Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do you work, and just what hours and how does it leave you feeling?

Fox

I am currently employed by the empire, aka Walmart Stores Inc. I have been there for over 6 years in the entertainment department. Currently, my stress levels as well as my hours are up. Next week, Thanksgiving week, I will be working almost 50 hours.

• Brohoof 1

I am currently employed by the empire, aka Walmart Stores Inc. I have been there for over 6 years in the entertainment department. Currently, my stress levels as well as my hours are up. Next week, Thanksgiving week, I will be working almost 50 hours.

Mein Gott, you have my sympathy, it must be hell working at such a terrible place especially next week.

@Cloggedone, I went ahead and merged your topic with another that was pretty identical. 

At present I work for a company that develops and services software and technology solutions for financial institutions. I was leading a  team of developers focused on enhancing our legacy systems and services, and building the 'new shiny'  so to speak. Currently I am transitioning to a new role that will take a more high level approach. 

*Looks at my hands*

They are too clean these days.  :blush:

• Brohoof 2

I currently work for a small community bank that services the region with about four branches in total. We're not big, but we're essentially the main financial institution in the area. Of course it's a small, rural area so take it for what you will.

I work as a loan clerk; which essentially mean I (and another co-worker) take care of stuff that actual loan officers and collection officers can't take care of. Personally, I deal with tracking insurance coverage (vehicle, home, flood), dealing with loan denials (non-residential), dealing with force-placed insurance, making sure that flood insurance is in line with regs, and am also the Disaster Rocovery coordinator.

My shift pretty much goes from 8:30am or so to around 4:30pm. Not to bad, and I get paid decently. I can't complain.

I work as a call center agent -- inbound calls only!

Been there five years, and tge only good part of the job is we get paid weekly. I absolutely DESPISE my job, but I force myself to go every day...

I'm a shift manager at Domino's pizza. I usually work at evening, or nighttime, when it's graveyard shift. Ever since iv'e started working there, i feel like iv'e grown to feel some innate hatred and despise towards people. I try to give everyone a fair service nevertheless :)

Still, when i get the chance, finish my bachelor's and what not, they won't be able to get in touch with me.

• Brohoof 1

I have filled an application out for a pizzeria I'm just waiting for a reply........ but if I get the job I will be working at the prize counter and the game section

hehe I forgot I replied here already  :derp:

Edited by Bonnie The Bunny
  • Brohoof 1

I work at a grocery store. I bag groceries and grab shopping carts most of the time. I hate my job. I'm not a people person. I share little in common with the moms, dads and elderly folk who come in. I don't enjoy the awkward forced interaction. I hate having to personalize orders. I just want top get everyone out in an efficient and timely manner. 

I hate it when I'm asked to bag anything other than plastic. Paper is slow & stiff to unfold. It has no handles. And it tears really easily.  At least you can easily double bag plastic. It's worse when people bring their own bags. They are so cumbersome and half the time they are dirty. Something about people just wordlessly tossing me those bags that irks me. Of course comes the worst request: Paper inside of plastic. That takes forever and is a pain to set up. It's gets magnified when asked to pack them light. Twice the bagging for half the load. 

I don't like my dress shirt, slacks and tie. I hate the tie. It always gets stuck in bags. I hate the shirt and pants. They always get looped around the bag racks. I hate my name tag. I hate it when people take to me on a first name basis. First of all I'm not your friend, yet. Second of all, you're supposed to introduce yourself first. Third, manners. You address people you don't know as sir, Mr. or Miss. Fourth, don't they know how unsettling it is for a total stranger to call you by your first name is?

People seem to lack common sense. I know I'm not supposed to care, but it irks men when people ask me to put unsafe materials like raw meats together, or with other products, especially cleaning chemicals. I was trained in safe packing procedure. And I don't care if you live a few minutes away, it's still an unsafe and unnecessary risk. 

I hate it when people try to help me pack. You're not getting paid to pack, I am. I've been trained to do this, don't help me, you're making things worse. Let me do my damn job. 

F##k my stores playlist. Mellow romance songs, over and over and over and over and over and over again. And it gets worse come the holidays. I dread the day after thanksgiving. Send me out to get carts in the blizzard and -40 F windchill, just don't make me listen to jingle bell rock for the 6th time today!

I don't get along with one of my managers, He never asks me to do something, he just orders, always with a serious tone, like I'm some little kid who did something wrong, never saying please or thank you. 

I prefer getting carts to bagging. I get to stay away from people, move around, and have time with my thoughts. But it's here where I learn about people. Garbage, all sorts of it, left in the carts. A true display of courtesy. Cart's jacked up on curbs, carts left on lawns, carts put sideways into the parking lot corals, carts with the kid seats locked in place that end up jamming other carts, carts left in front of the door where people come in, carts left in parking spaces, carts left in the no parking gravel lot, carts left sideways in the lobby that I can't immediately get to because I'm pushing a train of other carts in. And I have to do this all by hand. No electric cart Zamboni for us. 

My schedule is unpredictable. I'm only guaranteed a Sunday off if nobody asks me. All the days vary. I could work 3 hours. I could work 6. Possibly as much as 8. It could be for 5 days. Could be 4. I may get one of the days off, wont' know which. Saturdays are the worst. It's always early. Why can't people do their shopping on a weekday, and sleep in on a weekend like a sane person would do?

I really don't feel like a person when I work there. I'm just an automaton, not meant to feel any emotion and to do what is told. And what I do, it doesn't last. The people always come back for more, like the work I did never happened. What's the point I wonder? What am I working towards? I don't even feel like I've earned my money. It's like it's just there for doing community service or something. The people around are nice, but I'm still not happy and them interacting with me isn't welcome and I'd rather not spoil their mood with my indifference or my unhappiness. 

I liked my previous job so much better. I was a custodian at a state historical reenactment park. I wore a staff t-shirt and shorts. I biked to work 15 minutes from my house. I punched in and out the old fashioned way with a time card. I painted doors, stained tables, swept the repair shop, set up and took down for weddings and parties. I'd put on my headphones and got busy, just me and my work on a nice summers day, occasionally seeing some of the reenactors walk by. 5 days a week, same time everyday, mon-fri. Worked around some nice dudes, old timers but a friendly group.  Had a good boss. I felt like I earned my paycheck everyday.  Most importantly, the work I did contributed to history. It's going to last a while. I could go over there today and see the work that I did still lasting. My time there may have been brief, but i was happy and my employers were happy with me, saying that they wished they could keep me. That was also the summer where I worked to play my way to my first Bronycon. So yeah, that was a meaningful job and a special summer in my life, and I would love to go back. One day, I'll ask to go back, or if possible find something better. One day. 

• Brohoof 1

I work shipping and receiving for an online retail small business. I pretty much hate my job. It's not the work so much as the people. Well, person. I generally get home in one of 3 states:

- Exhausted

- Ecstatic about doing something else

- Contemplating physical violence

I should be looking into a new job, but I basically lack the motivation to prove to other people how good a worker I am. I've worked the same job for 7 years now. They know how hard I work (even though I get taken advantage of for it). It's just... a pain.

• Brohoof 1

I work at a place called Southeastern Salvage working in a warehouse. Where I unload trucks, drive forklifts everywhere, load funiture, and other warehouse work.

I average around 47-50 hrs a week there and I enjoy who I work with. Pretty physical job and really really cold working outside.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh it seems like a lot of people don't really like their jobs. I know how that feels. As unprofessional as it sounds, I quitted working at McDonald's earlier this year. After just three months, maybe less. Most of the managers made it a living hell for me. It was already bad enough with my social anxiety that I still struggle with. I didn't know what I was getting myself into and I really regret working there. I hate how I put myself into this mess. What's worse is that my parents don't know. They still think I work at the place and I am really afraid of getting caught. I made a deal with them to not quit my job unless I got another one. I feel so pathetic knowing I have broken that deal. It's been difficult finding another job around here. Despite being 19 my parents, especially my dad, doesn't want to give me the freedom to quit a job when I feel overwhelmed. I fear that he will never understand if I tell him.

*sighs* So yeah that's my job situation. I'm currently unemployed. I need a job fast ...

• 5 years later...

I won’t say WHERE cause I don’t want to, but the hours are pretty fair for what I asked for. I usually leave work feeling good (if I stay super late then I’m really sleepy), but sometimes my brain gets overwhelmed and I can’t stop thinking about work!!

I work from home now, standard hours 8-5. While I understand the need, I HATE standard work hours for the reason that everyone else works the same hours. I want to go to a mechanic, to some non-chain store, to some government institution or pretty much anywhere else I have to ask my boss for permission. He usually give it, so there's that, but I still feel kinda bad for asking for it and try to minimize the number of times (so, only go to a mechanic when there are multiple problems or some really bad problem etc).

However, while I hate the standard work hours, I like the company I work for and the job itself - I am mainly a network admin (multiple ISPs), but also do some work on Linux servers (including Linux servers used as routers etc). There are some bad days (big problems, maybe even overtime), then there are some normal days and some really good days when everything works great and I don't really have much to do.

Working from home is much better than going to the office, even though I have a separate room in the office (with light and temperature the way I like it). This is why I have mixed feelings about covid - one one hand, people are getting sick and dying, there's the danger of getting sick myself, but, on the other hand, I like working from home.

• Brohoof 1

I work as an aircraft refueler at the airport in my town.  I deal with mostly privately owned aircraft from private jets to small planes. 

Other than my employers I love the job.  

I get to ride on planes a lot. (From small prop planes to private jets)   Got my first helicopter ride cause of this job too. 

I get to meet celebrities on the occasion.  

The customers are rarely mean. 

My coworkers are awesome. 

I get big tips on the occasion. 

My hours rotate every two weeks.  I’ll work 6am-2pm for two weeks and 2pm-10pm for two weeks.  I also get a call out phone every month and a half or so. 

It’s a fun place to work.  I’m the next supervisor in line, and hoping to be manager in the future where the pay is great.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, AppleButt said:

I work as an aircraft refueler at the airport in my town.  I deal with mostly privately owned aircraft from private jets to small planes. 

Other than my employers I love the job.  

I get to ride on planes a lot. (From small prop planes to private jets)   Got my first helicopter ride cause of this job too. 

I get to meet celebrities on the occasion.  

The customers are rarely mean. 

My coworkers are awesome. 

I get big tips on the occasion. 

My hours rotate every two weeks.  I’ll work 6am-2pm for two weeks and 2pm-10pm for two weeks.  I also get a call out phone every month and a half or so. 

It’s a fun place to work.  I’m the next supervisor in line, and hoping to be manager in the future where the pay is great.

OMG That's really cool :wub: 

I work at an on-site warehouse at a manufacturing plant. I’m on one of the night shifts. Long shifts, but short work weeks:

5:45pm - 6:15am, Sunday - Tuesday, and every other Saturday. One hour for lunch break.

I like it quite a lot. Sure it’s got its own issues, but it’s undoubtedly the best job I’ve ever had. No real customers to deal with. My only “customers” are employees from other departments. Which means if they act like jack@$$es, they get reported to their supervisors.

Only real downside atm is the lack of good food. The food provided at the cafeteria used to be INCREDIBLE. But with COVID going on, they’re basically working on a perpetual skeleton crew and the food really reflects that.

It also kind of sucks that I don’t get to really join daywalkers in any kind of social anything. I can’t “do lunch” because I’m sleeping during lunch.

So, almost 6 years later. Might as well update my employment status. 

Went to a new job about two years from the last post. Went to the industrial plant building generators half a mile from my house. Removed painted parts from an overhead conveyor. Put barcode stickers on. Stacked them on wood pallets with foam and cardboard, or loaded them up into a rack. Wheeled them off to assembly. My first full time job. With 50% more pay.  Plenty of overtime to boot. That was a lot to take in. But I had a good crew and good mentors and I was optimistic heading into 2017. 

But then they started reogranizing. My old cooworkers left and I got stuck with their jobs. Other jobs were phased out so I had to do that work too. We were understaffed and I had to take down, label and stack parts, scan orders in and print tickets using a convoluted program. All starting at 5am. When my original start time was supposed to be at 7. For 10 hours a day. 8 hours on Saturday. For half the year. Next to an industrial oven. After the idiots on second shift were finished. Rinse and repeat for another 3 years. 

Seeing as things weren't improving and we were on the bottom of the totem pole for improvements, in February I finally had an opportunity for a transfer to material handling, the person who refills the parts used by the assembly lines. Or as it's alternatively known, a route runner. Much simpler work that pays better, though it does get dull at times. But on the bright side, I'm not next to an oven, I can wear shorts and a tank top without getting cut, listen to music on the weekend shift, get a 30 minute lunch break, a raise just to convince me not to leave and not a second shift to clean up after. People are pleasant to be around. And I like having a job where I can wonder and work at my own pace. No, it's not as rewarding as what I did in my very first job, but it does pay better and I'm okay with where I'm at. I'll give it another year, see if i get any incentives for staying a full five. And if not maybe i'll move onto something more. 

I work at a warehouse. Spend all day long in a jack to pick up beverage. Physically demanding, overtime is frequent, we have  to A work 6 days a week on occasion, straight even, and Friday to Saturday’s are specially ass in my shift. Working up to 1:30 am and go back at 11:00 am, or 10 if we’re specially unlucky :unamused:.

oh well, other than my supervisor, I get along with virtually every single coworker, including my manager, get paid weekly, and I earn almost twice as my last job. Hell, what they pay me is pretty much stupid for an entry level job, and is the main reason I haven’t left despite the frequent bullshit from the above paragraph :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1