Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I believe Rainbow Dash is getting too much screentime.

Clarity

Please read the entire topic before posting, including the edits at the end. If you think my topic is pointless, state why instead of complaining. 

I want to make a legit topic about why I seriously think RD is getting too much screentime.

Unlike Applejack, Rainbow Dash got plenty of attention in both Season 1 and 2. Many people who defended AJ in the topic above gave a reasonable answer as to why they disagree. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Rainbow Dash.

After all, she had star moments in just about any episode she appeared in. 

Likewise Applejack, Rainbow Dash had two spotlight-heavy episodes in a row in Season 3. However, I see nobody, nobody whatsoever complain that RD had too much screentime. And yet...AJ? It's, frankly, ridiculous. I know that Rainbow Dash is very popular, and thus has a lot of fans, who have no problem, not at all, about her getting that much attention. After all, it's your favorite pony. No problem whatsoever.

Which is why I'm ready to turn the tides at this point forward. 

In the newest episode, she had the most lines of the mane six except Fluttershy (who's the star of the episode) and I cannot understand why Rarity's, RD's, and Twi's lines could be split evenly among all of the mane six, especially Pinkie and AJ (who had...one line). She got more dialogue than necessary in an episode that was not even hers.

Season three had two RD-heavy episodes, Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolts Academy. 

I'm interested to see all your thoughts on this, because I don't think saying "RD gets no attention in S1 and S2" is a legit excuse, unlike for Applejack. 

EDIT:

:L Some people seem to be way too offended over this.

All I'm asking is for people to either convince or agree. I say "I'm interested to hear your thoughts about this" for a reason. 

My post is something called an opinion. You can disagree. But some of you are overreacting, rather, instead of rationally stating the reasons why you don't think that Rainbow Dash is getting too much screentime. 

Also. Regarding the point that my topic is very "pointless" and "unnecessary"--I do not believe it is so because I am asking for your opinions. Blog entries are for my rants and opinions and for others to comment on them. This one is different because I look more toward what other people think than what they think of mine.

If my topic angers you so much, report it. I really don't care.

EDIT2: 

I do not tolerate abusive behavior towards me because of the fact that I have a different perspective from you. You are not the only one who has a report button. 

If I see more pointless and abusive posts, I will not be afraid to report them. Thank you and have a nice day.

Edited by ~Chaotic Clarity~
  • Brohoof 25

Rainbow Dash is kind of overrated. I mean, someone had to say it, I mean, don't get me wrong, she IS a great character, but the fanfare probably has something to do with all these episodes around her. Rainbow Dash gets much more screen time than she should, from an objective standpoint.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 14

Well, as someone who never complained about Applejack getting attention in the first place I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to respond to this. Applejack has been as prominent as her in every episode this season bar Sleepless in Ponyville, Wonderbolt Academy and this one. Applejack had more time in One Bad Apple, Apple Family Reunion and Spike at Your Service. The difference in focus from previous seasons is disappearing.

The only gripes I have with screentime this season are Spike getting more focus than Rarity, and Twilight stealing most of The Crystal Empire for herself.

• Brohoof 4

I agree.

I do not like Rainbow Dash she is my least favorite pony of the mane 6 (Third least favorite overall I think). And she always seems to get the most attention of the cast. Two back-to-back RD episodes this season, none for best mane 6 pony. 

In today's episode, AJ should have had way more lines. The whole reason Discord reformed, was partially due to her. Mostly Flutters, obviously  but she owns the place that was being flooded. She had more then one line, though...

I complain about Rainbow screen time all the time. It's just everyone hates me for it. Like I said, I really don't like her, due to her OP-ness. It irritates me. A lot.

AJ isn't my favorite pony, but she certainly does /not/ have too much screen time.

• Brohoof 5

Rainbow Dash is kind of overrated. I mean, someone had to say it, I mean, don't get me wrong, she IS a great character, but the fanfare probably has something to do with all these episodes around her.

Rainbow Dash can be seen as overrated I guess, but I think she is different to athletes then she is to non-athletes and I think that is the point of contention. The idea of the massive goal of grandeur, idolization of your superiors, dedication and work, the arrogance that comes with skill and confidence... It's so relatable, and it's why I love her so much.

Can never get enough, more Rainbow Dash episodes!

I really think, Rainbow Dash's well screentime. O_O, I have nothing to say about this. But, I do have to say the Mane 6 should have at least the equal amount of screentime in my opinion. Sure Rainbow Dash's character or persona is like well a tomboy but, the fans will always love her even though AJ needs more love too. I find that the screentime should be fair.

A "too much screentime" topic that makes sense?! Love it, way to go Clarity!

I've been saying this a lot lately, but I feel MLP focuses on RD too much plain and simple. Seems her (and Pinkie to an extent, mostly RD though) are the main characters they promote in-show and in the merchandise world. Really is not fair considering there are six main characters, they should have time and merch spread around equally. Doesn't have to be that they all have the same amount of lines or screentime in each episode, but through the seasons they need to be leveled out more. It also wouldn't be that hard to have a version of each merch thing for each of the mane 6 to make each ponies fanbase happy.

Something needs to be done though so that "Why no love for AJ" topics would quit popping up weekly. That should be reason enough for those who think there isn't a problem to take a step back, put the fangirl/boy joy for RD aside, and really take a look at things. Instead smoke screens are put up and the truth constantly just gets deflected or twisted.

I don't mind RD, she sure isn't bottom of my list, but we need much more AJ and Rarity both in-show and in the merch scene.

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 5

You know what?  I agree.  

To be quite honest, I haven't noticed Applejack getting too much dialogue.  In fact, I'd prefer her to have more than her usual, lack-luster amount.  And while Applejack lacked screen time last season, RD didn't.   So I guess you could say that I agree with you in that regard.  

However, RD's dialogue could have been passed around the mane six in this latest episode.   It seems that she gets all the attention.   

• Brohoof 3

Really?  but Rainbow Dash is Awesome, why would you think such a mean thing like that. the other day i saw one with Applejack is getting too much screen time, with that i agree. but with Rainbow dash its different.

with Rainbow dash there it means the show is more like going to be 20% cooler... 

Yes i went there...

Cider Barrel.

why would you think such a mean thing like that

Not sure if troll...

but whatever. :L

Oops, I sincerely apologize that my opinion got you in such a twist. Was I mean? Oh! How am I mean? I believe I was just being honest :D 

Furthermore, you did not point out how my opinion is wrong. :L Least legit reason... "Rainbow Dash is awesome so her screentime is deserved." I totally believe you. :D

• Brohoof 3

I really don't think that there is such a thing as too much screen time (at least for the main characters). The problem isn't that Rainbow Dash gets a lot of screen time. The fact that Rainbow gets attention can only benefit us. The problem is that certain characters, like AJ or possibly Rarity are largely ignored.

I cannot blame the writers, because the situation is largely based on the personalities of the characters themselves. AJ, for example, is thoughtful, honest, and humble so she speaks only when she has something to say. She is competitive, but even when she is in the heat of competition, she is still grounded and down to Earth.

Meanwhile, Rainbow is cocky, boisterous, loud, exciting, etc. She is just naturally more likely to speak or attract attention. In the case of Fluttershy, they managed to compensate for her shyness nicely to give her plenty of screen time, but it is more difficult with more nuanced characters like AJ who have different reasons for their behavior.

I think the writers are improving in regards to balancing the characters more. I also think it is pointless, for the most part, to argue about which character is getting too much, or too little screen time.

tl;dr No, she is not getting too much screen time.

• Brohoof 5

I really don't think that there is such a thing as too much screen time (at least for the main characters). The problem isn't that Rainbow Dash gets a lot of screen time. The fact that Rainbow gets attention can only benefit us. The problem is that certain characters, like AJ or possibly Rarity are largely ignored.   I cannot blame the writers, because the situation is largely based on the personalities of the characters themselves. AJ, for example, is thoughtful, honest, and humble so she speaks only when she has something to say. She is competitive, but even when she is in the heat of competition, she is still grounded and down to Earth.   Meanwhile, Rainbow is cocky, boisterous, loud, exciting, etc. She is just naturally more likely to speak or attract attention. In the case of Fluttershy, they managed to compensate for her shyness nicely to give her plenty of screen time, but it is more difficult with more nuanced characters like AJ who have different reasons for their behavior.   I think the writers are improving in regards to balancing the characters more. I also think it is pointless, for the most part, to argue about which character is getting too much, or too little screen time.   tl;dr No, she is not getting too much screen time.

Well, you make good points there. But I do disagree: Rainbow Dash, is, nonetheless, getting much screentime, or rather much more than the other main characters in the show. Had the writers been improving on balancing the screentime, I wouldn't be complaining about this.

It is unbalanced as Rainbow Dash IS getting much more than she should--it should be split evenly regardless of their personalities.  

• Brohoof 1

After watching this episode, I can honestly say that Rainbow Dash was beginning to piss me off. The amount of lines given to her in an episode not even based around her was unnecessarily high (as usual). Luckily it wasn't enough to overwhelm the episode like some say happened to Spike at your Service (for once). The reason Rainbow Dash is getting so much screen time is unapparent to me though.

Is it her fans? I don't think so. This goes back to common stereotypes that make absolutely no sense such as Applejack fans being rabid or perverted. Ridiculous. Now as much as I hate generalizing, Rainbow Dash fans I've noticed can sometimes be a little... biased. Well a lot biased. A Dash fan criticizing RD is a rare occurrence. From what I've seen it's: "Rainbow Dash is the star of MLD? ZOMG SADDEST FANFIC EVAH. BEST ON TEH INTERNETZ". What I'm trying to say is that RD fans don't know how to criticize RD herself. Well most I've seen anyway. Disclaimer: This is an opinion.

The fact that Rainbow Dash seems to have the largest fanbase of any pony makes it semi apparent why she gets so much screen time. However this is completely unfair. Saying that Rainbow Dash should be featured the most in episodes just because she's the most popular is ludicrous. That can be said for any pony who is loved. The Luna fanbase is HUGE yet she's barely ever seen in any episodes.

If it is indeed the fact that Rainbow Dash is getting so much screen time simply because she's popular, that's completely unfair and ridiculous. If that's the case than Luna should be getting featured every episode. Rainbow Dash fans need to slow down and learn that Dash has flaws and needs to be criticized sometimes. I know not all Dash fans are like that and sorry of that somehow offended you. Lastly, Rainbow Dash doesn't deserve all this screen time as opposed to other characters. The amount she's gotten already is absurd and she's basically overshadowing the other characters. Like how grass underneath a tree won't grow because the tree is blocking their sunlight.

Edited by Lightning Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 4

Well, you make good points there. But I do disagree: Rainbow Dash, is, nonetheless, getting much screentime, or rather much more than the other main characters in the show. Had the writers been improving on balancing the screentime, I wouldn't be complaining about this.

It is unbalanced as Rainbow Dash IS getting much more than she should--it should be split evenly regardless of their personalities.  

Going along with this, personalities shouldn't matter. No matter what the ponies personality is they could respond within their character to anything. The writers are just not wanting to go there and RD is the easy one to write witty responses for because of her cocky attitude. If the time is taken though and lines are thought up wisely, there is no reason AJ couldn't respond to a lot of things where they give the line to RD instead.

Edited by Puddlejumper

Well, first of all, was it really necessary to bash the thread which you sent a link to?

Secondly, no "I believe X character is getting to much screen time and I believe X character should get more screen time" is legitimate, because there is a bias. Applejack is your favorite character, so of course you would state that you want her to get more screen time. Rarity is my favorite pony, I want her to get more screen time, but that statement is biased.

I'm interested to see all your thoughts on this, because I don't think saying "RD gets no attention in S1 and S2" is a legit excuse, unlike for Applejack. 

No excuse is legitimate, which is why they're called excuses in the first place...

Anyways, I do apologize for such a negative reaction towards your topic, it's because I'm tired of seeing so many "I believe X character(s) are getting to much screen time, and I believe X character(s) should get more screen time." They irk me because there's nothing we can do about it, we can't tell the hub what to do with their characters, and these topics aren't that wealthy when it comes to discussion, so there's no reason in the first place for us to ramble about things that are out of our control. This is a thread which can give you an idea of what I see whenever I read a "X character is getting too much screen time" thread:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/46465-i-believe-braeburn-is-getting-too-much-screentime/#entry1098191

We must also remember, that in terms of the most recent episode, Rainbow Dash deserved more lines, as she was the most vexed by Discord, while the other ponies were teetering on the neutral side. Therefore, that makes her stand out a bit more in this episode.

Edited by Modphase
  • Brohoof 3

Well, first of all, was it really necessary to bash the thread which you sent a link to?

It's an example that I want to show I'm stating reasons that are more...well, reasonable, if you don't want to use the word "legit."

Secondly, no "I believe X character is getting to much screen time and I believe X character should get more screen time" is legitimate, because there is a bias. Applejack is your favorite character, so of course you would state that you want her to get more screen time. Rarity is my favorite pony, I want her to get more screen time, but that statement is biased.

There is always bias. I try to be reasonable, because I know that Applejack has in fact gotten some spotlight this season. In every single statement there is bias and perspective, but it could be very reasonable nonetheless.

No excuse is legitimate, which is why they're called excuses in the first place.

Well, all right. But if someone claimed that Rainbow Dash gets no attention in the previous two seasons, it's rather blasphemous, in my opinion.

Anyways, I do apologize for such a negative reaction towards your topic, it's because I'm tired of seeing so many "I believe X character(s) are getting to much screen time, and I believe X character(s) should get more screen time." They irk me because there's nothing we can do about it, we can't tell the hub what to do with their characters, and these topics aren't that wealthy when it comes to discussion, so there's no reason in the first place for us to ramble about things that are out of our control.

Of course there's nothing we can do about it.

But you know what? We can still discuss it nonetheless. There's a discussion about the speculation of Discord's future. Is it unnecessary because we have no control whatsoever over Discord's future? No. Is the debate about...well, anything really in Show Discussion and Sugarcube Corner--ALL unnecessary because we cannot do anything about how the show goes? Absolutely not. It's fun to debate and discuss and predict. This is a forum. We discuss topics and ideas in a forum, no matter whether or not we have any control over it.  

• Brohoof 3

The improvements are slow and subtle, but nonetheless present. At the very least, they are headed in the right direction. Perhaps, I a just biased though. Unfortunately they cannot pander to everyone all of the time, despite the differences in the characters' personalities. They are too busy just trying to write good stories for episodes, and that is the only thing they really need to do.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Twilight Sparkle gets far more attention than any of the others, not Rainbow Dash. Trust me, AJ is my favorite too, but you have to understand the position the writers are in. Really, I think these kinds of arguments are actually more based on general fan attitudes than canon anyway.  :huh:

Edited by MelancholicMemory

AJ is my fourth favourite pony of the mane 6, so I don't think I'm that biased. That being said, I think she has too little screen time, and I am not very biased saying that. I /am/ biased saying RD gets too much screen time, but that is also legit because multiple people can back me up on that.

We must also remember, that in terms of the most recent episode, Rainbow Dash deserved more lines, as she was the most vexed by Discord, while the other ponies were teetering on the neutral side. Therefore, that makes her stand out a bit more in this episode.

Actually, I think Twi was more vexed, or equally. After all, Twilight. She just dealt with it much calmer. Which RD is not capable of.

Rainbow Dash is kind of overrated. I mean, someone had to say it, I mean, don't get me wrong, she IS a great character, but the fanfare probably has something to do with all these episodes around her.

*This.

Also, I'm fairly certain that Twilight Sparkle gets far more attention than any of the others, not Rainbow Dash.  

I'm not going to say that Twilight's the main protagonist, but...Twilight's the main protagonist. ^_^

All jokes aside, Twilight does, in fact, get attention, but usually only in her own episodes (exception is Season 1). Not like Rainbow Dash stealing episodes like the Last Roundup and having half of the mane six's dialogue in the newest episode.

The improvements are slow and subtle, but nonetheless present. At the very least, they are headed in the right direction. Unfortunately they cannot pander yo everyone all of the time, despite the differences in the characters' personalities. They are too busy just trying to write good stories for episodes, and that is the only thing they really need to do.

Good stories should be shared between all of the characters.

Trust me, AJ is my favorite too, but you have to understand the position the writers are in. Really, I think these kinds of arguments are actually more based on general fan attitudes than canon anyway. 

:huh: And what makes you think that? Do you think the reason I made this topic is because I want to get back at people who complained about Applejack screentime? That would petty and stupid of me. I made this topic because I actually believe she got too much screentime. 

AMEN! Someone who finally agrees on this subject matter! Rainbow Dash  is popular I think because everyone claims she's BEST PONY, and she sells. I mean what little girl wouldn't want to play with a pony with rainbow hair? Shows are most likely going to cater to fans when it all comes down to it. I think RD has made some great episodes, and I don't hate her, but companies are all about what sells and not who your favorite pony is.

The only gripes I have with screentime this season are Spike getting more focus than Rarity, and Twilight stealing most of The Crystal Empire for herself.

Yeah, seriously, does Spike REALLY need another episode after already getting "Spike At Your Service"?  I mean, I get that it was basically Spike/AJ, but still, despite being one of the most prominent main characters, I just can't conscientiously consider Spike as being as deserving of an episode, let alone multiple episodes, more than any of the Mane 6.

As for RD, no, I really don't think she's gotten too much screen time this season at all.  I mean, yeah, I get that she's always been, due to her popularity, and very outgoing and loud-mouthed personality as well, one of the most prominent characters of the Mane 6 with some of the most screen time, but still, this is about as much screen time as I envisioned her fairly getting this season.  I mean, think about it this way Clarity, could Studio B really do a complete 180 and just completely ignore RD's character this season?  There is no handbook or guide that determines how much screen time a character in any movie or show should "fairly" receive, so Studio B could never have systematically determined "OK, Rainbow Dash should get ----- amount of screen time this season, because she got this much screen time the last two seasons".  Besides, when AJ's getting as much screen time as she has this season (something that I'm quite happy about myself, as you should know by now), why even bother complaining about this?

• Brohoof 3

But you know what? We can still discuss it nonetheless. There's a discussion about the speculation of Discord's future. Is it unnecessary because we have no control whatsoever over Discord's future? No. Is the debate about...well, anything really in Show Discussion and Sugarcube Corner--ALL unnecessary because we cannot do anything about how the show goes? Absolutely not. It's fun to debate and discuss and predict. This is a forum. We discuss topics and ideas in a forum, no matter whether or not we have any control over it.  

Ah, you see, but discussions about Discord's future, are different, as at the time, we didn't know what Discord's future was going to be. Obviously, the original poster of said thread would have wanted discussion about it, in that case, about people's speculations. Sure, the OP would have said his opinion, but as we didn't know anything about his future, OP would have no facts to back his opinion with. You're thread is different, as believe me, I've seen these kinds of threads before, and the only point of them is to get your opinion known, because face it, as human beings, we love people to know what we think. When you said; I'm interested to see all your thoughts on this, because I don't think saying "RD gets no attention in S1 and S2" is a legit excuse, unlike for Applejack. I can tell this is a scapegoat to make others believe it's a thread about discussion, when it's really only your thoughts on the matter. People can agree with you, sure, but in all honesty, this would do much better as a blog.

It's an example that I want to show I'm stating reasons that are more...well, reasonable, if you don't want to use the word "legit."

You could have just said that it was a more legitimate post without having to bash another thread.

There is always bias. I try to be reasonable, because I know that Applejack has in fact gotten some spotlight this season. In every single statement there is bias and perspective, but it could be very reasonable nonetheless.

Well, all right. But if someone claimed that Rainbow Dash gets no attention in the previous two seasons, it's rather blasphemous, in my opinion.

These are the two reasons which I agree with. Well played on your part.

Ok, let's not point hooves at certain ponies, and let's not call some of them overrated. Let's think about this more calmly everyone. 

First off, the characters aren't equals. That was disproven the moment Twilights element was a tiara instead of the necklace like the others. 

Though, let's keep that for another topic. 

The thing, Rainbow Dash is one of the only ponies who still needs to grow. 

Characters like Applejack already have learned enough and no longer really need to grow unfortunately. You could give her some stuff, but she would only grow a tiny bit. 

It's obvious that they are probably preparing Rainbow Dash for something big. 

• Brohoof 2

I can tell this is a scapegoat to make others believe it's a thread about discussion, when it's really only your thoughts on the matter.

Speculation about Discord = ~CD~'s own thoughts on the matter.

I want to discuss this with others. That's why I made a topic, because I want to hear other people's opinions and convince them to convince me. They can agree, or they can contradict. Making a topic about this is perfectly fine in my opinion. I believe ~CD~ would have locked this (he posted in the first page) if it wasn't suited as a topic and rather as a blog entry. 

You could have just said that it was a more legitimate post without having to bash another thread.

Well, I'll remove it then. It was sort of mean of me, but nonetheless it wasn't a very reasonable thread.