Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Save Derpy Hooves  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy Hooves: Hate or like?

• Against
    • Destroy the Misunderstanding

I almost feel like crying right now. The fact that things like THIS are being so controversial is absolutely horrific.

Especially that if this keeps going on, or if other useless controversies spring up like these with Hasbro ACUALLY responding to those butthurt people. This may be the end of us. :(

I almost feel like crying right now. The fact that things like THIS are being so controversial is absolutely horrific.

Especially that if this keeps going on, or if other useless controversies spring up like these with Hasbro ACUALLY responding to those butthurt people. This may be the end of us. :(

Now don't despair, for Hasbro will listen to the fandom at large. So therefore if enough of us speak out against this Derpy will remain herself.

I think I understand this now, as Moosefullaeggs said:

Eeeyup, but the show did nothing about it; because they're senseable people.

The reason things are happening is because Hasbro listen to it's fandom, therefore when people complain they will be louder.

In my opinion, I don't see how mentally challenged people could be offended by Derpy or her name. The word retard means to slow, or slow, not stupid. ANYONE can derp, not only people with mental disabilities.

I showed the Derpy scene to a friend of mine in school who has a mental disability, and told her about Derpy's name. She didn't find it offensive at all, even after I told her about the controversy and what "derp" really means. In fact, she loved it and wanted to start watching the show.

In my opinion, I don't see how mentally challenged people could be offended by Derpy or her name. The word retard means to slow, or slow, not stupid. ANYONE can derp, not only people with mental disabilities.

True, but it's meaning has been bastardised to mean stupid and mentally disabled. I really wish such things would stop happening to words.

I showed the Derpy scene to a friend of mine in school who has a mental disability, and told her about Derpy's name. She didn't find it offensive at all, even after I told her about the controversy and what "derp" really means. In fact, she loved it and wanted to start watching the show.

Here's the ultimate proof that Derpy isn't offensive at all. Thanks for bringing that up. :D

It's really quite sad that the people who such stereotypes "offend" are the ones who enjoy them the most.

The fact that this is controversial is just blasphemous. Derpy wouldn't even exist if the fans hadn't noticed that animation error. So then Studio B decides to treat the fans and give Derpy- A FAN MADE CHARACTER- a speaking role AND THE FAN GIVEN NAME, and people bitch about it.

Think about it. Studio B didn't have to do that. THEY CHOSE TO. They chose to cater to their loyal fans, giving a background pony a speaking role and, again, the fan given name. Derpy IS OUR CREATION. The people complaining about her aren't loyal fans, by the sounds of it.

Ugh, why does being clumsy and having silly looking eyes ALWAYS end up being seen as making fun of the mentally handicapped?!

Derpy is probably one of the most loved characters now, and they're deciding to take her away (or at least change her name and not give her anymore speaking roles) just because ONE OR TWO people have a stick up their butt, and shout "OFFENSIVE" at every little thing they see.

Even if Derpy WAS handicapped, the show teaches us that everypony deserves to be treated equally, and that everypony is special and has a gift.

This makes me so angry I could scream!

"Ahhhh"

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope I am not beating a dead pony so to speak by bringing back this thread but... if Derpy is safe and Hasbro has seen the light, WHY is The Last Roundup still not back on iTunes?? This really bothers me.

Frankly, I think anyone against Derpy is "ableist" because they are essentially arguing that mentally handicapped people should never be portrayed in shows (not that I think Derpy is handicapped anyway, but let's go with it for argument's sake). When you are "different" in some way, you LIKE seeing a character on a show that is like you because you feel acknowledged - particularly if that character is LOVED. I bet people against Derpy are not the least bit challenged themselves but rather like to think they know what's best for challenged people and so get on their moral high pony so that they can feed their self-righteousness and sense of superiority. Ugh!

• Brohoof 1

Hope I am not beating a dead pony so to speak by bringing back this thread but... if Derpy is safe and Hasbro has seen the light, WHY is The Last Roundup still not back on iTunes?? This really bothers me.

Frankly, I think anyone against Derpy is "ableist" because they are essentially arguing that mentally handicapped people should never be portrayed in shows (not that I think Derpy is handicapped anyway, but let's go with it for argument's sake). When you are "different" in some way, you LIKE seeing a character on a show that is like you because you feel acknowledged - particularly if that character is LOVED. I bet people against Derpy are not the least bit challenged themselves but rather like to think they know what's best for challenged people and so get on their moral high pony so that they can feed their self-righteousness and sense of superiority. Ugh!

That one is a pretty good argument, actually, better than others I've heard here.

I though that this thing was over and Hasbro had said that everything was okay and the removal of the episode was an accident. I didn't know it wasnt back

no there is a condition in real life when your eyes are permanently mis-calibrated. I knew someone who had it.

Also, it happens when you get punched in the face, which is usually traumatic.

I still think despite this it should be allowed to exist on the show.

Edited by glitterlicious

no there is a condition in real life when your eyes are permanently mis-calibrated. I knew someone who had it.

Also, it happens when you get punched in the face, which is usually traumatic.

I still think despite this it should be allowed to exist on the show.

Well, if you want to get technical, Derpy might have a few different conditions. Given that she is often seen with a hypertropia/esotropia combination, one might argue she has thyroid eye disease. As an adult, that would be the common reason to have that sort of strabismus. Another possibility would be congenital esotropia - this is a large angle deviation that oftentimes comes with DVDs (dissociated vertical deviations) where an eye will just drift up on occasion. Since Derpy has no signs of proptosis and the deviation seems to vary, I am more inclined to go with DVDs. Then again, the variability may also point to myasthenia gravis. It would be most informative to know Derpy's best corrected visual acuity and to know if Derpy suffers from any diplopia (double vision) during the deviation. As for trauma, this could happen with an orbital floor fracture if there is muscle entrapment but I doubt this would be Derpy's case - such a large deviation from trauma would likely show signs of enophthalmos or sinking in of the eye.

Of course, without being able to directly examine Derpy myself, this is all conjecture but anypony with such a deviation should definitely be seen by an eye doctor.

But why, I can't understand why!

She was just fine...

Who thinks the cutest pony ever is offensive,

Her voice is now the most generic girl voice ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2CRjPO73Dg&feature=player_embedded

They even un-derped her EYES!!!!

Seriously Hasbro, WTF

pardon my rage, I just don't understand I guess... :(

EDIT:it has come to my attention this has been mentioned in the "derpy Offensiveness" Thread

Voice and animation aside, I must say that the principle of changing the episode irks me.

It's such a shame to see that complaints have compelled Hasbro to change parts of the show, just to satisfy those petty-minded few who go out of their way to misinterpret aspects of MLP and label them as offensive. This video goes to show that the Brony community has a substantial influence over the series, which of course, is a wonderful thing. But when it comes to the point where Hasbro has to change the show just to satisfy our demographic? Disappointing to say the least.

Those who attempt to stigmatise and protest against MLP need to be reminded that this is not a show for Bronies, but one for children. Some people truly need to wake up be thankful, rather than aiming to find fault at Hasbro's expense.

• Brohoof 9

This isn't Hasbro's fault. In fact, Hasbro had nothing to do with it. Tabitha St. Germain, the voice of Derpy, has stated,

"I didn't know Derpy was female. (No one said 'she'. I never saw a drawing.) I started this character with a neigbor's son in mind. Kid grew a foot in a year, and was constantly sleeping and clutzy, and he spoke at the speed of a tree. Far from mocking him, I found it very dear."

Also, about the eyes. Derpy doesn't always have derped eyes.

Oh wait, I didn't watch the video first. (derp :P )

I don't understand this either. There was nothing wrong with her old voice.

Edited by Duchess Apple Bloom III