Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favourite/best Doctor  

143 users have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite/best Doctor?

• The First Doctor
    • The Second Doctor
    • The Third Doctor
    • The Fourth Doctor
    • The Fifth Doctor
    • The Sixth Doctor
    • The Seventh Doctor
    • The Eighth Doctor
    • The Ninth Doctor
    • The Tenth Doctor
    • The Eleventh Doctor

The 11th Hour was such a beautiful work of art. Since I'm younger I never got to see the classics, but I started to watch them online and I have to say, I LOVE DOCTOR WHO <3

I'd have to say Matt is my favorite doctor though, and I'm up to Tom Baker. They're competing, but Matt is winning.

My favourite doctor is 11, but best Doctor IMO is 10 or 9. My favourite episode was Silence in the Library, as I got a lot of feels when I first watched it. We find this woman, nobody knows who she is but she clearly knows the doctor and in the end she just goes 'dead'. And when she's finally revealed, I get kinda sad because I realize what happens to her.

• Brohoof 1

My favourite doctor is 11, but best Doctor IMO is 10 or 9. My favourite episode was Silence in the Library, as I got a lot of feels when I first watched it. We find this woman, nobody knows who she is but she clearly knows the doctor and in the end she just goes 'dead'. And when she's finally revealed, I get kinda sad because I realize what happens to her.

I loved Silence in the Library!  Going back and watching it after finishing the whole River Song story-arc, I was so much more upset at the end!   

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Well first off, I don't really like the old doctors (anyone before the 9th, but I guess the new ones wouldn't be here without the old ones)

I still can't get over what happened with Rose.... TWICE.... and same with River

I dunno, there's just too many epic moments for all of them to pick a favourite.

I don't know what's harder, picking a favourite Doctor or picking a favourite pony...

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to say the my favourite is Jon Pertwee, though David Tennant is a close second. But yea, hail number three, who snapped necks and was all in all a total badass. Also, just look at that costume. Everything about him is awesome.

Jon-Pertwee.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

img-1336133-1-Doctor-Who-logo1.jpg

What is Doctor Who?

Doctor Who is a BBC program originally started on November 23, 1963 with William Hartnell staring as the titular character. The story follows the Doctor, an alien from the planet called Gallifrey that travels through all of time and space with companions in a blue box called the TARDIS. Taking a short hiatus from 1989, the Doctor tried to return with a TV movie featuring the Eighth Doctor. As it was unable to obtain a new home, there were no new adventures until the series was renewed in 2005 with a new face.

Who is the Doctor?

img-1336133-2-Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

The faces of the Doctor. Starting from the top left to right:

William Hartnell('63 - '66), Patrick Troughton('66 - '69), John Pertwee('70 - '74), Tom Baker('74 - '81)

Peter Davidson('81 - '84), Collin Baker ('84 - '86), Slyvester McCoy ('87 - '89), Paul McGann ('96)

Christopher Eccleston (2005), David Tennant (2005 - 2010), Matt Smith (2010 - present)

The Doctor is a Time Lord, an alien from the planet called Gallifrey. He has two hearts, and is able to regenerate. Before a Time Lord dies, he is able to use energy to change his face and form. He changes personality, however he is still the same man underneath. Regeneration came to be after William Hartnell, the First Doctor, was unable to continue the series so the BBC made him regenerate into the Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton. The Doctor is the last of his kind; his greatest enemy the Daleks destroying his home planet. Currently the Doctor is in it's Eleventh incarnation, being played by Matt Smith since 2010.

Who are the Companions?

The companions are people that travel with the Doctor. Usually being female and British, they are the the ones that ask the questions and help out the Doctor. The most recent companion is Clara Oswald, who became companion in the Christmas Special in 2012.

Who are the villians?

Too many to list, but the most common occurring ones are the Daleks, Cybermen, Wheeping Angels and the Master.

LIST OF WHOVIANS:

thanksforthetea

the_jetfighter

fhaolan

Stratos

-sYGQ-IronPuddinG

Note: If I am missing anything major please let me know as I will fix this.

Edited by thanksforthetea

ERMAGHERD, Dr Who has been one of my favorite shows since childhood, and one of my dads favorite shows during his child hood, i lost touch with the show a while ago. i just recently started to watch the episodes featuring the older doctors, my favorite is the fourth, i am cosplaying as him at the Calgary comic con!

ERMAGHERD, Dr Who has been one of my favorite shows since childhood, and one of my dads favorite shows during his child hood, i lost touch with the show a while ago. i just recently started to watch the episodes featuring the older doctors, my favorite is the fourth, i am cosplaying as him at the Calgary comic con!

Nice! I added you to the fans list!

I'm all caught up with "New Who" and have slowly started bouncing around with Classic Who. My favourite Doctor thus far for the classics is Five, after seeing some First Doctor and Second Doctor serials. My favourite New Who Doctor has to be by far Eleven!

That's awesome you're cosplaying Four! I cosplayed Eleven for Gallifrey One this year, and am going to again for 2014! :D

• Brohoof 1

I wonder why not some people don't like Matt Smith that much? I remember the first episode where the doctor regenerated into the 11th and a little while you can see on forum blogs of people hating Matt Smith... Tennant had a huge fanbase I can tell you that

Whovian4Life

(edited)

Well I think it's like people don't care for Peter Davidson after Tom Baker left the show. Some "fans" don't like change and people want Tennant to come back to the show as the Doctor.

It's called "Doctor Who", not "Doctor Tennant". I know I'll be sad when Matt Smith leaves sure, but the show needs to evolve and grow. People just need to learn that this is a show that changes on a whim. With companions leaving, to the TARDIS interior, to the Doctor himself.

@Sir.Derpington Hooves

It's a fantastic show! I really enjoy it because of the history (they travel to different parts of history like Madame de Pompadour to Vincent Van Gogh), as well as the story telling.

Personally I recommend either starting in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston when the revamp started, or Series 5 where Matt Smith comes on in 2010. I know I start my friends with Matt Smith since it's new Doctor, new Companions and you get a feel for the show. Then you can catch up on newer episodes, then backtrack to 2005.

Edited by thanksforthetea

You can definitely put me on the list.  Doctor Who and MLP are the only shows that I watch, so they're pretty important to me.  I haven't been around long enough to appreciate the pre-2005 series, so I really only watch the 2005 re-installment.  I have a hard time watching previous generations of anything (I can't bring myself to watch Gen 1 of MLP, even though I hear it's decent.), and that includes Doctor Who unfortunately.  I'm sure it's great, but I just feel antsy and I can't full appreciate the episode because of it's age (had a hard time wording that one.  :S)

But, I'm definitely a fan.  :D

-IP

You can definitely put me on the list.  Doctor Who and MLP are the only shows that I watch, so they're pretty important to me.  I haven't been around long enough to appreciate the pre-2005 series, so I really only watch the 2005 re-installment.  I have a hard time watching previous generations of anything (I can't bring myself to watch Gen 1 of MLP, even though I hear it's decent.), and that includes Doctor Who unfortunately.  I'm sure it's great, but I just feel antsy and I can't full appreciate the episode because of it's age (had a hard time wording that one.  :S)

But, I'm definitely a fan.  biggrin.png

-IP

No worries! I understand since I know lots of Whovians like that!

I'm a sucker for history, so I go back and watch previous things. I started with the New Who (Started with "Smith and Jones"), so I watched that, caught up to Matt Smith, then back tracked to Christopher Eccleston.

I just find that Doctor Who is one of the few communities that when you meet other Whovians that it is such a lovely, welcoming feeling. I went to Gallifrey One this year (Doctor Who con in LA), and every single person I met and talked to was just so wonderful. Even if we had different interests or were from other backgrounds, Doctor Who brought us all together to that one spot.

I wonder why not some people don't like Matt Smith that much? I remember the first episode where the doctor regenerated into the 11th and a little while you can see on forum blogs of people hating Matt Smith

That my fellow Doctor Who fan, is what I like to call, The Whovian Cycle: Likes the current Doctor, Doctor regenerates and gets replaced by another actor, hates the new Doctor immediately, starts to hate the new Doctor less and less, rinse and repeat.

• Brohoof 1

Put me down as a longtime fan. I started watching with the first episode of Jon Pertwee, as that's where TVOntario started back in the 70's. I have every existing episode on DVD, and eagerly wait for news of old episode recoveries.

It was Doctor Whooves that cemented me as a brony. :)

I wonder how many people got into MLP because of Doctor Whooves.

For people that are up to date on the New Who, what do you guys think of Clara thus far?

Personally I just hope she becomes a Donna than a romantic interest to the Doctor. I want another companion like Donna, since I like the humor that Donna and Ten had a lot more than companions that are romantically interested in the Doctor.

Doctor Who is easily one of the best shows on TV. I love it. 4th Doctor FTW! I have a Tom Baker Scarf and Screwdriver. I started with Tom Baker and have seen every Doctor since 2005. Romana II is great.

• Brohoof 1

I am SO GLAD someone made this thread!  Now I get to spaz out about how much I love the doctor!

Also, put me on the list.

Also, also, I am worried that when Matt Smith leaves we'll be looking at the last doctor!!  Isn't he only supposed to have 13 incarnations??

Clara's not bad so far. Hoping she doesn't go all Rose, of course. She reminds me a bit of Sara Jane Smith from the original run, but only a bit.

Not going to spoil it, but apparently the BBC has announced some details about the 50th anniversary episode. Some good new and some... odd news. I'm a bit puzzled about the villain they've announced as coming back for it, not exactly what I would call a memorable one. I would have thought 50th anniversary episode, they've got to use something a bit more iconic, but who knows it's likely they've got a twist in mind that I'm not thinking of.

That my fellow Doctor Who fan, is what I like to call, The Whovian Cycle: Likes the current Doctor, Doctor regenerates and gets replaced by another actor, hates the new Doctor immediately, starts to hate the new Doctor less and less, rinse and repeat.

I'll admit I've done it twice so far :x

But I always end up loving each take on the Doctor in the end and when he goes the cycle starts anew.

I am SO GLAD someone made this thread!  Now I get to spaz out about how much I love the doctor!

Also, put me on the list.

Also, also, I am worried that when Matt Smith leaves we'll be looking at the last doctor!!  Isn't he only supposed to have 13 incarnations??

They've kinda-sorta glossed over that in the new series. The Master found ways to circumvent the regeneration limit in the original series, and the Time Lords even offered him a new run of regenerations somehow during the 20th anniversary episode. And then in the new series the Master had the ability to regenerate again. The Doctor mentioned off-handedly in the Sarah Jane spinoff that Time Lords can regenerate indefinitely, but that might have been him telling stories again.

Even then there is some bits in the old series that seemed to indicate that William Hartnel wasn't actually the first incarnation, that there might have been others before him. Some speculate that the Doctor has actually received whatever the Time Lords were offering the Master, in that this isn't his first time around the mulberry bush.

@@Fhaolan,

Yeah, if anything I miss out on it is the specials and stuff you guys get in the other English speaking countries.  I miss out on canon Who stuff because BBC America is dumb and Netflix is usually way behind.

This is why I need a Who thread to keep me informed.

@Stratos,

Rule number one of the Doctor. The Doctor always lies.

I bet you he has more incarnations than 13 or whatever he has mentioned in the past. The BBC like money, and as long as people continue supporting Who they will keep a Doctor around.

• Brohoof 2

@Stratos,

Rule number one of the Doctor. The Doctor always lies.

This line.  This line right here.

He does.  And he only sometimes feels bad about it.

That's why I love the Doctor.  He can be so morally righteous and perfectly smug and then the next moment you're going "WOAH DOCTOR NO DONT DO THAT YOU JERK!"

Doctor Who is an amazing show that makes the concept of Canon go completely haywire. There are three completely independent destructions of Atlantis. I *dare* you to make a coherent history of the Daleks without deliberately skipping some of the episodes. And one name that breaks continuity into tiny little bits: Rassilon.

It's easier to list the things that are consistent than stuff that isn't. And that's what makes it so fun.

So them ignoring the Regeneration Limit? *shrug* I would hope they put *something* in about it being more difficult/dangerous/whatever past a certain point, just to put a bit of risk into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

• Brohoof 1