Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scent(s) that bring back memories for you

Raspberry32

I'm talking about the scent that brings back memories. Mostly good memories. I know I might sound crazy, but what I am about to say is unfortunately true.

I have a very, very sensitive nose. I can smell a burp the moment it leaves somebodies mouth from 6 feet away. I have to live with my nose. And most of the time, it sucks. But, I always end up finding a scent that would bring back the most... let's say "awesome" memories.

Cheesy, I know, but bear with me.

I am going to try and explain.

The Scent of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

The first time I experienced a memory flooding back to me after I smelled something, it was with a can of Axe Body spray.

Wait... don't leave yet.

I remember playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood in my brother's room all the time. I don't know why I would play it in there, it's just a natural place to play my video games.

Anyways, his room was always full of Axe. And while I play my game, that smell of Axe floods my nose. So, you can say that Axe is a pretty much the only thing I smelled while playing the game.

Let's skip ahead about a 6 months after the completion of the game.

I was completely finished with the game, and wanted nothing to do with it, mostly because it got boring. I don't exactly remember where, or when, but I was sitting in my room (I think), and I was screwing around with my things. Now, my brother has switched to a new type of cologne, and no longer used Axe. But, I find an old can in my room and decide to play with it. (I had a boring life.). After spraying it, and getting the whiff of a lifetime, I suddenly just remember myself playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. I have gotten so used to the smell of Axe when playing, that when I smell it out of nowhere, those memories fill my mind. I know it's weird.

How about another?

The Scent of My Little Dashie (And My Little Pony)

This happened right before the moment I started typing this. So, about 20 minutes ago. I walk into the main room, and have a look of things on a shelf we have. I notice these little Febreze things you plug into a wall, and the smell of wonderful fills the house. Remember, I have the nose of a dog. Unintended, I smell the Box of Febreze, and memories of myself reading My Little Dashie fill my mind.

Wait. Stay a little longer. Don't leave.

When I read the fanfic, there were at least 4 of those things inserted into the main room's outlets. So, you could imagine the intensity of the smell, especially if you have a Jesus nose. It just so happens that the furniture sort of captured the smell in itself. So, when I cried my eyes out in the couch, I almost drowned in Febreze.

Same thing goes with the whole My Little Pony show.

I'm sure you get the idea now. I tend to repeat myself constantly, so I will just stop here.

Don't leave yet.

I hope I'm not the only one who has these special scents that relate to an earlier event in life. So, what I want you to do, all 0 of you reading this, is to (if you can) possibly give out some of your "Special Aromas" that remind you of anything. (Or, if you want, you can call me crazy and completely make fun of me for being an idiot)

TL;DR - I'm crazy

Go.

• Brohoof 1

I get different tastes. My little pony tastes like strawberry ice lollies to me! xD

Meh, I'm weird. Christmas tastes like mince pies, my birthday tastes like blueberries.

All associated with memories.

Edited by Medley
  • Brohoof 3

Although I do feel as if we're all crazy, I won't make fun of ya.

No real special scent for me that brings back memories. For me it's probably certain textures and patterns, since my nose is pretty ordinary. I mean, yeah, there are obvious ones (like the smell of rain kinda brings memories of the Bahamas / Key West, or calm and pleasant memories), and some flowers bring memories of my time in Seattle, along with rain (rain brings back travel memories for me, and aforementioned calm memories)

Although so does, say the feeling of like a flower (or more specifically how a Lamborghini Murcielago LP-670 looks) brings back memories of the tropics (San Diego, San Antonio, Phoenix, and Miami).

All I gotta say is that flowers / rain bring back travel memories, seeing some things, like a picture of the above mentioned car (or seeing it in real life), bring back tropical memories, etc.

Certain dates may be a colour, like my 6th birthday Yellow, or last Christmas purple.

Edited by p51

(Readers? Didn't deem it possible...)

Christmas tastes like mince pies

I am going to be completely honest, I don't know what a mince pie is. I'm eating an Apple Pie now, if that has any relation whatsoever, but I have my doubts.

I didn't know tastes could bring out some events/occurrences. I guess everybody has a different sort of way that reminds them of.. stuff. I can smell things, you can taste them, and the person I am about to reply to can feel them. I just can't see how tasting, or feeling can do such a thing, but I can't tell anybody different.

Words

I sort of know what you mean by colors portraying different months or seasons. I have the idea that January is blue, and February is Pink.

I don't know how you go about "feeling" things and getting a reminder of anything. Some things feel too alike, and I would get confused on what reminded me of what.

My old friend's mother used to always wear this perfume. Whenever I always went over, her mom had it on. Now whenever I smell a perfume that matches hers...I always think about how I miss my ex friend and just kinda sit there and think...:/ Dont get me wrong, the perfume smelled great..but I cannot smell it without thinking of my ex friend

• Brohoof 1

The smell of after rain reminds me of the amusement park "Kennywood", because every time I've gone there, it's rained (even though the weather predicted clear skies all day...). And I've been there a good 8 or so times.

The smell of heating units reminds me of Christmas time, because, you know, winter. Winter has Christmas.. Yeah, you know what I mean.

• Brohoof 1

Pictures of rather delectible looking pastries.

Let's call them Apple Pies. They look pretty good. I've never had one, though.

My old friend's mother used to always wear this perfume. Whenever I always went over, her mom had it on. Now whenever I smell a perfume that matches hers...I always think about how I miss my ex friend and just kinda sit there and think...:/ Dont get me wrong, the perfume smelled great..but I cannot smell it without thinking of my ex friend

I can sort of relate to that feeling. It isn't a good one. I'd rather not really explain it all, but let's just say (and I'm going to go ahead and give a name here.) I can't go a day without thinking of Erin. She moved away a little less than a year ago. It sucks.

The smell of after rain reminds me of the amusement park "Kennywood", because every time I've gone there, it's rained (even though the weather predicted clear skies all day...). And I've been there a good 8 or so times.

The smell of heating units reminds me of Christmas time, because, you know, winter. Winter has Christmas.. Yeah, you know what I mean.

Uh.. Yes, I... I get it. Winter.

The smell of rain is something I never understood. I don't care how powerful my smelling abilities are, I have never smelled rain. My brother says he can smell when it is about to rain. It's really more of benefit to us, so we can seek shelter before we get attacked.

(Readers? Didn't deem it possible...)

I am going to be completely honest, I don't know what a mince pie is. I'm eating an Apple Pie now, if that has any relation whatsoever, but I have my doubts.

I didn't know tastes could bring out some events/occurrences. I guess everybody has a different sort of way that reminds them of.. stuff. I can smell things, you can taste them, and the person I am about to reply to can feel them. I just can't see how tasting, or feeling can do such a thing, but I can't tell anybody different.

I sort of know what you mean by colors portraying different months or seasons. I have the idea that January is blue, and February is Pink.

I don't know how you go about "feeling" things and getting a reminder of anything. Some things feel too alike, and I would get confused on what reminded me of what.

well the feeling thing is just general.. general memories of travel, not anything specific but just like a blob of memories. I hope i'm making sense. And I only like make certain dates in my history colours. Like 9//11, not a colour. But say the last time I got pneumonia, i'd say blue or cyan. I have one weird brain... Edited by p51
  • Brohoof 1

well the feeling thing is just general.. general memories of travel, not anything specific but just like a blob of memories. I hope i'm making sense. And I only like make certain dates in my history colours. Like 9//11, not a colour. But say the last time I got pneumonia, i'd say blue or cyan. I have one weird brain...

I thought my brain was weird. Oh well, I can't really call out anything to be weird.

• Brohoof 1

I thought my brain was weird. Oh well, I can't really call out anything to be weird.

i think we all think that our brains are weird or odd. But that's just how I feel about us and our noggins.

The smell of rain is something I never understood. I don't care how powerful my smelling abilities are, I have never smelled rain. My brother says he can smell when it is about to rain. It's really more of benefit to us, so we can seek shelter before we get attacked.

It's one of my favourite smells, the smell of soon-to-come rain. It tends to bring back travel / calmer memories for me (since it's a soothing smell, and i've never been trouble when traveling, except for the taking off part of flight or turbulence). Edited by p51
  • Brohoof 1

It's one of my favourite smells, the smell of soon-to-come rain. It tends to bring back travel / calmer memories for me (since it's a soothing smell, and i've never been trouble when traveling, except for the taking off part of flight or turbulence).

This may sound completely off topic, but when I eat dried cranberries, it reminds me of the ocean. I don't know why. When I smell these Air Spray Freshness cans that have the word "Ocean" on them, I can relate that smell to a taste of something. And I guess dried cranberries fit the picture.

Once when I was around 9 I went to my relatives' house and there was an N64 set up in a room that smelled like.. I dunno, a mix of that garage smell and paint? (It was a strange smell, not sure what they were doing in that room) So anyway, every time I played the N64 there I smelled it. I was there for like 3 weeks and then left.

Maybe a year or so afterwards I smelled something similar and instantly thought of Super Mario 64 and of the room where I played it. I still remember the smell after 5 years xD It's very strange.

• Brohoof 2

Once when I was around 9 I went to my relatives' house and there was an N64 set up in a room that smelled like.. I dunno, a mix of that garage smell and paint? (It was a strange smell, not sure what they were doing in that room) So anyway, every time I played the N64 there I smelled it. I was there for like 3 weeks and then left.

Maybe a year or so afterwards I smelled something similar and instantly thought of Super Mario 64 and of the room where I played it. I still remember the smell after 5 years xD It's very strange.

Haha. "Not sure what they were doing in that room". That's pretty awesome. I'm sure you would be happier if there was a... "sweeter"(?) smell instead of paint and... whatever it was. I'm always happier when I get reminded of something when I smell something that smells good.

Cleva, yes. How certain smells... just yes. That is the perfect explanation for me.

lol now this is random

Dashboard - Modest Mouse brings memories from Highway 1 in FL back. Guess it has something to do with my family and I discovering the epicness of the Hyundai's SolarXM radio or whatever.

Huzzah for randomity, err randomness, or randomitynessfullness, or whatever.

Cleva, yes. How certain smells... just yes. That is the perfect explanation for me.

lol now this is random

Dashboard - Modest Mouse brings memories from Highway 1 in FL back. Guess it has something to do with my family and I discovering the epicness of the Hyundai's SolarXM radio or whatever.

You.. You are still talking about the smell stuff, right? Or are you talking about location... or something..?

You.. You are still talking about the smell stuff, right? Or are you talking about location... or something..?

well Dashboard is a song. So it'd be more location memories for that one, about Highway 1 in southern Florida.

Basically, random stuff reminds me of random but connected things it seems.

Edited by p51

well Dashboard is a song. So it'd be more location memories for that one, about Highway 1 in southern Florida.

Basically, random stuff reminds me of random but connected things it seems.

...Got it. I thought you were talking about the smell of the Dashboard in a car or something. If it's a new car smell, then I can sort of understand.

Let me first say this is a interesting topic and I quite like it. Anyways back on topic, the one "special scent" for me is the smell of rain because it reminds me of when I was younger when I received a package in front of my house.(It was raining when I got the package) At first I didn't know what it was, that is until I shook the box and heard the familiar sound of Lego pieces. Now every time I smell rain I remember back to that time when I got that Lego set.

Edited by Sand Piper
  • Brohoof 1

Let me first say this is a interesting topic and I quite like it. Anyways back on topic, the one "special scent" for me is the smell of rain because it reminds me of when I was younger when I received a package in front of my house.(It was raining when I got the package) At first I didn't know what it was, that is until I shook the box and heard the familiar sound of Lego pieces. Now every time I smell rain I remember back to that time when I got that Lego set.

Lego's. The most obvious sounding gifts one can receive, in all honestly. But I ferking LOVE Lego's, to drag this even farther off topic.
  • Brohoof 1

Lego's. The most obvious sounding gifts one can receive, in all honestly. But I ferking LOVE Lego's, to drag this even farther off topic.

There's nothing quite like the sound of Lego's in a box, for me it's truly nostalgic. Of course the sound would ruin the surprise of a lot of Christmas presents, but it was still awesome nonetheless. In relation to the topic, (I can't believe I didn't remember this right away), I also love the smell of a new box of Lego's especially when the pieces are still in their individual plastic bags.
  • Brohoof 1

There's nothing quite like the sound of Lego's in a box, for me it's truly nostalgic. Of course the sound would ruin the surprise of a lot of Christmas presents, but it was still awesome nonetheless. In relation to the topic, (I can't believe I didn't remember this right away), I also love the smell of a new box of Lego's especially when the pieces are still in their individual plastic bags.

YES!

Personally I love the challenge of the Lego architect series. I need to build the Robie House model, I already have Fallingwater completed. But yes, the sound is truly one of the best. And yeah, many a Christmas has been ruined by its iconic sound.

I don't generally care for the smell of new anything, to be honest. New car smell, I hate it. But that's just me.

JUST REALIZED i've brohoofed about every single post in this :o hehe

Edited by p51
  • Brohoof 2

Oh yeah, that happens to me, too. I have a scent for pikmin, harry potter, saturday, wednesday, red hot chili peppers, owl city, skrillex, sonic, and a bunch of other stuff! I thought I was th only one! Isnt it weird?!

• Brohoof 1

The smell of lilacs always reminds me of my childhood in general, because some of the neighbors had them and I loved them so much (just plain purple ones). They were always there when I was outside playing, at least until my family moved.

... I like smells, but other than that I don't have a lot of memories attached to them.

Music gives me more memories than smells do. I do have some memories associated with a few kinds of sunscreen, mostly bad memories revolving around 2 particular summers when I did nothing but help my dad build a house, 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, all summer, for 2 years. All breaks as well, including Christmas break and the 2 feet of snow we had. Maybe one day off a month.

Fucking sucked.

Unfortunately, most of the memories brought back by music are bad, too. A particular girl I was once involved with loved Steal this Album, by System of a Down, which happened to be a favorite of mine at the time as well. Sadly, things went quite poorly between us, and now I can't listen to that album without getting depressed. In fact, the only SOAD albums I can listen to anymore are Toxicity and the self titled, because I listened to Mezmerize and Hypnotize a lot while building the aforementioned house.

I can't listen to Basshunter anymore. This one girl I actually did love broke my heart, and I was depressed for several months. I tried to listen to happy music, and Basshunter was the happiest stuff I had. It sort of worked, except that once we made up, I found that Basshunter conjured up horrible memories.

A few Into Eternity, Green Day, and My Chemical Romance albums also make me unhappy for various reasons, but I don't really care because they all suck :P

Edited by Evilshy and His Own Ego