Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why would Celestia turn Twilight and Cadence into princesses? *SPOILER*

Commander_PonyShep

And yes, despite the *SPOILER* alert in the title, I've just spoiled one of the big reveals in the upcoming book, The Crystal Heart Spell, in which Cadence was once a pegasus before reforming a villain, thus becoming an alicorn herself in the process.

But other than that, when you think about it, I feel that Celestia turned Twilight and Cadence into alicorn princesses for some higher purpose, not just to wield the Elements of Harmony and run the Crystal Empire, respectively.  I believe Cadence and Twilight won't outlive Shining Armor and the other five main ponies, respectively, though I have no proof other than Cadence as an adolescent when she foalsat Twilight.  However, I think Celestia is setting up both those alicorn princesses for something bigger, maybe in the Season Four premiere.

And when you think about it some more, Cadence is the princess of love, while Twilight is the princess of friendship.  This was implied by the way Cadence married herself to Shining Armor, and the way Twilight united five more mares her age under a banner of friendship.  Perhaps she was setting up both those princesses to save the world from a threat worse than Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, and Alicorn Amulet-powered Trixie combined.  Or perhaps, Celestia and Luna are about to die, and the former was building Twilight and Cadence to be her's and her sister's successors.

The only we can find out is if we wait for Season Four.  In the meantime, I still have the comics and the Funrise plush-dolls, plus Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters and a variety of other Hub channel shows.

• Brohoof 15

i can see what your saying and i agree that they have been trained for something big( especially twilight) but i don't think Celestia actually did the changing for them. to me i looked more like she was there just to make sure everything happened smoothly. she watched over twilight during the change and made sure twilight was not afraid of what was going on.

this is my opinion on the change. they would of when through it at some point in their lives regardless of any involvement from Celestia. she saw this and helped them get on the right path so that they could use their new powers for the good of equestria

• Brohoof 3

i can see what your saying and i agree that they have been trained for something big( especially twilight) but i don't think Celestia actually did the changing for them. to me i looked more like she was there just to make sure everything happened smoothly. she watched over twilight during the change and made sure twilight was not afraid of what was going on.

this is my opinion on the change. they would of when through it at some point in their lives regardless of any involvement from Celestia. she saw this and helped them get on the right path so that they could use their new powers for the good of equestria

But why Cadence and Twilight, but no other pony in Equestria?  What did Cadence and Twilight have that countless other ponies do not?  Surely, they're being trained for a purpose much higher than merely becoming alicorn princesses!

But why Cadence and Twilight, but no other pony in Equestria?  What did Cadence and Twilight have that countless other ponies do not?  Surely, they're being trained for a purpose much higher than merely becoming alicorn princesses!

Are they? As the phrase goes it might be 'just what it says on the tin'.

This might be a natural process that Celestia prods chosen individuals towards, an extension of the internal magic ponies have that causes cutie-marks to appear on them, but not any other creature in Equestria. Not because Celestia is building up an alicorn army, but instead like a reservoir of magic being held back by a dam that needs pressure let off on occasion to prevent it from bursting and causing spontaneous magical eruptions in undesirable ways. Allowing certain ponies get alicorned might relieve the pressure for awhile. Maybe at some point in the past she let the pressure build up too high, which caused the creation of Changelings.

Or maybe Celestia has to be careful very careful of who gets through the process, because if they're not spiritually and physically sound, it will go wrong. Sombra could have been a failed alicorn, which accounts for some of his physical differences from normal unicorns, he just didn't have it in him to go all the way to getting wings, but he got part-way there and went mad from it. A more extreme version of that could have been Discord. He may have been the first, and was shattered by it. Celestia and Luna coming along later and with the knowledge of what happened before managed to control the event to a survivable level, and every one afterwards getting an even more reduced version to prevent damage.

I don't necessarily believe any of that, but I don't think we have quite enough information yet to go beyond speculation. Not to say that speculation is bad, but beware of taking speculation too seriously because until it's presented in the show itself (or in other official sources like that book), we simply don't have enough to be sure about it.

• Brohoof 1

Semi-weird moment where I talk about my one favourite and one least favourite pony in one topic.

Do you buy into the theory that Cadence is Celestia's past student? I always saw her being born a princess.

Semi-weird moment where I talk about my one favourite and one least favourite pony in one topic.

Do you buy into the theory that Cadence is Celestia's past student? I always saw her being born a princess.

Apparently Cadence was a Pegasus, and not Celestia's past student according to the Crystal Heart Spell book (which is also supposedly cannon). I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know for sure, but Commander PonyShep seems to have gotten an advance copy.

Apparently Cadence was a Pegasus, and not Celestia's past student according to the Crystal Heart Spell book (which is also supposedly cannon). I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know for sure, but Commander PonyShep seems to have gotten an advance copy.

She was a pegasus that got a horn later on? I can imagine that considering Twilight was a unicorn that got wings later on. I still don't like Cadence, though. <.<

Or perhaps, Celestia and Luna are about to die, and the former was building Twilight and Cadence to be her's and her sister's successors.

Yeah this is also my theory, cause Twilight seems to have more magic power than Celestia even before the alicorn transformation.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that's kind of a relief. I always thought the implication that only unicorns can become alicorns was a bit unfair.

Personally, I think that Celestia's just grooming future leaders, and to represent every pony, you need to have all of the abilities of the three races combined.  That's been my theory, at least.

• Brohoof 3

Well, of course, it's to take over the entire world in the name of Equestria!  She's already placed Cadence in the Crystal Empire, Twilight is obviously going on an epic journey to conquer some distant land.  She's making princesses like a ruler would make generals.  Only with friendship.  It makes sense? ph34r.png

• Brohoof 1

Celestia didn't turn Twilight into an alicorn. The magic came from her own center of mass, and it was purple.

Celestia's is golden.

Therefore, Twilight's transformation naturally occured after she wrote her own magic.

Yeah this is also my theory, cause Twilight seems to have more magic power than Celestia even before the alicorn transformation.

My theroy is that since the royal sisters are no longer connected to the elements they can't protect Equestria as well as they used to.

• Brohoof 1

Idk I didn't think Cadence was transformed into an Alicorn though, I thought she was just born an Alicorn, I mean she hasn't been shown without her wings, so I can only assume shes not earned them really. Or been given them. I also thought they said sometime in the finale that Twilight was the first made Alicorn instead of born Alicorn or something.

I do think its highly possible we are going to see some crazy evil stuff in S4 though. I'd be really surprised to not see something like that in S4 to be honest.

• Brohoof 1

Am I the only one that sees the whole 'Celestia turning them into Princesses' thing as being a sort of Equestrian version of someone being knighted?

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

Because #SWAGYOLO.

Princess Celestia turned Twilight Sparkle into a Princess due to her fulfilling her destiny. She was Celestia's most dedicated and faithful student, but she needed friends in order to fulfill her destiny, unbeknownst to Twilight. She did just that. But quite honestly, I am not too sure as to why Twilight's destiny is to become an alicorn Princess.

Princess Cadance's past is still unknown.

• Brohoof 1

You guys have it all wrong. Celestia and Luna are rare forms of Equestrian vampire. To maintain their immortality they must drain the life essence of heroes and specifically alicorns every thousand years. That's why Celestia mentored Twilight-just like a farmer fattening a cow for slaughter.

Starswirl the Bearded was Celestia's first victim.

Just wait for the end of the season opener: thousands of little girls will be traumatized.

• Brohoof 2

Or perhaps, Celestia and Luna are about to die, and the former was building Twilight and Cadence to be her's and her sister's successors.

Eh, I don't think they'll die. There has been no foreshadowing of that, plus it would anger many people, and death wouldn't be something covered in a kid's show. Also, realize that those two raise the sun and moon. We don't know if Twi and Cadence have that amount of magical ability.

Edited by Pilot
  • Brohoof 1

What if, instead of there being 2 rulers, there were supposed to be 3? Here's my theory: Starswirl was supposed to be the third ruler. However, he refused to understand the magic of friendship, and thus, he was not able to turn into an alicorn. He got kinda frustrated, and ended up traveling away. Combine this with the Nightmare Moon incident, and Celestia has been doing the work of 3 alicorns for 1000 years. Celestia needs a break. She is grooming Cadence and Twilight  be the new princesses. However, Celestia also wants the rulers to have a stronger bond than before. So, she has had the 2 current new princesses grow up with each other. So, ideally, the third ruler should have a bond with princesses. And who has a large bond with both ponies? Shining Armor. Him and Twilight are destined to do what Celestia and Luna have done.

• Brohoof 1

i think its an interesting concept, and i can see it becoming cannon. However Hasbro has made it clear that the merchandise and related publicized is not directly cannon, so while the crystal heart spell is interesting, it not cannon until the show references the events. But, back on topic now, i agree with your opinion. Twilight and Cadence seem to be meant for a higher purpose. If you pay attention to some of the dialogue you might notice that they reference other royalty, however they are never seen or refered to by name. This probably means that cadence and twilight are special.

You seem from the title to be of the position that Celestia and Celestia alone is what turned them into alicorns. However it isnt what is really indicated in the episode. It seems to be shown that becoming an alicorn is a form of ascension that occurs when a pony reaches a heightened or ultimate understanding of their special talent. Twilight did so by reaching and applying an ultimate understanding of the magic of friendship through the elements of harmony. Celestia didn't send Twilight to the higher magical plane Twilight reached it through her own actions by performing the spell. The energy that changed Twilight came from within her not from Celestia and its color was of Twilight's not Celestia's magic. That and the emotional tone and content of the song tell me that the transformation process was guided but not dictated by Celestia. Celestia is a mother figure to Twilight and she is helping her through this new stage of growth. So of course Twilight didnt have a choice at least no more than any of us have on going through puberty, or than any pony has of getting their cutie mark. This I think should be taken into consideration.

It is possible and perhaps likely that Celestia still has something greater planned for her. As to why she was chosen, well Celestia saw her potential at the school when Twilight went magic crazy. Seeing that potential Celestia offered to guide Twilight to reach it. It was a choice given one which Twilight enthusiastically jumped at the chance of. Celestia perhaps saw the potential in Twilight to become a person even greater than herself or her sister. A pony who would be great enough to fix the things she couldn't.  Bringing back Luna, Re defeating discord, and ultimately finding a way to defeat Sombra that didn't result in an entire race disappearing from reality. 

• Brohoof 3

You seem from the title to be of the position that Celestia and Celestia alone is what turned them into alicorns. However it isnt what is really indicated in the episode. It seems to be shown that becoming an alicorn is a form of ascension that occurs when a pony reaches a heightened or ultimate understanding of their special talent. Twilight did so by reaching and applying an ultimate understanding of the magic of friendship through the elements of harmony. Celestia didn't send Twilight to the higher magical plane Twilight reached it through her own actions by performing the spell. The energy that changed Twilight came from within her not from Celestia and its color was of Twilight's not Celestia's magic. That and the emotional tone and content of the song tell me that the transformation process was guided but not dictated by Celestia. Celestia is a mother figure to Twilight and she is helping her through this new stage of growth. So of course Twilight didnt have a choice at least no more than any of us have on going through puberty, or than any pony has of getting their cutie mark. This I think should be taken into consideration.

It is possible and perhaps likely that Celestia still has something greater planned for her. As to why she was chosen, well Celestia saw her potential at the school when Twilight went magic crazy. Seeing that potential Celestia offered to guide Twilight to reach it. It was a choice given one which Twilight enthusiastically jumped at the chance of. Celestia perhaps saw the potential in Twilight to become a person even greater than herself or her sister. A pony who would be great enough to fix the things she couldn't.  Bringing back Luna, Re defeating discord, and ultimately finding a way to defeat Sombra that didn't result in an entire race disappearing from reality. 

You know, reading all of this almost makes me think that Twilight made herself immortal, and in the process outliving all of her friends.

But other than that, with a new pair of wings, does that mean Twilight is immortal?  If not, then why the Hell would the writers have two one-thousand year-old alicorns, but two who are around young adulthood?

If they didn't make Celestia and Luna over one-thousand years old, I wouldn't have to worry about Twilight outliving her friends.  I mean, it's a friggin' children's cartoon based after toys for little girls!  There is no way they will ever reveal Twilight or Cadence's lifespans, not even in a Q&A panel of some convention!

You know, reading all of this almost makes me think that Twilight made herself immortal, and in the process outliving all of her friends.

But other than that, with a new pair of wings, does that mean Twilight is immortal?  If not, then why the Hell would the writers have two one-thousand year-old alicorns, but two who are around young adulthood?

If they didn't make Celestia and Luna over one-thousand years old, I wouldn't have to worry about Twilight outliving her friends.  I mean, it's a friggin' children's cartoon based after toys for little girls!  There is no way they will ever reveal Twilight or Cadence's lifespans, not even in a Q&A panel of some convention!

Its something that I think people need to realize probably wont be addressed. Most animated shows with children as an audience don't address death, at least not directly. There are of course exceptions Batman TAS and Batman Beyond dealt with it in some ways. Avatar Last Air Bender and Legend of Korra did briefly. However in MLP I think what we will get is an more symbolic look(shooting stars) at it or very brief views(Heart and Hooves day). In any case the main six wont die, at least not in cannon. If ever we were to get to a point were they were to address that they would probably find a way to make them immortal too. Though it almost certainly wont happen so...

However one should probably be looking at what is presented at the moment. From what was presented Twilight did not know what would happen. Nor does she immediately understand its implications asking if there is a book on the subject. She had a need to learn and understand that carried over into her acceptance of friendship hence the letters to Celestia. Her very nature lead her along this path of growth. One which the writers made sure to emphasize she earned. All she needed was a nudge here and there. This was an outcome that was always going to happen and if not alicorn we know for sure princess as Lauren Faust had said in the brony con doc interview. It doesn't matter whether she will outlive her friends right now as it probably wont be addressed and if it is it is highly unlikely to be this horrible sad Highlander like outcome. What does matter is to look at what is presented, what is there and analyze that.

As to why Celestia and Luna are so long lived...that's unknown. It seems there may be another "level" of alicorn though. Celestia and Luna have...well celestial manes whilst Twilight and Cadence don't. There's probably a reason for that. Of course at that point one roams off into head cannon.

I believe Cadence and Twilight won't outlive Shining Armor and the other five main ponies, respectively, though I have no proof other than Cadence as an adolescent when she foalsat Twilight.

It's been a while since I was paying attention to any of these threads. What, exactly, changed your mind from "Anyone who says Twilight isn't immortal is wrong! I don't know how, but they're wrong!" to, well, this?

It's been a while since I was paying attention to any of these threads. What, exactly, changed your mind from "Anyone who says Twilight isn't immortal is wrong! I don't know how, but they're wrong!" to, well, this?

It was because I was acting over-the-top emotional over seeing Twilight become imbalanced with her friends.  Right now, I'm over this, and even learned that there are some actual benefits to Twilight as an alicorn ruler, namely that she can use her newly-earned power for good, rather than for evil like most other rulers.

• 1 month later...