Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Rarest video games you own?

SUPERFOX5

A couple of years back my mother bought me an obscure Wii game for Christmas. I wasn't terribly pleased by this, not because of her choice of game but because I insist on not being given anything for Christmas so I don't feel guilty about not spending a dime on holidays. I dread having to buy gifts. Forcing me to walk into a mall during holiday season is just cruel. 

Anyway, on to the game: an old fashioned shoot-em-up called Counter Force. I'd never heard of it before, and a quick Google search revealed that most of the internet hadn't either. Bless my mom's little heart. She was only trying to please me but she's completely out of the loop when it comes to games and is a terrible judge of quality.

counterforceboxart.jpg

I played the thing just to humor her. It wasn't any good. The controls were clunky as heck and made the game an absolute chore to play. The boring art style and story didn't do much to win me over either.

I only played this abomination for a few days before locking it away in some dark place in my room. It hasn't seen the light of day since. Luckily my mom doesn't seem to remember it.

Edited by Rudy Redlin

I can safely say I am one of the owners of only 900000 (Maybe less?) Phillips CD-i consoles in the world. I owned one in Indonesia and we used to play all sorts of educational games there. I remember playing some Hanna Barbara games featuring the Jetsons and the Flintsones. It wasn't the best console, but it definitely was a luxury to have in Indonesia in the 90s.

• Brohoof 1

Oh hey, I just realized I do have a somewhat rare one:

goblincommanderunleashthehorde-01.jpg

Gamecube was a great place to own rare games. I'm sure Xbox had even more rare games since it pretty much bombed compared to the other two.

There's also these gems:

BatenKaitosCover.jpg

Baten_Kaitos_Origins_box.jpg

I don't actually know how rare they are but they are at the very least lesser known and very much overlooked!

• Brohoof 2

20130609_120735_zpsf18afa2f.jpg

I actually managed to get the lock-on cartridge of Sonic & Knuckles as well as getting a copy of Buster's Hidden Treasure. Oh and I also managed to get Ecco the Dolphin lol. 

Most people would be surprised just how hard it is to get their hooves on a copy of Sonic 3. Sonic 1 and 2 are both dirt-common (and as a result, dirt-cheap), but the 3rd one is a different story. I've actually wanted to get a Sega CD for a while now just because Sonic CD and Snatcher. I love those games.

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Probably Simcity 3000 unlimited or Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I don't know if you would call them rare but there old and very good games.

Probably Simcity 3000 unlimited or Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. I don't know if you would call them rare but there old and very good games.

Can you say childhood? Because I can.

RCT2 was great. Had both expansions. In fact, I think I still have them.

I'm tempted to just go ahead an play it again right now.

Edited by Gary Oak

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Can you say childhood? Because I can.

RCT2 was great. Had both expansions. In fact, I think I still have them.

I'm tempted to just go ahead an play it again right now.

Yes, RCT2 was an great game but Simcity 3000 ties exactly with it. So I don't have a most favorite instead I have two most favorites.

Are any of the Tak games rare? I have Tak 2 and Tak: The great Juju challenge. Please respond, if they are rare, in any way, or respond, telling me if they are not.

No, they really aren't. Sorry to be the one to break the bad news. :/

Gamecube games in general don't go for much, actually. The rarest one that comes to mind is the GC version of Twilight Princess, though even that isn't particularly rare.

I'm pretty sure there are certain copies of the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition that go for a pretty penny, though.

No, they really aren't. Sorry to be the one to break the bad news. :/

Gamecube games in general don't go for much, actually. The rarest one that comes to mind is the GC version of Twilight Princess, though even that isn't particularly rare.

I'm pretty sure there are certain copies of the Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition that go for a pretty penny, though.

Yeah, even really rare Gamecube games like Lost Kingdoms are pretty cheap. $50-ish at most.

Although Tak was on PS2 as well but most platformers like that aren't really rare. You want rare you go to genres like RPGs or Shmups.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, even really rare Gamecube games like Lost Kingdoms are pretty cheap. $50-ish at most.

Although Tak was on PS2 as well but most platformers like that aren't really rare. You want rare you go to genres like RPGs or Shmups.

I've seen some uncommon PS2 games that go for pretty cheap on Amazon.

Example: I've never been able to find a copy of Dragon Quest 8 in-person(I've been to plenty of used game stores, but with no luck).

On Amazon it's less than 30 bucks, last time I checked.

I'm lucky I was able to get Lufia II for the SNES at such a cheap price, though. Have you seen how much that game goes for, box included?

It's jaw-dropping.

The only particularly rare video game I ever owned was a dev company-copy of Azurik, one of the, imho, best platformer/rpg games on the original XBox. For some reason, all the critics hated and panned it, but the level designs were so ridiculously inventive and while the story and voice acting weren't the best, the sheer cinema of the narrative was unparalleled at that time. It also had some of the best graphics on the console.

In fact, the graphics themselves were so uniquely programmed that they're nigh-impossible to emulate. The only way to play the game is to have an actual copy.

I don't have my copy anymore. 13 years and 8 moves later and it up and vanished. If I ever find it, I'll play the hell out of it though.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen some uncommon PS2 games that go for pretty cheap on Amazon.

Example: I've never been able to find a copy of Dragon Quest 8 in-person(I've been to plenty of used game stores, but with no luck).

On Amazon it's less than 30 bucks, last time I checked.

I'm lucky I was able to get Lufia II for the SNES at such a cheap price, though. Have you seen how much that game goes for, box included?

It's jaw-dropping.

Good lord, that's worse than Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I've always wanted to play Lufia II but I don't think that's gonna be at all possible unless I use an emulator. ;-;

The only particularly rare video game I ever owned was a dev company-copy of Azurik, one of the, imho, best platformer/rpg games on the original XBox. For some reason, all the critics hated and panned it, but the level designs were so ridiculously inventive and while the story and voice acting weren't the best, the sheer cinema of the narrative was unparalleled at that time. It also had some of the best graphics on the console.

In fact, the graphics themselves were so uniquely programmed that they're nigh-impossible to emulate. The only way to play the game is to have an actual copy.

I don't have my copy anymore. 13 years and 8 moves later and it up and vanished. If I ever find it, I'll play the hell out of it though.

I never had an original Xbox but I've found that there are so many exclusive games that I missed out on that were pretty amazing. Azurik is one that I knew the existence of but never got to play.

Good lord, that's worse than Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I've always wanted to play Lufia II but I don't think that's gonna be at all possible unless I use an emulator. ;-;

You totally should. It's amazing.

I actually think if you find it in a used game store that's stupid enough to sell it for under 30 bucks (basically, what happened to me) then by all means go for it.

Otherwise, yeah. Emulators are your friend.

Oh hey, I just remembered I do have another rare game: Summoner. I don't think many people even liked the game cuz it has terrible graphics (like...PS1-level with a bit of extra draw distance) and loading times but I got it at Gamestop. I love buying games on a whim.

Someday I will have to get back to it so I can get Summoner 2.

You totally should. It's amazing.

I actually think if you find it in a used game store that's stupid enough to sell it for under 30 bucks (basically, what happened to me) then by all means go for it.

Otherwise, yeah. Emulators are your friend.

I haven't used emulators for a long time but this is one instance where I might just go for it. There's some games that I will never be able to find at any decent price, particularly on SNES where there's a lot of rare games out there.

I never had an original Xbox but I've found that there are so many exclusive games that I missed out on that were pretty amazing. Azurik is one that I knew the existence of but never got to play.

I have fond memories of the game, playing it when I was much younger. In fact, it was the very first game I played that had nothing to do with nintendo. It's basically what introduced me to higher-concept RPG games that'd turn me into a much more serious gamer later on.

The Xbox originals are frustrating because many of them were very good, but ignored, and they were also few in number, meaning that there was never an interest in developing a true xbox emulator. Work is STILL being done on the only stable emulator, and it is not anywhere near to completion.

Although, to be fair, Dolphin's emulation of GC games isn't all that great either, and those are in high demand, so emulation in general is a pain in the ass.

Back to the topic, I recall that no person I have ever met has ever had a copy of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. While by no means truly rare, it is still uncommon. I also played the hell out of that game.

The multiplayer was a rip-off though, what with the gameboy connection and such.

Oh hey, I just remembered I do have another rare game: Summoner. I don't think many people even liked the game cuz it has terrible graphics (like...PS1-level with a bit of extra draw distance) and loading times but I got it at Gamestop. I love buying games on a whim.

Someday I will have to get back to it so I can get Summoner 2.

I haven't used emulators for a long time but this is one instance where I might just go for it. There's some games that I will never be able to find at any decent price, particularly on SNES where there's a lot of rare games out there.

Just looked up Summoner. Kinda reminds me of Runescape in a way, though much more, you know, playable.

Yeah, no kidding. With SNES games, they either basically spawned billions of the same game out of nowhere or hardly made any copies of it at all.

If you play it though, be prepared for an eargasm. Multiple eargasms. I'll just leave it at that.

I have fond memories of the game, playing it when I was much younger. In fact, it was the very first game I played that had nothing to do with nintendo. It's basically what introduced me to higher-concept RPG games that'd turn me into a much more serious gamer later on.

The Xbox originals are frustrating because many of them were very good, but ignored, and they were also few in number, meaning that there was never an interest in developing a true xbox emulator. Work is STILL being done on the only stable emulator, and it is not anywhere near to completion.

Although, to be fair, Dolphin's emulation of GC games isn't all that great either, and those are in high demand, so emulation in general is a pain in the ass.

Back to the topic, I recall that no person I have ever met has ever had a copy of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. While by no means truly rare, it is still uncommon. I also played the hell out of that game.

The multiplayer was a rip-off though, what with the gameboy connection and such.

I don't know why companies thing backwards compatibility is a waste of money aside from the required hardware parts. There are a TON of games people would love to play but can't because old consoles are expensive and old games are even more expensive.

I love Crystal Chronicles. I wish I had a GBA connector so I could try the multiplayer (as that seems to be one of the focuses of the game) but aside from that I very much enjoyed the setting and story. Dat final boss. I also loved the music in that game. I'm a huge fan of Celtic music.

Just looked up Summoner. Kinda reminds me of Runescape in a way, though much more, you know, playable.

Yeah, no kidding. With SNES games, they either basically spawned billions of the same game out of nowhere or hardly made any copies of it at all.

If you play it though, be prepared for an eargasm. Multiple eargasms. I'll just leave it at that.

I'd compare Summoner more to something like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. You know, oldschool D&D type RPGs. It has an amazing lore system though, that's for sure.

I'd compare Summoner more to something like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. You know, oldschool D&D type RPGs. It has an amazing lore system though, that's for sure.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I've never had any experience with those sorts of RPGs. A little before my time. Though it seems like something I could get into, no doubt there.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I've never had any experience with those sorts of RPGs. A little before my time. Though it seems like something I could get into, no doubt there.

You got a PC or laptop made in the last few years using Windows? GoG has a bunch of old PC games and most of them should run fine on any computer.

Edited by Discordian

You got a PC or laptop made in the last few years using Windows? GoG has a bunch of old PC games and most of them should run fine on any computer.

Yeah, if it runs on XP, I'm good to go. I'll be sure to check it out sometime in the near future when I have some downtime. Any recommendations on there? :P

Yeah, if it runs on XP, I'm good to go. I'll be sure to check it out sometime in the near future when I have some downtime. Any recommendations on there? :P

Sad as it is to say I've not had much of a chance to explore. I'm more of a console gamer and only recently got a laptop that I can game on but if you join the site you get a few free games like Ultima IV and Treasure Adventure Game (the latter I highly recommend) but beyond that I can't tell you much beyond Planescape which is the only one I've actually bought so far and Baldur's Gate which is made in the same style.