Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony here not like being called a brony/pegasister?

Tollhouse

I don't know about anypony else but I don't like to be referred to as a brony, but I use the word unfortunately because everypony is using it. If somepony asks me if I'm a brony, I simply say I just like to watch ponies. It pretty much falls into that logic where you're a fan of something but that fandom doesn't have a name for itself, I think. Like Star Wars. There isn't really a brony equvilant for Star Wars fans.

And I'm not trying to flame or anything so please don't be hating. So, I'm just wondering if anypony else is like that too, and that I'm not alone on this. I have nothing against anypony; I just myself as an individual prefer not be called that. That's all.

Edited by Tollhouse
  • Brohoof 4

I do actually dislike being called a "Brony". Don't get me wrong, I love the fandom, the show, and the fan generated material. I'm the biggest "Brony" I know in real life, and use the term on myself for humorous reasons frequently. But on a more serious level, I have an issue with labels like this in general, including "Brony". I don't understand why I can't just like something without having a special name.

• Brohoof 2

I don't really care one way or the other, brony or fan it makes no difference to me because they basically mean the same thing. Sure brony refers to a fan of a particular show about cartoon ponies, but so long as we all know what we are talking about I see no reason to really sweat the small stuff.

I don't think you need to like the name of the fandom you're in. Personally, I just don't like the sound of the word. When I think of bros, I think of bromances like the guys from Hangover and stuff. XD

Back when I first realized that MLP wasn't a bad show, I didn't want to be called a brony either.  It wasn't really that I didn't like the name, it's just that I would associate being a brony with being a fanatic, and thought of it more as a derogatory term than anything else.  I would say, "I'm not a brony, I just think that MLP is a good show."  That's not exactly the case though anymore.  I don't really mind being called a brony anymore, unless the person is using the term as an insult.

The way my mind works is by creating categories and titles and all of that. Kind of like folders and files in a computer, I personally arrange my thoughts, people I know, feelings, etc all into what are like little "folders."

Essentially, it's not that I really do like or dislike the term "brony," moreso that I feel the need to almost generalize everything pony into that label, which (I guess ) means that I do like being called a brony.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind it casually, but when having a serious discussion I find that it undermines my credibility, so in such cases I avoid using that term. Nothing says that I'm not credible like labeling myself with a pun.

But in day to day speak, I do not mind it at all.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 2

I am a girl, and I despise the name Pegasister. It just sounds dumb. Like, I won't hate on someone if they refer to themselves as that, but it's like... MLP IS a girl's show, you don't need a special name to be a fan. Brony is a combination of Bro + Pony, to signify the male and thus outside the demographic fans of the series. Besides, I feel like Brony is like the word 'dude', it's masculine but can be used for either gender.

Anyway, those are just labels, and I don't feel anyone should be pressured to use them if they don't want to.

• Brohoof 2

I am a girl, and I despise the name Pegasister. It just sounds dumb. Like, I won't hate on someone if they refer to themselves as that, but it's like... MLP IS a girl's show, you don't need a special name to be a fan. Brony is a combination of Bro + Pony, to signify the male and thus outside the demographic fans of the series. Besides, I feel like Brony is like the word 'dude', it's masculine but can be used for either gender.

Anyway, those are just labels, and I don't feel anyone should be pressured to use them if they don't want to.

This is most of what I wanted to say, though with some slight differences. I agree with the part about girls not needing a special name. (Because you know, everyone forgets about the fact that the show is for us.) And brony actually meaning fans who are male and outside of the target demographic. BUT! I do NOT think it is gender neutral. I don't believe that females need a special name for themselves and that INCLUDES the phrase brony. I consider brony a special name. I think because they are who you expect to like the show, and because of what I believe brony means and implies, (a subculture outside the norm, so to speak) girls are just... fans of MLP.

But yeah, brony? I hate that word, first off. The way it sounds makes me think of some super crazy idiot fan. (I obviously know that's not true, but it makes me think of it. I do not like the word "bro") I dislike it more when it's applied to females, because it makes no sense to me at all due to those few sentences I just said above. And since I am a female, I especially get rather irritated when somebody calls me that. I don't mind pegasister too much, as it is certainly a better alternative, but I also think it is a stupid name and ultimately pointless. Can I not just be an MLP fan? That's pretty much what I call myself. Don't really see why I need a fancy name or anything. 

(By the way: You guys can believe it's gender neutral if you wish. But that's my personal belief. And I'm really not going to change my mind about it. I've had many people already try to pry and convince me that it was, and I didn't really go for it.)

• Brohoof 1

I personally prefer the term 'brony' than 'pegasister', tbh. xD   As much as I love pegasusess, 'pegasister' sounds a bit weird/lame in a way, imo. And I don't really call myself a brony.. but if anyone asks me if I am one, then I say yes. ._. 

I don't like to identify myself as a "brony" because I don't like being associated with the stereotype attached to that term. I have nothing against people who call themselves bronies, but I personally don't think I need to label myself to be a fan of something. I mean, I love heavy metal, but would never call myself a metalhead because of the stereotype.

Come to think of it, I don't actually call myself a brony or a pegasister. I do not mind the names, but I don't go out of my way to say that I am either. I do use the term brony a lot, but I use it to refer to fellow fans of the show.

I do know a couple of people IRL who do not like being called a brony, but one of them doesn't like labels in general, another feels like brony is a negative term, and another doesn't feel like a big enough fan of the show to be called a brony. I say that all 3 of them are bronies, but if they don't like being called a brony, that is their choice.

and another doesn't feel like a big enough fan of the show to be called a brony.

The friend that introduced me to ponies feels the same way, he dosen't hate the term or bronies or anything like that but just feels he is not big enough of a fan to justify calling himself a brony. And when I first got into the show I felt the same way for a little while but then just thought "I am thinking about ponies all the time, yeah it sounds like I probably am." Of course my definition of what a brony is has gotten a lot broader since then but the word seems to mean different thing to different people.

• Brohoof 2

I'm totally fine with being a brony, I don't really mind what people call me to be honest hehe.

I do like to be able to have something to refer to the fandom as, instead of saying something like, pony fandom or something :P.

I don't mind it in any way personally.

I don't really like being referred to as a brony and a pegasister. Unless it's by someone with very little knowledge of the fandom, who may have just heard of bronies as people who like that new My Little Pony show. In those situations I feel it's a little silly to go and say "well technically I'm not a brony because I feel yadda yadda..." and go into inner-fandom rants that they probably won't care about and would just make me look incredibly nerdy :'D

But from the beginning I never felt that I fit in with the brony crowd, especially since I couldn't...really care less about the fandom. I actually dislike a lot more of the fandom than I like, but hey that's kinda me with every fandom out there. I make pony drawings on my own sometimes, but those are for me. The only interaction I have with the fandom is through the very little I post on here, and another much smaller forum that I help admin. I lurk on the My Little Pony Arena far more, but most of the people there have been pony fans for years and years, and they generally call themselves MLP collectors or fans, rather than going with a brony label.

And I do find it silly, having a need to create a super-special and cool name for people...that just watch My Little Pony. It's like...silly :'D I often find that with shows, books, movies, etc., that I enjoy, I end up much more happier when I'm enjoying it at my own pace alone or with friends rather than this big 'fandom' entity :)

I don't have a problem with the term, and I'll use it if it works in the current situation, but I do tend to not use it(much the same way as with the word furry), it's just easier to explain "I like ponies" then it is to explain a fandom nickname.

In the end I consider it more of a passive term you only use around people who understand it, much the same way you don't know call yourself a nerd unless you're in the company of people that understand. 

I don't really think about it either way. I don't use either term because I don't talk about it much at all and it generally doesn't come up in conversation anyways. I guess I don't really care for those terms, but there's not many other titles that would fit. Getting a name like that just comes with being part of a fandom. 

I'm not open about my appreciation of mlp irl, so it's not something I'd call myself around friends or family, though I'd consider myself a "pegasister" and find the term endearing. I actually like social labels because I think they give a community a feeling of unification. :)

I think the term 'brony' is really cute. When I first heard it, I thought it specifically meant "guys who are into my little pony," which of course I love the idea of. It seems to be used pretty loosely these days though and I find it a bit awkward. In fact, at the beginning I thought that girls who liked MLP were called just 'ponies' and guys who liked MLP were called 'bronies'. I personally never use the term "pegasister" because it sounds awkward and not as subtle and clever as "brony" to me. To some degree, for better or worse, it's almost an automatic assumption that girls like MLP, so the term for guys--the 'exception to the rule' (blegh, gender rules, yuckh) in a female-dominated franchise--seemed particularly fitting. But really I don't mind either way :)

Edited by Domnopalus

Meh I don't actually mind the Coin tossed work any more. After 2 days in a Convention and every pony blurting it out. Actually I was kind of proud to hear that when mothers called there sons that as well as referring to me as well

(my son is brony and I would love to have a photo of him next to you)

in my books. epic parents!

----

for a bonus if you havn;t seen my latest video check it out... listen to how many times the word "brony" was said

also a real "brony" is well respected even if they people are not fans them selves

Edited by MadDoggyca

I am a female and answer to both, however i prefer just Brony.Don't get me wrong i do like Pegasister, it just Brony is clever and rolls off the tongue better. that is my opinion

I prefer to call myself Prothers, ponies brother.

The name itself is dumb, and I no longer identify myself as one of the diehard fans. I'm pretty much okay with bashing ponies if the situation calls for it.