Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I believe Rainbow Dash is getting too much screentime.

Clarity

It's fine to debate, but some things just seem pointless to debate over, really. I mean, we're debating over something which isn't really backed up by any facts and is just personal opinion...

Well, of course it's personal opinion. There are many topics of which the OP had created their post using their own perspective, and none of them are really pointless to debate about. If it's pointless, there's no need to come here and post at all. Did you know there's a marvelous feature called "report"? Feel free to label my topic as pointless, I don't really care.  

• Brohoof 1

Well, of course it's personal opinion. There are many topics of which the OP had created their post using their own perspective, and none of them are really pointless to debate about. If it's pointless, there's no need to come here and post at all. Did you know there's a marvelous feature called "report"? Feel free to label my topic as pointless, I don't really care.  

You've got it all wrong D:

I'm not trying to make your topic look bad or anyone else look bad. If you got that impression, sorry about that, but, um, whatever you wanna do is fine.

I just found the thing we're debating about a little redundant.

I mean, I see where you're coming from in regards to each character getting a decent amount of screentime, but I personally haven't noticed it enough to bother me and yeah, I would like it to be evened out a little more. In the newest episode 80% of her lines are outbursts and threats to discord, and that's kinda how her character is, so it makes sense to me.

20 minutes isn't a lot of time to work with and if they spaced all the dialogue evenly for every character (besides the focal one) they'd have to work around their personalities, like if they have a joke in mind, and it works particularly well for a certain character then they'll use it, some thing with story progressing dialogue and whatnot. So from that perspective I can at least excuse them for not using character X because they need another character for joke/plot/dialogue Y.

I mean Applejack for example:

She doesn't get much dialogue because she isn't prone to outbursts or randomness (Pinkie, Rainbow and sometimes Rarity), doesn't often have possible and believable dialogue to advance the plot based on their knowledge and personality (Usually Twilight), doesn't have a significant enough personality flaw to provide a reasonable gag, and to your credit definitely doesn't get enough episodes (everyone else).

The problem is we have OCD/awkwardness, shyness and anxiety, brashness/arrogance, randomness, and excessive vanity. And Applejack is...Stubborn...Sometimes...Once or twice? It's hard for the writers to incorporate that into a gag, so all they have left is plot pushing dialogue...And because she has no episodes, that's hard to work with either. So in that respect her character isn't fleshed out enough.

I mean, Twilight before Lesson Zero? Same thing, now she's used for plenty of gags as well as plot dialogue because they pushed the nerdy/ocd thing...So what Applejack needs is an episode...not one where a minor flaw in her character, such as stubborness is thrown in again. Like they need something new, or something drastic for them to build off of, because currently they have a sometimes stubborn, always honest pony, that has no dialogue for reasons stated above.

I'm not saying every character that is getting less attention needs to go through immediate overall, or a drastic increase in their personality quirks, but maybe Applejack, just once, so they have more to work with.

...I just realized I went on an Applejack rant, rather than a Rainbow Dash rant, but I'm leaving it anyway.

Edited by Dark Fox
  • Brohoof 1

Before I get started, I'm going to admit I'm massively biased. She's my second-favourite.

But, she has that spot for a reason.  Dash is a *fantastic* character.  That outer shell of nonchalant brashness concealing a fear of failure bordering on the paranoid and an obsession with being loved, a selfish bent and focus on her own goals, and the nature of the goals themselves make her accessable, identifiable, and easy to brainstorm for.  Not only is she easy for the team to work with because her goals are so obvious and accessible, but for a character in a cartoon for little girls, she is massively, deeply flawed.  And that makes her fantastic to work with.

Anyway, that's the jist of my opinion.  I agree that she is getting a lot, but I wouldn't say too much, just because I keep wondering what aspect of her character they're going to prod with a needle next.

• Brohoof 3

Guys, guys, guys. I have a solution.

It's simple, we add more GAK commercials.

I do see the issues with lacking screen times for the important characters (ex: King Sombra, Rarity, etc.).

What the creators should do fit the characters that son't get enough screen time play more roles in the episodes, even if they are minor.

• Brohoof 1

I call bullshit on this one.

RD has had as much screentime, MAYBE EVEN LESS than AJ this season. Let's break it down.

AJ - Lots of lines in Crystal Empire, most prominent mane character in One Bad Apple, a part in Sleepless in Ponyville, that mailbox         scene in WB Academy, Apple Family Reunion and a HUGE part (bigger than even Spike had) in Spike At Your Service.

RD - Nothing special in CE (except for the joust), a short scene in TMPP, huge part in Sleepless in Ponyville (which was technically not her episode), WB Academy, and a single word (if I recall) in SAYS. Sure, she got a couple more lines in KCAFO, but whatever.

Twi got an enormous amount of screentime. The whole of Crystal Empire, most of TMPP, Magic Duel, and she's probably going to have a huge part in that upcoming Cadence episode.

Rarity was neglected this season like someone in Auschwitz or Jasenovac. She has no episodes scheduled for her.

If the finale has something to do with Rarity, kill me now.

But, that's just my $0.02.

@, This thread isn't complaining about a lack of screen time for Applejack, just an unnecessary abundance for Rainbow Dash. Taking today's episode and Spike at your Service as an example. Rainbow not only got a HUGE amount of dialogue in both of those episodes, they weren't even hers. Applejack on the other hand, unlike Rainbow Dash, got near zip good dialogue in seasons 1 and 2. She got what, 3 episodes out of 52? Her character building in those seasons was awful and frankly the reason she's getting this amount in season 3 is a form of redemption for what she lacked in seasons 1 and 2.

• Brohoof 3

People are getting worked up, because even if you say you are only interested in opinions, it looks like yet another "RD is so overrated! thread, and the number of those is way too high.

Let's face it, you can say you want AJ or Rarity to get more screentime without saying "RD has too much". But then again, I guess that was the point, so people getting worked up aren't really missing the target here.

Only thing I can really say to you: Stop counting words characters say and enjoy the show and characters you like. It works nicely, let me tell you.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 2

I call bullshit on this one.

Looks like here's another butthurt one :o It's very nice of you to call my opinion bullshit, very nice of you indeed. :)

People are getting worked up, because even if you say you are only interested in opinions, it looks like yet another "RD is so overrated! thread, and the number of those is way too high. Let's face it, you can say you want AJ or Rarity to get more screentime without saying "RD has too much".   Only thing I can really say to you: Stop counting words characters say and enjoy the show and characters you like. It works nicely, let me tell you.

This has little to nothing to do with Applejack or Rarity. You're making accusations that I think "RD is overrated" or whatever. Many of you are. And many of you are, as well, saying that I cannot discuss or debate about anything I want relating to ponies on these forums. Sorta fed up with it. For the last time, I have the right to say something known as an opinion--perhaps you have heard of it?

• Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash is overrated sometimes. But hey. Who doesnt like a Hot Chick that Likes what you like....Anyways Rainbow Dash Seems like Twilight Right Hand Mare in the Mane Six Seeing how her Sonic Boom Was Praised by someone as Old as Celestia. And it Help all of the other Manes get their Cutie Marks.

Also her dream is to get into the wonderbolts Wich means that she will be more famous Than the other manes exept for Twilight.

As I said she is The second most important Mane Six and should get More Screen time than The others exept for Twilight

This has little to nothing to do with Applejack or Rarity. You're making accusations that I think "RD is overrated" or whatever. Many of you are. And many of you are, as well, saying that I cannot discuss or debate about anything I want relating to ponies on these forums. Sorta fed up with it. For the last time, I have the right to say something known as an opinion--perhaps you have heard of it?

Many of me, huh, what does that mean?

You can, but considering the number of RD hate threads, and the way you deliver, it may look like you are just trying to be provocative as many people before, and with your words, people are getting sorta fed up with that. I'm not talking about your rights, I'm saying don't act so shocked when people get a bit irritated by something that is or looks like one of those countless provocation threads. Acting overly defensive doesn't help. If you really want to discuss opinions, you don't jump on people when they say anything other than "Sir, yes, sir!".

That aside, especially in the last episode, you should take in account RD personality, she is way more straight and head-on than the rest of the six, so she often ends up voicing opinions without really having any reservations. Frankly, it would be out of character for anyone else to keep yelling on Discord.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe it would be better if stated that Dashie isn't getting too much screentime, but is getting too many lines even in episodes that belong to other ponies?

THAT I think is the main issue here that Clarity, Lightning Fluttershy, myself, and a few others are trying to get across here as our opinions.

As I said earlier, she is easy to write for because of her personality, ego, and goals and the writers are taking advantage of that because it doesn't require much thinking to make her spout out something brashly that you would expect from someone lacking any kind of control. She is the pony who would start a bar fight because you said their favorite band sucks. What they need to do though is stop making her always be the one to have the quick responses and such and think up fitting lines for the other ponies.

Sure, keep allowing her to try and dash after someone that irks her and always having AJ stop her. Not getting old at all. I'm pretty sure any of them would defend one of the others if given the opportunity. I see no reason why half of the lines in yesterday's episode that were just RD mouthing off at Discord couldn't have been said by any of the other ponies, of course in ways that would be more fitting for their personality. We've seen AJ, Rarity, Pinkie, all of them get mouthy before so it can be done.

Side note: Those complaining about this being just another "X is getting too much screentime" thread, especially ones directed at RD, go count how many times "Why no love for AJ" threads pop up monthly. I think Clarity is perfectly entitled to her own opinion on this since there is usually a lot of putting down of AJ usually for reasons that are silly. Stop bashing on people for voicing their opinions, this is a forum after all. One that should be loving and tolerating the **** outta people. Instead what I'm almost seeing is a vendetta out against Clarity for voicing an opinion she has about RD because it is negatively directed at your favorite pony.

Side side note: Nooo.... Don't let them get to you Clarity and potentially drive you from the forums again! We need you on team AJ or the universe is doooomed!

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 3

Many of me, huh, what does that mean? You can, but considering the number of RD hate threads, and the way you deliver, it may look like you are just trying to be provocative as many people before, and with your words, people are getting sorta fed up with that. I'm not talking about your rights, I'm saying don't act so shocked when people get a bit irritated by something that is or looks like one of those countless provocation threads. Acting overly defensive doesn't help. If you really want to discuss opinions, you don't jump on people when they say anything other than "Sir, yes, sir!".

I apologize. I thought my post shows clearly that I was also addressing the rest of the thread posters who said similar things that you did. I don't believe I was acting overly defensive, but rather exasperated, as I should be. You are assuming that I overreact to people who disagree with me--that is not true. I'm happy to listen to what they think. I'm only "overreacting" to people who think my topic is pointless or that, as you said, is merely created to "provoke" people and get responses for teh lulz. Please do not make wild assumptions. As I've stated countless times in this thread already, I made this topic because I actually believe that RD has too much screentime. 

• Brohoof 1

I apologize. I thought my post shows clearly that I was also addressing the rest of the thread posters who said similar things that you did. I don't believe I was acting overly defensive, but rather exasperated, as I should be. You are assuming that I overreact to people who disagree with me--that is not true. I'm happy to listen to what they think. I'm only "overreacting" to people who think my topic is pointless or that, as you said, is merely created to "provoke" people and get responses for teh lulz. Please do not make wild assumptions. As I've stated countless times in this thread already, I made this topic because I actually believe that RD has too much screentime. 

Well, and that is your opinion, just as your defensive stance is mine and provocation someone elses. You don't like people going after your opinion, so you surely wouldn't go after opinions of others. Right?

(And a last side note I have to this, comments along the lines "For the AJ team!" in topic that is easy to misinterpret such as this one also don't help. And no, it's not something you said.)

You may not see it, but I'm actually trying to help you here. Either way, enough about this.

To the actual topic, don't you think she actually gets extra lines (rather than screentime) because it simply fits the personality? When everypony else stands around and think about the next move, RD is already somewhere else, kicking someone to the face. It's debatable whether that is a good or bad personality trait, but's it definitely is there.

I'd say that goes even more for the recent episode, since you could say RD is opposite of Fluttershy when it comes to being open, forceful and regarding the opinions of others. Where Fluttershy wanted to give a chance, RD was all up for turning Discord to stone without talking to him. I actually think RD played the "opposition" quite well there.

• Brohoof 2

Well, RD is one of the most popular of the mane six. I don't really mind, however, I wish we had a Rarity episode! And a Twilight episode! AJ and Rainbow Dash dominated this season (Well, I don't mind AJ....she neede more screen time). Remember, we have season 4, which hopefully means 26 episodes that will obviously include the whole mane six in at least one episode. 

I was surprised to see that we had two RD episodes this season. The CMC also got loads of attention as well. But I hope we can see the mane six working together in the next episodes/finales. 

1) Rainbow Dash was being very dash like in the past episode. She knows Discord can't really be trusted and is not afraid to voice her opinion. 2) the reason she gets so much screen time is because she is a huge favorite, unlike AJ. Don't get me wrong, I love AJ, but Rainbow has the largest number of fans. The writers know this, so they give her more lines. 3) AJ needs more lines, I'm not going to lie, but she has nowhere as close to the number of fans that RD has. (Your argument seems to be more of a complaint that RD has more screen time than AJ, not Twi or rarity. It seems to me it's very AJ centered.) Anyways, that's my two bits.

Man why do people always have to smack about Rainbow Dash? I'm not that big of a fan of Pinkie Pie but you don't see me doing long rants about her slipping in as a BG pony at unneeded moments. 

Edited by Neighvana666

Considering how Rarity, prior to season 3, was the most featured pony on the show after Twilight, and that Rainbow Dash had less screentime than Pinkie after both the first seasons...

EDIT: Correction, read the list wrong. Rarity beats RD out over those two seasons, but RD did have more focus in S2.

As for this season... AJ dominates screentime. She even beats out Main Protagonist Twilight.

Added together with S3 up till episode 9, RD does come out on top of the supporting crew, but not by a far length. Here it is in seconds:

AJ 12444

RD 12860

PP 12694

FS 9771

R 12231

S 9778

TS 19125

Pretty sad that Spike beat out Fluttershy at that point.

No. RD does not really get too much screentime. Spotlight, however, is a different thing, and that I could see.

But for everyone saying Keep Calm and Flutter On was a Fluttershy Episode with Rainbow Dash stealing the rest of the groups thunder... no. She was the primary source of conflict outside of Discord. Written as such. This is not a pure Fluttershy Episode- pretty few episodes are.

Edited by RWB

Are you serious? This discussion is pointless. I couldn't care less about how many minutes a character is on screen, I just want to see some good quality story with relevance. This issue with Rainbow Dash is ridiculous, she is very good character, and dare I say, more interesting than Applejack.

• Brohoof 3

Are you serious? This discussion is pointless. I couldn't care less about how many minutes a character is on screen, I just want to see some good quality story with relevance. This issue with Rainbow Dash is ridiculous, she is very good character, and dare I say, more interesting than Applejack.
I'm honestly fucking tired of people coming into this thread just to complain that it's pointless and I know Clarity is too. If you honestly don't care, why even bother posting on this thread? It's an OPINION based thread where people can discuss how THEY feel about the matter,
  • Brohoof 2

I'm honestly fucking tired of people coming into this thread just to complain that it's pointless and I know Clarity is too. If you honestly don't care, why even bother posting on this thread? It's an OPINION based thread where people can discuss how THEY feel about the matter,

I've said it before. If you ask for opinions and can't take disagreeing ones, then don't start somewhat provocative thread asking for opinions.

"You are absolutely wrong and trolling." is opinion just as valid as "RD gets too much screentime and I don't like here because X is better and gets less screentime."

And it's really the last time I repeat that. Probably.  :P