Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Well, what if the side-effects do not take hold until much later on?  Fluttershy might have seemed normal, but as time progresses, her loss of the Element of Kindness would gradually turn Fluttershy into a cruel-hearted jerk, like in Return of Harmony.

Or she could just use the memory spell she used to save her friends the first time.

You know something? I'm done with you.  All you've really been doing is taking the same "side effect" theory and stating it differently, expecting everyone to agree with you.  Not to mention that you keep expecting this to happen within a 22 minute season finale.  All you really are doing is setting yourself up to hate a show that you've enjoyed so far because you assume it wil be bad before you've actually watched it. 

Oh, and you do realize that Twilight is practically royalty already, right?  Between being Celestia's student, a hero of Equestria as well as being the sister of a prince, she's a princess already in all but name.

Edited by Rainbow RapiDASH
  • Brohoof 1

Here's a little sneak peek at the coronation, the pictures were taken today at the Coronation Concert : 

BCsab02CYAEgJPY.jpg

Can't copy/paste an Instagram picture so here's the link : http://instagram.com/p/VhqkRly1-u/

It looks like Luna's on the right and Celestia on the left, and the crowd really seems to confirm the fact that this isn't a one time and discreet thing  : she will become and stay a princess. 

I don't exactly know why I bother to come in here and try to give hope to people, when I'm sure a lot of the forumites that frequent this topic are of the pessimistic variety, who are just sure this is going to turn out bad, or at the very least, refuse to be even a little optimistic. That said, have the latest preview:

It would appear it's her friends that are turning Twilight into an alicorn. To quote a random commenter from EQD:

If it's actually the Elements that make Twilight an alicorn, then that couldn't be any more perfect. It'll be literally her friends who help her achieve her destiny then, which is the ultimate triumph of their friendship. And here people actually thought being a princess meant Twilight was gonna insta abandon her friends. I'm stoked. Bring on alicorn Twilight! (And season 4 to 9, too.)

If anything, be overly annoyed at the fact that the HUB/Hasbro think we need a stupid celebrity guest for the show as a host :P

Here's a little sneak peek at the coronation, the pictures were taken today at the Coronation Concert : 

img-1160404-1-BCsab02CYAEgJPY.jpg

Can't copy/paste an Instagram picture so here's the link : http://instagram.com/p/VhqkRly1-u/

It looks like Luna's on the right and Celestia on the left, and the crowd really seems to confirm the fact that this isn't a one time and discreet thing  : she will become and stay a princess. 

You don't know that yourself, because these were just two measly screenshots.

Perhaps you were misinterpreting the screenshots, and that it'll still be temporary.  Yes, Twilight becomes a princess, but who knows?  Maybe this is Act 2, and Act 3 has Twilight return to Ponyville in shambles, and her friends acting the opposite of their Elements as a side-effect of transferring them into Twilight to turn her into an alicorn?  And, the only way to reverse those effects is if Twilight returns the Elements to her friends, at the expense of her princesshood, because not even the memory spell could return them into their old selves like last time.

But even then, who the hell am I kidding?  Every time I create those theories, there is always someone creating their own counter-theories that render mine useless.  I suck at arguments, and whenever things don't go my way, I just tantrum like a little child and overreact, rather than come up with a rational counter-argument of my own.

It's temporary, I know it.  The screenshots are showing Act 2 of the finale, and by the third act, there will be circumstances that would have Twilight sacrifice her princesshood to save her friends.  Hell, Lauren Faust even confirmed this herself, that on her Twitter page, this wasn't the direction she actually intended!

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Yes... please, be real screenshots! The fact that it says "throw confetti" on the screen makes it look like it's not quite from the episode, but the other shot... I am very much hoping this is a true leak. I want permanent Alicorn Twilight. I might be one of the very few who'll be cheering as it happens, but oh how I want it so much now.

• Brohoof 2

Yes... please, be real screenshots! The fact that it says "throw confetti" on the screen makes it look like it's not quite from the episode, but the other shot... I am very much hoping this is a true leak. I want permanent Alicorn Twilight. I might be one of the very few who'll be cheering as it happens, but oh how I want it so much now.

Since the event was for little girls, it seems that it was an interactive screening of the episode, but as the mother that took one of these pics confirmed to me, they did see the season finale.

I have a question regarding this.  Why aren't the writers confirming ahead of time that Princess Twilicorn is either temporary or permanent?

Because they are not supposed to be talking about it at all. They are under NDA if they break that they will be fired, have the potential to be sued, and on top of all that it can heavily damage their careers.

Because they are not supposed to be talking about it at all. They are under NDA if they break that they will be fired, have the potential to be sued, and on top of all that it can heavily damage their careers.

Wait.  When it comes to spoilers, the original writers of any story are not allowed to spoil the plot of their creations until it's released?  And, if any time they spoil it ahead of time, they can get fired?

Well, if that's the case, then surely, just surely, this might imply that Princess Twilicorn will be temporary after all!  Right?

Wait.  When it comes to spoilers, the original writers of any story are not allowed to spoil the plot of their creations until it's released?  And, if any time they spoil it ahead of time, they can get fired?

Well, if that's the case, then surely, just surely, this might imply that Princess Twilicorn will be temporary after all!  Right?

The owners of the IP decide whether to spoil it or not. The people writing the checks.

So the only implication is that the owners of the IP either don't care about what you think, or think that this speculation is increasing the IP's value by creating buzz. They are under no obligation to confirm or deny anything.

Getting fans into a tizzy is a standard marketing tactic. The logic is that non-fans will see it, and enough of them will go 'Wow, that's something those people care deeply about, we should check it out!' to outweigh the number of fans that get butthurt and boycott the product. This works as long as the non-fans outnumber the fans, and the changes they make to the IP only alienates a percentage of fans and not the entire fanbase. Which is true here.

The change may or may not be permanent in the series. Hasbro likely doesn't care, if a corporation can be said to have 'feelings' at all. They're going to make money off the Twilicorn toy sales either way at this point thanks to the Bronies making such a big fuss over it. Given the number of fans that are on-board for Twilicorn, they now know this won't alienate the entire fanbase so as far as they're concerned the marketing tactic is working. In fact, it's in their interest to keep it going as long as they can, to exhaust this tactic before moving on to a new one to increase toy sales.

The owners of the IP decide whether to spoil it or not. The people writing the checks.

So the only implication is that the owners of the IP either don't care about what you think, or think that this speculation is increasing the IP's value by creating buzz. They are under no obligation to confirm or deny anything.

Getting fans into a tizzy is a standard marketing tactic. The logic is that non-fans will see it, and enough of them will go 'Wow, that's something those people care deeply about, we should check it out!' to outweigh the number of fans that get butthurt and boycott the product. This works as long as the non-fans outnumber the fans, and the changes they make to the IP only alienates a percentage of fans and not the entire fanbase. Which is true here.

The change may or may not be permanent in the series. Hasbro likely doesn't care, if a corporation can be said to have 'feelings' at all. They're going to make money off the Twilicorn toy sales either way at this point thanks to the Bronies making such a big fuss over it. Given the number of fans that are on-board for Twilicorn, they now know this won't alienate the entire fanbase so as far as they're concerned the marketing tactic is working. In fact, it's in their interest to keep it going as long as they can, to exhaust this tactic before moving on to a new one to increase toy sales.

So what you're trying to tell me is that... I was being manipulated, just so that Hasbro could get my attention?

This isn't even a nice tactic, really.  Upsetting and angering people over a bad and unnecessary change, just to make a quick dollar?

Well, if that's the case, then should I believe it'll temporary all along, or panic and believe it'll be permanent?

So what you're trying to tell me is that... I was being manipulated, just so that Hasbro could get my attention?

This isn't even a nice tactic, really.  Upsetting and angering people over a bad and unnecessary change, just to make a quick dollar?

Well, if that's the case, then should I believe it'll temporary all along, or panic and believe it'll be permanent?

Not quite, but close. You're being manipulated to get *other people's* attention. All those people you are likely complaining to that wouldn't normally look at MLP, but who might take a look due to curiosity over what has you so upset. And it's not a quick dollar, as the general hope would be that those attracted by curiosity will like what they see and be retained long enough that they can be used in a repeat of the tactic. It's basically Trolling as marketing, and it works a lot better on modern internet-driven fandoms than it did back when this was pioneered with soap operas. 

As to whether it's nice or not... It's a common failing in these kinds of fandoms to anthropomorphize things. Hasbro is a corporation, not a living thing. It doesn't have feelings, it doesn't have morals. It is a *collection* of people who have feelings and may have morals, but the collective is not the individuals. Collectives and gestalts by their very nature act bizarrely, with what some would describe as schizophrenic behavior. It's all about 'mob psychology', and whether there are sufficiently strong personalities inside the mob directing it consistently. And given that nobody seems to be calling out the CEO of Hasbro or any other individual specifically, just 'Hasbro' in general, there doesn't appear to be a driving personality behind it all.

And unfortunately, your belief is irrelevant. You've already done your job in driving the marketing. Your only real decision to make is whether you want to panic or not. The event is going to happen, one way or another. It may be permanent, it may be temporary. Technically it by it's very nature will be temporary because MLP:FiM will eventually come to an end. Everything does. The only thing you can control is your reaction to it.

Not quite, but close. You're being manipulated to get *other people's* attention. All those people you are likely complaining to that wouldn't normally look at MLP, but who might take a look due to curiosity over what has you so upset. And it's not a quick dollar, as the general hope would be that those attracted by curiosity will like what they see and be retained long enough that they can be used in a repeat of the tactic. It's basically Trolling as marketing, and it works a lot better on modern internet-driven fandoms than it did back when this was pioneered with soap operas. 

As to whether it's nice or not... It's a common failing in these kinds of fandoms to anthropomorphize things. Hasbro is a corporation, not a living thing. It doesn't have feelings, it doesn't have morals. It is a *collection* of people who have feelings and may have morals, but the collective is not the individuals. Collectives and gestalts by their very nature act bizarrely, with what some would describe as schizophrenic behavior. It's all about 'mob psychology', and whether there are sufficiently strong personalities inside the mob directing it consistently. And given that nobody seems to be calling out the CEO of Hasbro or any other individual specifically, just 'Hasbro' in general, there doesn't appear to be a driving personality behind it all.

And unfortunately, your belief is irrelevant. You've already done your job in driving the marketing. Your only real decision to make is whether you want to panic or not. The event is going to happen, one way or another. It may be permanent, it may be temporary. Technically it by it's very nature will be temporary because MLP:FiM will eventually come to an end. Everything does. The only thing you can control is your reaction to it.

And how do you know this?  Have you taken up any business classes?

I mean, I have to say, if someone was able to recognize that I was being manipulated, then that means he (like you, for example) have done so much research on business psychology.

Also, I wasn't saying that the advertising tactic will be temporary or permanent.  I was referring to Princess Twilicorn itself.

I'm old. I've worked in a marketing department, as well as an explosives factory, down a mine doing equipment maintenance, a call center, a book publisher, an oil refinery, etc. I've been an actor, a roadie for a band... Basically I've been around and have a lot of 'life experience'. No reason for you to believe all that, of course. There's no way I can prove it to you. For all you know this is just a 12-year old trying to rile you up into an argument for the lulz.

Nothing is permanent. Even if Twilight is an alicorn to the end of MLP:FiM, the MLP:FiM series itself will end eventually. If you're asking whether Twilight will be an alicorn only for one episode or for the entirety of Season 4, the only people who know that are the writers right now, providing that they've already finished the scripts for Season 4. Even if Twilight becomes an alicorn temporarily for the last episode of Season 3, that doesn't stop the writers having her *poof* into an alicorn at the end of every episode in Season 4 as a running joke. That's up to them.

And even if Twilight *is* an alicorn in the rest of MLP:FiM, unicorn Twilight is still there. MLP:FiM has pretty much hit critical mass. The only way for any of the Mane6 to change forever is if the fandom itself abandons them. There's enough fanfiction, fan-animations, music, art, etc. out there to keep all the versions of these characters 'alive'.

EDIT 1:

I mean, I have to say, if someone was able to recognize that I was being manipulated, then that means he (like you, for example) have done so much research on business psychology.

Sorry, your edit and my post must have crossed each other, so I didn't fully answer your second paragraph.

In case it matters, yes, I have taken both business and psychology course way back when I was in university. I've got multiple degrees and diplomas as you kinda start to accumulate them after awhile.

But none of that really matters, because if they don't cover this in Marketing 101 in your first year I don't know why you'd bother finishing your degree there.

This is an extension of the old adage of 'There's no such thing as bad press'. Controversy sells, and leaking stuff so that a percentage of fans get upset and make as much noise as possible has been a standard marketing tactic since the 70's and 80's. People are attracted to stuff like that. It's why Michael Bay and Uwe Boll still have film careers, and Rob Liefeld is still a big name in comic books. They thrive on taking something fans love, messing with it just enough to make fans mad, and then raking in the cash as people buy seats/copies/whatever just to see what the fuss is about. It's not rocket science, and once they see it in action every marketing executive wants to pull it off because it's *easy*. Heck, as I mentioned in my previous post I did work in a marketing department for awhile, and my boss was desperate to build a fanbase on one of their properties just so they could use this tactic. It didn't work for them, because they couldn't get a serious fanbase going on the translated foreign-language fiction they were pushing.

They're not targeting you directly, just someone *like* you. If it didn't work, they'd just shrug their shoulders and try something else. Not that long ago there were a couple of marketing companies who got into trouble because they created their own forum accounts and tried to stir up stuff from whole cloth, because it was easier than trying to make actual changes to their products. So this kind of stuff isn't exactly a *secret*, just something that marketers hope your not paying close enough attention to, to notice.

EDIT 2:

As a note, I find it interesting that nearly all the new licensed MLP products being shown at ToyFair, I'm only seeing two items for Princess Sparkle, and a *bunch* for just plain Twilight Sparkle. For something that is supposed to be the big push, that's pretty poor market coverage. Most of that stuff is hitting market after the episode airs, so they're effectively not going to be riding the surge that Hasbro is supposedly wanting.

Not that this means Princess Sparkle isn't permanent in the series, but it's odd that Hasbro either hasn't informed most of their licensed manufacturers, did so too late for the majority of the 2013 product lines, or the manufacturers decided to not take any action over it.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 1

Hmm, Twilight Sparkle, princess of the in-between? Perhaps a bumbling lesser princess who still hangs out at Ponyville? I wouldnt be surprised.

This thread is making me like Luna more, though, somehow.

(Speculating on it even though it might be what we're all being meant to do lol.)

tl;dr

Well, I have one problem with that marketing tactic they used on people like me: It distracted me from my real-life.

I've been scrounging all over the Internet, such as mlp.wikia.com, just to find answers as to whether or not this is temporary or permanent. I kept analyzing screenshots and promos, trying to piece together the entire episode before it could air. Unfortunately, every time I do that, it just leads me to more questions than actual answers.

And, what's even worse, is that I'm obsessed with it, almost to the point of being distracted from my real-life. I can't study at school like I used to. I can't enjoy anything else I enjoy, like Mass Effect 3, for example. I can't even remain optimistic, and it just makes me even more clingy to My Little Pony and Twilight Sparkle as a unicorn rather than an alicorn! I'm just constantly angry, confused, ridiculously obsessed. And, I blame Hasbro and the writers for this.

They could've used other marketing tactics to win their audiences over, like the fan-feedback tactic BioWare is using right now! And, they could've created other MLP toylines other than Princess Twilight! Instead, they have to use destructive, manipulative tactics that turn people like myself into obsessed, emotional wrecks, who can't live a normal life because some corporate douchebags decided to turn me into their marketing slave.

You don't know that yourself, because these were just two measly screenshots.

Perhaps you were misinterpreting the screenshots, and that it'll still be temporary.  Yes, Twilight becomes a princess, but who knows?  Maybe this is Act 2, and Act 3 has Twilight return to Ponyville in shambles, and her friends acting the opposite of their Elements as a side-effect of transferring them into Twilight to turn her into an alicorn?  And, the only way to reverse those effects is if Twilight returns the Elements to her friends, at the expense of her princesshood, because not even the memory spell could return them into their old selves like last time.

But even then, who the hell am I kidding?  Every time I create those theories, there is always someone creating their own counter-theories that render mine useless.  I suck at arguments, and whenever things don't go my way, I just tantrum like a little child and overreact, rather than come up with a rational counter-argument of my own.

It's temporary, I know it.  The screenshots are showing Act 2 of the finale, and by the third act, there will be circumstances that would have Twilight sacrifice her princesshood to save her friends.  Hell, Lauren Faust even confirmed this herself, that on her Twitter page, this wasn't the direction she actually intended!

So then you're renegade Shepard?

Just kidding, jokes aside. I hope this theory is right. All my arguments that consist of the fact that Twilight is an overpowered character and too... Special compared to the rest. I get she's the main character of the main characters, but still. Equality between all of them. Hell even though I love Rainbow to death, she seems like she's starting to outweigh the rest of them and wouldn't mind too much if they toned her down a tad. But with Twilight being in every single episode with more than a couple lines, her being the Princess' personal student, and having damn near godlike magic powers, she's too unbalanced of a character, and making her an Alicorn doesn't help the fact. If it's only temporary however... I think it'll be fine IF they do it right.

Now let me explain this part. If they just change her back and act like nothing happened, that's bad writing. They need a full reason to change her back like you said. There are many things that could happen for this. She could realize that she can't be with her friends unless she gives up her powers, she might get overwhelmed with the responsibilities of being a princess and tell Celestia she doesn't want it. Or she'll have to stop some evil power and use all of her new power, forcing her alicorniness (For lack of a better word) to go away.

Well, I have one problem with that marketing tactic they used on people like me: It distracted me from my real-life.

I've been scrounging all over the Internet, such as mlp.wikia.com, just to find answers as to whether or not this is temporary or permanent. I kept analyzing screenshots and promos, trying to piece together the entire episode before it could air. Unfortunately, every time I do that, it just leads me to more questions than actual answers.

And, what's even worse, is that I'm obsessed with it, almost to the point of being distracted from my real-life. I can't study at school like I used to. I can't enjoy anything else I enjoy, like Mass Effect 3, for example. I can't even remain optimistic, and it just makes me even more clingy to My Little Pony and Twilight Sparkle as a unicorn rather than an alicorn! I'm just constantly angry, confused, ridiculously obsessed. And, I blame Hasbro and the writers for this.

They could've used other marketing tactics to win their audiences over, like the fan-feedback tactic BioWare is using right now! And, they could've created other MLP toylines other than Princess Twilight! Instead, they have to use destructive, manipulative tactics that turn people like myself into obsessed, emotional wrecks, who can't live a normal life because some corporate douchebags decided to turn me into their marketing slave.

Ummm that seems rather unhealthy for you. My advice: go out for or a walk and take a major brake. There is no need at all to let a cartoon take this much control over your life.

RD

• Brohoof 1

Everyone needs to stop worrying about alicorn Twilight. It's happening, and there is nothing we can do about it. Now that I have your attention, allow me to direct you all to what you should be truly scared of; the rumoured humanized-spinoff show for tween girls.

Behold:

img-1164781-1-18_58_48_633_239266__UNOPT__safe_humanized.jpg.jpg

Seriously though, this pessimism is just depressing. Everyone needs to lighten up. It's not going to be nearly as bad as you all are making it seem. Who knows, it may be a good thing.

• Brohoof 2

Regarding that pic of the humanized Mane Six, someone is obviously trolling us. This is all just fan art designed to play around with our feelings, like Princess Twilight.

Could be. We thought the same thing about the reddit post that prophecized Alicorn Twilight, but that turned out to be real. In all honesty, as long as Friendship is Magic and this humanized-spinoff (alledgedly called "Equestria Girls") never cross pathes story-wise, I wouldn't mind if it were real.

But those designs are horrid. The only ones I would even consider "acceptable" are Rarity's, Applejack's, and Fluttershy's. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to have their skin color be their fur color (fake or not) was obvious on meth or something.

Could be. We thought the same thing about the reddit post that prophecized Alicorn Twilight, but that turned out to be real. In all honesty, as long as Friendship is Magic and this humanized-spinoff (alledgedly called "Equestria Girls") never cross pathes story-wise, I wouldn't mind if it were real.

But those designs are horrid. The only ones I would even consider "acceptable" are Rarity's, Applejack's, and Fluttershy's. Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to have their skin color be their fur color (fake or not) was obvious on meth or something.

You know what I'm most concerned of, though? That Season Four might actually be the rumored Equestria Girls show, and that while we have the humanized ponies, at the same time we won't have the same ponies we used to have ever again.

Why can't Hasbro just follow the gaming industry's model, and simply listen to their audiences, rather than troll with them? When you look at the gaming industry, often times the people who work there prefer listening to their audiences' complaints, so that they could improve upon them the next time around. Hasbro, on the other hand, just insults their audiences by changing everything about their franchises, even their core essences. Take a look at Michael Bay's Transformers, and compare that to Pokemon. The latter is still about collecting pet-monsters and raising them for battle, but the reason it's staying so successful today, especially for young-adults, is because it improves upon its formula, rather than replace it. The former, on the other hand, was not about what it was meant to be about: Robots that transform into vehicles and back; if it were, they would've improved on the formula, not replace it.

They're doing the same thing to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. They're turning Twilight into an alicorn princess without our consent, and might even make the change permanent. Season Four might also actually be the rumored Equestria Girls spin-off, and could eventually replace the My Little Pony we grew so accustomed to for so long. Hasbro needs to stop using shock-value and controversy to advertise their products, and just turn to the video game industry and the way it listens to its audience, rather than insult them.

EDIT: By the way, where did you get that picture?

You know what I'm most concerned of, though? That Season Four might actually be the rumored Equestria Girls show, and that while we have the humanized ponies, at the same time we won't have the same ponies we used to have ever again.

Why can't Hasbro just follow the gaming industry's model, and simply listen to their audiences, rather than troll with them? When you look at the gaming industry, often times the people who work there prefer listening to their audiences' complaints, so that they could improve upon them the next time around. Hasbro, on the other hand, just insults their audiences by changing everything about their franchises, even their core essences. Take a look at Michael Bay's Transformers, and compare that to Pokemon. The latter is still about collecting pet-monsters and raising them for battle, but the reason it's staying so successful today, especially for young-adults, is because it improves upon its formula, rather than replace it. The former, on the other hand, was not about what it was meant to be about: Robots that transform into vehicles and back; if it were, they would've improved on the formula, not replace it.

They're doing the same thing to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. They're turning Twilight into an alicorn princess without our consent, and might even make the change permanent. Season Four might also actually be the rumored Equestria Girls spin-off, and could eventually replace the My Little Pony we grew so accustomed to for so long. Hasbro needs to stop using shock-value and controversy to advertise their products, and just turn to the video game industry and the way it listens to its audience, rather than insult them.

EDIT: By the way, where did you get that picture?

It's plastered all over Derpibooru. Dunno where they got it from though.

I wouldn't worry about this alledged spinoff replacing Friendship is Magic. Hasbro IS planning a new IP, but it will apparently run alongside FiM, and will be targeting "tween" and "teen" girls.

Source: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/possible-equestria-girls-movie-on-way.html

Anyway, I'm not really worried that they're doing a spinoff, so much as I am worried they are using the Mane 6 IN that spinoff. Creating a new, completely unrelated cartoon and using existing characters just to ride on another cartoon's coattails never ends well (I'm looking at you All Grown Up, Pinkie and the Brain, and The Cleveland Show).

Hopefully they can pull it off, and as long as the two shows never do any crossovers, I think it can co-exist with FiM just fine. But those designs...

EDIT:

To clarify in case anyone was wondering. I'm not trying to stir up trouble. But I found that image, and figured it was best suited to be posted here, as it does not really merit it's own thread.

Edited by Twinhead B