Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Wow. O_O I don't want to start a fight, but the "fact" that it's just a commercial is just, like, your opinion, man.

Nothing in the show has ever seemed forced to me; it all fits perfectly into the show. Even if it was just to sell toys, it didn't seem like it to me.  :huh:

I'm not saying the quality reflects that of a commercial. I'm merely saying the show exists as a marketing tool for Hasbro to sell their toys to young girls.

My opinions of it hasn't changed- i still feel like the wings were unnecessary and just acts as a blatant symbol of transcendence, which destroys the equilibrium the mane6 has always had. It also disagrees with a lot of fanfics out there, which I'm a fan of.

Though I retain my faith in M.A Larson; there's no doubt it will be a great episode, hence why I'm not still butt-hurt about it.

I swear to god, if Twili's wings are any bigger then Dashie's.... >.<

• Brohoof 1

I swear to god, if Twili's wings are any bigger then Dashie's.... >.<

Start crying then, because not only are her wings bigger, SHE's bigger.

img-1168002-1-Clipboard01.jpg

So long as she doesn't end up looking like Celestia, I'll be okay with her growth spurt.

i really dont see any problem with her becoming an Alicorn. we are probally making worse than it really is. she might not become one at all and we are all thinking about an "all out war". as i followed this debate i have found out that we as bronies has formed sides. and i personally dont have or want to be on a side. as long as this isnt the end of the TV series, im good. as far as plot wise goes...Twilight will make the right choice if it comes to it. She is smart and wont make wrong choices if it (becoming an Alicorn) causes rifts in her relationship with her friends. if she does...well...she wont be alone in her advanced studies and lessons to come.

Whether this is a good idea or a bad idea depends what they do with it. While I'm in favor of shaking up the status quo - really, to the point that there is no status quo - this feels rushed, like it should come at the end of a story arc or at least a two parter where it can be justified, maybe even made to seem inevitable. Still, plot ideas keep welling up in my head at what can be, storywise, with Alicorn Twilight, so I can't really condemn the decision. We won't really know whether this is the big shark jumping moment until sometime in Season 4. Assuming, of course, that she's still an alicorn at the end of the episode. Remember, they sold crystal Mane Six and that only lasted like fifteen seconds.

You know, I think this whole discussion is missing one really major point that's central to the show's entire premise: If Twilight graduates, becomes an Alicorn and/or a Princess, great for her.  But do you honestly think that she's going to give up on her friends, or that her friends are going to give up on her?

Think about it.  Twilight has been aspiring for most of her life to fulfill her dream - it's not necessarily clearly stated what that dream is, but she's Celestia's beloved student, her protege.  She holds a very special status already in all of Equestria.  And yet she is best friends with five other, arguably much more common ponies.  If she values her friendship with them, she will NOT abandon them when she fulfills her dream, and they won't abandon her because she is too important to them as a friend.

Granted, I haven't read all 47 pages of this topic, but so far everything I've read in this debate has made it sound as though Alicorn Twilight will be fundamentally and radically different from Unicorn Twilight, and that it will kill the show.  I seriously doubt the creative team is going to do that to her - it would go against everything the show has come to represent.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a reaction yet, because it hasn't officially happened before my eyes. I need to see it, how it's done, and then form an opinion. I'm not one of those bronies who freaked out at first news, I instead chose to be cautiously optimistic. Still do. Hopefully it adds a new dynamic to the show that enhances it. Who knows? Just have to wait and see. 

Edited by Twi-Shy-Pie

I honestly don't mind. I mean, like I've said from the beginning.. they are the ones who created this world so much. They created it so why not just sit back and see what happens. With the history of the show, she'll probably be back to normal by the end.

You know, I think this whole discussion is missing one really major point that's central to the show's entire premise: If Twilight graduates, becomes an Alicorn and/or a Princess, great for her.  But do you honestly think that she's going to give up on her friends, or that her friends are going to give up on her?

Think about it.  Twilight has been aspiring for most of her life to fulfill her dream - it's not necessarily clearly stated what that dream is, but she's Celestia's beloved student, her protege.  She holds a very special status already in all of Equestria.  And yet she is best friends with five other, arguably much more common ponies.  If she values her friendship with them, she will NOT abandon them when she fulfills her dream, and they won't abandon her because she is too important to them as a friend.

Granted, I haven't read all 47 pages of this topic, but so far everything I've read in this debate has made it sound as though Alicorn Twilight will be fundamentally and radically different from Unicorn Twilight, and that it will kill the show.  I seriously doubt the creative team is going to do that to her - it would go against everything the show has come to represent.

Maybe the problem is that it won't make much sense anymore.

Joining the synopsis, and Meghan's interview, it is as though the process of becoming an alicorn and becoming a princess is final stage for Twilight to reach.

It doesn't make sense. Is it writing a spell? Well, what happened to Starswirl? Or is it that she now deserves to be a princess because she "shares her gifts"? Well then, in this case, all six should "ascend".

What about Blueblood? He is a prince. How does he fit? The producers don't care for these details anymore? People are seeing this as evidence that the quality is falling apart.

Of course... This all assumes that the synopsis is not misleading opinions.

My first initial reaction was surprised. Then when the news really started to get around, I was wondering if it was going to be true or not because it was really a rumor at the beginning.

Once it came confirmed and a real thing, not just a rumor, also surprised. However, now, I think that it's part of the last episode and only temporary.

The episode does happen to be about the ponies having there destinies switched, and Twilight has to find a way to fix it. Maybe the princess thing is only temporary, and will be be back normal at the end of the episode. But I don't find this likely. Oh well, I have a feeling this episode could be good. Have you guys heard the leaked song?

Maybe the problem is that it won't make much sense anymore.

Joining the synopsis, and Meghan's interview, it is as though the process of becoming an alicorn and becoming a princess is final stage for Twilight to reach.

It doesn't make sense. Is it writing a spell? Well, what happened to Starswirl? Or is it that she now deserves to be a princess because she "shares her gifts"? Well then, in this case, all six should "ascend".

What about Blueblood? He is a prince. How does he fit? The producers don't care for these details anymore? People are seeing this as evidence that the quality is falling apart.

Of course... This all assumes that the synopsis is not misleading opinions.

Two points on this: First, I got the impression that being an Alicorn has more to do with one's innate powers and abilities than necessarily status.  Ie. It's possible to be an alicorn without being royalty, and it's possible to be royalty without being an alicorn.  So far, though, the only alicorns we've seen in the show have been some form of ruler, so it does suggest a strong order.  But has anyone from Hasbro actually set that in stone?

And second, as I said earlier, Twilight might ascend to become a Princess and/or a powerful Alicorn.  Yes, that would be a huge change for her and for the other Mane 5.  But I do NOT think that means the show's premise is about to fundamentally change - just because she's Princess Twilight now, doesn't mean she's going to forget about her friends.  In fact, I see a lot of potential for Season 4 to be about how everyone deals with this change.

My point being that change happens - it's part of growing up and living in a realistic world.  And change is not always bad.  I would think that, as a fandom so strongly in love with the show and cognizant of the lessons it attempts to teach, we'd embrace lessons related to change instead of rebelling against them so strongly as I've seen here and in other related threads.

I'm going to withhold any judgment about quality of the show until I've seen what comes out of the studio.  As Zecora said, "Maybe next time you will take a second look, and not judge the cover of the book."

• Brohoof 2

Start crying then, because not only are her wings bigger, SHE's bigger.

So long as she doesn't end up looking like Celestia, I'll be okay with her growth spurt.

WOW. okay, is this legit? The wings make more sense; bigger and more graceful. But shes bigger overall? shes already so dominant, even without the wings >.<

W/e, i never took a liking to twilight anyway. XD

Edited by Reversalx
  • Brohoof 1

She's my favorite now, she was before, and she will be afterwards(Fluttershy is close though.). Please, give the episode a chance before treating it with such hatred. Lots of haters thought the same thing about the show, until they watched it.

Edited by Brosparkles

My reaction now is the same as it was when it was first leaked: I don't care as long as I get to watch ponies. I'm not gonna whine because it's not 100% perfect what I want. Unlike some people, I can actually handle changes in shows without throwing a fit about it.

Two points on this: First, I got the impression that being an Alicorn has more to do with one's innate powers and abilities than necessarily status.  Ie. It's possible to be an alicorn without being royalty, and it's possible to be royalty without being an alicorn.  So far, though, the only alicorns we've seen in the show have been some form of ruler, so it does suggest a strong order.  But has anyone from Hasbro actually set that in stone?

Alicorns are a symbol of power in the show. The problem with this is that Twilight's proof of "power" in the upcoming episode seems to be "writing a spell", whence my question about Starswirl. And no, "Hasbro" or anyone in the show said nothing about this. Except from Meghan, who said in the interview that being a princess is about earning that position. Well, how does one earn this position? This takes me back to my original answer to you.

And second, as I said earlier, Twilight might ascend to become a Princess and/or a powerful Alicorn.  Yes, that would be a huge change for her and for the other Mane 5.  But I do NOT think that means the show's premise is about to fundamentally change - just because she's Princess Twilight now, doesn't mean she's going to forget about her friends.  In fact, I see a lot of potential for Season 4 to be about how everyone deals with this change.

I never said that she's going to forget about her friends. What I said is "this should be done in an ending for the series", where she has "mastered her powers and friendship". And that's why it will stop making sense. There's is supposedly nothing above "princess" or above "alicorn". Unless, they come up with something like "levels of alicornhood".

My point being that change happens - it's part of growing up and living in a realistic world.  And change is not always bad.  I would think that, as a fandom so strongly in love with the show and cognizant of the lessons it attempts to teach, we'd embrace lessons related to change instead of rebelling against them so strongly as I've seen here and in other related threads.

I'm going to withhold any judgment about quality of the show until I've seen what comes out of the studio.  As Zecora said, "Maybe next time you will take a second look, and not judge the cover of the book."

I agree with you. Change is good. It keeps the show alive. But there are ways of doing this without losing sight of the narrative coherence. Let's make changes, but within a reasonable context of the story being told.

And all I'm doing is expressing my opinions on this. I'll be the first (or one of them) to come here and say that I liked the episode if it turns out to be better than my expectations, which are based on the info we have now. Isn't this the reason we go to a forum? To talk about the show?

The idea has grown on me, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it now. I'm interested in what the writers will do with Twilight now they're going to make her an Alicorn. Who knows, maybe some great episodes will spawn because of this. :)

Twilight Sparkle: It worked, it worked! Oh, I'm so happy you're back to normal! Now we need your help!

[Twilight Sparkle] A true, true friend helps a friend in need. A friend will be there to help them see. [Twilight and Fluttershy] A true, true friend helps a friend in need To see the light that shines from a true, true friend.

Rainbow Dash: Um, hello! Friend trapped inside, remember?

[Twilight Sparkle] Rarity needs your help She's trying hard doing what she can.

[Fluttershy]: Would you try, just give it a chance. You might find that you'll start to understand.

[Twilight and Fluttershy] A true, true friend helps a friend in need. A friend will be there to help you see. A true, true friend helps a friend in need To see the light that shines from a true, true friend.

Rainbow Dash: Uh, what just happened? Twilight Sparkle: There's no time to explain, but we need your help. Applejack's trying to make dresses! Rainbow Dash: Say no more!

[Rainbow Dash] Applejack needs your help. She's trying hard doing what she can. Would you try, just give it a chance. You might find that you'll start to understand.

[Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash] A true, true friend helps a friend in need. A friend will be there to help them see. A true, true friend helps a friend in need To see the light that shines from a true, true friend.

Rarity: [gasps] Oh my, what a terrible dream I had. Or, maybe I'm still having it. Twilight Sparkle: Rarity, Pinkie Pie is about to lose the apple farm. We need Applejack's help! Rarity: Lose the apple farm? Well we can't let that happen, now can we?

[Rarity] Pinkie Pie is in trouble. We need to get there by her side. We can try to do what we can now. For together we can be her guide.

[Twilight, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity] A true, true friend helps a friend in need. A friend will be there to help them see. A true, true friend helps a friend in need To see the light that shines from a true, true friend.

[key up]

Applejack: Yee-haw! Now that's more like it, what's next? Twilight Sparkle: The townspeople are furious, we need the old Pinkie Pie back. Applejack: I'm on it, I know just the thing.

[Applejack] The townspeople need you, they've been sad for a while. They march around, faces frown and never seem to smile. And if you feel like helping, we'd appreciate a lot! If you get up there and spread some cheer from here to Canterlot!

Pinkie Pie: Come on ponies, I wanna see you smile! Crowd: Pinkie!

[All and chorus] A true, true friend helps a friend in need. A friend will be there to help them see. A true, true friend helps a friend in need To see the light (to see the light) that shines (that shines) from a true, true friend!

I have now developed (and dreaded) over a new possibility, except this time over the fact that the change might actually be permanent:

Act 1: Twilight's friends' cutie-marks are switched.

Act 2: Twilight creates a new spell to reverse her friends' cutie-marks.

Act 3: Twilight is coronated as the new princess of Equestria.

Though, I have to wonder as to how the black book from the end of Crystal Empire Part Two will fit into this.

I don't mind the Twilicorn thing at all.  Even if it's permanent or a one-time thing, the show will still be going strong and even though most of the fandom are overreacting.

• Brohoof 1

One of the main points emphasized all throughout the show's running time is Twilight as a student. Since 2010, our little purple pony has been slowly but surely learning about the true magic of friendship, why it's important, and how great it can be. She's becoming better and better within her studies as a student and a friend. However, she is and was always meant to be just that; a student, willing and able to learn more. What happens when she learns everything about friendship? What if she learns all of the little ins and outs of being friends? What happens to the show? Twilight learning her lessons on friendship is what DRIVES the show. Every single episode leads to Twilight realizing something about friendship, which we ourselves might not know either. But if Twilight becomes an alicorn, it proves that she is the master of her trade. What happens when there's no more to learn? There's no show. I want to see a show that details the adventures of these 6 heroes and friends, as they learn from their failures and past mistakes and are able to prevail. Not 6 ponies who just succeed all the time.

Next, Twilight's character. As we know, Twilight is an extremely hard worker and is always striving to be perfect. She works day in and day out every day, studying and calculating, writing, and reading. She deserves a reward, right? Yes, she most certainly does. This reward should not, however, include becoming and all-knowing god-figure. Twilight is fallible. She is imperfect. It's because of this that she strives to become infallible and perfect. As a living creature, you and I all know that this is impossible. We can, and most certainly will fail at least one more time in our lives, if not many, many more. It's this drives Twilight and motivates her to become the opposite of that. But in the end, as any human will tell you, it's impossible. We are all fallible, we are all imperfect. It's what makes life worth living. If we succeed all the time, would we really be happy? No. We are happy of our triumphs because of all of the trials and chances at failure that have occurred. When Twilight becomes an alicorn, she's doing the opposite. She'll be infallible. She'll be perfect. What more is there to strive for? To work for? Nothing whatsoever. Let me ask you, have you ever tried really hard for something, whether it be a grade or any type of reward, only to realize that the reward was not why you were doing it? That you were trying so hard to prove to yourself and everyone else that you could? That is what Twilight has always been trying to obtain, and becoming an alicorn completely destroys the concept.

Lastly, this upsets the balance between the characters. All of the main 6 each have qualities that allow them to aid their friends when in need, and so that they themselves will need help as well. Every time they bicker or fight can and is mended, stronger than ever because they come to realize that their similarities AND differences are what keeps them together. Twilight's "ascension" (more like descension if you ask me) is only going to ruin this. No longer will she be able to help her friends genuinely. She'll just automatically have the answers to all of their problems, considering that she will have reached the highest level of knowledge on friendship possible. Not to mention that it would ruin the 2 pegasus, 2 unicorn, and 2 earth pony thing they have going on.

This is not to say however, that it can not be done correctly. Perhaps if it is only present during one or two episodes where in the end, she realizes all of this and that she's truly not going to be the friend and pony that she is, and decides to go back to being a unicorn. That is what I'd call true friendship. Declining something that seems only incredibly beneficial to stay with your friends and to keep those important bonds together, stronger than ever. It's similar to how Rainbow Dash was willing to throw away her dreams to stay with her friends in Wonderbolts Academy, except this time it's the real deal. I guess all we can do is pray and hope the Hasbro and DHX can do this correctly. Otherwise, I'm going to be one very, very pissed off son of a bitch.

To me, this show was always a pioneer that proved that all little girl's media didn't have to be about tea parties and princesses. I guess I was wrong.

Also, as a sidenote, I think it's outright stupid to believe that it's no big deal because "the only difference is that she can fly." That's viewing this is a childish manner, not taking into account any of the intrinsic values of as major a change as this.

My opinion remains unchanged. I didn't care about Twilicorn then, and I don't care about Twilicorn now.

Though I do find it funny that so many people are freaking out over it.

STOP MOCKING ME

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

I just wonder how Luna is going to factor into things. Based on some
of her reactions in the season premiere, I can't see her sitting still
for Twilight's promotion to princess status. That jealousy could still
be there. Her thoughts could be: "Twilight Sparkle becomes a princess
and I get pushed into the background even more."

I never said that she's going to forget about her friends. What I said is "this should be done in an ending for the series", where she has "mastered her powers and friendship". And that's why it will stop making sense. There's is supposedly nothing above "princess" or above "alicorn". Unless, they come up with something like "levels of alicornhood".

So while it's obvious that the story has thus far revolved largely around Twilight learning magic and lessons about friendship, I don't see that her ascension to alicornhood has been the central focus of the story.  It's a significant subplot, but when she reaches what she (or Celestia) sees as her final goal, that doesn't mean she stops growing as a character.  She doesn't have to keep advancing in rank or power to keep growing.  Nor does the plot have to continue to revolve around her advancement - it may change direction by simply focusing on how she and her friends adjust to her new position and stature, and how they keep their friendship alive and well given the changes.

I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time articulating this.  It seems really plain to me, given all I've seen so far.

I agree with you. Change is good. It keeps the show alive. But there are ways of doing this without losing sight of the narrative coherence. Let's make changes, but within a reasonable context of the story being told.

And I'm just stating my opinion that a rise to alicornhood is not an unreasonable change to make.  They've been rather obviously working toward it for three seasons, and as I pointed out elsewhere, if things just remained "status quo", I doubt they'd have a fourth season's worth of good material to work with.  If anything, keeping Twilight just "the same as she's always been", minor changes or no, would force the producers to come up with even more contrived day-to-day plots or more unbelievable villains to keep the show interesting.  It would put them at serious risk of introducing a shark jump just to keep people watching, and even then we'd probably be sitting there wondering when (and why) the show lost its magic.

Personally, I see this development as having a great deal of potential to make all of the characters grow, and to teach even more valuable life lessons than we've seen so far.