Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Hylian Creed... Or a More Mature Zelda

TanktheTortoise

21 users have voted

1. 1. Would you play a more mature Zelda title?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What was your favorite Zelda Game? (you can pick more than one)

• Zelda
    • Zelda 2
    • A Link to the Past
    • Link's Awakening
    • Ocarina of Time
    • Majora's Mask
    • Oracle of Ages/Seasons
    • Minish Cap
    • Wind Waker
    • Four Swords
    • The Zelda DS Series
    • Skyward Sword
    • Other (Post)
    • Twilight Princess (Don't know how I forgot this one)
  3. 3. Would you play a spinoff game like the rumored Sheik game?

• Yes
    • No

(edited)

http://gengame.net/2013/04/ubisoft-outs-hylian-creed-for-wii-u-to-be-released-april-2014/

img-1328659-1-hylian-creed.jpg

While I realize this is another April Fools prank I would have to say I would love to play this game!  Or the Zelda that was featured in 2011's tech demo for that matter.  Sad to say though Nintendo seems to be convinced that Zelda will only sell if marketed towards children a la Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.  While these were good games I would really like to see a more mature focused Zelda return like Majora's Mask.  And yes I know how dark the endings of both these other games are.  I just want an overall more mature theme and style.  Twilight Princess (pun unintended) was decent in styled, but I wasn't a fan of the fact that everything was brown looking.  Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past are the most popular games in the series for a reason.  I just don't understand why Nintendo can't understand that.

Edited by TanktheTortoise

(edited)

Hylian Creed would be amazing. I too, would like a mature Zelda game for once. My favorite in the series is Twilight Princess after all.

Ahem, you are forgetting Twilight Princess in your poll.

Edited by Blue_Moon

O.O

I would play that in a heartbeat. I also loved Ocarina of Time, it's the only Zelda game I've ever completed. I've doodled around in the other ones, but I didn't really get sucked into it like OoT.

Plus, I am in unshakeable denial that Sheik is actually Zelda. They are two completely different people, so Link can have that bratty princess and I can have that cowled hunk. <3

Hylian Creed would be amazing. I too, would like a mature Zelda game for once. My favorite in the series is Twilight Princess after all.

Ahem, you are forgetting Twilight Princess in your poll.

Dont know how I forgot Twilight Princess considering I even mentioned it in my post lol.  Poll updated but unsure how to add the ability to change your vote so as to include it.  @Artemis can you help with that?

Hylian Creed? I wouldn't touch that game with a 40ft pole. I want my Assassin's Creed to feel like Assassin's Creed and my Legend of Zelda to feel like Legend of Zelda. A combination of them is just awkward and unnecessary.

Now that I think about it, I like exactly where Legend of Zelda is on the maturity scale. I'd prefer they stay between Wind Waker and Majora's Mask territories. What's most important is that they don't lose that Legend of Zelda feeling; that's all I care about. 

• Brohoof 1

Well I'm not sure how Hylian Creed would be as a game, but a more mature Zelda game could work I guess.

However if its to dark or something I might not like it to be honest, I'm ok with some more dark, but personally I'm not a fan of to horrific or dark stuff.

I really haven't played as much Zelda as I should've, and I think the only one I really finished was Majoras mask so far. So I put that as my answer, I almost finished Ocarina of time, but for some reason I got frustrated with Gannon's temple and stopped playing it or something :P.

That's pretty much what TP was. And I don't think Majora's Mask was all that mature, just a little darker. I don't really care what they do with the next Zelda though, as long as it's fun.

LEL I SAW HYLIAN IN THE TITLE SO I JUST AUTOMATICALLY CLICKED IT

I'd play it. An M-rated (or something) Zelda game would be quite interesting. 

• Brohoof 1

I've always felt a matured Zelda universe would work well. I mean, I get that it's set up to feel like a childhood fairy tale of sorts, but it's also incredibly dark on all sorts of levels. Those crypts with the screaming mummies, the Happy-Mask salesman, the moon in Majora's Mask, the general sense of displacement and loneliness... the list goes on and on.

Plus, in early fantasy-like universes like Zelda where humanity is barely civilized and things like laws and justice hardly exist, a more matured sense of storytelling and atmosphere is almost obligatory. I don't necessarily mean just stuff like blood and gore (although there should be plenty of that), but more so, issues based around early ethics and conflicting personal morals of the inhabitants of the world. See Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings for examples of this.

• Brohoof 1

If there was an M-Rated game of Zelda, that would be pretty boss.  I feel like it would be something different thant the usual E - T ratings that it would usually get plus they would be able to describe quests more seriously

Ugh, no.

What would a "mature" Zelda game bring to the table? As far as I'm concerned, the games are already more mature than most of the Rated M nonsense that makes up the bulk of our AAA offerings these days.

Those crypts with the screaming mummies, the Happy-Mask salesman, the moon in Majora's Mask, the general sense of displacement and loneliness... the list goes on and on.

All of which is done quite comfortably within the existing limitations of the series.

I'm not interested at all, for some of the very same reasons that I enjoy Friendship is Magic so much - not everything needs to be mature or gritty.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

All of which is done quite comfortably within the existing limitations of the series.

I'm not interested at all, for some of the very same reasons that I enjoy Friendship is Magic so much - not everything needs to be mature or gritty.

Well, yeah. But Nintendo has been putting out Zelda for years now, and at this point the formula is pretty much standardized.

It wouldn't hurt to pull a DmC and experiment a little. New things are good, y'know, and I think Zelda in particular is a little more than overdue.

Edited by Equity
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, yeah. But Nintendo has been putting out Zelda for years now, and at this point the formula is pretty much standardized.

It wouldn't hurt to pull a DmC and experiment a little. New things are good, y'know, and I think Zelda in particular is a little more than overdue.

I don't disagree at all with that at all - I'd just prefer to see them go at it in a different direction. In my eyes, they would be taking the easy way out by jumping on the 'serious, gritty, hardcore, mature' bandwagon - I'd much rather that they challenge themselves by mixing things up in some other way.

We have too many games that chase after those themes as it is. Not everything needs to make that particular leap is my thought, is all.

Edited by Zoop
Note to self: posting on an empty stomach results in amusing typos.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't disagree at all with that at all - I'd just prefer to see them go at it in a different direction. In my eyes, they would be taking the easy way out by jumping on the 'serious, gritty, hardcore, mature' bandwagon - I'd much rather challenge themselves by mixing things up in some other way.

We have too many games that chase after those themes as it is. Not everything needs to make that particular leap is my thought, is all.

Good to hear that, then. It always bums me out when gamers aren't up for new things.

It sounds like you're talking about "mature" in a tonal sense. I meant in more of a storytelling sense - exploring characters and themes in a deeper and inevitably darker fashion (I think Twilight Princess hinted on this, but I'm not sure). Aesthetic choices like blood and gore hardly make a game, but yes, certainly, when developers push for that sort of maturity, you get games like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and I dunno what else... Shadow the Hedgehog?

Anyway, those sort of "bad-boy" themed games really never seem to go anywhere, so I can see why you'd want to stay clear of Zelda heading in that direction ;)

• Brohoof 1

It sounds like you're talking about "mature" in a tonal sense. I meant in more of a storytelling sense - exploring characters and themes in a deeper and inevitably darker fashion (I think Twilight Princess hinted on this, but I'm not sure). Aesthetic choices like blood and gore hardly make a game, but yes, certainly, when developers push for that sort of maturity, you get games like Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and I dunno what else... Shadow the Hedgehog?

Correct on that - I'd actually rather love for there to be more character exploration and such, and wouldn't mind some darker themes so long as they didn't drown things out completely - which is what I'd be worried about, to be honest. I'm probably a bit overly pessimistic, but I fear that if such changes were attempted they would be implemented in such a way that goes beyond what is needed for the sake of giving the series a breath of fresh air, and instead go far enough that it cuts into the overall charm of the series as it presently exists.

Basically, I'd prefer cautious steps taken toward a new direction, rather than a blind running leap into God knows what.

Anyway, those sort of "bad-boy" themed games really never seem to go anywhere, so I can see why you'd want to stay clear of Zelda heading in that direction

Bingo, heh.

• Brohoof 2

To clarify I was saying I would like a more mature game in regards to style and as others have said going more in depth with the characters.  Majora's Mask was my favorite in the series and still has yet to be supplanted.  I am not calling for an M rated game, but rather one truly worthy of T.  The more recent games have gotten a great deal lighter in tone overall.  I don't care for blood and gore, that isn't what I am after with Zelda anyway, but I would like a bit crisper presentation is all.  That and the return of Oni Link. :)