Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Treatment of haters, the elimination of love and tolerate

Flicker Sweet

I can't help but notice that people are posting more and more about how they interact with haters in their lives.  I notice also that these people are acting the same, if not WORSE, than the haters!  Being a former hater myself, I can say that haters aren't what you think.  They're just normal people that don't understand the fandom.  When you act like this towards them, you just make things worse, because now they're going to think of bronies, not as people that enjoy MLP, but as assholes that hate everyone besides ponies.  Now, when I first learned about bronies, the first thing I learned was Love and Tolerate.  Where is this today?  I don't see it at all.  Let's try and bring this back to the fandom.  Not by eliminating the haters, but by actually loving and tolerating them!  If someone is giving you crap about liking MLP, suggest that they try it out, then LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!  Be the better person, be mature, be a real brony!

• Brohoof 16

Personally, I don't care too much about haters. My general attitude is "Fuck 'em." because really, I'll probably never actually meet them. But if they wrong me I have no gripes hurting them. I don't want love and tolerate unconditionally. It's a bad slogan. It's corny and does not work in the real world. I'm more of an eye for and eye kind of guy. But not scratch for a scratch. 

Also, never suggest MLP to haters. That's what they call pushing. That's wrong, but that's what they think and if you really care about our reputation, then don't "push" it.

• Brohoof 2

I try to love and tolerate as best as I can. But when people start to call us faggots and things of that nature, my first instinct is to be somewhat pissed off.

Edited by Betez

I tell those that don't know about it about the show, but those that hate it can be left to hate it. If they want to fling insults, let them. This may be because of my rather non-confrontational attitude(border-line pacifistic.), but I don't bother haters, and will put up with pretty much anything. 

• Brohoof 2

I think there is a huge difference between someone that dosen't understand the fandom and a full blown hater, someone who dosen't understand may be a little shocked and confused at first maybe a little freaked out but they are not the ones accusing us of being homosexuals, overgrown man children or pedophiles. I didn't understand it at first either, and was very shocked and confused but after watching I understand.

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 3

I don't care about the haters.  I'll say this about the haters, they hate us  because we fit outside of their social norms, so they don't want to get to know us.  because  we simply  see things differently than they do.  And heck even within the brony community there are  bronies out there who don't see eye to eye with others.   I don't go actively hating on haters. Yes sure my first instinct is to be really pissed off when they start calling us 'gay and faggots'  but that passes. I would rather ignore a hater  than try to attract  a bee with honey. 

Edited by angels_gal

My general attitude is "Fuck 'em."
 see, this is what I'm talking about.  Who's really the hater here?  One side (the haters) doesn't understand the other, this side is legitimately imposing hatred on the other.  and it drives me insane!

I think that Brony's need to love and tolerate more I just feel dispointed when I see Brony's getting into flame wars with haters due to a comment. explain your reasoning for watching the show but then stop there don't get mad if they continue to insult u it just makes both sides look worse. If it's bothering u that much just ignore don't help feed the trolls the only time I don't believe in love and tolerate is when hating turns physical then all gloves are off.

• Brohoof 2

I think that Brony's need to love and tolerate more I just feel dispointed when I see Brony's getting into flame wars with haters due to a comment. explain your reasoning for watching the show but then stop there don't get mad if they continue to insult u it just makes both sides look worse. If it's bothering u that much just ignore don't help feed the trolls the only time I don't believe in love and tolerate is when hating turns physical then all gloves are off.

thank you!!!! Finally someone else who sees it my way! :o

as for the physical part, that's not hating anymore; that's assault, totally different since you can get arrested for that

What should you do when you meet a hater that obviously knows next to nothing about MLP:FiM? Do a 360 and moonwalk away from him. No need to waste your time.

ALMXe.gif

One side (the haters) doesn't understand the other, this side is legitimately imposing hatred on the other. and it drives me insane!

But what if the hater actually know a lot about the show and the community, and outright hates us because of it? Can we counter-hate him?

But what if the hater actually know a lot about the show and the community, and outright hates us because of it? Can we counter-hate him?
 there's no point.  They've gotten to the point where they actually know about the show, and the fandom.  They've given it a shot and they still don't like it.  Respect their opinion and let them be!  There's no point in "counter-hating" them! (whatever that means) Edited by Red
  • Brohoof 1

[quote name=Red' timestamp='1355198145' post='989058] They've given it a shot and they still don't like it.  Respect their opinion and let them be!  There's no point in "counter-hating" them! (whatever that means)

Exactly you can't force somebody to like something u like if they already have viewed the show and still don't like it at least u tried and even if they continue to bash the show ignore them show them that brony's truly follow a love and tolerate mindset. 

• Brohoof 1

Respect their opinion and let them be!

So, when this hater launched a propaganda and actually successful on his mission to smear the fandom's reputation, we should let him do whatever he wants?

Being a pacifist has its own limit, you know.

• Brohoof 3

So, when this hater launched a propaganda and actually successful on his mission to smear the fandom's reputation, we should let him do whatever he wants?

Being a pacifist has its own limit, you know.

love and TOLERATE

many things can be accomplished by simply refusing to fight a battle.  There's an ancient Chinese general named Sun Tsu, who's ideals are still applied to modern day warfare, he said, "Fight your enemy by placing your army on unassailable terrain."  He's saying fight in a way that your enemy can't.  This includes refusing to fight.

Love & Tolerance is a theme that is slowly being phased out,

I feel the main reason for this is because of the exponentially growing size of the community, where instead of if being a really small community of possibly really opened minded people (like in the vary beginning), I joined this fandom when this era was beginning to end, and frankly I am kinda glad I joined at the vary end of that point, because I am sure some "senior" bronies have felt the same way most of us feel, just by a factor of 10.

I believe love and tolerance needs to be fallowed to a certain degree, if some one enjoys something and it's not morally wrong, hell if I care what they do, and regarding the haters, I generally ignore them, mainly because the kind of haters I think of are usually uneducated, the kind of haters I am referring to are the ones who scream "omg bronies suck *derp*"....or something like that, those kind of haters I push to the side and simply ignore, as there is no reasoning with them, there mind set is to just poke fun and troll us, so don't try to counter them, leave em be.

Now generally, if some one gives a rash comment, or is just dumbfounded by the whole thing, I simply say "Have you seen the show for your self? If not, check an episode or two out" and I leave it at that, and because of this I have gotten about 10 people I know in real life to like the show. It's about not putting pressure on them and saying "OMG this show is like the best thing ever, like if you dont like it, your stupid"

Whilst that I really feel that this needs to be addressed to only a minor amount of bronies, that minor amount needs to know there is a middle area between "brony" and "hater", and if someone is trying to start crap because of you being a brony (on the internet) then just ignore it, because it's one argument that's not going to be worth it in anyway, shape, or form.

Also, before you say that it's more then a minor amount  I find, many, many bronies with the same opinion, honestly I don't think this bad part is a significant part of the community, but they can leave an unfortunate impact on non-broneies, not even haters.

So guys, promise me not to peruse a hater and try to figure out what's wrong with them, or try to start a flame war, just drop it move on with life, and enjoy the ponies, and keep the ponies to your self, it's okay to ponify your own things, but don't shove it in peoples faces by saying "hay, YOU SHOULD REALLY WATCH IT MAN" or just ponyfing things just to get attention, I ponified a lot of things, but that's just because I really like the show a lot, and I have done this with more then just ponies (*cough* ace attorney)

• Brohoof 3

"Fight your enemy by placing your army on unassailable terrain."

Not trying to be picky, but it would be more like standing still under the hails of arrows, hoping that at least one of our soldiers would survive until tomorrow.

We should understand that while there are a lot of haters that simply hates us because they don't know better, there exist a minority of haters that actually know about the fandom and its dark side. These haters can make it their personal crusade to spread this news about the dark side of the bronies to the public. Some names come to my mind, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone here know what I'm talking about, and he's quite successful in his mission. People start to see us as a group of deranged pedophile and whatever they call people with bestiality these days. Sitting and doing nothing to defend ourselves from these bad popularity will do nothing but giving us more harm.

We should know when to tolerate, and when to stand to reject the harmful accusations.

• Brohoof 2

The way I see it, the whole love and tolerate thing is sort of becoming an excuse to hide away from trolls, and is really just feeding the trolls. I generally don't care if you're a hater or not, because you're just a normal person, who just dislikes something. The way you act about it is what gives the impression if if you're either a respectful person, who doesn't like it, but still respects the people who do, or just a general asshole, who everyone hates, and should just ignore.

I honestly pay no mind to the haters.My general policy is to ignore them unless they pick a bone with me,and even then,it has to be more than mindless trolling to draw my attention.

Like Starshine said,there's a time to tolerate and a time to stand up for yourself.

• Brohoof 1

I can't help but notice that people are posting more and more about how they interact with haters in their lives.  I notice also that these people are acting the same, if not WORSE, than the haters!  Being a former hater myself, I can say that haters aren't what you think.  They're just normal people that don't understand the fandom.  When you act like this towards them, you just make things worse, because now they're going to think of bronies, not as people that enjoy MLP, but as assholes that hate everyone besides ponies.  Now, when I first learned about bronies, the first thing I learned was Love and Tolerate.  Where is this today?  I don't see it at all.  Let's try and bring this back to the fandom.  Not by eliminating the haters, but by actually loving and tolerating them!  If someone is giving you crap about liking MLP, suggest that they try it out, then LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!  Be the better person, be mature, be a real brony!

post-7662-0-02515100-1355232870.jpg

http://youtu.be/TAryFIuRxmQ

What a beautiful post Red. I agree 100%.

Lately I haven't been seeing bronies love and tolerate at all. Most of us just use it as a shield and say it...but they never do it.

Not trying to be picky, but it would be more like standing still under the hails of arrows, hoping that at least one of our soldiers would survive until tomorrow.

We should understand that while there are a lot of haters that simply hates us because they don't know better, there exist a minority of haters that actually know about the fandom and its dark side. These haters can make it their personal crusade to spread this news about the dark side of the bronies to the public. Some names come to my mind, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone here know what I'm talking about, and he's quite successful in his mission. People start to see us as a group of deranged pedophile and whatever they call people with bestiality these days. Sitting and doing nothing to defend ourselves from these bad popularity will do nothing but giving us more harm.

We should know when to tolerate, and when to stand to reject the harmful accusations.

no, it's more like not even showing up to the battle.  It's not worth the time and resources to fight them, so why bother?

Sun Tsu also says, "There is more honor in refusing to fight a pointless battle, than fighting it and winning."

by refusing to argue with them about the show/fandom, you are putting yourself on unassailable terrain.  They can't continue the arguement because you aren't participating.

I honestly pay no mind to the haters.My general policy is to ignore them unless they pick a bone with me,and even then,it has to be more than mindless trolling to draw my attention.

Like Starshine said,there's a time to tolerate and a time to stand up for yourself.

I agree 100%

but there's also a way to do it without making the whole fandom look bad!  I can't remember where this quote is from, but it reads, "The problem with an eye for an eye, is that everyone eventually ends up blind."

I guess im one of the only bronies who actually ignore haters. Unless a hater asks why do i like the show so much will i try to defend my self in a pleasant matter ,but otherwise i will always ignore them.

Ignorance is bliss after all. 

• Brohoof 1

My advice is that, if someone is hating you for liking a show for children, then they just aren't worth your time. Ignore them if they're just using words, defend yourself if they use violence against you. But whatever you do, do NOT show them kindness. If they want to treat you poorly for such a flimsy reason, then they don't deserve to be your friend. I'm not saying be mean to them, I'm just saying don't be nice to them if they won't be nice to you. Kindness is a two way street, if someone chooses to be a jerk to others for no good reason, then in my opinion, being friendly to them only sends them the message that they can keep acting like a dick and still get treated nicely. Just ignore them if they're making fun of you, then if and when they learn to be nice, you can treat them nicely.

Nothing wrong with trying to get them to change into better people, but giving them completely undeserved kindness is not the way, IMO. This advice is of course in reference to the haters who verbally or physically bully bronies, and those who hate bronies just for being bronies, not those who simply don't like the show.

As for love and tolerance, I've said it before and I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until it's no longer used as a brony catchphrase, love and tolerance has absolutely nothing to do with MLP:FIM in any way, shape, or form, and I'm tired of seeing it associated with the brony fandom. I don't know who came up with it, I don't know why, and I don't care, I'm just sick of it. MLP is about life lessons for young children, not about loving and tolerating. Hell, I don't even think a single moral in any episode of MLP so far could be summarized as being a message about love and tolerance. It has not the slightest relevence to mlp or it's fandom, so I have not the slightest comprehension as to why it's been associated with both. It has about as much relevence to MLP:FIM as it does Dexter. Not that love and tolerance isn't a good thing (depending on the context of the situation), but it has zero relation to MLP and it's fandom, so please, for the love of all that is holy, can we stop using it as our catchphrase already?

The real problem is that the concept of Love & Tolerance can only go so far.  While some haters can be reasoned with, many are beyond that.  Even if a brony follows the ideas behind the show, they have every right to defend themselves and the show against people whom are so lost in their hatred and archaic values that they are beyond reason.

A brony must know when showing kindness is appropriate and when it is not.  One can fight back against a hater, turn their own hatred, arrogance, ignorance, (and stupidity in some cases) against them while still being civil about it.

Being a good person does not mean that that you shouldn't take a stand and lay the smack down on a dumbass who can't see the world from another perspective and refuses to even try.  Take "Putting Your Hoof Down" for example, the message behind that episode was to know when you need to say "enough is enough" and stand up to something.  It's one thing to explain the love of this show to others.  It's another thing to take up arms and defend it.  Because there are people out there who will continue to hate it and attack it no matter what (Fox News anyone?).  Of course, people like that will eventually get what is coming to them so in the end they will always lose.     

"The problem with an eye for an eye, is that everyone eventually ends up blind."

I believe in an eye for an eye, but I also believe there are grey areas, since I don't have an extreme black and white view on the world (as in, I don't believe someone is bad simply because they did something bad, or good because they did something good, it's the reasons for their actions that matter to me.). I believe that if people act like jerks they should not get treated nicely, as they don't deserve it and it won't teach them anything other than to keep acting like jerks because they still get treated with kindness. Tolerate them, but don't love them.