Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I would agree with you, very gladly I should say, if not for the fact that this is just one 22 minute episode. There's just not enought time to make a story like this,

I would agree with you, very gladly I should say, if not for the fact that this is just one 22 minute episode. There's just not enought time to make a story like this,

Well, if that's the case, then here's how I believe the story will go:

Act 1:  Twilight switches her friends' cutie-marks, and creates her own spell to reverse them.

Act 2:  Twilight is coronated as princess as a reward for creating her own spell.

Act 3:  Twilight's spell has unintentional side-effects that nearly destroy Ponyville, and Twilight must sacrifice her princesshood, and the wings and magic that came with it, to reverse the side-effects.

Trust me.  I'm sure there is a way for the writers to fit all three of those aforementioned acts into one episode, like they've done many times over in the past.

Act 1:  Twilight switches her friends' cutie-marks, and creates her own spell to reverse them.

Act 2:  Twilight is coronated as princess as a reward for creating her own spell.

Act 3:  Twilight's spell has unintentional side-effects that nearly destroy Ponyville, and Twilight must sacrifice her princesshood, and the wings and magic that came with it, to reverse the side-effects.

Trust me.  I'm sure there is a way for the writers to fit all three of those aforementioned acts into one episode, like they've done many times over in the past.

Act one alone sounds like a whole episode to me. And in act three you are hoping that the transformation is temporary. Which may or not b the case. Anyway, this notion of sacrificing seems to go against what Meghan McCarthy said in her interview to EW. And even if they fit it all in one episode, it'll be rushed. Honestly, if a story doesn't fit 20 minutes, it should not be told in 20 minutes.

Of course, this is all speculation. I hope you are right and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Brohoof 1

Act one alone sounds like a whole episode to me. And in act three you are hoping that the transformation is temporary. Which may or not b the case. Anyway, this notion of sacrificing seems to go against what Meghan McCarthy said in her interview to EW. And even if they fit it all in one episode, it'll be rushed. Honestly, if a story doesn't fit 20 minutes, it should not be told in 20 minutes.

Of course, this is all speculation. I hope you are right and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Remember how people like you thought the Canterlot Wedding episode would fail, just because you thought it would be stereotypical girls' fluff?  By the events of part two, it instead became a battle against shape-shifting insectoids, which was almost completely unexpected.

The same can still be said for "Magical Mystery Cure."  Even if it's contrary to what Meghan McCarthy said about Princess Twilight in her interview, odds are the third act might happen for the same reasons we had Queen Chrysalis and her changelings in Canterlot Wedding: To create an unexpected, surprise twist.

Remember how people like you thought the Canterlot Wedding episode would fail, just because you thought it would be stereotypical girls' fluff?  By the events of part two, it instead became a battle against shape-shifting insectoids, which was almost completely unexpected.

The same can still be said for "Magical Mystery Cure."  Even if it's contrary to what Meghan McCarthy said about Princess Twilight in her interview, odds are the third act might happen for the same reasons we had Queen Chrysalis and her changelings in Canterlot Wedding: To create an unexpected, surprise twist.

Sure. But all battle against the changelings happened in the second part of the episode, that will not exist in this episode.

I agree that it can be done in the 22 minutes they will have.

(I Believe in Larson...)

But I'm concerned that it can't be WELL done in 22 minutes.

Honestly, I didn't like the idea of Twilight being princess, or alicorn. Talking about this and seeing other people's point o view on this changed my opinion, but I still think that the length of the episode is going to be a problem. Though I doubt they will screw it up so bad it will ruin the show. It will just feel rushed, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

Destroying Ponyville? Really? That's a little over the top don't you think? It's hard to equate that Twilight saving her friends would have the side effect of destroying a small town in anyway, and like moonlight avenger said, as you have laid it out, it would be a rushed episode, with too much going on.  Something as you would have describe would need a second episode. If you really want her to ditch the wings, I doubt it would happen in season 3. You'll need to wait until season 4 at least for that.

And if twilight does sacrifice her right as a princess to save Ponyville, wouldn't that only prove that she is truly worthy of being a princess even further?  What would stop them from coronating her a second time and enacting the magic that changes her all over again after the fact? And How is everybody so sure that Twilight will get more magic after becoming an alicorn?  This is the first time that we know of that it's happened, right?  I've been searching and there is nothing outside of speculation that says that she'll gain power in anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Destroying Ponyville? Really? That's a little over the top don't you think? It's hard to equate that Twilight saving her friends would have the side effect of destroying a small town in anyway, and like moonlight avenger said, as you have laid it out, it would be a rushed episode, with too much going on.  Something as you would have describe would need a second episode. If you really want her to ditch the wings, I doubt it would happen in season 3. You'll need to wait until season 4 at least for that.

And if twilight does sacrifice her right as a princess to save Ponyville, wouldn't that only prove that she is truly worthy of being a princess even further?  What would stop them from coronating her a second time and enacting the magic that changes her all over again after the fact? And How is everybody so sure that Twilight will get more magic after becoming an alicorn?  This is the first time that we know of that it's happened, right?  I've been searching and there is nothing outside of speculation that says that she'll gain power in anyway.

Well, the side-effects were the result of Twilight's own spell.  That means Twilight is as much responsible for creating the destructive side-effects as she was creating the spell that came with them.  So who knows?  Instead of sacrificing her princesshood to get rid of the side-effects, Twilight gets punished by Princess Celestia for those side-effects by having her princesshood and wings confiscated.

That's what I hope for.  After all, when you look at Sonic Rainboom, A Canterlot Wedding, and Crystal Empire, those were designed to sell MLP toys, but were only temporary.  So surely, Princess Twilight will be temporary, too, especially since it's merely designed to sell toys as well.

EDIT: And, let's not forget the last time one of Twilight's spells nearly destroyed Ponyville.  In Lesson Zero, Twilight cast an "I Want I Need" spell on her Mr. SmartyPants doll to get the Cutie Mark Crusaders to fight each other, just so that she could get a friendship report done on time.  Unfortunately, that had the unintended side-effect of affecting every other pony in Ponyville, as they also start fighting each other for Twilight's childhood doll.

If that's the case, then that means Twilight's own newly-created spell will have the same destructive results, only three times more.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep
  • Brohoof 1

Sure. But all battle against the changelings happened in the second part of the episode, that will not exist in this episode.

I agree that it can be done in the 22 minutes they will have.

(I Believe in Larson...)

But I'm concerned that it can't be WELL done in 22 minutes.

Honestly, I didn't like the idea of Twilight being princess, or alicorn. Talking about this and seeing other people's point o view on this changed my opinion, but I still think that the length of the episode is going to be a problem. Though I doubt they will screw it up so bad it will ruin the show. It will just feel rushed, IMO.

I have to agree that when looking at what some people are suggesting, it would have made more sense for them to make the finale a twoparter or a longer episode, atleast more than 22 minutes. I think making Twilight a princess is just as important if not far more than the wedding of Shining/Cadence since she is an actual cornerstone character of the show. Infact, even if she doesnt have to forfeit her princesshood/powers for the sake of saving something or whatever and it stays permanent... She wreaks havoc by performing a spell that switches these things around, she writes her own magic and for restoring everything she gets rewarded. Maybe this finale is a precursor to a movie special we dont know about, if not it's a wait and see thing how much they will make use of this limited timeframe. I especially want to see Twilight given space to interact with her friends after the coronation is over instead of "Oh hey, ive got wings! End of the season." ;)

Edited by JavaJive
  • Brohoof 2

Also, there's this.

tumblr_mhsxz5frKB1rbrh4ro1_500.png

Wondering if it's The Hub trolling, or if it's people pretending to be The Hub pulling a double troll.

Edit:  You Will Found Out.  Probably a troll.

Edited by Crispy
  • Brohoof 2

EDIT: And, let's not forget the last time one of Twilight's spells nearly destroyed Ponyville.  In Lesson Zero, Twilight cast an "I Want I Need" spell on her Mr. SmartyPants doll to get the Cutie Mark Crusaders to fight each other, just so that she could get a friendship report done on time.  Unfortunately, that had the unintended side-effect of affecting every other pony in Ponyville, as they also start fighting each other for Twilight's childhood doll.

If that's the case, then that means Twilight's own newly-created spell will have the same destructive results, only three times more.

Only two problems with that.That particular spell was more "disruptive" than "destructive." Nothing actually got destroyed with the "I want I need" spell, and its parameters were pretty undefined, meaning that how that spell is supposed to actually work was never really explained. What you saw as an unintended side effect, I saw as the spell doing exactly what it was designed to do, in that it made whatever it was cast on desireable to who ever saw it. Remember that Twilight had a case of the crazies going on when she cast it, and really didn't consider how the spell was really supposed to work, or how to stop its effects. It was a case of irresponsible use of magic.

Edited by Rainbow RapiDASH
  • Brohoof 2

Had a few thoughts about this whole business.  I'm still not ok with alicorn twilight/Princess Sparkle/whatever, but i'm not against it either. 

1. Discord: Perhaps the main reason Celestia freed Discord, albeit selfish, is so he can actually turn Twilight into an alicorn.  We've seen him remove wings and horns before since he's a godlike entity, so there's nothing that says he can't give Twilight wings + increase her size a bit so she's in a more "regal form."

2. Omniomorphic Spell: Twilight has been practicing some serious magic as of late.  I'm wondering if the Omniomorphic spell has anything to do with it.  Don't really have a theory backing this one up, though they might tie it into when Celestia first saw Twilight and the pony's explosion of magical energy. 

3. Faust's original idea for Cadence: This one has me the most perplexed, and i'm wondering if Cadence and Twilight will "switch bodies" at the end of the episode, so to speak.  The reason behind this could be quite numerous, from Cadence admiting that Alicorns are immortal creatures and wants to be with Shining Armor, or the resulting destiny thing alter's Twilight's own destiny and forces her into Princessdom even though  Meghan McCarthy keeps swearing that Princessdom isn't something that a pony earns.  However, I sense something her words, and i'm thinking that could be a cover. 

Part of me is still angered/irritated at the idea of Twilight being turned into a Princess because she has, well had, so much potential for an awesome destiny, but there's nothing to do.  Highly doubt the writers would even consider a retcon because the damage has already been done, and such a move would only add to the problem.  Definitely wanted to see Twilight turn into the next Star Swirl the Bearded, becoming some grand unicorn wizard, perhaps even running Celestia's school for gifted Unicorns. 

Edited by Genepool

Only two problem with that.That particular spell was more "disruptive" than "destructive." Nothing actually got destroyed with the "I want I need" spell, and its parameters were pretty undefined, meaning that how that spell is supposed to actually work was ever really explained. What you saw as an unintended side effect, I saw as the spell doing exactly what it was designed to do, in that it made whatever it was cast on desireable to who ever saw it. Remember that Twilight had a case of the crazies going on when she cast it, and really didn't consider how the spell was really supposed to work, or how to stop its effects. It was a case of irresponsible use of magic.

But Twilight will still get punished by Celestia for the spell's side-effects, nontheless. She will still have her wings and princesshood confiscated, and as a result, she will still remain in Ponyville with her friends.

As for that Facebook post from the Hub, I hope it's more legitimate than Twilight becoming a princess permanently.

But Twilight will still get punished by Celestia for the spell's side-effects, nontheless. She will still have her wings and princesshood confiscated, and as a result, she will still remain in Ponyville with her friends.

As for that Facebook post from the Hub, I hope it's more legitimate than Twilight becoming a princess permanently.

I would be more upset if the season ended with somepony getting punished.  Sorry, but doing that just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't believe that post above is real.  I checked the hub facebook page and couldn't find it. They did however update their page cover photo yesterday.

549230_468823099833444_739538566_n.jpg

Here is the link:https://www.facebook.com/hubtvnetwork?ref=stream#!/photo.php?fbid=468823099833444&set=a.330459233669832.75559.119249468124144&type=1&theater

Twilight without the dress and tiara doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

• Brohoof 3

I would be more upset if the season ended with somepony getting punished.  Sorry, but doing that just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't believe that post above is real.  I checked the hub facebook page and couldn't find it. They did however update their page cover photo yesterday.

img-1154299-1-549230_468823099833444_739

Here is the link:https://www.facebook.com/hubtvnetwork?ref=stream#!/photo.php?fbid=468823099833444&set=a.330459233669832.75559.119249468124144&type=1&theater

img-1154299-1-549230_468823099833444_739

Then I guess that's it then.  Hasbro just killed one of their own franchises, especially after three years of resurrecting it properly, compared to G3 and G3.5.  All they had to do was turn Twilight into an alicorn princess, and even if they kept her personality and love for her friends intact, they still killed the show by stripping it of the very thing that made it good in the first place: Six friends learning about friendship.

They've shot themselves in the foot with that stupid decision, all because they fear stagnation.  I don't care what they say about keeping Twilight true to herself.  They're probably lying anyway.  The change will be permanent, and Twilight will be so busy with her life as a princess, that she won't even be herself, or spend any time with her friends ever again!  This isn't reinventing the franchise.  This isn't saving it from stagnation.  This is jumping the shark.

They were on a roll with that series, and now they would instantly kill it by turning one of the six main ponies into an alicorn princess!  Wasn't it enough that they killed Optimus Prime during the 80's, and even went far as to make that feel permanent, before giving into the Transformers fans' outrage and resurrecting him?  If so, then why Princess Twilicorn?

I need some time alone...

Yeah, her neck does look unusually long, doesn't it.

@ commander_ponyshep: I'm sorry if you're upset, but I think you are over reacting a litle. I personally think that Twilight becoming a princess is a good thing for the show, whether or not it was a product of hasbro wanting to make money. I can see how this can help make the show better, about how it teachest that friendship can persevere in the face of change, but the truth of the matter is that I won't know for sure until I see the show. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. All I know is that I won't write it off until then.

• Brohoof 2

@ commander_ponyshep: I'm sorry if you're upset, but I think you are over reacting a litle.  I personally think that Twilight becoming a princess is a good thing for the show, whether or not it was a product of hasbro wanting to make money.  I can see how this can help make the show better, about it how it can help teach more about how friendship can persevere in the face of change, but the truth of the matter is that I won't know for sure until I see the show.  Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't.  All I know is that I won't write it off until then.

@ commander_ponyshep: I'm sorry if you're upset, but I think you are over reacting a litle.  I personally think that Twilight becoming a princess is a good thing for the show, whether or not it was a product of hasbro wanting to make money.  I can see how this can help make the show better, about it how it can help teach more about how friendship can persevere in the face of change, but the truth of the matter is that I won't know for sure until I see the show.  Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't.  All I know is that I won't write it off until then.

Well if that's the case, then how in the world do I cope with this?

Though, when you look at what we saw of Games Ponies Play so far, it seemed like it will be a Rarity episode, despite what the synopsis said.  In that episode, it's possible that most of it will be about Rarity working on Cadence's mane, while the girls distract the games inspector long enough for her to do so.  So who knows?  Magical Mystery Cure might be the same way, where for whatever reason Twilight reverts back to her old, unicorn self.

Also, as for how you'd be disappointed if Twilight gets punished in the end, how else would she return to her normal, unicorn self with her friends?  That ending I created, as well as the other one where Twilight sacrifices her princesshood to reverse side-effects of the spell she created, are the best I could think of.

Well that, and Twilight actually choosing to resign from royalty early, because she felt the side-effects to the spell she created destroyed her opportunity to become a princess.

• Brohoof 1

Also, as for how you'd be disappointed if Twilight gets punished in the end, how else would she return to her normal, unicorn self with her friends?  That ending I created, as well as the other one where Twilight sacrifices her princesshood to reverse side-effects of the spell she created, are the best I could think of.

Well that, and Twilight actually choosing to resign from royalty early, because she felt the side-effects to the spell she created destroyed her opportunity to become a princess.

Okay, you have officially stopped making sense to me.  She doesn't need to be just an ordinary unicorn to be with her friends and you would have been much more believeable if you said she'd have lost her wings due to the  magic of a villain coming along down the road, and if she does lose her title, it would only happen sometime down the road, not in the same episode where she recieved it.  She doesn't need to sacrifice, to resign, to be punished in anyway, and the more you talk about "side effects," the less sense it actually makes. Plus, how can she "resign" from being royalty when her "opportunity" to be royalty is destroyed?

I'm very sorry, but I just can't take you seriously anymore.

I've gotta be honest, I'm not sure about this, I'm not really against it but at the same time I can't shake the same sinking feeling I got years ago while watching DBZ shortly after Vegeta became a Super Saiyan and then every single character that wasn't a Super Saiyan became completely irrelevant to the story because they just couldn't keep up.

I'm really just not sure about how this will work out...

I love this. It's awesome, because she is actually progressing.

Although, I'm not sure how it'll effect the characters. That part worries me.

I have a feeling S4 may be the end of FiM because of this.

I love this. It's awesome, because she is actually progressing.

Although, I'm not sure how it'll effect the characters. That part worries me.

I have a feeling S4 may be the end of FiM because of this.

I couldn't agree with you more, bro.

I had this same problem when I watched anime like Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Bleach.  The main-protagonists of these shows often has companions, but those companions never catch up with the hero, and often remain useless and irrelevant.  I don't want the same thing to happen to Twilight's friends, because the show is about working together with friends, not doing everything alone (which is what will describe Twilight's promotion to princess).

If Twilight is going to become princess, then Rarity might as well become a world-famous fashion designer, and Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt captain.  Then, both those ponies would have to move away from Ponyville to fulfill their dreams, like Twilight before them.  The only ones who would remain would probably have to be Applejack (because she still has her farm and family), Fluttershy (because she still has her animal friends), and probably Pinkie Pie (because, hey, why not?).

Then, once the two-part Season Four premiere comes, the girls would have to reunite with each other to save the world from another ancient evil.  Twilight might even have to sacrifice her wings, immense magic, and even princesshood to help her friends.

Though, I hope Twilight's return to her normal, unicorn self happens as early as the same episode she'll be coronated.  Sure, it would feel like a cop-out, but I'd rather a cop-out that returns everything to the status-quo, than a permanent change that might destroy both Twilight as well as the show itself.

EDIT: I've came up with a new theory!

What if in the beginning of the episode, Twilight accidentally cast the cutie-mark switching spell in her sleep?  Then, by the end of the episode, as soon as the cure spell's side-effects take hold and Twilight sacrifices both her wings and princess magic, Celestia arrives and reveals that this was all a test.  Celestia would be the one to cast the spell on her friends, because she knew Twilight would restore them ahead of time, only to sacrifice her princesshood to reverse the side-effects.  As for what this was testing, it was to see how far Twilight would go to help other ponies, even if it means sacrificing princesshood.

As a reward for succeeding her test, Princess Celestia gives Twilight that black book from the end of the Crystal Empire story-arc, which is revealed to be an advance-level spellbook.  With it, by the time Twilight recovers all of her magic expended from reversing the side-effects, she could then use that spellbook to practice even stronger spells.

You know how I feel the Season Three finale will go?  Well, here it is:

In the beginning of the episode, Twilight switched her friends' cutie-marks while in her sleep.  The rest of the episode, you can get from the synopsis, but by the third act, it is established that the spell Twilight created, the one that made her princess, came with severe side-effects that nearly destroy Ponyville.  By switching her friends' cutie-marks back, did Twilight inadvertently switch the cutie-marks of the rest of Ponyville's citizens.  To fix the damage, Twilight and her friends use the Elements of Harmony, as well as a huge chunk of Twilight's newly-acquired alicorn magic, all the way down to her wings.

By the time Celestia arrives, it would appear that she came to punish her student for the damage from the side-effects.  However, it was revealed that it was all part of a test, which Celestia created by casting the cutie-mark switching spell herself, rather than Twilight.  She knew that Twilight would eventually create her own spell to reverse the switch, and that it would have unintentional side-effects, so she had her go through this to see how far she'd go to save Ponyville, even sacrifice her princesshood and the wings and magic that came with it.

As a reward for passing that test, Princess Celestia gives Twilight that book we saw at the end of the Crystal Empire two-part episode, which is revealed to be an advanced or master-level spellbook, proving that she is ready for even stronger magic.  Thus, by the time Twilight recovers her lost magical energy, she could then read the book and study its spells within it.

I know it looks like I've wrote this out of a sense of denial over Twilight becoming an alicorn princess, and for that, you're right.  I've been so accustomed to Twilight having a normal life in Ponyville with her friends, that to me, turning her into an alicorn princess would feel like an act of heresy on the part of Hasbro and the writers.  But other than that, what are your theories as to how the finale will go, and why?

• Brohoof 2

That's an interesting theory, it reminds me almost of the Portal series.

I personally, am in agreement. I don't think the Alicorn part will be permanent. Though she probably will be a Princess, but not "Ruling over Canterlot" kind of princess. 

More of a "Princess but still most importantly the student of Celestia" kind of Princess.

I think I'm in denial too ;)

Plot twist:

Twilight became corrupted with evil after she became an alicorn and she becomes the main villain for season 4.The remaining mane 5 almost got killed by their best friend but Trixie showed up and defeated Twilight, she became the new member of the group as well as the new element of magic.

• Brohoof 3