59641900-1344597158.jpg

Then I saw this of twilight.

post-5326-0-62229000-1344597195.jpg

Then I realized that they have the same cutie mark. Except photo finish has a camera on hers.

I think the first one is just a fan made picture but there are others from the show where you can see her mark. I wanna know what you guys think about the simmilaRaritys (see what I did there!)

and the differences. (Nothing done there.)

Also if you have other pictures that show Photos cutie mark in the show than that would be nice of you.

Thanks for viewing.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like the unimaginative train hit the artist, if it truly is her cutie mark. If not, then it's just that one guy. I get that it should be a flash with a camera, that's a great idea, but it certainly looks far too similar in that picture.

• Brohoof 2

Or, Celestia is preparing her own cloned army. Let's hope they invade Earth and take over...

Meh, I don't really care. Someone has been lazy to think up a new shape, so they used the old one.

• Brohoof 3

Sounds like the unimaginative train hit the artist, if it truly is her cutie mark. If not, then it's just that one guy. I get that it should be a flash with a camera, that's a great idea, but it certainly looks far too similar in that picture.

I also found this one from the show.

post-5326-0-75062500-1344599024.jpg

That looks incredibly similar too.

• Brohoof 3

• 8 months later...

I think it started with an animation error. A crew member noted that Photo Finish was made from a slightly modified version Twilight Sparkle's character model, and the visibility of Twilight's cutie mark was most likely overlooked during production because she always wore a dress that covered her flank. The trading cards also show Twilight's cutie mark on Photo Finish's card because of this animation error. I wouldn't consider this to be valid evidence either because the trading cards are not 100% official as they're only licensed by Hasbro. I wouldn't consider her cutie mark to be canon.

• Brohoof 1

I think it started with an animation error. A crew member noted that Photo Finish was made from a slightly modified version Twilight Sparkle's character model, and the visibility of Twilight's cutie mark was most likely overlooked during production because she always wore a dress that covered her flank.

This is the correct answer. I read that somewhere as well; they just used the same character model for Photo Finish and never corrected her cutie mark.

She's actually Rainbow Dash in disguise.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 4

This is a good example of the danger of reading too much into anything. The animators make more errors than anybody would want (but also do beautiful work), so it's hard to be sure if it is just a mistake or meaningful. A great example of this is the sky cutie mark in MMC having 6 small stars instead of the normal 5.

• Brohoof 1

I guess their cutie marks and character model are the same and they forgot to change Photo Finish's cutie mark to probably a camera or at least anything stylish in fashion. Oh well, minor mistake.

• Brohoof 2

well she is looking for a pony who has "the magic" to take pictures of, so her cutie mark kinda makes sense.

Yes! Hahaha! Exactly right! I think I like the artist's combination of the camera and the "magic" cutie mark. It's just too perfect!

Yes! Hahaha! Exactly right! I think I like the artist's combination of the camera and the "magic" cutie mark. It's just too perfect!

Originally I admit I was slightly dissapointed, but I like the way you put it it definitely seem,s to make sense when you look at it like that :).

Unless it's really Twilight... wait, do we ever see Twilight and Photo finish in the same room? :o

• Brohoof 2

Unless it's really Twilight... wait, do we ever see Twilight and Photo finish in the same room? ohmy.png

Aha! I knew they had too much in common! Incoming conspiracies!

All joking aside, this certainly isn't the first time the animators goofed up with the cutie marks. Here are some examples.

968694_1330992770795_full.png

Pinkie_with_Twilight%27s_cutie_mark_S03E

239959__safe_twilight-sparkle_fluttershy

246610__safe_cutie-mark-crusaders_50fcdf

All joking aside, this certainly isn't the first time the animators goofed up with the cutie marks. Here are some examples.

Well, Rainbow Dash did fly so fast that she gave her friends puberty, so changing cutie marks shouldn't be that much of a stretch. :)

• Brohoof 7

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Rainbow Dash did fly so fast that she gave her friends puberty, so changing cutie marks shouldn't be that much of a stretch. smile.png

Since when was there a connection between cutie marks and puberty? It's just an overused, unoriginal, and unfunny joke. Discovering one's special talent does not automatically kick start adolescence.

I like the "capture the magic" explanation. It's quite a fitting mark for her, so I'd bet on character designer laziness rather than animation error... or maybe not even laziness, since (as has been said in previous posts) lots of background ponies have duplicate or similar cutie marks, so it's actually nice to have some similar to the mane 6 out there in the world. Covering it with the dress most of the time is good to avoid confusing viewers, though.

Oh, and Twilight was in the room with Photo Finish during the first shoot. I'm surprised she didn't go wild over Twilight instead of Fluttershy :) She has that awkward beauty thing too, and is teh magic happy.png Or perhaps the whole mane 6, cause of the whole "friendship is magic" thing.

I'd love to see her around more often. Her accent amuses me.

Twilight's Cutie mark magic is magic and she captures magic. I don't think it's an error but, If it is a than they got very lucky with it.

(edited)

It has been confirmed by someone that Photo Finish's template is actually Twilight Sparkle's.  Therefore why when you see some scenes where her skirt almost reveals her mark it has the same pattern.  I believe the wiki on the show also stated the same thing but I have to look at it again to make sure.

Edited by Warpony

Actually Photo Finish's cutie mark makes perfect sense. Her cutie mark is a camera flashing twilight sparkle's cutie mark. I know it's just a camera before twi's cutie mark but how else would you illustrate a flash in the mlp universe?

I think its probably just an odd animation error that Twilights cutie mark ended up on Photo finish.

Plus cutie marks have been mixed up and used on random ponies and stuff before, I'm sure if she ever shows up again she'll have another mark, if its ever shown.

Maybe the developers where just lazy :P.