Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Sitting here listening to FiM songs, I can't help but feel inspired and reminded of my faith in the writers. I'm not suggesting blind faith or anything, but I'm going to wait until it airs next week and see how I naturally feel about how it goes.

I like the look with the dress, but without... uh... Eh. Seeing wings attached to her actual body instead of sticking out of a dress comes into contact with my solid perception of Twilight in regards to her physically design; seeing her actual body and usual look with wings attached feels... weird. I do hope they approach this issue well.

I'm optimistic, but as someone else said, this seems to me the thinnest ice they've ever crossed.

• Brohoof 2

I have yet another idea on how anti-alicorn Twilight fans can deal with the situation.

If you have any good editing and/or dubbing software, I recommend taking any and all post-Season 3 episodes and erasing Alicorn Twilight's wings and any royal accessories she wears in said episodes.

If Twilight is given a scene where she flies, simply using said editing software to make it look like she's using telekinesis, or even cut out her flying scenes entirely if they're not important to the overall story.

I'd suggest not worrying about the rest of her figure though, I think as long as Twilight looks like a regular unicorn we can tolerate the idea of her looking slightly taller and skinnier.

That sound decent enough?

• Brohoof 2

I believe that Twi becoming an Alicorn is just a vision/fantasy. Why, because if she were an becoming an Alicorn Princess(She going into royalty and all) would be accompanied by, hmmm I don't know, the Princesses of Equestria. She is standing alone on the balcony with no one beside her or with the doors open to reveal the Princesses. Thus giving in the final conclusion of it just being a dream. You don't just close the door on the Sun, Moon, and Love Goddesses(If you call them that)Plus in a dream wouldn't you, if you were prince/ princess, want to show how your might and how awesome you are? My guess is that when Twi hears about the princess coronation she believes it to be her own. So wanting to impress everypony she wants to make her own magic and upon testing however something happens thus setting the stage for The Magical Mystery Cure.

• Brohoof 1

I think we should just wait and see. I have no doubt that Twilight will become an alicorn, and I think it would be extremely unlikely for it to last only one episode. In my opinion, the change is either permanent, or it doesn't happen at all. There's already been too much hype about it for things to just go back the way they were.

Well (this is far fetched but) we all know that Twilight is royalty and that she is very special, having the most raw power, being an element, and celestia's personal prodigy.  

"we all know that Twilight is royalty" I assume your referring to her being now related to Princess Cadence then? Personally I'm interested in what Cadence is a princess of  :wacko:  And I also wonder what Twilight will be a princess of?

• Brohoof 3

"we all know that Twilight is royalty" I assume your referring to her being now related to Princess Cadence then? Personally I'm interested in what Cadence is a princess of  :wacko:  And I also wonder what Twilight will be a princess of?

I believe Cadence is princess of (nouns) idea:Love and thing:The Crystal Empire.  As for Twilight I'm not sure... Friendship perchance?

New theory as to how this plays out?

S3 ends with AliTwi princess. This is all but confirmed by the reports and statements, so it's most likely going to be the case. But, the opener to S4 revolves around the issues she faces, a song or two with some soul searching, the rest of the Mane 6 are seen more in memories than in pony (?), and by the end of S4E2, Twi revokes her title and status so she can stay with her friends.

This gives 2-3 episodes for Twi to deal with the "new challenges" McCarthy noted, the whole gap between seasons for the toys to be a hit, and show time for a developed story and satisfying conclusion to this touchy case. Only downside is waiting for the interseason gap to end.

Or, it may be the ramblings of a dissatisfied madman. Who can tell?  :)

• Brohoof 2

I think Twilight being an alicorn has to be true, the photos practically confirmed it. I guess, the theory can almost be put to bed. :P

The "theory" has been put to bed for weeks. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to stay out of this thread for a while.  My thoughts on Alicorn Twilight are well documented here, and at this point no one's going to change anyone's mind one way or the other.  Just one last thing, though:

I have faith in the writers.  But that's overshadowed by my total lack of faith in Hasbro at this point.

• Brohoof 2

This will be my last time posting on this topic, because at this point it feels like I'm just repeating myself. Plus, the hardcore effect is starting to kick in with this topic, and that is a sign that I should avoid it. 

1) No, I never said Godlike.  (Otherwise I would have used Jesus as an analogy instead of Bill Gates).  But the whole point of the Princess Coronation is that it is a marked change in status.  Much like a billionaire is at a much different point in their life than I am,  Her ascending to the "next level" like that puts her in kind of a different place than the others.  To put it in baseball terms,it would be like if your friend was the star pitcher for the World Series champions while you were still in the minor leagues. 

2) For Sailor Moon, you don't feel her change to Princess Serenity because there's no constant physical reminder of that change.  Assuming this is a permanent change, those alicorn wings will *always* be there and remind you of what Twilight's become. 

And kids shows are probably the *least* likely candidates for status quo shifts. 

I'll address your last line, since I really didn't give many examples.  Transformers, He-Man, Thundercats, and numerous other kid's shows beg to differ on the whole 'least likely for a status quo shift' issue.  Each of those shows changed things up multiple times (and I'm talking about the originals, not the remakes or reboots).

Status Quo shifts serve two purposes.  First, they advance the storyline.  So far, changes we've seen include Twilight meeting Cadance and Shining Armour, as well as each of the mane six introducing their pets and origin stories.  So this isn't the first shift we've seen (though this is admittedly the biggest one).  Second, these changes serve to keep the show fresh by adding new scenarios and challenges for the characters to face.  When you escalate a character or a group of characters, situations naturally have to get more challenging and complex to keep things interesting.  Otherwise, the change serves no purpose.  Wether this will happen or not remains to be seen.  But given who we have for writers, it seems almost certain that it will.

HOWEVER, there is one criticism that I will make regarding this particular event, and it's one that I'm surprised not many people have brought up yet, considering the fact that's it's pretty hard to ignore.  It's the fact that they're making a change like this in one episode.  Now while this kind of thing is doable, I think that for a permanent change like this (if it is permanent), it would be better to handle it in a multi-part episode or a movie.  Doing this in a single episode could have the side effect of making the change feel abrupt and rushed.

Edited by SBaby

Alternatively, Twilight's coronation is as a secret princess and only her closest friends and family and the royal sisters and discord attend, because the first group aren't going to be all worshippy or I'm-going-to-schmooze-and-mooch-as-much-as-I-can-off-you, the next group is already high nobility at the least and some are already royals (CAUSE CAHDENZA AND SHINING ARMOIRE) and the last three are going to do most of the actual coronating and alicornificating unless the Elements do it all for them.

And Twilight hides her accessories and glamours her wings to invisibility whenever she wants to go out in public. Maximum princess, minimal show-it-all.

• Brohoof 1

You know what I find funny about the people who believe that Twilight will ditch her friends?

So apparently, that would mean Hasbro's big money making idea was to not only make Twilight an alicorn, but to also kick her out of the show.

Because thats smart.

The main issue with the whole alicorn thing is that I have no idea how they'll be able to tie that in well with the confirmed 4th season. I trust the writers, but I think the princess upgrade is a bad move on Hasbro's part. Granted, it would make an exellent FINAL episode, because really, she's quite qualified for the position (if a bit impulsive) but I can't see the shpw going on if she's a princess in Canterlot and whatnot. Or Ponyville. I definitely think we should've had more seasons before this happened, but hey, we'll just have to see what happens in S4 because it's way too early to complain! I speculate that this coronation/whatever won't make Twilight an alicorn through S4, rather perhaps be a prediction of her future destiny, and S4+ will continue as normal, though with the knowledge that she'll be Princess someday. If they go that route, that's actually a pretty decent conclusion for FiM as a series. Though, I hope it doesn't end anytime soon!

• Brohoof 2

Hello all.  I saw this topic while surfing the web and wanted to chip in.  I love the show, and I love Twilight Sparkle, and personally I believe she deserves becoming a Princess.  But I read a few things on the first 10 pages of the topic that I thought were a little over the top or a little off.  I want to give my opinion on these matters and see what everybody thought. the first point that I thought was off-base was:

1:Twilight becoming a princess ought to mean the show is coming to an end.

Um, why is this?  When I see this, i take it to assume that the show is soley about Twilight Sparkle, but its not.  It isn't even about the mane six.  It's about friendship.  About how to deal with those different than you and realizing that they have something to offer you, and realizing that having others around you just makes things better. 

Look at Twilight Sparkle during the first episode.  At first she didn't care about anyone other than Celestia, Spike, and her, at the time, unkown brother and parents.  She wouldn't have even been to Ponyville if Celestia hadn't ordered her. Plus when she met the others, it was obvious that she couldn't get away from them fast enough.  But by the end of the second episode, she realized that she wouldn't have succeeded without the help of ponies who had welcomed her as a friend, and that together they were capable of doing something far greater than they were able to alone and together they learn about friendship along with the viewer.

img-1150327-1-mane_six_no_bg_by_aquillic

If anything, I would imagine making Twilight a princess woud help the show run even longer.  Nothing tests a friendship like a big change. I would compare Twilight becoming a princess to her winning the lottery.  People always treat you differently when you're rich, and from the season 3 finale on,  I would expect everypony, her friends included, will be treating Twilight differently. Twilight herself, being a mare of modesty will need to learn to cope with her differentiated treatment just as her friends might need to realize that despite the wings, tiara and title, Twilight is still the bookworm wizard they know and love.

2:Twilight, as a princess, will have to leave her friends and participate in Equestria politics.

Did i miss the episode where they said that a Princess is incapable of having friends, or dod this mean that Princess Celestia ordered Twilight to make friends, learn all about how wonderful they are, only to force them apart? Cause, that would be, you know, cruel. I doubt that will happen, because the show is about friendship, and Twilight would need her friends to keep the party going.  On the other hand, she could just make new friends and forget about the others, but I don't think anybody wants that.

img-1150327-2-sad_pinkie_pie_by_brianc10

As for her taking part in Equestria politics or her replacing Celestia and Luna,( Who, lest we forget, are co-rulers of Equestria) I sincerly doubt that is gonna happen, at least in the span of the show's life. Regardless of what we may think, I believe Twilight is still very young, maybe late teens to early twenties(if you assume that Equestrian ponies age at a rate similar to humans), due to the fact that she is very much still a student. Celestia is very wise, as we all have seen, and she won't shoulder a burden on Twilight that she isn't ready for.  I'm not expecting Celestia to hand Twilight a crown and say "get to work"

Twilight will eventually take a leadership role in one form or another.  But that isn't until Twilight has learned a lot more.  In the mean time, she'll be getting into tons of antics with her friends.(Just imagine episodes where Rainbow Dash  teaches her how to fly, spike turns the library into a Princess Twilight mueseum with admission costing a jewel upon entry, or Rarity "borrowing" the royal tiara and subsequently breaking/or losing it and then trying to get it replaced.)

3: Princess Twilight would make the other mane six obsolete, and that she would become way too powerfull

I'd like to address the second point first with this:

img-1150327-3-Filly_Twilight_in_full_pow

When Twilight Sparkle's magic awakened, she not only hatched Spike, she aged him to the point where he was 4 to 5 stories tall, transformed both of her parents as well put some sort of continous levitation spell on four judges, put on a spectacular light show, and apparently discharged lighting.  Does anyone really think becoming an Alicorn will cause that much of a difference other than giving her wings? And the problem of her being too powerful is only a problem if she abuses her power, which she won't, or is a master spell caster, which she isn't. Having the power isn't the same as being able to weild it.

As for the argument that the others would become useless, that would only happen if Alicorns are naturally (i.e. being able to do with no prior experience) able to:

•  make sonic rainbooms
  • be master flyers
  •  work with plants, the weather (not counting the sun and the moon) and critters
  • be skilled business ponies
  • have the uncanny ability to predict random events
  • communicate with animals
  • tame the fiercest wild animals
  • throw parties for any occasion
  • be strong and athletic
  • Make top of the line clothes
  • be skilled bakers
  • Master Ice Skaters

These are all talents that Twilight, nor any of the Princesses have really shown, yet the rest of the mane six have shown more than once. These fillies are some of the most talented in all of Equestria, and twilight becoming a princess will never change that. 

4: Luna was jealous of Twilight in "The Crystal Empire," and fears she is being replaced

Again I ask "Why?" as in "Why would Celestia replace her sister, who she loves and is her equal?"  That just doen't make sense.  I thought, when I saw that episode, that it was a worried look, like Luna was worried for her friend Twilight. The friend who reunited her with her sister and taught her how to cope with the new Equestria she found herself dealing with. 

It was also mentioned that Luna left the room for the briefing.  I think it would only be natural, considering Celestia called the task she had for Twilight a "test," and left to give the two of them their space. After all what business of it is Luna's to sit in on a private discussion between mentor and pupil? 

Well that's all I've got.  I tend to rant sometimes.

Edited by Rainbow RapiDASH
  • Brohoof 5

According to the Synopsis given in the "Events" Section, I'm guessing that her destiny will get swapped with a Princess and become an Alicorn for a short period of time. I hope that she will have to make the choice of "Power or Friends" at the climax of the episode. If not, then I can accept her as an alicorn.

If so, then everythings going to be all hunky doory.

I just thought of something. (If someone's thought of this already, I apologize.)

Someone said earlier (or in another thread..I don't remember who you are, apologies.) that in the picture of Twily as an Alicorn, she was alone on the balcony. They said that she was probably dreaming about it, otherwise wouldn't she be with the Princesses of Equestria instead of by herself?

That made me think. Maybe Twilight IS dreaming/daydreaming about it. Maybe she gets the oppertunity to become Alicorn Princess, and imagines what would happen.

She could dream about how she'd pretty much give her life up; she'd most likely lose her friends, there'd be no time to spend with them. She'd be busy all the time, her friends would probably feel inadequate next to her..

So maybe she says no. Maybe she refuses the offer and stays as normal unicorn Twily. :huh:

Anything could happen, really...I still like the idea of Morgan Freeman taking over her voice role when she turns Alicorn.

Which I'd still prefer not to happen. <_<

Edited by Princess Nightingale
  • Brohoof 1

http://youtu.be/3BYLv7AqGMQ

I'm going to make the unusual decision of linking a fan song. This was created by Mando Pony, who as we all know is working on the show itself now, as a "rush job" to quote him in response to the fandom backlash against Alicorn Twilight. It's a good song, too, and one I think should soothe people's worries because it sums up how I expect Twilight herself to be reacting, in the show.

• Brohoof 4

Here's my theory on this:

Remember how the title is called, "Magical Mystery Cure," and that Twilight becomes a princess by restoring her friends' cutie-marks with her own newly-created spell?  I feel that this same spell will come with unintended and disastrous side-effects, which in the third act of the episode, Twilight can only avert by sacrificing her newly-acquired wings and princess-magic, and in-turn her princesshood.  That way, she can remain with her friends without the need to become a princess, and everything is restored to normal, even with her dramatically diminished magic as a result from this.

I pray to Celestia that this happens, though, because the last thing I want to see is one of the six main ponies get all the special treatment in the world, while her friends are left normal and mundane.  Who cares if Twilight will "remain herself" and "still be with her friends"?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Guys, seriouslyTHERE'S SOMETHING THEY AREN'T TELLING US. Remember "A Canterlot Wedding"? absolutely none of the advertising or toyline made any reference to the fact that Twilight Sparkle had to battle a Pony-Insect-Succubus-Thing, and that Princess Cadence was actually this Pony-Insect-Succubus-Thing in disguise, so cheer up! Twilight probably only gets alicorn powers temporarily to fight some great evil or something.

post-12475-0-46541200-1360174180.gif

Edited by Yourself

Guys, seriouslyTHERE'S SOMETHING THEY AREN'T TELLING US. Remember "A Canterlot Wedding"? absolutely none of the advertising or toyline made any reference to the fact that Twilight Sparkle had to battle a Pony-Insect-Succubus-Thing, and that Princess Cadence was actually this Pony-Insect-Succubus-Thing in disguise, so cheer up! Twilight probably only gets alicorn powers temporarily to fight some great evil or something.

I would agree with you, very gladly I should say, if not for the fact that this is just one 22 minute episode. There's just not enought time to make a story like this,