Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Obscure Games You've Played

L-PinkVsD-Pink327

Now when I say obscure games, I mean the ones that pretty much failed. You know, noones heard about it, it's in the back of the store, that stuff.

What games that you've bought and played are like that?

For me, one of them is called "Universe at War".

It's a Real Time Strategy that, in my opinion, is ok in gameplay, meh in campaign storyline, and has pretty bad graphics. I don't wonder too much why it never took off.

Ok, now let's hear from you guys.

I'm not sure I'd classify Universe at War to be 'obscure', necessarily, but I suppose it wasn't the most popular thing on the planet.

One of the most obscure games I've played was Legend of Legaia for the original Playstation. It was one of the most fantastic RPG's of its era and even of today, and the combat system is truly innovative. This game cannot be compared to its HORRIBLE sequel, Legaia 2: Duel Saga; it's much better than that.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

It's like diablo mixed with fallout (the old ones) mixed with elder scrolls in a steampunk world. Only bad things are that the main story is pretty meh (but there are plenty of good side stories) and most people have to change a bunch of direct X settings to get it to run properly. It might not even work on vista or 7, I've only ever played it on XP. Still, amazing game :)

DEFCON could maybe count as obscure. It's a nuclear combat simulator. If anypony has seen Dr. Strangelove (awesome movie, I highly recommend it) you might remember the "Big Board" that showed all the known nuclear assets in the world? Well, it looks kinda like a modern version of that. Simple, easy to understand graphics. When you nuke a city, the horror of killing millions of people is summed up by a simple statistic, such as "Moscow hit. 7.2m dead". You have to deploy your missile defenses, ship fleets, planes loaded with nukes, even nuclear submarines. One of the best parts is that it adds some realism by running in realtime (although you can speed it up), and there being no pause button. If you have to get up in the middle of a game, set it to realtime and hope nothing happens until you get back XD

It's on steam, which is why I guess it's not all that obscure. still, more than worth the $10 it costs.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura It's like diablo mixed with fallout (the old ones) mixed with elder scrolls in a steampunk world. Only bad things are that the main story is pretty meh (but there are plenty of good side stories) and most people have to change a bunch of direct X settings to get it to run properly. It might not even work on vista or 7, I've only ever played it on XP. Still, amazing game :)

Arcanum is a truly epic game, and I really, really wish they would have made a sequel to it with modern day fancification. It would be very good competition with Elder Scrolls/Fallout these days, even if it kept its same point of view. There's just still nothing quite like that game... Or a certain bandit guard's 'grammatification'. :lol:

Edited by Fluttershy

One of the most obscure games I've played was Legend of Legaia for the original Playstation. It was one of the most fantastic RPG's of its era and even of today, and the combat system is truly innovative. This game cannot be compared to its HORRIBLE sequel, Legaia 2: Duel Saga; it's much better than that.

Hah I played Legend of Legaia too, it was my first RPG. I got it for my birthday when I was 8 or something; I still own it. :D

Ok one of my favorite JRPG which was given to me by a friend during middle school, Mana Khemia:Alchemists of Al-Revis. The game came out around the end of the PS2 and is an absolute joy to play. It's a classic turn based RPG with a twist, and it has a crazy cast of characters, despite being Japanese it isn't super "Kawaii Desu Saskue-kun" which I cannot stand.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

It's like diablo mixed with fallout (the old ones) mixed with elder scrolls in a steampunk world. Only bad things are that the main story is pretty meh (but there are plenty of good side stories) and most people have to change a bunch of direct X settings to get it to run properly. It might not even work on vista or 7, I've only ever played it on XP. Still, amazing game :)

DEFCON could maybe count as obscure. It's a nuclear combat simulator. If anypony has seen Dr. Strangelove (awesome movie, I highly recommend it) you might remember the "Big Board" that showed all the known nuclear assets in the world?

It's on steam, which is why I guess it's not all that obscure. still, more than worth the $10 it costs.

DEFCON reminded me more of Wargames, it even says Global thermonuclear war.

I remember renting universe at war from blockbuster and thinking it was great. I can see why it was a bit of a fail though...

Dont know if Warhhamer 40k: Space marine counts as a obscure game, but its one of my favourite games ever. Never see enough people on it...

The only other thing i can think of is Xbox Lives recent release of the Real Steel game. Not many people have brought it from what i can see, and its pretty obvious why. For one, it had no form of advertising in anyway, not even on the dashboard. It just sorta appeard in the list of games in A-Z. Its not a bad game in all honesty though, if you dont mind the creators trying to get you to pay more everywhere you look like its a cheap Free To Play game. Gameplays good, the career mode is good (you get to make your own robot!) and the graphics arent really dissapointing. You better watch the film before you play though... probaly wont make much sense otherwise...

Narbacular Drop. The DigiPen project that started Portal. It is obscure in the sense that finding a proper download is quite difficult.

Other then that, the Indie games I have bought from everywhere could be obscure, but probably not.

Dont know if Warhhamer 40k: Space marine counts as a obscure game, but its one of my favourite games ever. Never see enough people on it...

You playing on PC, its real popular.

Revenge of the Fallen game for the PS2 and Wii, Duke Nukem forever, Star Wars the clone wars game, NASCAR 09, Chronicles of Narnia the game, and a really old pony game for the DS.

DEFCON reminded me more of Wargames, it even says Global thermonuclear war.

I forgot about wargames, you're right, it is more like that. I only saw that movie once, and I wasn't even paying attention. Dr. Strangelove, on the other hand, I watch quite frequently.

Oh and I almost forgot one of my most favorite indie games of all time, AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. That game is just fantastic. It's a base-jumping game where you hug and kiss buildings while flipping off haters, it's as crazy as it sounds.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

DEFCON could maybe count as obscure. It's a nuclear combat simulator. If anypony has seen Dr. Strangelove (awesome movie, I highly recommend it) you might remember the "Big Board" that showed all the known nuclear assets in the world? Well, it looks kinda like a modern version of that. Simple, easy to understand graphics. When you nuke a city, the horror of killing millions of people is summed up by a simple statistic, such as "Moscow hit. 7.2m dead". You have to deploy your missile defenses, ship fleets, planes loaded with nukes, even nuclear submarines. One of the best parts is that it adds some realism by running in realtime (although you can speed it up), and there being no pause button. If you have to get up in the middle of a game, set it to realtime and hope nothing happens until you get back XD

Definetly one of my favorite games, I almost won a match once. It's hard. xD

Aside from that, I've played this one Wii game where you had to take pictures of animals, and...that's it. Played it for about 15 minutes and now it's collecting dust.

I can't even begin to start on my obscure N64 and gamecube games. Snowboard Kids, Rugrats Treasure Hunt, so many awesome lolzy treasures that are only fun to play in large groups of people. In singleplayer they're 0/10 games, but with other people? 5000/10.

i played a serise of unfortunant events the game...

Oh my god, that game was terrible.

Oh and I almost forgot one of my most favorite indie games of all time, AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. That game is just fantastic. It's a base-jumping game where you hug and kiss buildings while flipping off haters, it's as crazy as it sounds.

The developers of a reckless disregard for gravity always make interesting games, and even more interesting names.

funfact its original name was "BASE Jumping Game."

Edited by Flare-oop

I got to say DarkStone. It's a game surprisingly few people I know have played. It's alot like the original Diablo, but I liked it more. The game is actually quite good, but overshadowed by the Diablo series because of different reasons. But overall it was a good game. Too bad the company that mae it went under soon after and as such the game got kinda hard to aquire. I had it, but borrowed it off to a cousin years ago and she lost it... So it looks like i'll never get to play it again, shame really.

Hmm, I've played plenty of games that were unpopular but as for obscure...well let's see:

Sentinel Returns (PS1)

The Amazing Sea Monkeys (PS1)

Goblin Commander: Unleash the Horde (Gamecube and Xbox, I have the GC version)

Baroque (Wii and PS2, I have the Wii version)

Summoner (PS2)

I haven't even beaten it yet. I've played through the Neuro Tower at least 8 times now and still haven't beaten it. lmao

As much as I love the game, I can only play it so much before I get bored with going through the same levels over and over and over and over again. And I usually don't have a problem with repetitive games.

My most obscure game is Finny the Fish and the Seven Waters for the PS2. It is a game where you play as a fish and go on an adventure to save the world, it sounds weird but it is actually quite fun! It includes an intuitive combat system, Japanese folklore, and an interesting storyline.

I can't even begin to start on my obscure N64 and gamecube games. Snowboard Kids, Rugrats Treasure Hunt, so many awesome lolzy treasures that are only fun to play in large groups of people. In singleplayer they're 0/10 games, but with other people? 5000/10.

That is so true, I still cling on to all of my old video games and pull them out for parties!