Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I think Twilight will, be very calm & collective with her new duties.

Then, when Celestia and Luna will decide to let Twilight run Ponyville like the monarchy in Equestria. Twilight and her friends will so go on adventures though, besides they are proud of Twilight so why not.

I hope the fandom doesnt just go up in flames and die. This fandom actually makes a nice amount of sense. Im not sure what i would do bc first they would mess something else up and then something else and who knows where theyd stop. They might even go as far as to change luna for the worst, then it would be game over man, game over. I still have very mixed feelings about this change (twilight shouldnt be a flier. It just doesnt work) but as long as theres no other changes that threaten the fabric of space and time (like this one, there was an entire singing scene for it this time) I personally will be fine.

I thnk thats enough characters.

There's probably nothing out there that will make me 100% ok with Princess Twilight, and, imho, this charade of "you get to be a princess through hardwork, recognizing friends, etc...," when the change is really about toy sales, kind of irritates me. With that said however, the brony fandom will endure.  I have to echo the sentiments of Anadu. The only cautionary tale that needs to be said is at the end of the day, the show is product.  If Hasbro deems it necessary that Twilight's personality change to sell more princess toys, they will get what they want, end of discussion.  Just like that customer who walks into a subway shop and gets a ham sandwich/sub the way they want with the veggies and condiments.  No amount of Meghan McCarthy and Tara Strong tweets saying "She'll stay the same," "Don't worry, everything will be fine," and "I won't change her personality" won't matter.  Not to say the show is trash now since I still have faith in the writers, it's just that their comments can't be taken at face value anymore with a person like me.

Probably a mechanism to help me deal with this nonsensical change, but i'm "pretending" that I saw Princess Celestia remove + alter Twilight's spirit as we saw the regal mare fly into the air, exerting her magic.  I believe she intertwined her own magic with Twilight's to alter the pony since she was born a unicorn.  Sadly, this is probably wrong and Twilight didn't require alteration or her magic to be interwined with an alicorns since she would have "mutated" on her own. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but did anyone notice this:

Six white stars on her Cutie Mark. Not five. Something fishy is going on here...

I was wondering about that... It might symbolize that she now has power over all six of the elements? Did her cutie mark actually physically change, or was it just in those few shots?

Who knows? We'll just have to wait til season 4 to find out, I guess. ;)

I was wondering about that... It might symbolize that she now has power over all six of the elements? Did her cutie mark actually physically change, or was it just in those few shots?

That's what I wondered about, too. It all depends on what she becomes the princess of: If magic, then she probably just controls her element. If friendship, then it is a very real possibility that she is now the sole bearer of the elements. If the latter is the case, then I think the change is temporary, because the Mane 6 all controlling the Elements of Harmony together is one of the cornerstones of the show. 

Then again, doesn't this go against the stained glass in the Canterlot castle? But then again, a lot changed between Seasons 1/2 and Season 3, so that might be a moot point at this point.

So...I don't know. *shrugs* I guess we have to wait and see.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Well, we never really saw Twilight's cutie post-transformation, but in the few shots it's visible, her cutie mark is still five-starred. However, it's very likely that Twilight's cutie mark is an animation error (given it's only visible for about 30 frames post-transformation), as it's more likely that the banners and what not were intentional.

It could mean that Twilight's destiny was jumbled as well, but we won't know for certain until Season 4.

Might as well finish off what I started, so lets start off with further analysis of why Twilight's status causes fear in some people but also the new possibilities this change can bring.

My Best Friend is the Alicorn Ascendant, (How the Main 6 Dynamic may have changed)

In simple terms the main reason why some fans are so uncomfortable with Twilicorn is because it breaks the status quo. We came to love this show due to the bonding and character relationships between a diverse cast of engaging and interesting personalities and part of why it was so believable is because despite their different backgrounds they were all on the same level, they were a group of down to earth ponies (figuratively speaking), just living their lives, trying to follow their dreams while learning from one another. While Twilight has always been considered the main character and more special then the rest of her friends, it wasn't to a significant degree and it was easy to immerse in the slice of life drama that was presented.

But now Twilight is a princess and an Alicorn, so how does this change things? Well imagine your part of a close group of friends. You're ordinary down to earth people living normal lives, having fun. Then one day one of your friends in the group makes it big and becomes a rock star or something. Its great, you're happy for him and so is everyone else and you still get to hang out with each other. However things have changed, your friend now lives a more fantastical lifestyle, going to places you've never been before and dealing with problems you'll never experience. While you're all still friends, it feels awkward that one of you is so much more successful than the others and you all feel like you're stuck in his shadow.

This is the problem that some fans are fearing, that Twilight has reached the point where she and her friends can no longer relate to one another the same way they use to. Any accomplishments the rest of the gang achieve will now always be eclipsed by the fact that Twilight is an Alicorn princess. Being an a princess also comes with it an inherit authority and status above the common masses so any sense of equality before has now been lost. There's also the fact that Twilight has now grown moreso than the others. As stated in my previous post Twilight's transformation is a symbol of the wisdom and strength of character that she has now attained. How do you connect with someone who has reached the stars while your still on earth. If executed poorly, Twilight's new status might even turn her into a mary sue, characters who are loathed because they make all others insignificant and having the world revolve around them (I gotta admit, when Twilight started walking down that isle with a heavenly choir in background singing her praises, it felt like the 2nd coming of Jesus!).

Had Twilight's transformation happened as the final conclusion to the entire series, I don't think there would be nearly as much controversy as there is now as ascending into Alicornhood is the logical conclusion to her development. The danger now is that since there are more seasons to come, unless Twilight is given a whole new kind of character arc to go through, sticking to the same formula as before would feel incredibly hackneyed and contrite.

But its not all doom and gloom, with great change comes great opportunity.

When one door closes, another one opens

All of the risks and worries I stated thus far actually have the potential  in my opinion to be great stories. The next season of MLP could deal with Twilight and friends adjusting to her new life. Twilight's now princess duties now keep her from spending time with her friends and alienates her to a degree from the common ponyfolk she was once apart of. Her friends in turn learn to deal with the fact that Twilight won't be around as much as she use to and comes to terms with the new life Twilight now leads. In the end after much struggle and soul searching all parties learn that true friendship can overcome any physical or social obstacles and that we will never truly be apart as long as we hold our friends in our hearts.

If the writers show that they're not afraid of breaking the status quo, then there's the chance for all of the other main cast members to obtain the conclusion to their character arcs. You might say that letting the other ponies like Rainbow Dash or Rarity finally achieving their dreams to be the end of the show, but the writers can always pursue the complications of what life would be like after  obtaining their life long goal (I for one would love to see a two parter involving spike finally finding his long lost family and have him find a balance between embracing his dragon heritage and his life with his pony friends).

If Hasbro decides to let loose a little, we could also have a story arc involving either Twilight losing her Alicorn status to a new threat and over the course of the season regain her lost power to defeat her new foe, or perhaps have this new foe neutralise the other princesses temporarily, requiring Twilight to assume the duties of her mentors (with hilarious hijinks ensuing) while searching for a way to save them. A good example of taking risks, implementing change and maturing over time would be the Toy Story trilogy. While each film maintained the cast of core characters  the nature and lessons of Woody's trials changed over time as while friendship was a major theme, alongside that theme was growing up and accepting change and how while great friendships of the past moved on, oppportunities for new friendships will arise we can always keeps the memories of the old in our hearts.

Of course doing something new could also go wrong. A common way to extend a story where the main cast have already concluded their character arcs is to introduce a new set of characters to replace the old ones but this would just piss the fanbase off since it was the origninal main six that we fell in love with. As implied before it would also be ridiculous to go back to the status quo after such a game changer in Twilight's character development.

I don't know what lies ahead for the show and its fandom but what I do know is that inorder to keep the magic of this show alive, both the fandom and the writers are going to have to keep an open mind. Risks and new ideas will have to be have to be taken  as we explore new themes. Friendship is Magic will have to come to end eventually but hopefully that wont be for many years to come and lets enjoy the ride while it lasts.
  • Brohoof 6

"From all of us together, together we are friends, with the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!"

I'd like some insight on what this quote means. If I had to guess, I'd say Twilight's the sole bearer of the elements of harmony (or least the magical aspect of them) now, but it's kind of cryptic. What does the spell do when it's complete? Is it complete, or does it still have a flaw (I doubt Starswirl was trying to become a princess)?

SO many unanswered questions, so much time until Season 4...

While Twilight has always been considered the main character and more special then the rest of her friends, it wasn't to a significant degree and it was easy to immerse in the slice of life drama that was presented.

I agree with most of the post but this. This is simply not true. Her main character status has always been painfully obvious, and she has about twice as much screentime than any other character on the show.

As for not being special to a significant degree...

-Personal student of the princess.

-Most magically powerful Unicorn/element of magic itself.

-Leader of the EoH. Not merely a member, but the leader with special artefact.

-Enough social status to override the mayor. Pinkie Pie is an employee at a bakery. There's less social status difference between TS and Celestia herself than between TS and PP... and this was the case in the very first episode and onwards.

• Brohoof 1

"From all of us together, together we are friends, with the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end!"

I'd like some insight on what this quote means. If I had to guess, I'd say Twilight's the sole bearer of the elements of harmony (or least the magical aspect of them) now, but it's kind of cryptic. What does the spell do when it's complete? Is it complete, or does it still have a flaw (I doubt Starswirl was trying to become a princess)?

SO many unanswered questions, so much time until Season 4...

Funny thing about this, but there was a Starswirl in previous MLP generations. And *she* was a magic-using pony. I had this funny head-cannon thing going on where due to her being a young mare, she felt she had to pretend to be an old stallion to get respect as a magician. Therefore: Starswirl the *Bearded* was born.

• Brohoof 2

Funny thing about this, but there was a Starswirl in previous MLP generations. And *she* was a magic-using pony. I had this funny head-cannon thing going on where due to her being a young mare, she felt she had to pretend to be an old stallion to get respect as a magician. Therefore: Starswirl the *Bearded* was born.

It's very possible, we don't know much about Starswirl other than descriptions from other ponies. Though, it seems as if Luna (and possibly Celestia) knew the pony personally, as they know much about them, and Luna even comments that Twilight's Starswirl costume is historically accurate.

Even still, I wish we knew more about Starswirl's masterpiece...

It's very possible, we don't know much about Starswirl other than descriptions from other ponies. Though, it seems as if Luna (and possibly Celestia) knew the pony personally, as they know much about them, and Luna even comments that Twilight's Starswirl costume is historically accurate.

Even still, I wish we knew more about Starswirl's masterpiece...

That's the bit that amuses me the most, as Luna may have been alluding to the false beard on a mare as being 'historically accurate'. :)

Might as well finish off what I started, so lets start off with further analysis of why Twilight's status causes fear in some people but also the new possibilities this change can bring.

Great posts here in this thread, man. I don't know about others, but from the standpoint of this Twilicorn skeptic, you have gone on a much longer way towards reassuring us than about 99% of the other optimists on the subject. You articulated very well what our fears and concerns are, and rather than dismiss them, you acknowledged and understood them and showed ways in which those issues could be directly dealt with in the show.

I hope it all plays out as you have laid out here. If it does. I will be very satisfied.

Here's a little video containing excerpts from the extended Brony Documentary interviews (it's an official video, I didn't upload anything). If you frequent EQD, you'll most likely have seen this, but for those of you who haven't:

It would seem Princess Twilight isn't too far from Lauren's original vision of how the show would go, however she's made it clear that making Twilight an alicorn was never part of the plan (at least not this early on in the show). I guess this is just another reason why we should have more faith in Meghan McCarthy and the guys at Studio B, as they aren't trampling on Lauren's vision so much as they are moving it in a slightly different direction.

Season 4 can't come soon enough.

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but did anyone notice this:

Six white stars on her Cutie Mark. Not five. Something fishy is going on here...

I've been thinking about this.

I really have.

A group of six friends around the "Magic of Friendship". 

Twilight is the Princess of Friendship.

EDIT: I mean the big difference between Twilight and Starswirl is that Twilight understands friendship.

Canon wise, at least.

Edited by moonlightavenger

I truly hope Twilight doesn't replace Celestia.  It's just me, but I really feel like Twilight's character is degraded by being turned into an alicorn/princess, can't really put my finger on it for some reason.  Part of me still wants to see Twilight forsake her princessdom/alicorn powers in S4 where she turns into a Unicorn, but is granted the title of Princess with it showing you don't have to be an alicorn to be a princess, etc.... Even more so, I want to see Twilight take the place of Star Swirl the Bearded where she serves as an instructor at Celestia's school for gifted unicorns or as a power magical guardian of Equestria that serves Celestia and Luna.  It would also be good to say that Star Swirl is a distant ancestor of Twilight, and that's why she's quite proficient in magic.

After watching Lauren's interview, I started to wonder about some the interpretation by some fans of Celestia and Luna, and if those two are cursed with Immortality.  Twilight's role would be to relieve the two of their immortal powers as she takes their place, or just Celestia's place, allowing the two to lead normal lives.  I personally hate that idea outright, both the immortal thing and Twilight taking over Celestia's place.  The immortal thing is just placing curse upon curse like Final Fantasy X where the summoners are sent off to their death. 

Throwing this in spoilers as not to clutter this with a wall-of-text.  It's my idea/hope for a series finale.

As for a series finale, I would probably have it start off with a shadowy figure entering Zecora's cabin. The zebra uses her tact and whit to create illusions of herself, but is eventually captured. After this, the story opens and we see Twilight receiving the news with the mare enlisting the help of the others. We learn through a series of events that Chrysalis has returned, and she stole the alicorn amulet for the single purpose of enslaving the world; however, we see that she has captured Discord by using ancient spells in combination with the Alicorn amulet. The queen of the changelings then absorbs the power of Discord and combines it with her own to reshape the world as she sees fit. This power takes a huge toll on the elements of Harmony as the others it to shield themselves, and the elements turn back into stone.

At the end, a bit of a cliche, we find the elements that were worn around the others necks and Twilight's crown to be mere conduits/focusing points for the power inside of them. They use their power and free Discord's power, returning it to the creature, and the godlike entity turns Chrysalis into a block of swiss cheese for a bit of fun, changing the creature back to her normal self at the request of his friend Fluttershy. This is a final turning point for Twilight as she prepares to seal away Chrysalis, yet sees a caged source of light within the creature's heart. In a point of self-sacrifice, the pony gives up her alicornhood/princessdom which banishes the darkness around the queen of the changelings and returns her to normal, and turns Twilight into a "regular old unicorn." It's revealed at this point that Chrysalis is the lost sister of Celestia and Luna with Cadence being her daughter. The pony became distraught over the years as her love never returned and left her child with her sisters to guard against the events she had been foretold of by a pony seer.

(Different idea would be King Sombra being the father of Cadence and Chrysalis being his wife/lover, but the king cursed the princess and turned her into the queen of the changelings. As the nearly half-changed pony flees with her daughter, both of them cross the threshold of the Crystal empire just as Celestia and Luna use the elements of Harmony to banish Sombra. This creates a temporal disturbance where Cadence and her Mother are flung into the future about 50 to 100 years before the appearance of the Mane6. With her mind permanently changed, the new entity Queen Chrysalis abandons Cadence and thus the filly doesn't understand things. It's on a patrol of the north that a guard finds Cadence and brings her to Celestia who recognizes who she is and then safeguards the pony.)

The ending would be a reuniting of Mother + daughter with Twilight being ordained as a Princess once more with her being one of a select few who attain the title without the need of being an alicorn. (I'll catch flak for that part about Twilight sacrificing powers and such, but just my idea/interpretation of things. wink.png )

Hope we get something as epic if not more epic than A Canterlot Wedding for the series finale.

Right now, I would say my major concern is a sort of "tipping point" where the S3 finale felt like a series finale ending as many have stated, equating things to where it's like the end of The Matrix movie, and it could have been left alone.  In all honesty, Twilight's friends look like deadweight.  The newly crowned Princess Twilight can more than likely wield the Elements of Harmony on her own without the need of her friends as she's probably crowned the Princess Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Friendship and Harmony.  Not to mention Hasbro could introduce a new cast of Mane5 characters to "accompany" Twilight as she teaches them about friendship.

Another thing to mention is what the studious pony said in Magic Duel.  Her words are probably negated.  In the episode, Twilight said the age spell was on the highest level order of spell and she could never cast it.  With her being turned into an alicorn, there's a very good chance her words are now false, and she can cast any spell she wants with her "ascension."

-_-

Hate to keep venting like this, sounding like a broken record and all, but I just came to really like this show and its direction.  I guess my opinions at this point can truly be relegated to that of some obsessed fanboy who feels his idea for a movie ending would have been better, and the director was wrong. :blush:

Anyways just my 2 cents on things as I await S4. 

Edited by Genepool

I truly hope Twilight doesn't replace Celestia.  It's just me, but I really feel like Twilight's character is degraded by being turned into an alicorn/princess, can't really put my finger on it for some reason.  Part of me still wants to see Twilight forsake her princessdom/alicorn powers in S4 where she turns into a Unicorn, but is granted the title of Princess with it showing you don't have to be an alicorn to be a princess, etc.... Even more so, I want to see Twilight take the place of Star Swirl the Bearded where she serves as an instructor at Celestia's school for gifted unicorns or as a power magical guardian of Equestria that serves Celestia and Luna.  It would also be good to say that Star Swirl is a distant ancestor of Twilight, and that's why she's quite proficient in magic.

After watching Lauren's interview, I started to wonder about some the interpretation by some fans of Celestia and Luna, and if those two are cursed with Immortality.  Twilight's role would be to relieve the two of their immortal powers as she takes their place, or just Celestia's place, allowing the two to lead normal lives.  I personally hate that idea outright, both the immortal thing and Twilight taking over Celestia's place.  The immortal thing is just placing curse upon curse like Final Fantasy X where the summoners are sent off to their death. 

I really don't like the notion of Celestia and Luna (for example) stepping down and saddling Cadance and Twilight with ruling Equestria so that they can rest. It makes sense in our world, but in Equestria, with what we've seen, it'd feel like Celestia is thinking "I'm done with this crap. Here Twilight. Your problem now. Your turn to watch your friends die and suffer annoying nobles. C'mon Luna, reservations are already done."

I like Celestia as a pony who perhaps took this responsibility of being immortal, either by choice or not (along with Luna), so that others can live their lives "normally".

However, if the both of them are not immortal and perhaps are dying, then I just don't like. I'll stick with the fanfics and leave the show because they'd be taking my favorite character from me and breaking the Mane Six as they are: normal ponies who happen to be heroes because of their friendship.

• Brohoof 1

The Happiest Ending...

post-2150-0-91876000-1361315779.jpg

Finally, I got to watch Magical Mystery Cure, and doing so only reinforced my suspicion that it was intended to be the final episode of the series.

Given the short third season and auspicious math involved (see the Disney version here), there had already been quite a lot of speculation about the show's demise. Seeing now how rushed that 65th episode was, I'm reasonably convinced the showrunners believed it to be the series finale when they made it -- though I most certainly could be wrong about that.

It would, however, explain the record-setting number of songs (a parting gift for Daniel Ingram and the character singers who wouldn't get paid otherwise), need to cram into one episode what clearly should have taken at least two or even three, and the introduction of such a major change to the show at the end of a season rather than at the beginning of a new one. Some of the comments I've seen from some of the crew members last year, notably the writers, also seemed to hint at the end of the show's run, though I admittedly may be reading more into them than I should, and I won't quote them here.

post-2150-0-08673100-1361316129.jpg

Considering all the evidence, however, I think it's very likely Magical Mystery Cure was intended to be a goodbye episode, in which Twilight finally graduates from her studies and achieves the goal Celestia had secretly planned for her all along. And even as hurried and mashed together as it is, Magical Mystery Cure is truly a magnificent episode. Its frantic, lyrical pace highlights the sense of urgency and emotion the showrunners must have felt when they produced it.

Essentially, the episode wrapped up some loose ends in the overall series story arc in preparation for an endless afterlife of reruns. Poignantly, in closing what well may have been the final show, Princess Twilight assures us "everything is going to be just fine!"

post-2150-0-87521800-1361315570.jpg

I will admit shedding a few tears when I realized that this was the cast and crew's way of telling us goodbye, the last words they wanted us to hear from them.

...Is A New Beginning

Thankfully, those are not going to be the last words Twilight Sparkle ever speaks to us, because we now know Season Four is not only a "go", but it's a full 26 episodes long. It looks like our little ponies survived the 65-Episode Mark Of Doom after all.

So for all my fellow fans who are understandably concerned about Twilight's new title and feathery appendages, I would just like to point out that for all the problems they may bring to the show, things could have been much, much worse. And for a while, they were.

Indeed, I'm pretty sure we just witnessed the end of Friendship is Magic.

post-2150-0-94851800-1361315619.jpg

Fortunately for us, the happiest ending is a new beginning. :)

• Brohoof 2

Daniel Ingram

‏@dannyimusic

For those planning on

leaving the fandom after Season 3... I've seen into the future, and you

do NOT want to miss out on what's in store.

Why the Hell should I believe him? Judging by the way he's saying it, it's as if he's implying that Princess Twilight will be permanent, even though he and the rest of the people who is working on the show are only going to get angry emails and death-threats galore, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn.

Have they ever read the Stephen King book, Misery, which has a woman kidnap and threaten to kill her favorite author if he doesn't resurrect her favorite character? Princess Twilight will be Misery all over again, with some added elements of Sonic the Hedgehog's awful games, Optimus Prime's death, Hal Jordan's transformation into the villain, Parallax, and Mass Effect 3's awful ending combined.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Why the Hell should I believe him? Judging by the way he's saying it, it's as if he's implying that Princess Twilight will be permanent, even though he and the rest of the people who is working on the show are only going to get angry emails and death-threats galore, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn.Have they ever read the Stephen King book, Misery, which has a woman kidnap and threaten to kill her favorite author if he doesn't resurrect her favorite character? Princess Twilight will be Misery all over again, with some added elements of Sonic the Hedgehog's awful games, Optimus Prime's death, Hal Jordan's transformation into the villain, Parallax, and Mass Effect 3's awful ending combined.

First of all Your the only one making such a big deal out of this right now. The rest with or againts are just waiting for season four. Also no one beside you sended a letter to hasbro. Did you not seen that poll wich only you voted yes

Hello dearies, I hope this thread did not end. So, on account of all of this, and all of the things that I have heard. I will list them now: Rainbow Dash was a part of the building of their meeting, cutie marks, and all that. Twilight built most of the other "parts" herself. This all leads to the possible Twilacorn. And, you know when Princess Celestia said that there was a test? This may be that. Be royalty, or be with her friends. This may be one exciting season. I hope I helped a little... ;)

I heard that the season 4 openers are going continue from the finale. And since each opener is about them fighting a villian, perhaps somthing is going to happen....

• Brohoof 1

Why the Hell should I believe him? Judging by the way he's saying it, it's as if he's implying that Princess Twilight will be permanent, even though he and the rest of the people who is working on the show are only going to get angry emails and death-threats galore, telling them to change Twilight back into a unicorn.

Have they ever read the Stephen King book, Misery, which has a woman kidnap and threaten to kill her favorite author if he doesn't resurrect her favorite character? Princess Twilight will be Misery all over again, with some added elements of Sonic the Hedgehog's awful games, Optimus Prime's death, Hal Jordan's transformation into the villain, Parallax, and Mass Effect 3's awful ending combined.

Don't forget the terribad ending of Assassin's Creed 3 :umad:

Hello dearies, I hope this thread did not end. So, on account of all of this, and all of the things that I have heard. I will list them now: Rainbow Dash was a part of the building of their meeting, cutie marks, and all that. Twilight built most of the other "parts" herself. This all leads to the possible Twilacorn. And, you know when Princess Celestia said that there was a test? This may be that. Be royalty, or be with her friends. This may be one exciting season. I hope I helped a little... ;)

Perhaps. This might be her actual, biggest test yet, but you should also consider Celestia herself said she and all her friends are as much students of Twilight as Twilight is Celestia's student. It's a reciprocal relationship now rather than a one-sided teacher-student relationship Celestia and Twilight had when the latter was still a unicorn.

it could be possible that she has wings, but develops an inability to use them.

i know that she was flying during the last 5 seconds of the episode, but something might happen where she is still an alicorn but can't fly or fly well