Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I get really sad whenever I see it. Not because of the news itself, but because when I was reading the article confirming it on EQD, my grandma called and told me that my grandpa had passed away. So instead of thinking about anything pony related when Twilicorn pops up, I think about how my grandpa isn't here anymore...

How unfortunate of you. Looking at some exciting news and interrupted with some tragic news. Sigh, I greive for your dreadful loss of your grandpa. May he be with the Lord.

• Brohoof 1

I never cared for this transformation.

It's caused unspeakable arguments and pain.

BUT

Maybe it has a tiny bit of potential.

If aligned to a grand plan and vision.

Edited by Phoenix237

Some of you might be frustrated, some of you might accept it, some of you are sad. But what is your current reaction/feeling townardcs Alicorn Twilight?

Your topic, 'Your reaction to Twilicorn now?' has been merged with our global thread for Twilicorn discussion, 'Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [spoilerS]'. Asking people if their thoughts on something has changed since it first came out isn't in need of its' own topic, especially a heated discussion like this one that the staff try to keep contained to a single thread ^^

Some of you might be frustrated, some of you might accept it, some of you are sad. But what is your current reaction/feeling townardcs Alicorn Twilight?

I don't mind it. They could go as far as saying she's Celestia's daughter. Neither do I mind her becoming a princess.

My problem with all this is the way it sounds like they will handle these changes. For starters, this is a two-parter material. Second, It's too soon. They will need a lot of explanations and not enough time.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/words-of-faust-cadance-wasnt-originally.html

More scandal. When Faust was working on MLP Cadence wasn't originally an alicorn. It seems like Twilight isn't the first to be subject to the change. Hasbro must love alicorns. Anyone know if alicorns are the most liked toys for girls?

Edited by poniesforfun

Have some images from the finale:

img-1171598-1-MLP_313_07.jpg

img-1171598-2-MLP_313_010.jpg

And these two you've probably already seen...

img-1171598-3-MLP_313_019.jpg

img-1171598-4-Twilight_Sparkle_Coronatio

Possible temporary-ness of Twilicorn? Who knows.

Based on these images alone, what gave you the idea that it'll be temporary? Perhaps the image with Twilicorn teleporting back to Ponyville looks like she chose to resign from royalty early to be with her friends? Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Based on these images alone, what gave you the idea that it'll be temporary? Perhaps the image with Twilicorn teleporting back to Ponyville looks like she chose to resign from royalty early to be with her friends?

My first impression of the first image was that it was after she had been transformed into a princess, and now she had been transformed back to normal. But that could also be from right after she changes her friends' cutie marks back to their own, but then why are they all wearing their elements? I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out. :)

yeah I feel like there's been foreshadowing since the first season looking back on it.

If you look at the last episode it seems as though she's been getting some practice already with behaving more like a princess(the whole stick out the hoof and breath thing). Plus her element is a crown. I don't think the transformation will change Twilight completely.

That is what concerned me the most where Cadence was "coaching" Twilight on how to act calm in the face of adversity. Meghan McCarthy said they wouldn't change Twilight's personality, but this scene is a direct contradiction, imho, to her Twitter page.  Hasbro demands the newly adorned Princess act more "Princessy," taking strolls around Equestria in her chariot to promote the toy, they will get what they want. 

Another concern is the uselessness of the other mane6.  A scene from the video promo shows them without their elements.  Why even keep them around is Twilight will now embody the Elements of Harmony.  It's also a great way to kill off characters and introduce new ones, saving money on the amount of voices the VAs do.  Still hoping what I saw was an animation error, but i'm highly doubting it. 

As for my current "reaction/feeling" towards Twilight, i'm on the not liking it, but I don't outright hate the idea.  I truly feel with all my heart the studious unicorn was destined for something more unique.  She could have been made a descendant of Star Swirl with the book produced during episode 2 of S3 beng for her lineage.  It would have been so awesome to break the stereotypical mold to see Twilight ascend to that of a guardian of magic. 

Sadly, what we see here is the downfall of that idea with "every little girl wanting to be a princess" as Megha McCarthy was "coached" to say by Hasbro, quickly updating her twitter to say she wanted to be "Princess Leia" from Star Wars.  This massive change to such an auspicious character just teaches me that I shouldn't have become so invested in the show that I loved it/ it absorbed me.  That is truly my fault.

Edited by Genepool

My first impression of the first image was that it was after she had been transformed into a princess, and now she had been transformed back to normal. But that could also be from right after she changes her friends' cutie marks back to their own, but then why are they all wearing their elements? I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out. :)

You remember the girls using the Elements of Harmony to turn Twilight into an alicorn? Try paying attention to Rainbow and Pinkie's expressions during the promo. I noticed that the two looked freaked out, as if they've lost control over the Elements. Well, in my opinion, it's probably Twilight absorbing her friends' Elements to transform herself into an alicorn, so that she could prepare for her coronation.

By the time she returns from her coronation (and choosing to resign from royalty), she transfers the Elements back into her friends, thus restoring herself to normal. Don't ask why, in the second image, Twilicorn doesn't have her Element tiara, because I don't know why myself. Possibly, Celestia gave Twilight her tiara after accepting her refusal, just so that her student could transfer the Elements back to her friends. The top image of the girls hugging Twilight is your average "end-of-episode group-hug/laugh," as they were glad to have the Elements restored to the girls, and Twilight back by their side.

• Brohoof 1

That is what concerned me the most where Cadence was "coaching" Twilight on how to act calm in the face of adversity. Meghan McCarthy said they wouldn't change Twilight's personality, but this scene is a direct contradiction, imho, to her Twitter page.  Hasbro demands the newly adorned Princess act more "Princessy," taking strolls around Equestria in her chariot to promote the toy, they will get what they want. 

Another concern is the uselessness of the other mane6.  A scene from the video promo shows them without their elements.  Why even keep them around is Twilight will now embody the Elements of Harmony.  It's also a great way to kill off characters and introduce new ones, saving money on the amount of voices the VAs do.  Still hoping what I saw was an animation error, but i'm highly doubting it. 

As for my current "reaction/feeling" towards Twilight, i'm on the not liking it, but I don't outright hate the idea.  I truly feel with all my heart the studious unicorn was destined for something more unique.  She could have been made a descendant of Star Swirl with the book produced during episode 2 of S3 beng for her lineage.  It would have been so awesome to break the stereotypical mold to see Twilight ascend to that of a guardian of magic. 

Sadly, what we see here is the downfall of that idea with "every little girl wanting to be a princess" as Megha McCarthy was "coached" to say by Hasbro, quickly updating her twitter to say she wanted to be "Princess Leia" from Star Wars.  This massive change to such an auspicious character just teaches me that I shouldn't have become so invested in the show that I loved it/ it absorbed me.  That is truly my fault.

Characters always change a bit otherwise they would be stagnant. The coaching Cadence did only suggests that Twilight may have a way to deal with panic (something some people in fandoms desperately need). Just because Twilight has a coping technique doesn't mean we wont see her flip out again. It just means she might be that much more crazy when and if she does. If you dont like change then you probably shouldn't get invested in any shows as most of the good ones have this kind of change, whether mandated in an effort to sell products or not.

Its the same as worrying that Fluttershy wouldn't be as shy after Putting Your Hoof Down. Sure she has demonstrated the ability to be assertive, but that doesn't instantly negate her shy nature. Nor does it mean that she wont still have a tendency to be soft at times. Even the most confident people become apprehensive every now and then. Even the most calm of people are susceptible to panic. Its seems silly to think we will never see her panic again. 

Characters always change a bit otherwise they would be stagnant. The coaching Cadence did only suggests that Twilight may have a way to deal with panic (something some people in fandoms desperately need). Just because Twilight has a coping technique doesn't mean we wont see her flip out again. It just means she might be that much more crazy when and if she does. If you dont like change then you probably shouldn't get invested in any shows as most of the good ones have this kind of change, whether mandated in an effort to sell products or not.

Its the same as worrying that Fluttershy wouldn't be as shy after Putting Your Hoof Down. Sure she has demonstrated the ability to be assertive, but that doesn't instantly negate her shy nature. Nor does it mean that she wont still have a tendency to be soft at times. Even the most confident people become apprehensive every now and then. Even the most calm of people are susceptible to panic. Its seems silly to think we will never see her panic again. 

Character change I don't mind, but massive character change like we saw with Twilight is something I don't like.  I wasn't worried with Fluttershy's character because she would be the same pony.  Twilight on the other hoof, she's undergone a massive transformation into "Princess Twilight Sparkle" and Meghan McCarth talking about it only makes me worry more.  It sounds like she's trying to prepare us for an eventual change of Twilight into a "regal princess" like we see with Princess Celestia. 

I guess it must be Vinyl Scratch making an appearance. That's a win for me, and even more so if she speaks. These pics are making me feel better about the finale :)

Edited by PonyHag1

More spoiler pictures? What a surprise!

Seth mentioned fandom references. I didn't really get how this is a fandom reference, so... Could you tell me if you know? :P

I'mma take a shot in the dark with most of the ponies, but...

The raspberry-colored mane in the top left is probably the mane of Berry Punch.

The blue pony with the white mane down at the bottom left is possibly Screwloose.

The pony in the middle is possibly Daisy.

I know for certain the bottom right pony is Vinyl Scratch. You can see part of her sunglasses.

Dunno who the brown pony is. xD

Character change I don't mind, but massive character change like we saw with Twilight is something I don't like.  I wasn't worried with Fluttershy's character because she would be the same pony.  Twilight on the other hoof, she's undergone a massive transformation into "Princess Twilight Sparkle" and Meghan McCarth talking about it only makes me worry more.  It sounds like she's trying to prepare us for an eventual change of Twilight into a "regal princess" like we see with Princess Celestia. 

Didn't Megan say Twilight would retain her same personality? Why not take what she says to mean...you know... what she says? If your going to argue "oh but Hasbro is making her say that" or "she could be lying" then I guess we can throw everything she or any other staff member has said out the window. It seems far too many are trying to find a hidden meaning behind anything the staff says. And whenever they say something that goes against what some think is happening they are accused of lying. Sometimes they are accused of being bribed by Hasbro.

I don't see how having a coping mechanism to her panic will negate it entirely. Her tendency to panic is still present, but she can now manage it to some degree. Just like Fluttershy now has the ability to put aside her timid nature and be assertive now and then. All of the characters change but they also maintain their original traits. Of course for Twilight this comes with a change in status and wings. If it does come to pass that she becomes a boring regal princess then yes I will be disappointed, but I don't think that will happen.

According to EQD, Daniel Ingram was involved in ALOT of this week's episode. He apparently scored the BGM music, and it's very possible the episode is a musical (kinda hoping it's not, that would detract from the epic premise the episode has).

Also, it's been confirmed that one of the princesses will have a singing part. I'll let you guys guess which one. ;)

Didn't Megan say Twilight would retain her same personality? Why not take what she says to mean...you know... what she says? If your going to argue "oh but Hasbro is making her say that" or "she could be lying" then I guess we can throw everything she or any other staff member has said out the window. It seems far too many are trying to find a hidden meaning behind anything the staff says. And whenever they say something that goes against what some think is happening they are accused of lying. Sometimes they are accused of being bribed by Hasbro.

I don't see how having a coping mechanism to her panic will negate it entirely. Her tendency to panic is still present, but she can now manage it to some degree. Just like Fluttershy now has the ability to put aside her timid nature and be assertive now and then. All of the characters change but they also maintain their original traits. Of course for Twilight this comes with a change in status and wings. If it does come to pass that she becomes a boring regal princess then yes I will be disappointed, but I don't think that will happen.

I just really can't take what Meghan says at face value.  Her comments just have that air of disbelief like you would get out of some automated machine.  There is nothing wrong with character progression and change mind you.  It is 100% truth that characters need to evolve to keep a show fresh, I have to admit that and accept it.  However, Twilight's change isn't something normal.  Her change is a drastic overhaul of the character as she "attains her destiny and emerges as a princess."

The so-called "coping" mechanism concerns me as well since it isn't something a normal person/pony would do, and has a royal/regal mannerism to it.  In all honesty, and quite sadly, I foresee Twilight becoming a more "regal princess" type to sell the products.  Once Hasbro dries up that pretty, pretty princess well, they pitch the adorkable pony into the garbage like some used up waterbottle as they move onto the next character to mess with. 

If her transformation was temporary, or she was granted the title of "Princess" with wings bestowed on her Celestia that lasted for the ceremony, I would have been more accepting.  Instead, I just can't view this as anything more than a great character being butched for the sake of the product.  Probably wrong in my assumption/opinion, but its just what I keep feeling from this.  For me, it's that sense of someone close to you betraying your trust in order to make a quick buck. 

• Brohoof 2

I agree with that first commenter, they are trying way too hard with the whole princess thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are taking the "strong woman" character route, and are just taking the "pretty pretty pink princess" route.

I could be wrong, but those are just the vibes I get from that cover.

Also, where is Luna? Seriously?

• Brohoof 2

Sneak peek clip below:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/My-Little-Pony-Exclusive-Video-1060975.aspx

I found it interesting. We know what happens with the Mane 6 and thier cutie marks already, but this adds more.

YESH! YESH! YESH!

This episode looks to be the absolute BEST! Southern Pinkie Pie! Vinyl Scratch! A musical! Oh boy, Saturday can't come quick enough!

Also, anyone find it a might bit strange that Applejack still had her accent?

What I found odd was that the ponies felt they *had* to do things they weren't suited for, just because of the cutie marks they had. I always felt cutie marks were an indication of what you were best at and meant to do, not some "destiny" that you had to follow no matter what.

I'd like to hear AJ sing "Art Of The Dress". :)

It startled me to see Vinyl looking PO'ed for a moment, when we're used to seeing her smiling. I guess she wanted to get the music started :)