Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do you work, and just what hours and how does it leave you feeling?

Fox

Currently I’m in school majoring in Computer Science, though my goal is to own a business. A friend and myself have this grand idea to own a store that caters to anything remotely “nerdy.” Sort of like a Wal Mart for “nerds” I suppose.

The closest thing we have where I live is a comic book store and a used game store, but I'm not into western comics and the used game store doesn't specialize in any niche games, unless I happen to find them by chance. I think my heart would explode with joy if I were to see a specialty "nerd" store, with lesser known and imported games and tons of other merchandise (like MLP!). It just seems like such a risky business idea. I'd be all over that, though! :)

Currently, I work as an unloader at Walmart, I unload trucks and do things other people don't want to do.

Eventually, I want to get back into school and get into acting courses, since I want to be a Voice Over Actor, put simply, a voice actor. I've always been strange when it comes to microphones, I record commentary or do a skit for a game that doesn't even deserve it, just to have a chance to play with my voice and sound like someone else.

That's really cool. :) I'll see videos of random games that don't have any voiced dialogue and wonder "what if I voiced those games?" Not like I've had any practice doing voice over work, but it's always been a dream of mine.

Currently, I work as an unloader at Walmart, I unload trucks and do things other people don't want to do.

Ill take that unloading the trucks job for ya lol That would be a fun thing to do.

Possibly get into driving a truck sometime

That's really cool. :) I'll see videos of random games that don't have any voiced dialogue and wonder "what if I voiced those games?" Not like I've had any practice doing voice over work, but it's always been a dream of mine.

I really enjoy imitating people and characters. Sometimes I do it pretty well, other times, it just gets plain annoying. My voice isn't deep, I sound like my mom, so I guess that makes it easier for e to rasp up my voice. though I was always quiet in school, if I was part of a play, I practiced, and practiced, and practiced, and made my performance incredible. Granted, I was never the best, but acting is something I always liked doing, but I don't want my face on the big screen, just my voice.

I remember when I was younger, watching Pokemon, I'd be playing Silver, and when I caught a Wild Pokemon, I'd do the same thing Ash does. Somewhat embarrassing yes, but fun either way!

Ill take that unloading the trucks job for ya lol That would be a fun thing to do.

Possibly get into driving a truck sometime

It is cool, but it depends on the store you work in. In my store, the management gets incredibly pushy and rude, so it just ruins the job for me. If it weren't for the attitudes, it'd be fine.

I'd imagine driving a truck would be awesome, you'd get to travel around and see new places.

I'm currently a senior in college, but once I graduate I really want to get involved in game design. As far as what I would do, I'd like to be a level designer or something on the lines of that.

Most recently I was a systems administrator for a university until I got laid off. Before that I did the same stuff for a public school district. I've always worked in IT. I'd possibly like to move into a different field but I haven't decided on anything.

Currently still in high school, but my dream job would either be a mechanical or chemical engineer, or to be a pilot. My parents are really depending on me to have a good job when I grow up so I can't let them down xP

I've had some jobs that paid well and were considered to be a little prestigious by some people, but I loathed going to them. The only "good" job is whatever you're happiest doing. Make that your primary consideration when narrowing down your prospects.

Your second concern should be with the viability of finding work after getting the necessary education, if any. Engineering is a very saturated profession right now. Don't be surprised if you have some difficulty finding work unless you're exceptional. Keep in mind that degrees aren't worth what they used to be either. Jobs that once required a degree of a certain level now requires something better; forget getting an Associates degree in anything. Employers value experience over anything else, and most people fresh out of college/university/whatever are getting turned away from positions for which they're well-suited simply because employers know there are plenty of others looking for work these days who have actually done the work in real life scenarios.

Not trying to discourage or dissuade you from anything. These are real concerns that you need to think about while you still have the time. You may hear from a lot of people in their 40s or older "you're still young, you can still make a change if that's what you want to do" after you finish a secondary education. That was true back when they were your age, but not anymore. It's doable, but very difficult. Think long and hard before committing to anything, and do it for yourself more than anybody else. I understand wanting to make your parents happy, but you'll have to live with the consequences of your decisions more than they will, and for a much longer time.

Edited by Artemis

It is cool, but it depends on the store you work in. In my store, the management gets incredibly pushy and rude, so it just ruins the job for me. If it weren't for the attitudes, it'd be fine.

I'd imagine driving a truck would be awesome, you'd get to travel around and see new places.

And you wouldnt have to deal with the management or co-workers additudes or anything like that just all to yourself (And other morons on the road)

Currently still a student and no job yet. But i'm planning on going into the wonderful field of SCIENCE! I think I'm probably gonna go into physics or astrophysics or astronomy. or something like that. ya know, cuz of space. Maybe work at NASA and go to Mars or somethin' like that haha... I like Space.

Some backup jobs i'm considering though are Historian, or Engineer (can't decide which kind of Engineer. Theres too many.) or maybe even Lawer or Detective. I'm fine with any one of those.

Freshman in Highschool, planning to become some sort of History teacher. But unsure of what grade I wanna teach in. Probably some sort of History professor speicalizing in the American Civil War, my dream job lol.

I'm still in Highschool, dream job Roller coaster Designer...

Realistic Job- Graphic Designer and/or musician

Yeah, I might as well do both, like the former lead guitarist of Skillet.

I'm currently unemployed, due to a number of reasons, I'm hoping to get a job at my local supermarket to get some money, mainly for college, and probably a car. For the long term, I really want to work with computers for a living and learn some programming language. I might join the military to stay afloat for the first few years, after all, there is a lack of opportunity in my area.

I work for a bank in an administrative role. I would like to brutally murder several of my coworkers.

I would also like to own my own pizza shop where I would make 10" Neapolitan-style pies, experiment with unusual flavor combinations, and keep a largely seasonal menu.

Graduated high school, working at Toys R Us (best job <3), and plan on going to community college for some courses, before ultimately seeking out a full-fledged college later down the line once I'm far more solid on what I want to be.

Right now I work in merchandising at a local amusement park, Worlds of Fun. It sucks. I want to quit. I have to peddle overpriced products to innocent people. What I want to do is develop software. Maybe I can quit worlds of fun and develop Android apps.

I'm currently a Computer Science student at University, but i come from a family with a business background, so i have the resources, knowledge and connections to set up a business when i leave uni, although i'm not entirely sure what to specialize in, i would like to have my university friends working with me too.

Another alternative i've considered is putting more effort into making youtube videos and making more money off that, but i just don't have the time. (My Youtube is linked in my sig if you are interested)

Most likely i will end up working somewhere in IT, chances are for my father's business, but i think i would much rather work for myself, i just don't do the whole being told what to do thing :P

Still a student. I was a 2W2 in the active duty Air Force for almost ten years, a paramedic before that. Now I have my masters in Clinical Psychology and working on my PhD in International Psychology. Ultimately I would like to work at a non-governmental organizaition to bring mental health workers to traumatized countries

Just a normal factory worker for a newspaper company. I work there once to twice a week, though during the summer it is about 3-4 days a week. During the summer usually 10 hours, while during school only around 4. Honestly I do not like working here, and leaves me usually in pain but glad it is over.

Edited by Retro✮Derpy

The closest thing we have where I live is a comic book store and a used game store, but I'm not into western comics and the used game store doesn't specialize in any niche games, unless I happen to find them by chance. I think my heart would explode with joy if I were to see a specialty "nerd" store, with lesser known and imported games and tons of other merchandise (like MLP!). It just seems like such a risky business idea. I'd be all over that, though! :)

Ah, thanks! It's funny, my best friend is pretty anti-brony, and we've gotten into stupid little arguments over the pony merch (which we will offer XD) We'd like to offer a little bit of everything, video games, anime/manga/comics, card games (such as Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh) we'd like to offer stuff like War Hammer and D&D, that's our basic idea. Appeal to the "nerd" at all levels, we feel like it's a whole market that goes largely uncatered to outside of Gamestop and like you said a few local comic book shops. Like you said it is risky and it is pretty ambitious but we think we can get it done.

• 5 months later...

I work as a dairy clerk/backup checker at a grocery store as for which one I am going to keep my mouth shut on that until I can implement my plans to get out of that God forsaken hell hole and pursue my true calling of being an author. I hate the job because for reasons I cannot get into lest they might find out and fire my ass I hate them more than I ever thought I could possibly ever hate another human being. I was suspended and almost fired last June for an asinine technicality and had to pretend I was sorry for what I did when they were in the wrong and I was in the right, it didn't even matter how screwed up and unethical what they are doing actually is because since it is not technically illegal and criminals corporations rule this country I was "wrong" and they were right and I had to bullshit like I have never bullshit before to save my job.

Do you have any idea just how humiliating it is to have to pretend to be someone you are not and betray nearly everything you stand for to not get a lousy stinking pink slip? And do you have any idea how frightening it is knowing that they are deliberately putting you a situation they know you will screw up in (the checkstands) so they can find an excuse to hand you a pink slip yet have no evidence to directly call them on it? All I can say is thank god this is temporary, thank god I have a way out because once I complete my exit strategy I am going to enjoy rubbing it in their lying, backstabbing faces.

• Brohoof 1

I currently work for the Evil Empire as a database administrator, project manager, and production support guy for internal business tools. Been dong that for over ten years now. I've also been a programmer, a network administrator, an actor, a chemical engineer, an electrician and a carpenter. Been a lot of things, done a lot of things.

I currently work from home as an indie musician, Animator, voice actor, and filmmaker. I'm not getting paid for any of those things though, but I hope to get into the film industry when I'm finished with college. I only do stuff I enjoy.

Currently doing some early morning stocking at a supermarket and I'm also scheduled to begin as a parcel here soon at another store. Yup, living the American dream here... Well, this is it until I can save some money to go back to school atleast.

I don't have a job yet being a student but id like to get a large piece if land and build a sort of green house where id grow all of my food and have a huge generator generating enough excess energy to pay for the few remaining expenses such as Internet

If I got the permits needed id build a nuclear reactor design that should theoretically allow me to use less expensive fuel and get me plenty of energy to make good profit but I doubt ill be able to get my design to work

Other than that I'd make computer games and websites to get extra money for experimenting (maybe the technology for that reactor...)