Applejack and her "cider"

LittleSis

As a fairly innocent 16 year-old, I was unaware at the start of watching this show that "applejack" is actually the name for an alcoholic drink. It is concentrated and distilled cider. What do you think about that? A show that is for little girls has one of their main characters named after alcoholic *cider* 

On a slight side note: Remember the season 1 episode where Zecora is introduced? After the ponies walk through the blue flowers something strange happens to each of them. Remember that Spike was giving nicknames to everypony based on what happened to them (flutterguy, hairity etc)? The name he gave AJ was "Appleteeny" because she shrunk. This is in reference to an appletini or apple-martini (another alcoholic drink)

I think it's incredibly clever and I don't think it would have any harmful impact but I could be wrong...what does everypony think?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, an Applejack was a very strong alchohol beverage using freezing as a way to distill it. It was also called "Jersey Lightening" and was used to pay workers in the harsh winter months. Sadly its not made any longer. I think its great. Very clever.

I think Applejack was a creative name for a pastel pony, and Apple-teeny wall a clever play on her name. And both just happened to be an alcoholic beverage.

Nah, I don't see a problem with it. Not like when you Google "Applejack" anything but Applejack shows up...

Along the same lines my favorite place to buy alcohol is "Applejack's".  It's a giant liquor store.  A few people have created mixed drinks online for each of the mane six ponies too btw.  Oh, and I make apple cider and wine and have even told people it's appletastic...

I don't think it's an issue.  They could've just as easily gotten the name idea from Applejacks cereal.

Coincidence as she owns a HUGE apple orchid.  The appletini comment was a clever play on words.  They couldn't be directly referencing an alcoholic beverage.  

They named her Applejack because they wanted to name her Applejack. It's wasn't an alcoholic reference at all lol.

I really love most of MLP's references though.

I doubt Lauren Faust intentionally named her after an alcoholic beverage on a show that was mainly aimed for little girls, I doubt that any of them knew Applejack was a drink anyway.

Just like everyone else is saying, it's just a coincidence. Nothing else, nothing more.

It's just a coincidence. Doesn't really matter on the show or to the people who enjoy it. La la la, no big deal, dum de dum...

...I GOTTA FIND THOSE MIXED DRINKS!! :o   *rushes off*

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

Part of me thinks that it is just a coincidence but...The show is created by adults for a younger audience, They were probably thinking that if parents were watching it with their kids it would give them a laugh or something...And here we all are, Laughing about it  :lol:

220px-Apple-Jacks-Box-Small.jpg

Oh man, I'm gonna get so wasted off this cereal. It's a little rough goin' down the pipes, and it's kind of a choking hazard, but it will MESS YOU THE BUCK UP!

• Brohoof 5

Lauren didn't name Applejack, unfortunately. Applejack is the only character who is from the original My Little Pony franchise back in the 80's. As far as I can tell, the Applejack toy came out three years before the first animated show, as part of the second set of official MLP toys. (Official, because there was a 'My Pretty Pony' set of toys that predated the first set of My Little Pony. They look like prototypes for the G1 lines, so many collectors count them as part of G1.)  Hasbro didn't manage to retain the trademark names of the ponies in G1, except for Applejack.

Spike is also from that generation, but he showed up later in the animated series, not the toy line.

You know, now that I think of it, the name Applejack might not have been lost *because* it was also an alcoholic drink. When Hasbro abandoned the trademarks for G1 in 1992, and then came back in 1997 for G2 and discovered that the names were being trademark contested, Applejack was the only one left of the actual ponies that nobody else had claimed.

• Brohoof 3

What's been said aove largely overlaps my opinion.

Cider can also be prepared as a non-alcoholic beverage, which is harder to make than apple juice and has a stronger flavor. The show-makers gave characters funny faces on SSCS6K to indicate that they very much enjoyed the drink, not to suggest they were making them drunk.

What's been said aove largely overlaps my opinion.

Cider can also be prepared as a non-alcoholic beverage, which is harder to make than apple juice and has a stronger flavor. The show-makers gave characters funny faces on SSCS6K to indicate that they very much enjoyed the drink, not to suggest they were making them drunk.

Also, hard cider can not be made as quickly as they showed the Apple family making their product. The fermenting takes time.

You know, now that I think of it, the name Applejack might not have been lost *because* it was also an alcoholic drink. When Hasbro abandoned the trademarks for G1 in 1992, and then came back in 1997 for G2 and discovered that the names were being trademark contested, Applejack was the only one left of the actual ponies that nobody else had claimed.

I'm surprised Kellogg's doesn't have an issue with the name.  Even though a cartoon and a cereal are in vastly different businesses, we've seen copyright litigation over more disparate things than that. 

Also, hard cider can not be made as quickly as they showed the Apple family making their product. The fermenting takes time.

I agree, but if it's not alcoholic, why is it so addicting?  :P

Google applejack the results will be an alcoholic beverage and nothing but that, but scroll on over to the images button click it and your screen will explode with orange as our wonderful southern pony pops up at every corner of the screen.

Hasbro named the pony applejack, well … because she is an apple farmer, Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with applejack the beverage,  although they do have her cider as a reference to beer,  it does arouse suspicion, hasbro does get carried away with references sometimes.  :huh:

As far as "appleteeny" goes,  yes I'm sure thats a reference

Edited by Dashicorn

I'm surprised Kellogg's doesn't have an issue with the name.  Even though a cartoon and a cereal are in vastly different businesses, we've seen copyright litigation over more disparate things than that. 

I agree, but if it's not alcoholic, why is it so addicting?  :P

Easy. Refrigeration seems to be an unknown on Equestria. Cider is only available while in season. You can't store it and have at a later date. This would make everypony rush out to get it while the getting is good!