Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Homeschooling!

Crazy Misty

What's your opinion on this?

Do you think it's right? Do you think it's wrong? Discuss!

I might add though, that homeschoolers do get higher grades than public schoolers, of course that's not saying public schoolers can't do good either!

:3

I don't know. I am not homeschooled and I do not know anyone who is. I don't think homeschooling is that usual in Sweden.

Edited by Jokuc

From what I understand, homeschooling results in a child who is more successful academically and therefore more likely to get a good job, earn more money etc etc. Whereas a public schooled child is more likely to be able to deal with interaction with other people, make more friends and know how to get on people's good sides. This can also be important in many jobs, albeit less so than a good academic record.

I guess it comes down to which of these the parents think is more important.

I belive that public schooling is better as you need that kind of social interaction at a young age. Dont know much about home schooling to be honest, but im guessing that its quality depends on the tutor...

I belive that public schooling is better as you need that kind of social interaction at a young age. Dont know much about home schooling to be honest, but im guessing that its quality depends on the tutor...

Who's too say that homeschoolers dont get social interaction? You just have to seek out friends, like going to the park, getting to know your neighbors ect.

• Brohoof 1

Who's too say that homeschoolers dont get social interaction? You just have to seek out friends, like going to the park, getting to know your neighbors ect.

Very true, but im not sure young kids who are home schooled right from the start will understand that. Im not saying they wont get any kind of social interaction, its just good to go through your early academic years with kids your own age I think, but thats just me.

on the other hand (I think im argueing with my own point here) , the social interaction you recive from public schools can be negative, like bullying. I suppose you can avoid that with homeschooling...

Very true, but im not sure young kids who are home schooled right from the start will understand that. Im not saying they wont get any kind of social interaction, its just good to go through your early academic years with kids your own age I think, but thats just me.

on the other hand (I think im argueing with my own point here) , the social interaction you recive from public schools can be negative, like bullying. I suppose you can avoid that with homeschooling...

Oh I fully agree, for me personally I think a child should go to public school till they're about to go to high school then go into homeschooling!

I think going to school is better.....because it give the student ability to intract with other people ..and give the the chile to make frindship with other children in same age ...and it give the child a chance to learn about life...insted of keeping the child in a box. :wub:

Although not strictly among these lines, I think of homeschooling as choosing between social interaction and knowledge, as someone has previously stated. You'll learn how to interact with your peers, your enemies, and your "boss" (teachers). Whereas, in homeschooling, you'll be in a more relaxed, but more contained environment, allowing you to learn more at the expense of that social interaction.

The way I see it it depends on:

• Subjects being taught
  • The usefulness of said subjects
  • Quailty of teaching
  • Ensure lesson has been taught
  • They can take what they lear and answer an actual exam

Because let's face it, we spend 60% in school not listening, the teachers know that that's why you end up doing the same lesson over and over.

Simple: if you are home schooled you'll probably recieve a better education, but going to school actually teaches you how to interact with other people, and i personally believe thats a lot more important

I've been home-schooled through all of High School so far, well officially it's an online school but it is pretty much home-school. It's kind of painful to not have as much social interaction as if I went to traditional school, but it's not too much of an issue. The reason behind homeschooling is because the high school in my town is terrible.

I think it depends on a lot of things. Like, do you live in a situation where you'd get plenty of social interaction homeschooling? I know some friends who homeschool and probably get more quality social interaction than people who go to public school, because they live in a close neighboorhood and have a big family.

Myself, on the other hand, couldn't tolerate homeschooling at one point because there's NOBODY at home, parents are usually off doing stuff, even, and the houses here are far apart, no real neighborhood group or anything.

But I do and will always strongly support homeschooling, because it offers citizens a choice, and an alternative for public school or private school. There's a lot of situations where that can be really good. For one thing, public schools force kids with high standards to mingle with those who don't respect law or morals, which can be disasterous. And they may not be able to afford private school.

Whatever the case, it's an individual decision on a family level. No way in heck should the government be telling people what decision they have to make...

I would say school is better based on the fact that one parent cannot teach all subjects to the same depth as a moderately good teacher could for their respective subject.

On the other hand children and teenagers are brought into social interaction they often would not receive during homeschooling, it can even be easier to meet people with similar interests in school because you create a higher density of people who can have varying ideas.

Visit MOCpages some time, its down right now, but 9/10 Teens there are homeschooled for religious reasons, most homeschoolers are pretty dumb from what I know and most will not even go to college.

All because their parents don't want them to learn the theory of evolution, sorry creationism is totally illogical.

erm.....no

I've had both, they both have their ups and downs. I've been homeschooled most of my life.

My mom is a certified teacher so I actually got a pretty good education from being homeschooled. When I entered normal school I was smarter than most of the kids there. On one occasion I even got moved up a grade.

Being homeschooled does pull you out of society though. Both for the better and worse. I'm one of the few kids around here who does not use "ghetto talk" and is not a blatant pervert. On the downside the lack of social interactions has made it difficult for me to make and maintain friendships.

Visit MOCpages some time, its down right now, but 9/10 Teens there are homeschooled for religious reasons, most homeschoolers are pretty dumb from what I know and most will not even go to college.

All because their parents don't want them to learn the theory of evolution, sorry creationism is totally illogical.

If you are going to homeschool your kid, then religious reasons are probably on the list why not to homeschool your kid. Because it means you are probably not up to the task.

If you are going to homeschool your kid, then religious reasons are probably on the list why not to homeschool your kid. Because it means you are probably not up to the task.

Exactly, my mom and dad considered homeschooling me, but wanted me to experience school and all its endeavors (prom, friends, detention XD) I feel sorry for most homeschoolers, their missing out on all the good things school has to offer.

Edited by Samthelegoman

Well, let's weigh the options, shall we?

Public School

• Social interactions
  • Real science classes
  • Crap food
Private School
  • Social interactions (Prep: Douchebags from CT, Catholic: Annoying goody two-shoes kids)
  • Real science classes (prep) or
  • Science augmented with religion (Catholic)
  • DELICOU FOOD (1 year of prep school taught me this)
Home School
  • No social interactions (parents don't count)
  • No science whatsoever
  • Leftovers
That one year of prep school was absolute hell, so I'm gonna pick public.

Private Schooling- special schools for rich people

Home Schooling- special school for kids with parents with too much time on their hands

It's really just an extra bonus and a decision that a parent is entitled to make.

May an actual homeschooler put her opinion out there? I think homeschooling is better because:

1: You get important lessons regardless. Yes socal interaction doesn't happen often but for me it happens often enough.

2. You never get bullied/beaten up/or peer pressure to do drugs or have sex.

3. You can sometimes choose your subjects and most importantly learn at your own pace without being called lazy.

4. You learn a lot more on life then most would realize. Field trips are to the extreme and in my case I learned to throw a right hook at four whilst learning street smarts as well as school smarts.

It has it's benefits especially with how these days the teachers seem to get kicks out of insulting their students too. As someone who would have been prime target for bullying (no hair at fourteen years old kinda overweight) I'm glad my parents homeschooled me.

Also I know how to cook a full course meal with no help, have all my knife skills and because of independant study I know a lot more about medicine then one would think.

Go ahead ask me what a median sternotomy is.

Edited by Arashi Takamine
  • Brohoof 2

I was in public school for eight years, but now im homeschooled. I do better, and learn more in homeschool. But I was in public school long enough to gain good social interaction skills. I like homeschool better, but I'm glad I got to go to public school aswell. ^_^

Edited by AppleSmack
  • Brohoof 1