Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are there not more male charcters in MLP?

almozayaf

the only one i can think of is big mac

ill not count spike (not a pony)

yes the shining armor and few others but no one that we can see from episode to episode and good one

most male characters dos not count

i know these show for girls but come on in any guys show there more girls then that

and do you think MLP Stallions spin of is good idea

If I had to take a wild guess... I'd say it's because the show isn't for men, but in fact for little girls. And they can't learn lessons about life if the main characters were male. Also mares look better, stallions have weird heads.

Edited by PinkiePai
  • Brohoof 7

Stallions aren't as sell able. They don't make good brushables, need a new base made for blind bags, and of course, aren't as "cute".

Just think that if you're a stallion, you have a 4 to 1 ratio.

:(

• Brohoof 3

Think of it as a good way. If you're a stallion, you'll probably get 4 mares per stallion :lol: .

Anyways, i think Firebolt and Pinkiepai awnsered your questions. No need for me here!

Well...um....i really don't know. The place where there are the most stallions is probably Canterlot. I suppose that it makes sense because this IS a show meant for a younger audience....or they just never put thought into it,

• Brohoof 1

While the current generation of MLP has shattered the notion of what is a "girls show" the franchise as a whole was originally intended to be just that a girls show intended to sell toy ponies. For some reason mares and fillies seem to be viewed as cuter than colts and stallions and therefore more sell able as toys though with the new brony fanbase I think it could open the door for a few more stallions and colts in the future.

I find it refreshing, and dare I say - feminist - to have a kids show where all the lead characters, and most of the cast, are female.

As mentioned the commercial target audience of this show is little girls. Little girls, mostly, want to play with female character toys. They can relate to them better.

Like a lot of shows that first originated in the 80's, they started as toys, NOT TV shows. The TV shows, along with the character bios and traits, were made to accompany the toys as a very successful marketing tactic. Mega licenses like G.I.JOE and Transformers were toys before staff were hired to make a show for them.

The point then is that what has the ultimate say in show development is toy sales. As the generations have gone by, more power has been given to the people who make the shows for the show's sake so-to-speak. As long as their writing doesn't negatively affect or conflict with the goal of selling merchandise, then they can do what they want.

(Tired of reading this post yet? ;) )

Well let's look at the mirror of this Hasbro franchise, G.I.JOE. The toyline with its accompanying show cast, is overwhelmingly male. There are a few female characters, such as Scarlet, Lady Jaye, Cover Girl, and the Baroness, yet that's pretty much it. So, I would say MLP:FIM has a decent amount of male characters currently for what the license is.

If you want a more creative answer, you can say may died or went missing after "The Great War."

I'd say it's because the show isn't for men, but in fact for little girls. And they can't learn lessons about life if the main characters were male.

Exactly, not that I approve of that. People, especially children need to learn to see each other as human beings instead of male and females. The average person is too closed-minded to relate to people of the opposite sex. I've seen it even amongst bronies, guys who have trouble relating to the female characters.

As for the feminist aspect, it's pretty dumb, and is just the other side of the same coin, "having too many male characters is sexist, so let's have too many female characters instead!". That's completely missing the root of the problem.

I wish there were more male characters in the show, not to pander to the male viewers, but because the target audience needs to learn to stop seeing males as the "them".

I'll shut up before I go on a gender rant, I have a lot I could whine about here.

• Brohoof 3

I think thats because hasbro dont want parents rioting ,remember what happened to derpy. I think hasbro is scared that some parents whose little girls watch to show might get scared or something when there are too many male characters.

Why shouldn't Spike count? Just because he's not a pony doesn't mean he isn't important. And while he is treated differently from the majority of the cast, most of that has to do with

A. His species

B. His relationship with Twilight

C. His age

And not about his gender. At the start, he did sort of feel like the token male, but by now he's just another one of the characters. I don't think there's anything wrong with a female dominated cast as long as it's not derogatory towards the boys. And with Spike, I think we can see that it isn't.

• Brohoof 1