Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Based on just the knowledge you learned at school, how good would you be at homeschooling someone?

Reecejackox

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the LACK of knowledge learned at school I would be a great home-schooler. All I’d have to do is the opposite of everything I experienced in school and I’d be a genius. Memorizing a bunch of useless facts as fast as you can in order to pass final exams is not what I call an education. Nothing learned can be retained that way. Learning is only achieved when the student is interested in the subjects being taught, or at least recognizing the necessity of it. Since leaving school after 8th grade, and having begun my true education from that moment forward, I would be an excellent home-school teacher based on personal experience and an understanding of how to engage interest in almost any subject. And I will be putting this to the test because no child of mine will ever see the inside of a public classroom until they’re older and able to make an informed decision to do so. 

• Brohoof 1

I could teach History very well, could probably teach a little Biology (but no dissection!!), as well. Could teach writing (don't take the messed up grammar of this post to heart :P). I could teach Music Theory, but I think that's a rare class to teach through homeschool.

But I wouldn't be so great at many other subjects - Math being the key one that sticks out. But at least in the subjects I would be able to teach I would make sure I teach truth and facts, which I don't get the impression that a lot of home schoolers do (I could be exaggerating here and hope I am - but understand I've gotten a lot further in depth into understanding those communities than I ever thought I would and it's not pretty). So that's a plus. (I say this even though I have one friend who is a homeschooler, she defies my expectations, but she's a rarity).

• Brohoof 1

What? I can't even use books or internet? Probably pretty bad.

If I had time to commit to it I feel I could teach somebody pretty well. IF I had the time, like it was my only job. I'd probably enjoy learning myself while I did it.

• Brohoof 1

Very good actually.... i tell them that everything they teach you at school is pretty much useless.

Probably the basics of math and english. No need to teach history unless if you're gonna major it in college then learn it in college. Because social studies or history in elementary or highschool is all lies and propaganda.

Then ill teach them street smarts and how to avoid bullies.

Teach them common sense. Which in school. They destroy that.

What else. Physical education.

• Brohoof 1

Based just on school a complete failure but if it were all that learned in life on the other hand I would do great at homeschooling any kids I were to have.

School will only help you so far so without practical real life knowledge to teach homeschooling will fail by default for me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a lot of people are not that prepared, not even most of the ones who think they can do it.

Not to be negative, of course! Even I can be wrong. :twi:
But from what I've seen, learning is not the same as teaching. You can be a genius in just about any field, but that only means you are good at it, that doesn't automatically mean you are capable of teaching. That's a completely different skill set. Just as an example, I knew someone who could iron a piece of clothing in mere seconds. They tried to teach me, but failed. They had been doing it for so long that it became second nature to them, and they were unable to explain their method in simple steps; they could only teach by demonstration. A teacher can do more then that. They can demonstrate, break the skill down into steps, give you simple but effective tips and tricks to help you understand the material better, they have a teaching plan and a way to track your progress, etc.

• Brohoof 2

I would definitely be confident in homeschooling my student(s). Unlike most of my professors who have failed me, due to lack of understanding how to teach, I’ve studied and done actual research on different methods of learning/thinking progress. With that background knowledge I would be able to understand the specific needs my students would require. I would teach History, Organic chemistry/Chemistry(including labs), literature, fiction writing and screenwriting. My teaching methods will varies depending what my students needs in order to learn and comprehend the subject. I want them to enjoy the subject and not attend it for the sake of grades or whatnot.

• Brohoof 1