Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

It's plastered all over Derpibooru. Dunno where they got it from though.

I wouldn't worry about this alledged spinoff replacing Friendship is Magic. Hasbro IS planning a new IP, but it will apparently run alongside FiM, and will be targeting "tween" and "teen" girls.

Source: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/possible-equestria-girls-movie-on-way.html

Anyway, I'm not really worried that they're doing a spinoff, so much as I am worried they are using the Mane 6 IN that spinoff. Creating a new, completely unrelated cartoon and using existing characters just to ride on another cartoon's coattails never ends well (I'm looking at you All Grown Up, Pinkie and the Brain, and The Cleveland Show).

Hopefully they can pull it off, and as long as the two shows never do any crossovers, I think it can co-exist with FiM just fine. But those designs...

EDIT:

To clarify in case anyone was wondering. I'm not trying to stir up trouble. But I found that image, and figured it was best suited to be posted here, as it does not really merit it's own thread.

But even then, what if Hasbro does what the gaming industry does, and listen to its audience rather than insult it like it always does?

Also, as much as I deeply loath the spin-off myself, I'd rather that (and not replacing the original MLP: FiM in the process), than Princess Twilicorn. At the very least, it'll be like Transformers Rescue Bots, which also ran alongside Transformers Prime, if only for a little while before eventually showing up as reruns.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

From what I heard, and I could be wrong, that pic is just for the movie and nothing really worth getting too concerned over. I doubt it'll ever cross paths with the series' main storyline.

As far as Alicorn Twilight goes, I wouldn't be able to approve it on a permanent basis. Even tho it's been established Twilight's character won't be subject to any changes, I'm concerned about what her status as a princess will mean for her relationship with the other members of the mane 6 seeing as the responsibilities that come with being a princess are immense. Also, Twilight becoming a princess would somehow imply she's learned all she could about friendship, which could either open a lot more possibilities for the show or kill it. I'm confident of the former tho as the writers have rarely if ever failed to deliver.

But even then, what if Hasbro does what the gaming industry does, and
listen to its audience rather than insult it like it always does?

Maybe I don't play games a great deal but I haven't really seen a lot of instances where the gaming industry follows its audience closely. EA certainly has a rep for doing whatever it wants, and Ubisoft has been a sour disappointment with Assassin's Creed as well.

Edited by Freedan

Well, I have one problem with that marketing tactic they used on people like me: It distracted me from my real-life.

I've been scrounging all over the Internet, such as mlp.wikia.com, just to find answers as to whether or not this is temporary or permanent. I kept analyzing screenshots and promos, trying to piece together the entire episode before it could air. Unfortunately, every time I do that, it just leads me to more questions than actual answers.

And, what's even worse, is that I'm obsessed with it, almost to the point of being distracted from my real-life. I can't study at school like I used to. I can't enjoy anything else I enjoy, like Mass Effect 3, for example. I can't even remain optimistic, and it just makes me even more clingy to My Little Pony and Twilight Sparkle as a unicorn rather than an alicorn! I'm just constantly angry, confused, ridiculously obsessed. And, I blame Hasbro and the writers for this.

They could've used other marketing tactics to win their audiences over, like the fan-feedback tactic BioWare is using right now! And, they could've created other MLP toylines other than Princess Twilight! Instead, they have to use destructive, manipulative tactics that turn people like myself into obsessed, emotional wrecks, who can't live a normal life because some corporate douchebags decided to turn me into their marketing slave.

If you're not exagurating your reaction to all this, this level of obsession is extremely bad for you. I'm aware of the social stigma around consulting with mental health professionals, but to be honest if a plot-point in a cartoon is affecting your daily life to this extent... If you really are an emotional wreck over this... you need to go see a doctor right away.

• Brohoof 2

Something about next weeks episode just seems so...off. Let me make sure I've got this straight: it's about a cutie mark switch-up (the main story), yet at the same time it's about Twilight's coronation event?

I can understand how the episode can be about Twilight earning her alicorn status by fixing the switch-up, and that could be a good whole episode. But no, the Hub is stressing the coronation event itself (the ending), as if it is going to be the whole episode.

It all just seems so...off.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 3

Something about next weeks episode just seems so...off. Let me make sure I've got this straight: it's about a cutie mark switch-up (the main story), yet at the same time it's about Twilight's coronation event?

I can understand how the episode can be about Twilight earning her alicorn status by fixing the switch-up, and that could be a good whole episode. But no, the Hub is stressing the coronation event itself (the ending), as if it is going to be the whole episode.

It all just seems so...off.

Who knows, the coronation event might not be the ending at all, but rather the middle-part. The true ending would have Twilight revert back to her old, unicorn self by means I kept repeating throughout the message boards.

From what I heard, and I could be wrong, that pic is just for the movie and nothing really worth getting too concerned over. I doubt it'll ever cross paths with the series' main storyline.

The movie is for a show that hasn't even aired yet? Doubtful, unless they go the route of "Let's have Twilight and friends become humans for a TV movie so we can make a what-if TV detailing their adventures if they had chosen to stay humans", which is just downright dumb. Also, rumors have been going around about a DVD release in april simply titled: Twilight Sparkle Princess. Seems to me if anything, the TV Movie will bridge the gap between Season 3 and 4, and either retcon or elaborate on Twilight's transformation.

• Brohoof 2

ok, i don't get much news, normally finding out about stuff well after everyone else. i just found out about this twilight alicorn thing yesterday morning, just as a snippet of info about the episode. my first thought was "frickin awesome! twilight as an alicorn will kick soo much ass!" then a few hours later i find out so many people are like "the show is over and so is my liiife!!!" um, really? now, i will admit that i am wary of what could come of this, but i seriously doubt it'll be anywhere near as bad as everyone's making it out to be. the one thing that would piss me off would be if they do it with and end-of-episode retcon. i hate that kind of writing, it always feels cheap and sleazy, and leaves the story unchanged making the entire experience worthless and a waste of time.

in short, i support princess twilight, and can't wait to see the new episode and where the show goes from there. provided they don't pull a cheap retcon.

Edited by hwrogers
  • Brohoof 1

img-1165874-1-BC2oPXBCIAAo2Fx.jpg%20larg

Here comes a brandnew screenshot from the upcoming episode this saturday.

Inb4 another ponyless summer before Season 4 starts up.

(Assuming this is permanent)

I'm getting the vibe that this means her time in Ponyville/the library is over, then?

And what of poor Spike?

And still, this is so confusing. Is the cutie mark switching the episode story or simply a plot device? If the episode is about the switch-up, why is all the focus on the coronation, and there's been like no focus on the actual, released storyline (and the episodes namesake)?

So. Damn. Confused.

• Brohoof 1

It would have been nice to see Twilight's friends and Spike walking beside her carriage in the screenshot above. They have as much to do with what she's becoming as she does. I can live with her being an alicorn as long as they're not forgotten.

• Brohoof 3

(Assuming this is permanent)

I'm getting the vibe that this means her time in Ponyville/the library is over, then?

And what of poor Spike?

And still, this is so confusing. Is the cutie mark switching the episode story or simply a plot device? If the episode is about the switch-up, why is all the focus on the coronation, and there's been like no focus on the actual, released storyline (and the episodes namesake)?

So. Damn. Confused.

Ok so here's my thoughts on it. The episode I think will focus on the cutie mark switching and twilights solution to that. The synopsis said that she will have to write her own magic to solve the problem, which is what I think leads to her transformation. From the promo we can surmise that the Elements of Harmony are used to accomplish this task. If this is true I think it speaks against one of the main things people have been worried about, Her friends becoming useless. It is her friends that are one of the very means of her progression as a character. None of what she has accomplished would be possible without them, including her place as a princess and alicorn. At first she saw no importance in making friends, and it is only through an ultimate acceptance of the importance of doing so in combination with her studies that enables her to progress to this stage. 

Also I don't think this necessarily means she wont live in Ponyville anymore. After all where does Cadence live? With Shining Armor one would think, meaning she changed where she lived, perhaps showing that a princess can choose where to live. Does being a princess mean having to live somewhere in particular? I dont think so. I do think she will have new things to learn and knew responsiblities to cope with. One thing must be remembered this is a coronation, it going to be flashy. I highly doubt shell be whereing that dress all the time either, again its flashy coronation stuff. Same with the chariot. 

• Brohoof 2

Ok so here's my thoughts on it. The episode I think will focus on the cutie mark switching and twilights solution to that. The synopsis said that she will have to write her own magic to solve the problem, which is what I think leads to her transformation. From the promo we can surmise that the Elements of Harmony are used to accomplish this task. If this is true I think it speaks against one of the main things people have been worried about, Her friends becoming useless. It is her friends that are one of the very means of her progression as a character. None of what she has accomplished would be possible without them, including her place as a princess and alicorn. At first she saw no importance in making friends, and it is only through an ultimate acceptance of the importance of doing so in combination with her studies that enables her to progress to this stage. 

That brings up something else I've been wondering these last few days. After the transformation, will her friends still bear their respective elements? Will the alicornification process transfer them all to Twilight, or will she only bear the element of magic, and the Mane 6 will still proceed, with just more emphasis on her leadership role now?

Because one thing I've noticed is that we are only seeing the center point of her cutie mark. We don't see the white satellite stars. One thing I could see happening is that when she removes the dress, the stars of her cutie mark will be colored with the colors of the elements, signifying her as the holder of them all. Thoughts?

I've got something to say about that upcoming episode of TwilightSparkle becoming an Alicorn...

post-7687-0-07193400-1360630700_thumb.png

Well, if Twilight actually became an Alicorn... isn't it Pony Lore that all Alicorns can live longer than One Thousand Years? Well, the average age for a Pony to die is actually 25-30 years old, so Twilight will actually outlive all of her friends, and even Spike maybe? (I don't know how long Dragons live) But yes, the image above kind of show what I think.

What do you guys think? I actually think I'd be pretty cool for Twilight to become an Alicorn, the only problem is that won't she be an Alicorn all the way through Season 4 also? I'm kind of stuck whether I agree with Hasbro...

Edited by SilverNote

Check out the Season 3 spoilers if you really want to see for yourself.

Methinks it's just a finale-only kind of thing. Like she'll be switched back, or something. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

'Fraid so. Well, I don't know 100%, but I'm pretty sure. We'll find out on Saturday. :3

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal. The show will go on. After all, the show's being written by the same people who managed to make Discord becoming good work.

• Brohoof 1

Oh I dunno. It's not like I follow EQD or anything, or Larson's Twitter (As well as most others) or other blatant stuff....

Gonna say no. :V

That brings up something else I've been wondering these last few days. After the transformation, will her friends still bear their respective elements? Will the alicornification process transfer them all to Twilight, or will she only bear the element of magic, and the Mane 6 will still proceed, with just more emphasis on her leadership role now?

Because one thing I've noticed is that we are only seeing the center point of her cutie mark. We don't see the white satellite stars. One thing I could see happening is that when she removes the dress, the stars of her cutie mark will be colored with the colors of the elements, signifying her as the holder of them all. Thoughts?

Ok heres my thoughts. Looking at the alicorn design posted on eqd you can clearly see the stars are still on her cutie mark. I very highly doubt the the elements will transfer to Twilight. Being an alicorn doesn't seem to make a difference in controlling the elements. If that were the case Celestia would still hold control over them. In fact we know that Celestia shared control over them at one point as indicated in Return of Harmony. Now Celestia and Luna have no control over the elements which has but them on the sidelines at least twice. So there really seems to be no indication of her absorbing all the elements. Being an alicorn only seems to grant one greater magical ability. Maybe not even that as in this case it seems to be Twilights ability in combination with the help of her friends that enable her to "ascend". So it seems to me in this case It twilights own talent and ability that make her special and powerful not a shiney new pair of wings.

• Brohoof 1

If that's the case then why don't they just all transcend each other? Or could that end up being what season 4 is about? Each one develops enough inner strength to harness the elements to ascend? If that's the case....that could end up really cliche. And it would almost put an inevitable end-cap on MLP.

In the end this all feels very...tumultuous. Hasbro is putting so much emphasis on the coronation, yet little in the plot of the episode itself. At the same time they are still producing fresh unicorn Twi toys in 2013 (in fact, they are the majority from what I have heard), and I've even heard rumors of future storyboards involving wingless Twi (/mlp/, but still, I guess I'd like to believe). At the same time we've got a DVD, TV-movie, and new IP coming.

All I know is there's interesting times ahead, be they good or bad. As it stands though I'm more confused than anything about where the franchise is going.

If that's the case then why don't they just all transcend each other? Or could that end up being what season 4 is about? Each one develops enough inner strength to harness the elements to ascend? If that's the case....that could end up really cliche. And it would almost put an inevitable end-cap on MLP.

In the end this all feels very...tumultuous. Hasbro is putting so much emphasis on the coronation, yet little in the plot of the episode itself. At the same time they are still producing fresh unicorn Twi toys in 2013 (in fact, they are the majority from what I have heard), and I've even heard rumors of future storyboards involving wingless Twi (/mlp/, but still, I guess I'd like to believe). At the same time we've got a DVD, TV-movie, and new IP coming.

All I know is there's interesting times ahead, be they good or bad. As it stands though I'm more confused than anything about where the franchise is going.

I think all of the ponies will develop in their own ways. Twilights will naturally involve magic. Rainbow already transcended her own ability into legendary status in season 1 with her sonic rainboom. She now can do one at will. Rarity has done so with her being accepted by hoity toity, and her being recognized by the Canterlot elite. Major progression will be represented in different ways for different characters. Of course it will also depend on what Hasbro has in store in the marketing department. Remember Rarity also was granted wings because of a marketing move. 

Well the thing you have to remember is its in Hasbro's best interest to overblow the coronation bit to advertise the toys. They are making it seem like a huge actual event to get kids hyped up. This should seem very familiar as its the exact same thing they did with the Caterlot Wedding episode. Overblow the wedding part to sell toys. In the end how much about the wedding was that episode? I would say it was much more about Twilight facing and overcoming doubt, whilst uncovering and dealing with an invasion of insectoid, shape shifting love parasites. The wedding played a very significant role in the motivation of the characters, but it wasn't as much so as Hasbro would make you think through its advertising. 

• Brohoof 3

Well, since people are now speculating the Twilight Sparkle Alicorn thing. I guess, we could all see when the cutie marks get switched.

Here is well a quick spoiler:

Rarity gets Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, that's all I can pretty much say.

Why are some people so sad over this whole Alicorn Twilight thing? Hey, it's not like Twilight becoming an Alicorn is the end of the world or the series. Twilight will become an Alicorn, whether it's permanent or not. So just cheer up, and hope for the best. Maybe the starting of S4 will be a major event that involves Twilight reverting back to Unicorn.

And the whole "side-effect" theory is... kind of useless. really. It's not making sense. I think you're getting a little too far off. You're thinking too much. We know that you're hoping for it to be temporary, and you don't have to keep emphasizing that in your posts. In one of your posts, you mentioned the other elements transferring their powers to Twilight turning her into an alicorn,while they became opposite of themselves. That is truly crazy.

Elements of Harmony shouldn't be able to damage the ones who activate them. Sure you can argue that it's because they TRANSFERRED their powers. But the powers of the elements should be within the necklaces and you could see in the preview that Fluttershy clearly still has hers.

I tried to word my opinion as less offensive as I could. Hope you got what I mean and just put an end to the speculations. Just wait until the episode airs then we'll know.  ;)

• Brohoof 2