Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do you work, and just what hours and how does it leave you feeling?

Fox

I'd like to get a job, but I'm really anxious about it. For one, my last job was temping, and it went from 6 to 4, consisting of very menial labor like making files - literally taking blank files and putting stickers on them to be filled with paper later. We finished our big task, and they had nothing for us to do, so we sat around for ten hours doing things that had no real purpose: stapling, removing staples, typing out labels, making more files for no other reason than the fact that someday in the future there would be need of more files. This came at a time in my life when I was improperly medicated, and when most people would have just been bored or angry about the demeaning work, I became incredibly nervous and insecure, eventually boiling over on Thanksgiving weekend, when I suffered a nervous breakdown and hit myself hard in the face with a piece of wood until I bled everywhere. Months after - today even - I still feel nervous thinking about it. I feel haunted. I'm scared of feeling like that again: hopeless and trapped. Away from my house and everyone I love.

Right now I'm an EMT on an ambulance. My shifts are 16 hours at a time and vary wildly. In fact, I will be spending the next 3 days at the station. But I love it, I get to break traffic laws and barge into people's houses!.. But seriously, I regard it as an honor to be able to help out my community and it's citizens in an emergency. It's also nice that the community treats us well too. We get discounts and free drinks when we go out and around holidays they will bring us plates of cookies and other good stuff. I will be completing my paramedic school within the year and will be switching switching seats. I've seen some things, I've smelled some things, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Lol I just got hired yesturday! I am currently employed at White Castles I can finally buy some pony stuff i've had my eyes on for a long while now.

I work at Wendy's during the late shift while I go to school for a Computer Science degree.  Been there about 2 1/2 years now, not sure how much longer it's going to be worth it for $8.50 an hour while getting home at 2:30 in the morning.

I work at Wendy's during the late shift while I go to school for a Computer Science degree.  Been there about 2 1/2 years now, not sure how much longer it's going to be worth it for $8.50 an hour while getting home at 2:30 in the morning.

No thanks, I have been there and done that. Back while I was still a backup dairy clerk I worked night crew and my typical shift was 11pm-7:30am, as much as I may complain about my situation now I think it is a bit better than back then. Though when I was at my happiest at my job was when I worked my 4am shifts which probably dosen't sound very appealing to alot of you but once I got used to them I loved all the extra time I had during the day. I suppose if I were to stay at the grocery store I work at which I won't I would probably become a receiver (back room manager) as their typical shift is 4:30am-1:30pm which would give me plenty of time during the day, my days off would almost never change and even though it is a tough job it is not nearly as tough as being a dairy clerk.

I've...um, never had a job. *blushes in ashamed embarrasement*

But, that's gonna change this summer, because I'm lined up to be a lab tech at the engineering firm my dad works at. Should pay pretty decently for a summer job, too. Pretty much all going into savings for next semester, though maybe a bit can go aside for a demo skydive, a tattoo, and some pony merch (always gotta fit that into your budget :P).

I work a job I've been doing for a number of years. Work in a command center / call center 6:30am-6:30pm. Thur-Sat and every other Wed (so half the week I'm off, half the week I'm on) Pretty techincal, not overly so. Troubleshooting merchant issues and some help desk functions. Good pay and benefits. It does get a bit boring at times but i find plenty of time to surf which is a huge bonus. Not terribly close to the exisitng crew so it's a bit more lonely then i'd like (i have some friends that i play foosball in neighboring departments). No one knows I'm a brony or a musician and i think that could be a problem in such a professional environment. But its the right match of routine, self-managed work (my boss isn't even in the same city), and plenty of past experience to keep me there.     

I work at an accounting office for an ag company that grows strawberries and bell peppers. I've done every tearfully boring office task you can think of...and more. Invoicing, filing, reconciling bank statements, filing, processing AP bills from our vendors and making payments on them, filing, keeping track of our growers' promissory notes, filing, answering the phones, and...did I mention filing?

My main job revolves around payroll, which is to say, sifting through hundreds of employee time cards, accounting for how many hours they work each day, how many boxes they pick during the piece rate season, which fields they're working in, and finally cutting their paychecks...which are, sadly, often much bigger than mine even at their minimum wage of $8.00 and my wage of $11.50. Not that they don't deserve it, though, it's more than honest labor.

I do not enjoy this job. At all. My payroll related tasks aren't so bad, I could actually be more or less content with that kind of work. But my boss is just the worst kind of person. The less I say, the better, but let me just tell you, for someone with the title of accounts payable "controller," she isn't exactly on top of things. Like, at ALL. In fact, I have never worked under anyone so inept, nor do I think I'll ever work under anyone this inept ever again. Even all my other coworkers who've been here much longer than I have (I'll have been working here for 5 years come this October) are constantly trying to decipher the inane, incoherent instructions she gives, only to have her bitch at them later because she can never seem to remember ANYTHING she says, and will often outright deny ever having said something. She is just awful, and she's the reason I want to leave. She's also the main reason my sister (who helped me get the job) and many others before her have quit. Why the owner keeps her around, I will never know...

I work for an Internet-monitoring company. We work with various bank, government, and law enforcement agencies to monitor and identify potential security threats against our clientele. I have been with the company for almost four years now, and primarily work nights.

At the moment I'm just a humble cashier making minimum wage at RCSS. I'm pretty good at my job (for being a guy, as many people have made a point of telling me <_< ), but I can't stand all the stupid people I deal with. Nothing ever really changes either, and I don't like that. However, all hope is not lost! A couple months ago, I started taking a heavy duty/commercial transport mechanics course at the university here in town. In short, I'm gonna become a transit bus mechanic. I've already secured a work practicum with our local transit authority, and an apprenticeship there is a very real possibility. This has all just happened in the last few days and I'm very excited to see how it'll all unfolds. :D

I work overnights at a grocery store. Doing the super fun job of stocking the shelves.

Actually I don't really hate the job. There are aspects of it I don't care for, though. The first being the hours. Combined with a full-time college schedule (in a city over an hour away) it has taken its toll on me. Everybody thinks I'm crazy, both my coworkers and my professors, because I have to stay up long amounts of time twice a week to get into my night schedule and back out of my night schedule for the school week.

But I have to do it because I can't have my parents or anybody else paying for my tuition.

Still, as much as I'm not bothered by the job itself I don't like the schedule. I hated it last summer when it was all I was doing, too. It's no fun having to miss out on everything because I have to sleep during the day.

On top of that, it has totally messed with my body. I'm sleepy all of the time now. On my days off during the summer I could never really stay up during the day like I wanted to, so I only slightly varied from my work schedule, still being up mostly during the night. Which was not good because I can't practice at home during the nights.

Still, I kind of look forward to this summer because even though those are 'nights' off, they're time off. And I haven't had time off lately from anything. Right now knowing I was getting two days off would feel like I was getting a month off.

• 5 months later...

post-4006-0-17540500-1379657187_thumb.jpg

I work at Hannafords, a massive grocery store chain based in Maine and found throughout New England. It's been next door to where I live my entire life, and I've spent an accumulative several weeks in there, even before I started working there several months ago. I work as a produce department associate, dealing with fruits and veggies all day long. It's a demanding job, in that there's always lots to do and expectations for what should be getting done, but it's easily worlds better than my previous job at Toys R Us. At Hannafords, I don't have to deal with being a stupid cashier like with TRU <:'3 It's all floor work, which I love.

My availability is from 10 AM to 8 PM (the later time being when the Produce Department closes). Thus, I'm usually if not always a closer.  So I'm usually anything from noon to 8, to 11 to 6 or 7. I despise mornings with a burning passion, since I'm a die-hard night owl, so I'm glad my hours have worked out so well this way :)

I don't particularly enjoy closing alone. Stresses me out :3 That's something that's never going to go away, as there will always be nights where it's like that, but I'll get over it slowly as I do it more and more often.

Experience, mang.

BTDubs here's me levitating a broken down salad box.

post-4006-0-90511800-1379657440_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

As of now I'm doing an internship during the weekdays  I'm interning for a designer in NYC.  Usually my day here could be from 6 hours to whenever at her place alone. but it's very rewarding I'm learning a lot of skills and meeting wonderful different types of people. I even get to help out during fashion week.

and on weekends I work at a boutique in Soho.

• 1 year later...

If you don't mind sharing, where do you work? Do you enjoy it or not?

I (hopefully, if my interview goes well) am a shelving page at the Hamilton East Public Library - FIshers Branch in Fishers, Indiana, USA. It's a good job for me as I don't work well under huge amounts of pressure, and what kind of pressure do you expect at a library? xD

Pay is good too, it's over Indiana's minimum wage of $7.25 (so around $8.50 an hour).

If you don't mind sharing, where do you work? Do you enjoy it or not?

I (hopefully, if my interview goes well) am a shelving page at the Hamilton East Public Library - FIshers Branch in Fishers, Indiana, USA. It's a good job for me as I don't work well under huge amounts of pressure, and what kind of pressure do you expect at a library? xD

Pay is good too, it's over Indiana's minimum wage of $7.25 (so around $8.50 an hour).

Don't have a job.

All but impossible to find one when you live in a small town in the south in this economy.

Edited by MetaKnight145

Don't have a job.

All but impossible to find one when you live in a small town in the south in this economy.

I understand that.

My brother is in the US Army, and one town in the south he was in (Hinesville, Georgia) didn't have much either. Now he's in El Paso, which I am glad cause I didn't really like Hinesville that much when I visited him.

I work at a gas station. Don't hate it, don't love it. Keeps me from being homeless and fuels my game buying so I can't complain.

I do want a better job but I don't have any skills, don't have money for school and have no car so can't travel very far anyway. I'm 24 and my life isn't going very well. I started too late and now I'll be lucky if I can live on my own by the time I'm 30.

No job.

Never had one, tried looking for one in the summer, but alas it was difficult. Didn't even get through the application part. Nobody even gave me an interview. I was really disappointed, I mean how am I supposed to get experience when nobody gives me a chance at getting experience? >_>

But when I go off to college next year I'm gonna hardcore go looking for one, preferably on campus.

I work at an ice cream shop, being the winter(or is it autumn, can't tell with snow on the ground lol) it is rather low hours, though that really doesn't bother me much as they collect all the tips and hand them out for tuition to the employees that work the most. Pretty easy job that is good for getting through college and having some spending money. Wouldn't mind doing something to jumpstart my career when I get out of college though.