Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fallout: Equestria, do you have to play fallout to understand the story?

Stetson West

i was wondering, do u have to play fallout in order to understand the fan fic fallout:equestria cause i havent played fallout before (though i really should) and i dont wanna throw myself into the fan fic, not knowing anything about the game and also, is fallout equestria based on fallout 3 or is it something completely different?

I haven't played Fallout OR read the fanfiction, but I'm positive that playing will help you understand a ton.

I know there would be references and spoilers to the game, as well.

I've read very little FOE, but I can say that playing FO is recommended. If you don't, you'll still probably be able to understand everything, but will miss out on a ton of references and concepts taken directly from the series.

As for which game, I'd highly, highly recommend FO2 or FO:NV. FO and FO2 are both really long, have extensive plots and subplots, a turnbased tactical battle system, and are simply much more RPGs than the later installments (which are more FPSs with some RPG elements, FO3 especially. NV is starting to get back into RPG territory). If you want to play one of the new games, go with NV. FO3 takes place on the East Coast, where the rest of the series takes place on the West Coast, and as such, basically because Bethesda didn't want to worry about canon when making it. It's also, as many describe it, basically just Oblivion with guns, and not a real Fallout game. Which is fine, but you won't be getting a real FO experience with 3.

i would say know but there would be little details that you would rely know, but it is not required.

also i'd go as far a to say that its better to read FOE first because i started reading FOE and could not get into it because i have played all the fallouts and i always ended up over thinking it also Fallout is always better to play then to read.

Having never played a Fallout game but having read FOE, I can attest that playing the Fallout games is not required in order to enjoy or understand the story. Only real benefit in it is noticing references or nods towards the games such as the city names or locations like The Republic or Arbu, among other things.

Having read FoE and a few sidefics and also played Fallout 1, 3 and New Vegas I'd say there's no need to play the games to understand and enjoy the fic.

All there really is is a few references to the games: some technologies, names and scenarios. All of which make sense without playing the games.

Although I do recommend you play the games as well, for their own merit.

You can get Fallout 1, 2 and Tatics here for $19.99

If you're interested there's demos avaliable for Fallout 1 and Tatics.

I've read the fanfiction and I barely even knew about the Fallout game, now I'm making fan art and working on a mod for New Vegas.

Anything that is needed for the story it explains in detail, and while there are references to the games here and there, you don't need any prior experience with the games to understand what's going on.

Though while I haven't played Fallout 3 or New Vegas myself, I hear that the fanfiction is a lot more intense than the actual games.

Well I don’t think its necessary but it helps. there was a lot of things in it taken from the game so it's more a reference issue than anything else.

I love the games myself. But as far as the FOE... I've read the story and I'm kind of mixed on it. I loved the history and most of the logic of the history that kkat built to show where they are at in the story. my dislike was the main character itself. I just don’t care for Lil Pip… I can handle everything else for the most part.

All I can say is read it and judge it for yourself

Edited by Argumedies

I've read it or rather listened to it on youtube and I can say that you might not need to play the games themselves but I highly recommend them because what's better then blowing up a raider with a mini nuke launcher.well taking out a super mutant behemoth with the mirv.

• Brohoof 1

I read Fallout Equestria and caught up with Project Horizens. I am now playing Fallout 3, after reading the stories. I had no problems understanding the stories, but I understand them a little bit better now (for example, Pipbucks and S.A.T.S). I loved the stories. You really feel for the horrors the characters are going through as they try to discover themselves in the Wasteland. I highly recommend both of these stories. I need to try some more.

One problem with reading the stories before playing the games is that now I can't help but think of the game characters as their pony versions, like Three Dog as Dj Pon 3.

• Brohoof 1

Like others have said, you don't need it to understand, playing the game will just give you some references and little things here and there will be a little bit cooler.

But it not necessary at all.

Still though, I recommend playing Fallout 3 anyway. I liked it more than New Vegas. And I couldn't get the HD versions of the first two to work so I haven't played those. xD

• Brohoof 1

Heck no, I've read the whole thing and I've never played a Fallout game- I am slightly familiar with some concepts of the series though, so I got most of the references. There are way more MLP references in the story anyway, you should be fine. ;)

As the others have said it isn't really necessary. I haven't finished reading it yet but if anything its just references to the games. I've played F3 and F:NV (need to play 1, 2 and tactics). Personally I prefer fallout 3 over new vegas for various reasons but if i had to sum it up in two words, "hillbilly zombies" nuff said.

*Very angry rant incoming, be prepared...

You don't even need to know what fallout is to read Fallout: Equestria, because it is so far from it that it doesn't even deserve to have the name fallout in it.

An example is, is that the base of Fallout, has a very depressing feeling, however, there is so many things on top of fallout that pretty much hides all the depression, unless of course you focus a bit too much on how a nuclear holocaust it. An example of this is that classic 50's music that you can hear on the radio in-game. It makes for an upbeat, happy atmosphere. Fallout: Equestria has no such thing, so it's generally a pretty depressing story.

Secondly, Every Fallout game has charm too it. Fallout Equestria has none of this charm. To make a long story short, here is a list of everything most of the Fallout games have but Fallout: Equestria doesn't:

1. Vault-Boy

2. A 50's feel to everything

3. 50's music on the radio

4. Super Mutants, you gotta love em'

5. Nuka-Cola and Sunset Sarsaparilla

6. Many of the Wacky weapons, like Euclid's C-finder and the Firelance

7. And so many more it would take me ages to list them all

Lastly, fallout Equestria has no characters, factions, or ties at all with the Fallout games. Sure, there may be the New Lunar Republic, which is a spinoff of New Vegas's and Fallout 2's New California Republic, but other than that, nothing else at all.

Also, everyone here recommends playing Fallout 3. I will admit that I thought that Fallout 3's story line was much deeper and made you feel like a true hero, and many other things that made it awesome, though I recommend playing Fallout: New Vegas over it. Not because it is my personal favorite, it's because the game was developed by Obsidian entertainment, which is a dissolution of Black Isle Studios, who created Fallout 1 and 2. SO by playing Fallout: New Vegas, you will understand a lot more lore about the whole of Fallout than you would if you played Fallout 3. People say that Fallout 3 was the "original Fallout FPS", but that's not true, Fallout New Vegas stayed very close to the content of Fallout 1 and 2. For example, the NCR was in Fallout 2. And lastly, seeing post-apocalyptic Las Vegas is priceless :)

So that's my rant on Fallout Equestria, I never went to far into it, because all of the charm that I love about the Fallout games was gone, so it just left me with a depressing read. Also, ponies don't go that well with depression.

This has been my rant on Fallout: Equestria, thank you very much.

Edited by Lil' Tokyo

No you do not have to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas to understand Fallout Equestria but i highly recommend those two games they are bucking awesome. I mean shooting raiders with a Fat man then laying down a world of hurt on a super mutant behemoth empowers you, makes you feel like a God. *coughs*Sorry to excited there. Anyhow Fallout: Equestria is fanfiction Lil'Tokyo so they can't have any music that they can play without a copy right infringement warning. So uh yeha i'll shut up now before i embarrass myself even more.