Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You think the show can be a tad more mature

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

Look I know it's a show for little girls. But why can't Hasbro cater to the bronies who made the franchise so successful? Look keep the songs, keep the lessons at the end hell. Do whatever. But I think it be cool if Hasbro made MLP similar to Transformers which is intended for 8 year old boys. I mean they can't kill some ponies off. They had a scene where some ponies were at a funeral. So they put death in the show, but they aren't going to kill someone on screen? Have some bad ass fight scenes. I love Canterlot Wedding and Return to Harmony. But they could have used some pretty awesome fights. I'm just saying in the later seasons make the show somewhat  darker

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

I see where your getting at, but just remember, this show is meant for little girls, despite the brony fandom.

Adding stuff like that would probably loose it's appeal or overall structure, and if they can, it has to be subtle, or in a way that everyone can agree on.

• Brohoof 3

That kind of takes away what the people of this fandom fell in love with in the first place.  The show already catered to the whole family, it doesn't need to be just for older people now.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe because some people like the show the way it is...? I think for a lot of fans one of the draws to the show is the fact that's it's not like most of the shows out there. Personally, I think what you're after would ruin the show. Yes, bronies have largely contributed to the series success, but just because the demographic has changed doesn't necessarily mean the show has to. /my two farthings

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I was wondering if Lauren Faust would start to cater to the older fan base and put more "mature"  (i.e. fight scenes, nothing bad) in the show, but then I thought it would lose what made it so popular.

^^what is a farthing? I just read Treasure Island and that word was in there a couple times. I could tell you what it meant from context, but I wanted to know exactly what it was.

Edited by Teh Lemonz
  • Brohoof 1

Keep in mind that the show attracted the fan base it has now because of what it is. I worry that they might try to do exactly what you're talking about and end up pandering to us in ways that diminish the show because they don't fully understand the appeal. I wouldn't mind bringing slightly more mature and complex themes into the show, but it needs be done with caution and in such a way that it doesn't make the show less accessible for the primary demographic. They already seem to be doing this to some degree, though.

• Brohoof 1

It's funny to think that the main reason this show is popular is... us. I agree with you by all means, give the majority what they want. I doubt that would happen but, a man can dream...

In some cases, it is mature. But if the show were to turn mature only, then the fandom would get affected in a way. The show wouldn't really change at all.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't mind bringing slightly more mature and complex themes into the show, but it needs be done with caution and in such a way that it doesn't make the show less accessible for the primary demographic.

A lot of people seem to underestimate young girls. They can handle it. :)

I'd love it if the show had a bit more respect for the audience. We're not complete idiots!

• Brohoof 2

^^what is a farthing? I just read Treasure Island and that word was in there a couple times. I could tell you what it meant from context, but I wanted to know exactly what it was.

Equal to a 1/4 of a cent (i.e. penny). So, now more than ever, worth nothing. :) I'm not implying that my opinion is worthless though. Because cents are now worthless also (in some countries). I don't know where I'm going with this. /facehoof

• Brohoof 1

A lot of people seem to underestimate young girls. They can handle it. smile.png

I'd love it if the show had a bit more respect for the audience. We're not complete idiots!

My concern is not so much that children couldn't understand or enjoy it, but rather that it could be done badly or in the wrong way and end up making the show less enjoyable for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

Equal to a 1/4 of a cent (i.e. penny). So, now more than ever, worth nothing. smile.png I'm not implying that my opinion is worthless though. Because cents are now worthless also (in some countries). I don't know where I'm going with this. /facehoof

Thanks for the knowledge. Any kindness always appreciated. *fillers* watermelon orange spaghetti Poptarts alligators space

• Brohoof 1

It already is mature. Have you watched Sleepless in Ponyville and Hurricane Fluttershy?

Do you mean "dark"? "Dark" and "mature" are two separate things.

I don't mind darker stories and themes every once in awhile, but only if it's handled with class and has meaning.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

They do cater. A week ago I was in Times Square, New York where the Toys R Us is an in the little girls' section they had lunch boxes, wallets, and stuff like that that said brony on them.

Edited by Dismajo

(edited)

It's not a bad idea and is one I'd welcome besides the fact that we are a huge part of the audience, little girls grow up. Look at how they have an older Dora character now to appeal more towards a slightly older audience.

doraexplorer_l-1202x321.jpg

So if little girls were 4 when they started watching, then they should be 8 by the time season 4 rolls around. Is it so wrong that a show that is ESTABLISHED shouldn't have plots that also grow with the intended audience US and THEM? Harry Potter storylines got progressively darker and more mature as time went along (an amazingly successful franchise) and while darkness is not needed, mature plots i think are. Hell i think that was the biggest thing missing in S3 writing was plotlines of the same caliber as the former 2 parters and later season 1 eps.

Again this franchise is successful through bronies and i don't want a show that can't cater to both of us. WE are all growing up and not getting any younger....so are little girls watching the show

They do cater. A week ago I was in Times Square, New York where the Toys R Us is an in the little girls' section they had lunch boxes, wallets, and stuff like that that said brony on them.

Correct but that's merchandise. They have stuff for bronies at Hot Topic not targeted at all to little girls, right? If they keep the show so that plotlines are too simple and not enjoyable to an audience that's older then we won't be buying all that merchandise intended DIRECTLY for US. They can't have their cake and eat it too. Again Lauren is gone but I hope her spirit still remains and they keep their plotlines to the same caliber as seasons 1+2.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Look I know it's a show for little girls. But why can't Hasbro cater to the bronies who made the franchise so successful? Look keep the songs, keep the lessons at the end hell. Do whatever. But I think it be cool if Hasbro made MLP similar to Transformers which is intended for 8 year old boys. I mean they can't kill some ponies off. They had a scene where some ponies were at a funeral. So they put death in the show, but they aren't going to kill someone on screen? Have some bad ass fight scenes. I love Canterlot Wedding and Return to Harmony. But they could have used some pretty awesome fights. I'm just saying in the later seasons make the show somewhat  darker

I don't watch adventure time, but to my knowledge they did an absolutely heartbreaking episode a year back , and my thoughts now is why mlp can't do that?

Make a serious episode, like snowdrop.

Or an episode with a higher concept... Dare I say a parody of something like inception or the matrix ( anything really)

I don't watch adventure time, but to my knowledge they did an absolutely heartbreaking episode a year back , and my thoughts now is why mlp can't do that?

Make a serious episode, like snowdrop.

Or an episode with a higher concept... Dare I say a parody of something like inception or the matrix ( anything really)

I want them to kill Celestia off this season or next season. This is the only way Twilight can become ruler of Equestria. Hasbro killed off Optimus Prime a lot. When Optimus died he passed the matrix of leadership to Ultramagmus. Celestia dying could benefit the show. It will end the mentor relationship with Twilight, thus Twilight will will learn a lot from losing a mother figure in her life and she will truly mature

I think the show is great as it is, but I wish a little more adult situation could be added at times. Sponge Bob pulled it off and no one sued them.

(edited)

Well my friend the reason they don't 'cater to the bronies that made the show so successful' is that most bronies are outside the target audience, and I for one don't want to be pandered to. A wink and a nod or two to the brony community is cool once and a while but we shouldn't be catered to, if you want to watch someone more appropriate for your age there's lots of other shows out there.

Edited by Guest

I want them to kill Celestia off this season or next season. This is the only way Twilight can become ruler of Equestria. Hasbro killed off Optimus Prime a lot. When Optimus died he passed the matrix of leadership to Ultramagmus. Celestia dying could benefit the show. It will end the mentor relationship with Twilight, thus Twilight will will learn a lot from losing a mother figure in her life and she will truly mature

Sorry that sounds like a bad idea. While Twi may ultimately be Celestia's successor I don't think that should happen within the show unless Hasbro insists that SHOULD occur. I just want the same show that was entertaining, emotional, and full of adventure like in season 2 and late season 1. Less shows about Spike, taking care of animals, and maybe some new and old dangers. If there's no villains then there's less of a sense of danger or adventure.

• Brohoof 1

Kill off Celestia...you're kidding, right?

Why not simply love it for what it already is? After all, would we all be here if we didn't already love the show? It is fine as it is. And they do handle more mature themes on occasion.

I think you're saying "mature" when what you mean is "dark". Those are not the same thing.

• Brohoof 1

Are you kidding me?  Death in My Little Pony?  What the hay is wrong with you ponies?   I like watching ponies because the show is funny and adorable.  There's no need for it to be dark or more mature.  It just needs clever story-telling and good acting which it already has, to be a good show.   No pony needs to die.   There are already some references in the show that are mature for little girls any way.

• Brohoof 1

I personally think a few more action scenes like those of Canterlot Wedding etc. wouldn't hurt the show at all, if anything it would make it overall more exciting, regardless of who the viewer is. To parrot what @Circadian said, let's give little girls some credit here. They're not all into the typical girly-girl, 'pretty princess' aspect of TV shows geared towards them. If anything, I think an increase in shows that depict strong female characters kicking ass from time to time will serve to "bring out the tomboy" in a lot of girls, so to speak...which, frankly, I am in 120% support of.

Now, to parrot what everyone else is saying, I don't think they should go overboard with it by any means, for fear of overshadowing the qualities that made the show great to begin with. IMO, for every great show, a balance must be sought between pleasing the existing fanbase and making creative adjustments that'll broaden the fanbase. Whether they can pull it off is really up to how talented the writers are...and since we already know they're pretty damn talented, I'd be fairly optimistic towards such an endeavor.

• Brohoof 1