Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Last Poster Wins

Discord!

I'll try to explain the first one step by step. You have 8764 and you want to divide it by 4.

You take the first digit only and divide it by 4, so you have 8 divided by 4. That is 2 exactly, with no remainder, so you write 2 above the 8 (this forms part of the answer) and 0 (the remainder) below the 8.

You then take the next digit, which is 7 here, along with the remainder of the previous calculation. In this case, the remainder was 0, so we don't worry about it. Then you divide 7 by 4. 7 cannot be divided by 4 exactly, so it will have a remainder. 7 divided by 4 is 1 with 3 left over, so you write 1 at the top where your answer will be, and you write 3 below the 7.

Since we have a remainder, in the next step is slightly more tricky. The remainder for the previous calculation was 3, and the digit we want to divide by next is 6. We put them together to make 36. It's 36 (30 + 6) instead of 9 (3 + 6) because the 3 comes from when division was done with the hundreds digits, which is 10 times greater than the tens digits where the 6 comes from. If you keep all the digits in line like they do in that working out, it should be easy to tell how the numbers come together. So, now that we have 36, we divide it by 4 to get 9 exactly with no remainder, so we put 9 at the top with the almost finished answer and 0 below the 9 for the remainder.

Lastly, we just take the last digit 4, and since we have no remainder we just divide it by 4 to get 1, which we put at the top to finish the answer, which becomes 2191.

In general, for the first step you take the first digit of the big number and only divide that digit, writing the answer at the top and any remainder below. You then go to the next digit and put it next to the previous remainder to make your next number, and you divide this number, writing the answer above and the remainder below. You repeat this until you go through every digit, and the number you're left with at the top is your final answer.

I tried to go into every step in detail. But it's difficult to know where you're having problems. I'll still need to talk about what to do if you're dividing by a number that's more than one digit like in the last two examples you've shown, but first I want to know if you understand the procedure for when you're dividing by a single digit number. I'm happy to go into something in more depth if you're not understanding something.

• Brohoof 1

I'll try to explain the first one step by step. You have 8764 and you want to divide it by 4.

You take the first digit only and divide it by 4, so you have 8 divided by 4. That is 2 exactly, with no remainder, so you write 2 above the 8 (this forms part of the answer) and 0 (the remainder) below the 8.

You then take the next digit, which is 7 here, along with the remainder of the previous calculation. In this case, the remainder was 0, so we don't worry about it. Then you divide 7 by 4. 7 cannot be divided by 4 exactly, so it will have a remainder. 7 divided by 4 is 1 with 3 left over, so you write 1 at the top where your answer will be, and you write 3 below the 7.

Since we have a remainder, in the next step is slightly more tricky. The remainder for the previous calculation was 3, and the digit we want to divide by next is 6. We put them together to make 36. It's 36 (30 + 6) instead of 9 (3 + 6) because the 3 comes from when division was done with the hundreds digits, which is 10 times greater than the tens digits where the 6 comes from. If you keep all the digits in line like they do in that working out, it should be easy to tell how the numbers come together. So, now that we have 36, we divide it by 4 to get 9 exactly with no remainder, so we put 9 at the top with the almost finished answer and 0 below the 9 for the remainder.

Lastly, we just take the last digit 4, and since we have no remainder we just divide it by 4 to get 1, which we put at the top to finish the answer, which becomes 2191.

In general, for the first step you take the first digit of the big number and only divide that digit, writing the answer at the top and any remainder below. You then go to the next digit and put it next to the previous remainder to make your next number, and you divide this number, writing the answer above and the remainder below. You repeat this until you go through every digit, and the number you're left with at the top is your final answer.

I tried to go into every step in detail. But it's difficult to know where you're having problems. I'll still need to talk about what to do if you're dividing by a number that's more than one digit like in the last two examples you've shown, but first I want to know if you understand the procedure for when you're dividing by a single digit number. I'm happy to go into something in more depth if you're not understanding something.

Uh... Why don't I try a problem myself, and you guide me through it?

Someday, I'll be the true last poster, and this thread will be dead and buried. B)

Nah. That's not going to happen.

Like -eiπ? :twi:

Behold my creation, and tremble in fear! 

post-29563-0-69729300-1450675180_thumb.png

If you have any questions, ask them before you start. And don't let my bad handwriting confuse you! 

Subscript means it's in a different base! 101102 is binary, for example.

At -5-10, the -10 is an negative exponent, not just a regular old negative ten!

• Brohoof 2

Nah. That's not going to happen.

Behold my creation, and tremble in fear! 

attachicon.gifThe Flummoxer.png

If you have any questions, ask them before you start. And don't let my bad handwriting confuse you! 

Subscript means it's in a different base! 101102 is binary, for example.

At -5-10, the -10 is an negative exponent, not just a regular old negative ten!

For the first term, does the square root only apply to the -42 in the numerator or the whole fraction? Likewise for the exponent in the second term.

What does the 2 above the square root in the last term indicate? If it's indicating to take the second root of the term, that's just the square root and the 2 isn't needed.

For the first term, does the square root only apply to the -42 in the numerator or the whole fraction? Likewise for the exponent in the second term.

What does the 2 above the square root in the last term indicate? If it's indicating to take the second root of the term, that's just the square root and the 2 isn't needed.

It only applies to the -42 in the numerator! 

Sorry, my mistake/bad writing. I intended that one to be one of those fancy cube roots.

post-29563-0-98292600-1450676164_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Stormgiggle?! How have ya been?

I'm great!  ^_^  I've just been waiting for the apocalypse. Once all you pesky humans/ponies perish in the unending horrors of oblivion, I'll have the last post! ;)  

Also, did you see that math problem I made? There is no way 42 will be able to solve it!  B)

• Brohoof 1

I'm great! ^_^ I've just been waiting for the apocalypse. Once all you pesky humans/ponies perish in the unending horrors of oblivion, I'll have the last post! ;)

Also, did you see that math problem I made? There is no way 42 will be able to solve it! B)

The internet would be down in the event of an apocalypse. Your plan is flawed!!!

...is the answer 7?

Edited by Mars Orbit

As long as the servers that hold MLPForums survive, I can always just travel to Canada and put in my post manually.

I highly doubt it... but maybe?

So if i just went to canada, put the post in manually, destroy the servers, then destroy canada i could get the last post?

...is the answer 17?