Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Okay...

That was weird... But I'm not going to question how magic works in Equestria. I kind of like it. It's just that's the first time we see a "spoken" spell. Unless Celestia is actively trying to make Twilight awake... Well... Sure, Twilight is strong, but Celestia herself couldn't complete the spell? Seriously?! What does she do in Equestria?!

Ensuring the sun rises each day ensuring the stability of all life in Equestria. Negotiate with all the provinces in her domain as well as with foreign nations. Before she was also responsible for bringing night, meaning raising the moon, and most likely ensuring the stability of dreams. Thats only what has been confirmed so far in the show. She probably has many more tasks not presented in the show.

Sometimes it takes a different mind and perspective to figure things out. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with power just figuring out how the spell works. 

• Brohoof 1

Ensuring the sun rises each day ensuring the stability of all life in Equestria. Negotiate with all the provinces in her domain as well as with foreign nations. Before she was also responsible for bringing night, meaning raising the moon, and most likely ensuring the stability of dreams. Thats only what has been confirmed so far in the show. She probably has many more tasks not presented in the show.

Sometimes it takes a different mind and perspective to figure things out. This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with power just figuring out how the spell works. 

Yes. Problem is that alicorns were supposed to be special. She's just a ruler and do things that any other ponies could be doing. Well, maybe it's just me disappointed that Celestia changed so much from season one.

Sure, the problem, actually, is that we just don't see her doing the stuff she and her sister do. I mean, Luna got her appearance in Sleepless in Ponyville.

And while I agree with you about perspective, it's like when the student teaches the teacher. But isn't it a bit too far fetched that she is "the only one" who can? I mean, sure, she is special, but she can't just know as much as Celestia and Starswirl. It's like a school grade student figuring out something a PhD can't.

At this point, some of my Twilicorn wariness remains but I'm excited for the possibilities. And even if they're not showing us anything of the coronation (and pacing is a concern)... Pinkie with accent? Rarity being fabulous? Songs? Color me hyped.

I dunno just what'll happen, but I'm looking forward to it.

Hmmm, that's an interesting twist. I've got two theories: 1) Either she is going to face a new enemy as her knighted-yet-pretty-much-the-same self (if my theories about what princesshood means are right) next season, or 2) She is going to have a period where she is a traditional princess (that the DVD will fit into), and it will end with her either returning to being a unicorn at the end of the conflict or still being an alicorn but stepping down from power.

Either way, dat hiatus is going to be murder.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Yes. Problem is that alicorns were supposed to be special. She's just a ruler and do things that any other ponies could be doing. Well, maybe it's just me disappointed that Celestia changed so much from season one.

Sure, the problem, actually, is that we just don't see her doing the stuff she and her sister do. I mean, Luna got her appearance in Sleepless in Ponyville.

And while I agree with you about perspective, it's like when the student teaches the teacher. But isn't it a bit too far fetched that she is "the only one" who can? I mean, sure, she is special, but she can't just know as much as Celestia and Starswirl. It's like a school grade student figuring out something a PhD can't.

How has Celestia changed? Sure we have learned more of her limitations, but she really hasn't held a spotlight in an episode yet for character development. I think your referring to the status of alicorns, but we were and still are ignorant of what it means to be one. We are also still largely ignorant of Celestias powers and limitations.

So wait other ponies can control the sun? Also I don't think most if any other ponies would have the extreme experience in negotiation that she has. Also her permanence would make her have even more of an effect, dignitaries would be dealing with someone who has over 1000 years of knowledge of their civilization. Not only that but it has been shown that Celestia can defiantly get a read on a pony's personalitie and abilities. 

She clearly is more than just a ruler. Her and her sisters very presence in integral to the whole balance of Equestria. They have control over major celestial bodies that govern whether life can be sustained or not.

I dont think its too far fetched. Celestia might have been puzzling over this for an untold length of time. Over one thousand years at least. In that time she couldn't figure out how it worked. Nor could Luna who clearly knew about it (book). Twilight was the only pony within Celstia's knowledge who had the talent in magic and more importantly the smarts to possibly figure it out. After one thousand years finally a fresh pair of eyes would pear into the unfinished magician's work. Who better than Twilight? After all she has demonstrated the ability to solve seemingly insoluble problems time and time again. Even the most intelligent people need a completely fresh pair of eyes from colleagues. Unfortunately Celestia really only has her sister. Cadence though an alicorn seems below their level of ability in terms of wide ranging magical knowledge. Shining Armor specifies in defense magic so he's out. That really only leaves Twilight. 

Also Celestia did write that she believes Twilight is the only one, not that she is for matter of fact the only one.

"I consider the season finale of [MLP:FiM] a 3-parter. [You] just won't get to see parts 2 and 3 for awhile. But it will be worth the wait."

-Meghan McCarthy, writer

Source: https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/302576012804366336

Yessssss! I've always wanted a 3-parter. And even though we'll be waiting for a long time, this makes me very happy!

• Brohoof 1

"I consider the season finale of [MLP:FiM] a 3-parter. [You] just won't get to see parts 2 and 3 for awhile. But it will be worth the wait."

-Meghan McCarthy, writer

Yessssss! I've always wanted a 3-parter. And even though we'll be waiting for a long time, this makes me very happy!

Wait does this mean that it's going to continnue into the beginning of season 4? Ok that's kinda even more unsettling. Now we have to wait several months to see how this turns out. Well played Hasbro/HUB/writers... well played. 

Wait does this mean that it's going to continnue into the beginning of season 4? Ok that's kinda even more unsettling. Now we have to wait several months to see how this turns out. Well played Hasbro/HUB/writers... well played. 

I actually kinda like the idea. Tons of shows do it; it makes MLP seem like a more mature show to me. Also, it sounds like it won't really end with too much of a cliffhanger, probably something small that will have some continuation at the beginning of the 4th season. You have to admit, though, a 3-parter would be awesome! :)

• Brohoof 1

-Meghan McCarthy, writer

season finale is considered a 3-Parter?! oh no. they better not...

it better not end on a "To Be Continued..." or i SWEAR TO GOD I WILL (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ IN RAGE!

Edited by crazitaco

How has Celestia changed? Sure we have learned more of her limitations, but she really hasn't held a spotlight in an episode yet for character development. I think your referring to the status of alicorns, but we were and still are ignorant of what it means to be one. We are also still largely ignorant of Celestias powers and limitations.

So wait other ponies can control the sun? Also I don't think most if any other ponies would have the extreme experience in negotiation that she has. Also her permanence would make her have even more of an effect, dignitaries would be dealing with someone who has over 1000 years of knowledge of their civilization. Not only that but it has been shown that Celestia can defiantly get a read on a pony's personalitie and abilities. 

She clearly is more than just a ruler. Her and her sisters very presence in integral to the whole balance of Equestria. They have control over major celestial bodies that govern whether life can be sustained or not.

I dont think its too far fetched. Celestia might have been puzzling over this for an untold length of time. Over one thousand years at least. In that time she couldn't figure out how it worked. Nor could Luna who clearly knew about it (book). Twilight was the only pony within Celstia's knowledge who had the talent in magic and more importantly the smarts to possibly figure it out. After one thousand years finally a fresh pair of eyes would pear into the unfinished magician's work. Who better than Twilight? After all she has demonstrated the ability to solve seemingly insoluble problems time and time again. Even the most intelligent people need a completely fresh pair of eyes from colleagues. Unfortunately Celestia really only has her sister. Cadence though an alicorn seems below their level of ability in terms of wide ranging magical knowledge. Shining Armor specifies in defense magic so he's out. That really only leaves Twilight. 

Also Celestia did write that she believes Twilight is the only one, not that she is for matter of fact the only one.

When Celestia and Luna are presented during the opening scenes in the first episode they are presented as presented almost as deities. When Nightmare Moon refuses to lower the moon it's implied that only with the power of the Elements of Harmony anyone is capable of stopping her. That means that out of every pony, griffon, zebra, whatever, in Equestria, no one had any means of stopping her. Even Celestia. This is also important because it shows that her power over the moon could not be overridden. Assuming that Celestia works the same way, her connection to the sun must be the same.

This is much deeper than what they did on the Hearth Warming Eve episode, where it's said that the unicorns moved the sun and the moon around. True, they don't say how many, but I can imagine some sort of group of unicorns whose duty is to raise the sun and the moon. My point is that Celestia is just not necessary anymore and neither is Luna. Suddenly both sisters are just weird pegasi with horns that just aren't addressed in the episode like they didn't even exist at the time. Which is possible, since now alicorns are not even a different race anymore, but ponies who ascended somehow. This is what I mean when I say that she's changed.

About her skills as ruler, I agree. But where did you get this about reading ponies abilities and personalities?

What you say then, about how important she is, would be true of Season One's Celestia. And one of the reasons I think that it's far fetched for Celestia to just decide that Twilight can finish Starswirl's work is that there a gigantic gap of knowledge between them exactly because Celestia has 1000+ years of experience. Magic in Equestria must be studied, surely there are things that Celestia knows that Twilight doesn't. Perspective depends on your acumulated knowledge too, because it allows you to think of alternatives when you're stuck. Also, I'm pretty sure there must be a big gap of knowledge between what Twlight knows and what Starswirl knew. But that's nota a problem if Celestia is doing this on purpose. 

Edited by moonlightavenger

What exactly did Cadence do to ascend, though? Did she already have elevated status at birth due to her relations with Celestia and Luna? And what about her normal mane (and Twilicorn's normal mane) vs the aural manes that Luna and Celestia have?

Things like this are why I think Alicorns are tiered. Either by levels of power, or by them being two separate races. Or mortal ponies that are in positions of power are given the powers of all three races and made into "Alicorns" to reflect Celestia and Luna, even though they might lack some of their other abilities, like immortality/extreme longevity.

On the subject, the prospects of Alicorn immortality (or at least extreme longevity) disturbs me slightly. If both Cadence and Twilight have the longevity that Celestia and Luna have (which I doubt, as stated above), they will be forced to watch their husband and friends, respectively, wither and die before their eyes. That's why I think both Cadence and Twilight are mortals. Plus it would explain why Luna and Celestia tend to stay arms-length with their subjects - they know that if they got too personal with any of their subjects, that they would one day be forced to watch them succumb to the sands of time.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 4

I'd like to see these issues addressed, but honestly, I don't think that the producers even think about this stuff.

This has been said a lot, but the Sisters need an episode about them. I'd love to see that Celestia has a wall or something, perhaps a book with pictures of her past students. Like Luna had hers, Celestia needs an awesome moment. It feels like it was supposed to be the scene where where she raises the sun in Cutie Mark Chronicles, but it lost it's "impact" after Hearth Warming Eve. And them she lost to the bug-thing that was high on love, while a new alicorn pops into existence.

Where did the Elements of Harmony come from? What exactly are they? Just what is their connection to their bearers? What where Luna and Celestia doing before they become princesses?

Really. I want to know just who is Cadance and why she's an alicorn too. But most importantly, I'd like to see just how important is the tile of princess and what it is and how does Blueblood fits in. Supposedly it will be answered in the episode.

• Brohoof 1

hello.

I want to point out something people fail to notice. We know
ma larson wrote the episode but if you want get a idea what he thinks
about princesses just watch his interview from free radio dated october.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nNXReDfaA 

i recommend watching the whole thing or skip to the 55:35

Its a very interesting interview i recommend people watch it. It will give you some insight on where he is taking the series to. The way he describes princess is basically whats happening in series. it has some similarities with disney princess.

To me its, different to lauren faust orginal idea.

• Brohoof 1

GUYS. I just discovered something wonderful. It's just a thought of mine that may or may not happen in the finale.

You know that spell Twilight accidentally uses to switch the cutie marks? I think it goes something like this:

"From one to another, another to one, a mark of one's destiny, singled out alone, fullfilled."

singled out alone, FULLFILLED.

Twilight was the only one of her friends to keep her own cutie mark, therefore she was singled out. So it was HER destiny that was to be fullfilled. That means that Twi becoming an Alicorn might have been part of this spell! Well of course she would have to fix it because she can't stay a princess forever and that her friends shouldn't have mixed destinies

This is just my thoughts though, as I said before. It may not happen so just keep calm guys.

Edited by Flutterdash.
  • Brohoof 3

Lauren Faust when developing the show intended for Celestia and Luna to be the only Alicorns. She was involved with the development of Cadence but she was never designed to be an Alicorn. In fact Faust was shocked at learning Cadence was an Alicorn. Hasbro did that to boost sales. They did this with the Canterlot wedding set and they will continue to do this by directing the story as they see fit. And generally that should be left to the writers.

• Brohoof 1

A three parter, eh? Now I'm starting to wonder if those "Discord is Starswirl the Bearded" rumors have some weight to them. I mean, it doesn't seem like Magical Mystery Cure has a villain persay, and it's sounding like it'll be resolved by the end of the episode...

Oh the suspense is killing me!

• Brohoof 1

Also note, just because it's in three parts, doesn't mean we'll see parts 2 & 3 at the beginning of season 4. They might space them out, with part 3 being the season 4 finale. ;)

Also note, just because it's in three parts, doesn't mean we'll see parts 2 & 3 at the beginning of season 4. They might space them out, with part 3 being the season 4 finale. ;)

Doubtful, if it's a three-part (spiritually or conically), there's very little chance they'd try to squeeze self contained stories inbetween acts. I'm relatively certain if what Meghan says is true, part 2 & 3 will be the Season 4 opener, and I'd bet my remaining kidney that either M.A. Larson or Meghan McCarthy herself wrote it.

Doubtful, if it's a three-part (spiritually or conically), there's very little chance they'd try to squeeze self contained stories inbetween acts. I'm relatively certain if what Meghan says is true, part 2 & 3 will be the Season 4 opener, and I'd bet my remaining kidney that either M.A. Larson or Meghan McCarthy herself wrote it.

That, I would rather see than Twilicorn remaining permanent for the rest of the show. The reason is because I hope to Celestia that the Season Four premiere ends with Twilight sacrificing her princesshood and alicorn form, possibly to save her friends from whatever threat the writers come up for her.

hello.

I want to point out something people fail to notice. We know

ma larson wrote the episode but if you want get a idea what he thinks

about princesses just watch his interview from free radio dated october.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nNXReDfaA 

i recommend watching the whole thing or skip to the 55:35

Its a very interesting interview i recommend people watch it. It will give you some insight on where he is taking the series to. The way he describes princess is basically whats happening in series. it has some similarities with disney princess.

To me its, different to lauren faust orginal idea.

I declare Exterminatus upon Equesria.

The chaotic corruption of Disney has spread beyond our capacity cleanse this land.

• Brohoof 1

Before the biggest part of the drama, I said NO.

Then, during the huge drama, I thought about it some more, and said MAYBE.

Now, after watching the episode, I changed my vote to YES.

Evolution in a show is not a bad thing. 

• Brohoof 5

Before the biggest part of the drama, I said NO.

Then, during the huge drama, I thought about it some more, and said MAYBE.

Now, after watching the episode, I changed my vote to YES.

Evolution in a show is not a bad thing. 

I felt the same way. There was a lot of drama before and now after this, I knew the episode would be good.

Evolution, not a bad thing at all in a show. Your right.

I say YES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGHeQw49ws

• Brohoof 1

I have a few questions..

1) Twilight said that the memories of her friends weren't gone, they just forgot who they are. So why did it show each pony getting their memories back when they got their cutie mark?

2) How did Twilight not think of turning down the offer to become a princess? One would think that her friends mean more to her than anything. In the second episode of the series, Twilight would rather stay in Ponyville than return home to continue her studies. In only two episodes, Twilight considers them all friends. How, after three seasons, Twilight would rather become something that she has no idea how to do, than stay with her friends and continue learning the magic of friendship?

3) How did YOU feel about the episode in its entirety?

4) Do you think the change will be permanent?

• Brohoof 1