Do Human beings have free will?

Fluffy Pinkie

80 users have voted

1. 1. Do Humans have free will?

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
    • Not sure

I believe that humans have the concept of freewill but don't understand how little we actually have since a lot of our choices are made from past experiences given to us by outside parties. Like a you're a lego tower built by other people. So our decisions are just a bi-product over outside influences that we have no control over. You can also tack on how advertising using manipulative means to get you to buy something and then it further ties into the idea. 

If this is just a matter of Fate vs. Freewill however, yes, humans do have freewill because the concept of fate almost seems rather silly when you look at it. 

Completely agree, not to mention fate sounds boring, how is that even close to super awesome? Pfft, screw that. 

• 1 month later...

(This pretty much sums up my opinions on the matter.)

Everything you do is the result of activities in your brain of which you are not aware. No matter how much you consider something, there is a reason as to why you made that choice! :lol:

100% honest naturalism believes in complete Newtonian Determinism. Quantum Theory states that matter collapses from possible states into absolute states by being observed. The behaviour and mechanics of these phenomena would be astronomically difficult, tantamount to impossible, to predict.

That being the case, I said we know what happens, not how it happens, so I am not in a position to either agree or disagree with your statement.

I think the problem here is that many seem to be of the viewpoint that, "if I can choose to do X, then I have free will." 

Say there is a glass on a table in front of you, and you must choose a hand to pick up the glass. You can waste hours thinking it over, but in the end, picking up the glass with either hand, or even refusing to pick up the glass at all, is a decision you made for a reason, whether you realize it or not. Maybe it was your upbringing, or based on which of your hands is dominant, but at the end of the day, you didn't really have a free choice.

Of course we have free will. Don't you make choices you make every day that have their own repercussions? Isn't your life built from your own decisions? I don't get how someone could possibly think that they live their lives without making their own decisions and choices. Did God want me to deliver pizzas for a few years or get me to like MLP? The alternative is that our destinies and choices are chosen like a marrionet between god and the devil? That we live in a bad sitcom or drama for some deity's amusement. That we can't trust in any of the choices and decisions we make as our own.......Seriously? 

Of course we have free will. Don't you make choices you make every day that have their own repercussions? Isn't your life built from your own decisions? I don't get how someone could possibly think that they live their lives without making their own decisions and choices. Did God want me to deliver pizzas for a few years or get me to like MLP? The alternative is that our destinies and choices are chosen like a marrionet between god and the devil? That we live in a bad sitcom or drama for some deity's amusement. That we can't trust in any of the choices and decisions we make as our own.......Seriously? 

That is not the only alternative. There is the alternative that everything you do is the result of unknown factors in your brain, and that there is a reason for your choosing to do anything. 

Of course, I don't know squat about neuroscience, so you can see the video I posted and hear from an expert.

I believe were all born with certain unalienable natural rights in the laws of nature endowed bby nature's God, Creator of the universe. I don't believe were born sinners or broken people or the bible and biblical god. I do believe you have rights of religious beliefs, I just don't like when religious extremists who use bigotry to oppress people with the fictional idea of sin, especially towards innocent same sex couples and other innocent outsiders of the Christian religion either with different religion or no religion. Im a deist anyhow, even almost all of USA founding fathers were deists. I do get mad at Christian extremists lying to the people saying USA is founded as a Christian Nation on Christian principles which is not.

"The government of United States is not in any sense founded on Christian religion"

-John Adams

We have more than free will, we have Natural Rights of Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

That is not the only alternative. There is the alternative that everything you do is the result of unknown factors in your brain, and that there is a reason for your choosing to do anything. 

Of course, I don't know squat about neuroscience, so you can see the video I posted and hear from an expert.

nah ive got enough free will to know that that would be a waste of my time. expert, lol.