Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most Mature Episode of FiM?

Malarkey

In your opinion, what is the most mature episode of Friendship is Magic? Mature can mean different things for different people, so just go with what comes to you personally.

The two-part finale to Season 5 is a good choice, I must say. Seeing a gloomy timeline where Equestria is at war really distressed me the first time I saw it. Rainbow Dash all scarred up, Applejack making canned apples, every last pony in Equestria needing to contribute to the war, etc... And it's painful thinking those timelines might actually still exist in alternate universes. I think these episodes are better described by the word "dark" than "mature" however.

So I'm also going to choose Common Ground. Sure, it didn't have the most complex writing and humor, but the theme was serious and grounded in reality. Kids having to get accustomed to a parent's new partner is a very real struggle and the episode handled it well. Notably, it focused moreso on Quibble Pants instead of the kid, which makes it an episode that adults going through a similar situation can relate to.

I look forward to hearing your answers!

• Brohoof 5

Too many episodes to choose from.

I want to do some filtering to my options, so I would say "the most mature episode when Lauren Faust was still in charge of FIM" is:

Lesson Zero.

• Brohoof 2

Cutie Remark is more edgy than mature, between the out of place "alternate timelines" and Starlight's laughably poor backstory explaining her actions

I actually agree with Common Ground though

• Brohoof 4

The Mane Attraction is pretty mature when you look at just how badly Svengallop was treating Rara. It showed how some people could make others their puppet for their own gains. Now that is really a tough pill to swallow there. 

Ponyville Confidential is also on the mature side due to again, just how much the whole gossiping affected the entire town of Ponyville. What was supposed to be a fun thing, nearly caused everyone to abandon the CMC and leave them be...and we cannot leave Diamond Tiara out of the picture. 

As whimsical and funny Feeling Pinkie Keen is, it's a pretty mature episode, because while there are many things that can be explained, there are things that just exist, like Pinkie. The "doozy" was Twilight fully accepting Pinkie for who she is no matter what quirks Pinkie has. Pinkie is Pinkie and that's it. 

• Brohoof 2

Every writer have their own "mature" episode so to speak:

Meghan McCarthy: Lesson Zero.

M.A. Larson: Ponyville Confidential, and The Cutie Map Part 1 and Part 2. And a few others as well, not forgetting Fame and Misfortune (released way after M.A. Larson quit).

Amy Keating Rogers: The Mane Attraction.

Josh Haber: The Cutie Re-Mark Part 1 and Part 2.

There is a hint of the writer's own idea of maturity in them. But they are definitely aimed for older audiences of the show!

Then we have the humor/joke writers, Nick Confolone and Michael Vogel, that have their share amount of mature jokes, but usually thrown in quickly so that children don't notice them. :ButtercupLaugh:  Sneaky and funny!

I kinda see a downgrade in maturity starting at Season 9 (death and action scenes are not counted, as they are animators and not story, yea)

• Brohoof 1

The Perfect Pear, for sure, in my opinion. They may not have explicitly described Applejack's parents as being dead, but still, it's a reality-grounded episode about looking back at the past and coping with the loss of family, whether you're young or old. 

• Brohoof 5

3 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The Perfect Pear, for sure, in my opinion. They may not have explicitly described Applejack's parents as being dead, but still, it's a reality-grounded episode about looking back at the past and coping with the loss of family, whether you're young or old. 

The only reason I didn't think about that episode is because it is still hiding the true fact that they are dead, and how it happened. If they had told us in the episode, it would have been the most mature of them all, period.

• Brohoof 2

Flutter Brutter. The episode is about trying to help someone with a tendency to sabotage themselves because of a fear of failure. That's pretty serious and it's not exactly sugarcoated. The episode implies that if Rainbow and Fluttershy didn't help him, Zephyr would've died in the forest.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

The only reason I didn't think about that episode is because it is still hiding the true fact that they are dead, and how it happened.

The Perfect Pear makes it very clear throughout that they're dead without saying the word, notably the flashbacks, them not being around, past-tense usage, and especially the tragedy surrounding Grand Pear.

And the tragedy aspect is one big reason why it's arguably the most mature episode. When Grand Pear disowned Pear Butter at the altar, that was the last time he ever saw her alive. She died when their relationship was so fractured, leaving Granny Smith rightfully bitter towards him. Unfortunately, that bitterness meant Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and Applejack had no true memories of how they met, fell in love, and lived. This episode could've gone down just the sad aspect of death throughout, but instead went a different route, telling folks it's okay to grieve, remember, and forgive. Grand Pear lived a long time regretting a mistake he couldn't repair, and their kids not only forgave him, but convinced Granny to welcome him to the family, too.

• Brohoof 3

interesting question :) 

for me, Season 5 eps 1 and 2 had the most darkest theme (of oppression) and the most mature message - that friendship isn't nice

it also had catchy tunes :3

ooh @Sparklefan1234 and @Splasheeamending fences too. Recognition of your own responsibility for hurting others is basically the definition of maturity

@MalarkeyCommon Ground is an interesting choice. I agree it is mature, with its subtext of getting on with your mother's new stallion (in reality your dad's new wife)

• Brohoof 2

Surprised that no one has mentioned Testing Testing or Rarity Takes Manehattan yet, two of S4's most mature episodes. Testing Testing talked about how just because someone can't work in one studying or school system doesn't mean they're dumb or a loser. Everyone learns in their own, unique way. While RTM describes how Suri's blatant plagiarism made Rarity question her generosity. Therefore, she had to learn to maintain those qualities and remind herself to not abandon them.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Testing Testing talked about how just because someone can't work in one studying or school system doesn't mean they're dumb or a loser. Everyone learns in their own, unique way.

And that is precisely the reason why that episode is the number one most related episode to me from start to finish. When I'm not seeing myself in Rainbow Dash (the Mane 6 ponies that I considered the least like me), I could identify with Twilight and how she discovered there's actually more styles of studying than what she usually does.

If anyone asked which episode is your best Twilight and Rainbow spotlight episode, it's this one

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I'll echo a couple of other users and say The Cutie Re-Mark. Wasn't a huge fan of the episode itself, but it did follow through a much more serious angle than what you'd typically expect.

• Brohoof 2

Most mature huh?... Honestly, I think I'd judge that based on the episode's moral and how mature it is. (In my opinion at least)

So I think I'm gonna have to give it to Stranger Than Fanfiction and It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

"Tanks for the Memories" Poor Rainbow went through a lot in that episode. Her grief caused her to destroy a whole factory in a misguided attempt to save her beloved Tank from hibernation. 

Hide contents

Death?

To be fair the five stages of grief don't necessarily have to involve death it could be something as simple as somebody moving away or in this case somebody's going to go into hibernation and will be missing out on some winter fun

• 6 months later...

Probably "Tanks for the Memories" since it deals with the theme of the five stages of grief. Although there is no actual death, it resonates as if there was a loss. This is a maturity of the mind, though, not the M+ maturity that most people are thinking of.