Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Princess Celestia predict the future?

Wingnut

Well, she has a pretty good track record. To date, Princess Celestia...

...has gotten the royal family involved in Twilight Sparkle's life early on.

...was conveniently available when Twilight Sparkle's powers went haywire at the Canterlot Unicorn school.

...knew Nightmare Moon would escape and try to take over Equestria.

...sent Twilight Sparkle to Ponyville because she knew she'd find her Element of Harmony matching ponies there.

...knew Twilight and her new friends would successfully use the Elements to defeat Nightmare Moon.

...predicted the reappearance of the Crystal Kingdom.

...knew that her niece Cadance was destined to rule the Crystal Kingdom.

...told Twilight with absolute certainty that she would succeed in her quest to recover the crystal heart.

...already knows Twilight's true destiny.

About the only thing that seems to have gone unforeseen by Celestia was Chrysalis disguising herself as Cadance and nearly conquering Canterlot. Most of her successful prognostications have involved Twilight Sparkle. But Celestia also knew the Crystal Empire would be reappearing around this time. I wonder...did Celestia time warp the entire Crystal Empire into the future because that's when Cadance would be alive and ready to rule?

If Princess Celestia can't see the future, she must have some means of knowing all this stuff. Other ideas and theories are welcome.

• Brohoof 7

There is always the theory that she could of consulted a pshychic. Not that crazy, considering how superstitious royal families used to be in almost every historical account. Or she could of traveled though time...

Posted Image

It's all prophesy probably. Like she probably knew everything from what was written in a book. (read not my destiny if your not aware of this theory) Like it's foretold a unicorn will be the next ruler of equestria. It was prophisized (sorry for spelling) and now it's coming true.

• Brohoof 2

Well techniclly speaking there is time spells(Ya know there in the starswirl the bearded wing :P.) But I don't really think she even used that or is physic.

I think that the fact that twilights family was involved with the royal family early on is just coincidence, and the fact his brother is captain of the royal guard(Or ends up being).

The time when twilight went haywire, she was proably just around the kingdom. And considering its her school of magic I don't find it weird she was there.

The return of nightmare moon probably wasn't something that she didn't ever bother researching, plus twilight told her.

I think that she just knew from twilights ability that she would be able to use the elements, maybe she had already done research on the other 5 aswell.

Again I think her confidence in them defeating nightmare moon was just her confidence in twilight's abilitys.(Plus she couldn't do it herself)

I don't really remember her predicting the reappearnce of the crystal empire really, she actually seemed quite shocked at hearing it. Maybe she had atleast known it was predicted to appear around that time.

Again I don't remember her knowing Cadence would rule the crystal empire, but maybe she had already know because of her bloodline.

Knowing twilight would succeed is again just confidence in twilight's ability.

And I'm sure she knows her destiny because honestly what great mentor doesn't know their pupils destiny :P.

Again we could always just say magic, because really that could easily be the answer with time spells. But I still don't think she even used that anyways.

Just my theory.

Celestia doesn't appear to be capable of predicting the future in the supernatural sense of the term. Unless she has visions or some kind of scrying device, I don't have the impression Celestia can see the future magically. She is mostly crazy prepared, especially in the first two season premieres. Celestia is the master of the Batman Gambit; that kind of planning generally makes the villains look foolish and the heroes extremely brilliant. If Celestia could otherwise tell what would happen next, she would not have been blindsided by Queen Chrysalis. In other words, Princess Celestia can be taken by surprise.

It probably helps to be over 1,000 years old, too. Her experience, perception, and intelligence give her a dramatic edge over most everyone else.

• Brohoof 5

One possibility is that she's simply been around enough to know talent when she sees it and knows about how long it will take for some events to unfold. Even if that doesn't account for everything I'm sure it's a significant factor.

I also think she's guided the course of many events, both in Twilight's life and in Equestria as a nation. Lots of things that have happened did so in the way she intended as a result of her own actions and knowing how to manipulate others into doing what she needed them to do. Her experience would undoubtedly help with that.

I think it is more of prophecy type stuff. Like how Twilight predicted Nightmare moon's 2nd coming... Celestia just kinda ignored any signs. So I think it's truly in studies and myths that they know the future. Maybe the occasional dream or something.

Nah, I don't think so. Celestia is over 1000 years old so she must have alot of experience which she uses to figure out things.

But I don't think she can see the future. I mean she didn't know that fake-Cadance was a changeling. ..And alot of other things.

Maybe she just "sees" some things in the future.. idk.

Thanks for all the replies. But I was still taken aback by how emphatic Celestia was that Twilight could find the crystal heart. This was no mere I believe in you or I'm confident in you. She just came out and said point blank, you will succeed. Not that that means Celestia can see the future. Just that, wow, she really is convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Twilight is the chosen one. And every successful mission Twilight completes further reinforces that belief.

Considering her age, by experience she probly knows how to recognize things that may have to potential to become great. Which is how her taking in Twilight to be her student was basically based on.

And if I recall, Celestia wasn't 100% sure about the NMM thing, and bringing Luna back. Just that there might be a chance and that Twilight fit the bill for that chance.

Cadence most likely comes from a lineage that was once linked to the Crystal Empire, she's most likely part of decendants that would've cualified to rule just like she does now had the Crystal Empire appeared during their lifetimes.

Celestia isn't a phsyqic, she's just taken notice of things that can have possible great outcomes and with some, has thought up stuff along the way that can help compliment them in getting better.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think that Celestia can actually see into the future. However, I do think that her wisdom is so great that she is able to calculate the outcomes of situations and events, especially those that she does a great deal of planning for, with a great deal of accuracy, and as such, can be said to have great foresight.

An interesting suggestion and it can definitely hold water due to Her vast arcane power. Though within the context of the show, I don't believe it's precognition in the strictest sense but rather experience.

What I mean is that little surprises Her anymore. We know from canon that she doesn't age. (We know both Luna and her are a thousand years old by their own admission. And Discord was around before that.) So I think Princess Celestia has simply been around long enough to make accurate predictions as long as She is kept in the loop. Which explains why she knew nothing about Chrysallis, the Changeling Queen went out of her way to keep her true nature hidden. Whereas anything involving Her subjects is usually correct in the end.

For another instance of this, see Groundhog Day where Bill Murray's character, Phil, has relived the same day so many times that he knows everyone's personality and how they will react. He shares this revelation in an admittedly gut-wrenching scene, proclaiming himself a god but not with the attitude usually associated with that declaration. (Though he makes it a point to say he's not "THE God.") You know what? Screw it! Here's the scene:

You see? Though I think our fair Princess is in a much better situation than the would-be Holiday Mascot. It's true that each and every generation and each individual within that generation is unique, but observing and ruling through that large amount of time would certainly give anyone a profound, and indeed prophetic view of the human condition. ("Human" being a stand in for "sapient" in this case.)

I wonder if anything more is going to be said about how Celestia was anticipating the return of the Crystal Empire. She obviously gave the royal guard instructions to keep an eye on Equestria's northern border and to immediately report any anomolies. Once "it" appeared, she acted quickly and dispatched several ponies with specific assignments to stop King Sombra.

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if anything more is going to be said about how Celestia was anticipating the return of the Crystal Empire. She obviously gave the royal guard instructions to keep an eye on Equestria's northern border and to immediately report any anomolies. Once "it" appeared, she acted quickly and dispatched several ponies with specific assignments to stop King Sombra.

Works too. She probably anticipated that as Her imprisonment of Luna was temporary, so too would King Sombra's curse. Not that the prick wanted to end his people's torment, rather he just thought he could take back his throne during the interim. (It's clear that he didn't anticipate Princess Cadence and Shining Armor.) Celestia certainly knew WHO to send when the Crystal Empire came back.

• Brohoof 1

She could do:

*Spoilers if you haven't seen season 3 yet*

In the season 3 premier she tells Twilight that she should be the one to take the crystal heart to Cadence alone, however, for Twilight to learn the lesson of self sacrifice, Twilight had to give that up, knowing that she would have 'failed' her test.

Edited by Negative
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

It is possible Celestia has some foreknowledge of some events.  Look at the pilot.  Twilight was sent to Ponyville & met 5 ponies that just happened to have the properties needed to become the Elements of Harmony.  The small town library just happened to have the rare book describing the nearby magic items needed.  Kind of stretching the word "coincidence", I'd say.

On the other hand look at Return of Harmony, Canterlot Wedding, Flurryheart's birth, & being captured by Chrysalis.  Whatever Celestia has is clearly not infallible.

I think if Celestia has the powers of divination, far-sight, or anything of the likeness, then she needs to be put on trial for gross contempt. But hey, maybe she did what she did for the best outcomes

I think if Celestia has the powers of divination, far-sight, or anything of the likeness, then she needs to be put on trial for gross contempt. But hey, maybe she did what she did for the best outcomes

Not to tute my own horn but I suggested something similar when I posted originally.

An interesting suggestion and it can definitely hold water due to Her vast arcane power. Though within the context of the show, I don't believe it's precognition in the strictest sense but rather experience.

What I mean is that little surprises Her anymore. We know from canon that she doesn't age. (We know both Luna and her are a thousand years old by their own admission. And Discord was around before that.) So I think Princess Celestia has simply been around long enough to make accurate predictions as long as She is kept in the loop. Which explains why she knew nothing about Chrysallis, the Changeling Queen went out of her way to keep her true nature hidden. Whereas anything involving Her subjects is usually correct in the end.

For another instance of this, see Groundhog Day where Bill Murray's character, Phil, has relived the same day so many times that he knows everyone's personality and how they will react. He shares this revelation in an admittedly gut-wrenching scene, proclaiming himself a god but not with the attitude usually associated with that declaration. (Though he makes it a point to say he's not "THE God.") You know what? Screw it! Here's the scene:

You see? Though I think our fair Princess is in a much better situation than the would-be Holiday Mascot. It's true that each and every generation and each individual within that generation is unique, but observing and ruling through that large amount of time would certainly give anyone a profound, and indeed prophetic view of the human condition. ("Human" being a stand in for "sapient" in this case.)

• Brohoof 1

No.

She had a vision about Tirek once, but so did Luna knew about it either. Nothing special for princesy Buttmonkey. Probably Decadence had a similar dream or vision as well.