Change in Rating?

limesugar

I heard a rumor on YouTube that in season 4 the rating will change from TV-Y to TV-G.  Does anyone know if this is true or not.  Personally I wouldn't really mind this because this could allow them to do more stuff and be more open than they were in the other seasons.

Rumors are rumors, but if that were true, that'd be fairly interesting. Meghan Mcarthy did use the word 'ambitious' as one of the descriptions for S4 in her Twitter interviews, so it's always worth keeping your eye out. It would be nice to see some more legitimate fights along the lines of what was seen in Canterlot Wedding, and for slightly more mature themes to be touched upon in plots as well. That said, the show shouldn't stray too far from where it started, less it lose its' goal. I for one don't at all mind the show taking liberties to try and include us into their demographic a little more, just so long as their primary audience, kids, remains satisfied as well. Only worth it if everyone wins.

• Brohoof 6

Rumors are rumors, but if that were true, that'd be fairly interesting. Meghan Mcarthy did use the word 'ambitious' as one of the descriptions for S4 in her Twitter interviews, so it's always worth keeping your eye out. It would be nice to see some more legitimate fights along the lines of what was seen in Canterlot Wedding, and for slightly more mature themes to be touched upon in plots as well. That said, the show shouldn't stray too far from where it started, less it lose its' goal. I for one don't at all mind the show taking liberties to try and include us into their demographic a little more, just so long as their primary audience, kids, remains satisfied as well. Only worth it if everyone wins.

Indeed. I worry about changing things, not because of the content, but because of the concept. It always has to start somewhere - "We'll just expand our ratings a tiny bit, so that we can allow XYZ material to be in the show."

Eight months later, it's the same story, but they add a tiny bit more. Eventually you reach a place where anything and everything is acceptable, and that's where it breaks.

Now, I'm not saying that this is what would happen, but that's my general take on these kinds of things.

I doubt they'll change that, considering the direction it's under. With the youngest demographic being somewhere being three to six years old, the show's change of rating to TV-G runs the risk of scaring the guardians and parents off. TV-G programs have a reputation of not being suitable for anyone that young an age to watch on their own because the content tends to be more mature than TV-Y programs. I don't think the writers nor Hasbro want to scare the youngest demographics' guardians away from watching My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Also, the rumors are exactly that — rumors. Even if they may be true, never heed them, especially if there's no profound evidence to back it up.

They should change the rating to TV-MA

Isn't TV-Y basically the same thing as TV-G? Or is one of them a lower rating? I'm not exactly sure how those ratings work.

TV-Y is the lowest TV rating of them all and has the strictest content rating of them all.

Anything with TV-Y must be friendly with anyone younger than seven years old without the need of a parent or guardian. Fantasy violence, crude humor, foul language (light or heavy), perilous horror, and shock-value content are forbidden in TV-Y shows.

TV-G is a soft PG rating if compared to the ratings in the movies. TV-G shows allow a bit more mature-graphic content and have looser restrictions on crude language (i.e., toilet humor, some non-fantasy violence, light swearwords, lighter mature words like using the word "sex" under its many versions, and some heavier romance).

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Who knows what will happen. Although I'm a bit doubtful of that kind of change because of Hasbro. We all know how restrictive Hasbro is with its franchises.

Hopefully we do get more legit fighting scenes like The Canterlot Wedding battle with the Changelings. If they can show necks snapping (Lesson Zero) Im sure they can do simple fight scenes.

I don't really see a change in rating. It's more of a rumor in my opinion, the only way they would make a change in ratings is if Hasbro decided to restrict on some things in the show. So I think that, there won't be a change.

I would not doubt it. This generation is unlike the others.

There are monsters, demons, and shape shifting villians. So, some scenes may be to intense for younger audiences. Also, with the sound of Season 4, this should be packed with TV-G goodness!

/)

That would be pretty interesting! I would like to see what they do with the show if this were true...

I just hope that they keep the same message and themes that we all know and love, so they do not end up with the sad fate of other great shows in the past... sad.png

I really, really hope this is true.

I'm not one of those guys who thinks the show wants the show too dark or edgy, but a TV-G rating would mean that Hasbro is confident enough in the fact that not just one demographic watches the show and is allowing Studio B to get more ambitious, as McCarthy has stated.

It could mean more mature (not dark, there is a difference between maturity and being dark for the sake of being dark) stories and character developments.

Though I guess it'd be cool to see what the writers can get away with, keeping in mind that they have already gotten away with slavery.

Well, I doubt it would make any difference. If I remember corectly, I'm pretty sure Dexter's Laboratory was rated TV-G. It's not like they're going add a bunch of blood and gore..  

Though I guess it'd be cool to see what the writers can get away with, keeping in mind that they have already gotten away with slavery.

Slavery? huh.png

OH! Do you mean in The Crystal Empire? Okay, I get it now :P

Anyway, OT, I definitely wouldn't mind a change in rating for MLP. Some more mature scenes would be wonderful. :D

As long as they stick to the main theme of the show. :)

• Brohoof 1

i'd be great if the could bring it up to say.....tiny toons or animaniacs content wise.

they really played fast and loose with the network censors lol.

given hasbros restrictions though seems unlikely. even if this rumor turns out to be true.

and as was already mentioned if they start down that path it could unravel what makes the show great, so that's A pretty tough call. if they can keep the integrity of the show intact while adding some maturity then I'm all for it.

Edited by CycloneRyder

I'm on board with it, although I have no idea if it will actually happen or not. I don't know much about Hasbro, so I have no idea how lenient they'll be with the Hub writers.