Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilicorn  

959 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

I see a lot of people saying there are a lot of Twilicorn haters in here. Fact is there aren't so many. And those who really hated the change when it happened left the fandom. They were pretty vocal the weeks that followed Magical Mystery Cure, but today we don't see them much.

And now comes the anti-wave, the one that says "We love you Princess Twilight", because the ones who don't like the change have taken a chill pill and calmed down, or left. I support the change, for all the new possibilities this brings, but sine don't and I understand the reasons why. I just think we shouldn't shun it, because of all the possibilities it brings for Season 4 and the others to come (if there are others, but I am optimistic on this one).

yes as long as it well bring more story purgation in to the other lands around the kingdom and the different creatures as well. One of course for us is to see a living moose not one made of chocolate and two thoughts that are lesser or just animals like the hydra. We just feel that there is a big world that hasn't been seen much and for that fact the kingdom it's self hasn't been seen to much ether.So if it will lead to this then yes we support it.

To be honest the more I think about it the less I understand it as well. Ive seen many reasons for it, but I don't think many stand up to scrutiny. Some say it came from nowhere it had no indication or foreshadowing. It seemed blatantly obvious to me. She was the direct apprentice of Celestia, She rediscovered the Elements which was only known to be wielded by princesses, her element was a crown whilst the others where necklaces, she was obviously progressing with each major two parter, and her very nature assumes working to become something more, to better herself. It was obvious enough that people have been predicting it since season one. It was obvious enough that when alluded to in the Crystal Empire the first predictions I saw people making was Alicorn Twilight. Heck the only thing I found surprising is that Hasbro saw fit to market such a change in a main character. After all most shows like this are known to keep the status quo. 

Another reason I keep hearing is that She is now a "Mary Sue". Really this barely seems worth mentioning but I've seen it come up so many times. For one the term mary sue seems to be way to vague now. Iv seen it applied to pretty much anything. Being an alicorn means shes really powerful which makes her a "mary sue" Being a princess is a wish fulfillment which makes her a "mary sue". Having wings makes her look more unique which makes her a "mary sue". That's only what I've seen applied to Twilight I've seen so much applied to the term that it loses all meaning. Point being Twilight still retains the characteristics that made us love her. She still has faults, shell most likely still make mistakes, she will still learn, and she will still lose composer at times as she did in MMM.  

Another common reason is that it didn't make sense nor did the episode as a whole. I'm not sure why this is a reason either. To be honest after watching the episode 5 times the only things that I think can be brought up that weren't shown and elaborated on in the episode seem to be either nitpicking or is actually explained in the episode. Aside from a bit of a pacing problem which mlp suffers from quite often, the episode seemed to me to be very well handled with subtle references to past episodes which include the pilot, Cutie Mark Chronicles, and Return of Harmony among others. I think it had great visual and audio presentation. I also see no plot reason as to why Twilight's ascension makes no sense. Really it seems to make just as much sense as getting a magical tattoo upon discovering what your lot in life is. 

If you want an indept reason as to why I like the episode/ anaylisis go to this post. Its really long but perhaps worth a read.
http://mlpforums.com/topic/49755-s03e13-magical-mystery-cure/?p=1440962

The other very common reason is marketing. Really this would only be something that added insult to injury if I thought MMM and the concept to be bad. Some say it was an indication of Hasbro becoming further integrated with the show. Well as we have heard from the staff including Lauren Faust herself Hasbro has been pretty well involved from the start. Really this isn't the first or maybe not even the most evident case of Marketing in the show(at least not yet). Rarity gain butterfly wing in Sonic Rainboom was I think a pretty bad one that caused some pretty decent plot hiccups despite the overall great presentation. Then you have the cutie mark crusaders who I actually love as characters. However Lauren originally only intended on Apple Bloom, Hasbro wanted her to have friends. Do you really think it was a coincidence that those friends were G3 characters that retained their basic color scheme. After all Hasbro was using G3 molds at the time. Then you have Cheerilee, the Hot air balloon, and the train ect. The inclusion of beloved characters and the creation of the show as a whole was the result of marketing working in tandem with talented artists as most shows are. Really using marketing as the sole reason to hate this seems pretty flimsy to me. 

• Brohoof 1

The fanbase isn't keen to huge changes like this, and naturally when something happens that the fanbase isn't keen about happens, the reaction is negative.

One of the problems that I encountered often was the notion that Twilight was now at a higher level than the rest of her friends, and that she was now in a much more significant role than the rest of the mane 6, and no longer could be seen as an equal. We'll just have to see what they do about that in season 4, but I highly doubt that this is the case. 

I support Twilicorn! Nothing you guys say will persuade me otherwise! I thought that the season 3 finale was cool but I really wish they made both parts 48 minutes or something so they can expand it and flesh it out more because I honestly felt that it was too crammed with stuff.

I don't understand all the hate either. I LOVE the fact that Twilight is maturing and becoming an alicorn. She has the right to become a princess and it makes me happy to know that she is part of royalty now. :)

• Brohoof 1

I never really understood the hate and freak out some bronies did.

She's simply getting wings and becoming a princess, it's just change.

Of course, people simply don't like change, it's stupid, but they just don't.

I was actually happy for Twilight. 

• Brohoof 1

Regardless of anyone's reasons is it not the right of the creators to do what they please with their characters? You don't gotta like it but I've seen people try to write canon things out of their own personal fanon because they "didn't like what happened" and that honestly sounds pretty stupid.

Basically, a good chunk of the complaints boil down to, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Her becoming an Alicorn is change that shakes things up a bit.  Now change can be good, but change can also be very bad, which I think is what some Alicorn Twilight supporters seem to forget.  On the other hand, we already have a show format that we know is good, and we know works, so why mess with it?  Now I'm not one of the types that's bullheadedly against this development, but am more like, "Now hold on, there are some legitimate possible problems with this , can we at least address or acknowledge that?"

When it comes to any kind of "change," the only thing certain is the uncertainty, and in that case I'd prefer not to have any. 

I'm fine with Twilicorn but I think that it will interfere with her time in Ponyville being a princess now and all but i'm hoping the writers come up with something good to go with it 

(edited)

Some people are just afraid of change.  That's why there have been so many complaints about Alicorn Twilight.  And I'll say right now, the complaints are not about the fact that she's an Alicorn and a Princess.  It could have been anything, and people would have complained.  I know this, because I remember the uproar that happened when people first saw images of the 'crystal' versions of the mane 6.  Any change from the formula would've garnered the same reaction.  The reason people are complaining, is because they changed something, and not because Twilight's an Alicorn Princess now.

But the thing people don't understand is this.  We've gone three seasons, and we're just now seeing a change in the status quo.  Most kid's shows change things up every season.  Change in TV shows is inevitable and paramount to the growth of the characters.  There's only so much you can do with the main characters in the same situation for three years, and if you try to force things to stay the same, you end up with One More Day (and if you don't know what that is, look it up and read about one of the most controversial story arcs in comic book history).

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

While I can't speak for everyone who is against the change, I can list my reasons for not liking it. 

1: The execution was horrible.

There was more singing than actual dialog and the whole episode was rushed. MMC should have been a two parter, but no. All we got was "bam! Twilight is now a demi-god!" (more on that in a minute) I may not be a professional writer, but I know bad writing when I see it. 

2: The group dynamic is ruined. 

Before MMC, every one of the Mane 6 had a role to play. Each had their strengths and weakness. What one couldn't do, another could. Yes, Twilight was powerful before, but she lacked the abilities of her friends, so everything was balanced. But now? Not so much. Twilight can now do everything better (or at least has to potential to) than any of her friends. Why do we need Rainbow Dash anymore if Twilight can fly AND do magic? Also, Twilight is now royalty. They can't just give her a title of that magnitude and ignore it. Is she going to leave Ponyville? Is she going to get her own kingdom? Is she going to Princess boot-camp (that one might be fun to watch actually)? Point is, the entire premise of the show has been changed, which is always a huge risk, and the fact that it was done simply to sell a few more toys does not bode well IMO.  

3: Alicorn=better then you.

Alicorns are better in every way than normal ponies. They're more powerful, wise and all that jazz. This isn't my opinion, it's a canon fact. Now Twilight is one, meaning that she's now better than all of her friends in every way. While I'm happy that Twilight is getting a reward for her heroics (though why not the rest of the Mane 6? They helped save the world too) I'm more concerned for her friends than I am for her. How do you write a character based show when your main character is an informal demi-god who is also royalty? Any problem can be solved in seconds now. Dealing with a rowdy group of ponies/diamond dogs or whatever? So what? Twilight is royalty, she can just summon the royal guard and have them deal with it. Or use her new political power and do it herself. But what about her friends? What use are they now? Anything they can do, Twilight can now do better, and that scares me. 

4: Hasbro apparently refuses to learn from past mistakes. 

Back in the 80's during the G1 Transformers cartoon, they killed off Optimus to bring in new characters to boost toy sales. What happened? The show tanked soon after. What about My Little Pony Gen 3? They went overboard with the pretty pink princess theme and that show tanked too. You'd think that Hasbro would learn to let the writers do their job and not interfere. The fact that the higher-ups are now the ones calling the shots is a bad sign all around.

5: A change this big was unnecessary and badly timed. 

Yes, I will concede that change is needed to keep a show fresh, I won't argue that point. But a change this big (that was badly written)  when the show is at the peak of it's popularity? That's not a sound business idea. If they wanted change, they should have lead into it properly and not just dropped a bombshell like they did. Risking the future of the franchise (which is making Hasbro a TON of money as is) just to sell a few more Princess Twilight toys is not a smart move. Like I said before, I may not be a professional writer, but I'm more than able to tell if something is well-written or not. 

I could go into more details, but I'm sure no one wants to listen to me rant anymore than this, so I'll call it a day laugh.png

• Brohoof 2

Hmm, initially I was a bit apprehensive but a bit hopeful. After finding out that it was a multi-parter that would continue into S4 that changed to indifference. I wanna see where this goes first and after that I'll decide what I think. 

Twilicorn is an amazing character development for the series. I am proud of the writers for being so daring and putting Twilicorn in the middle of the series. Not only does it show they have guts, but it allows for many more interesting episodes. Now the series will begin to take place in other towns more often hopefully, and it adds many more conflicts. Such as, Twilight dealing with life as a princess, her friends dealing with canterlot ponies as they come to visit there more often. It just opens so many more doors to great episodes! I personally think they did a great job with that transformation as well. Everything was done perfectly with the resources they had. Trust the writers! That's my motto!img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png derpy_emoticon2.png wub.png

• Brohoof 1

When I 1st saw Twilight became a princess, I loved it! I was like, WAY TO GO TWILIGHT!

I can't wait what she does next in season 4! ^^

I even knew Alot of Bronies went AWOL on this show because of that.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, though I am not sure how they will carry this out in season 4, for all we know it could be the best season yet! or the worst. I don't see what all the fuss is about I am kinda glad they changed it up a bit and to all my fellow bronies and pegasister I bid you a good day img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png /)

I actually voted for yes before, but now I voted for no (which makes me the 100th voter)

The reason is that it's kinda unbalanced it used to be this

2 Earth Ponies

2 Unicorns

2 Pegasi

now it's 

2 Earth Ponies

2 Pegasi

1 Unicon

1 Alicorn

and it means

2 ponies have no wings nor horn

3 ponies have wings

2 ponies have unicorn horns

I dunno it just is unbalanced and Twilight looks REALLY weird with the wings without clothes. Also, now she's a princess and she might be treated like a Goddess and that was proven when Celestia says "we're all now your students" and they all bow to her, even Celestia herself. I mean having the main protagonist like the Queen is really awkward.

Despite the pessimism and negative talk, I mean we can't tell what Season 4's gonna be like. Only time can tell. And who knows, her being an alicorn could be a good thing. Bear in mind I really liked the episode S3E13 (other than the alicorn transformation obviously).

I totally support it!!!thats so cool how she learned about friendship then to be one of Equestria's highest figures,and then to stop it there to see where it will take Twilight and her friends,to me it's good thing :)

~MLPFan14

• Brohoof 1