Why do people complain about "how bad music is today"?

Le Kvlt Dawn

Most of it is online "popularity", and since the internet is anonymous, this kind of defeats its own purpose. These are the small minded individuals who require validation of their self-perceived superior taste who band together as the loudest group on the internet. Mostly just silly fools that you can ignore. 

• Brohoof 2

I believe it's because the music industry of today doesn't care if one has real raw talent, if they won't appeal or change to be something mainstream and pop they won't have a chance in hell of becoming much. Take Justin Bieber, the kid had a talent for guitar and the industry took the poor soul, wiped him clean of his former identity, gave him a new identity and now he has to live how the industry tells him to as they see him as a cash cow and nothing more. A lot of people today, mostly younger people, only want to listen to happy music made by happy people too, they don't want 'real' music sung by people expressing real emotion (take Leona Lewis's cover of Run by the Arctic Monkeys, everyone I've ever met has preferred her version even though she's only bothered about hitting the notes rather than showing any depth). Parents only want sterilised, clean, pop stars for their children to listen to and so the mainstream music industry caters to that. We are the only generation that hasn't had a real controversial music celebrity. Sorry if this generally doesn't come together into a full argument, I'm just rambling away here.

Edited by Enigma
  • Brohoof 1

But seriously though, that's pretty much the only reason I don't like most music nowadays is that everything is too similar. They all follow the same formula rather than do something different. 

Well as I mentioned before not all of the producers out there are just trying to remake what's already been made. Though the only electronic musicians I can name off are guys who don't produce EDM, and do much more experimental music. Guys like Flying Lotus, The Knife, Daedelus, Richard Devine etc. get buried under everything that's crap

• Brohoof 1

The only thing I dont like about "Todays Music" is the way it is categorized. 

For example, if you go on to iTunes, you will see that there is a "Pop Music" section. This absolutely baffles me. We lump all of this music in to one category, and call it the 'Popular music'. It is almost as if it implies that other music is not popular, or can not be popular. It just seems a little elitist on the part of the mainstream media. I could talk about how it all "sounds the same" as well, but that is truly a matter of preference. 

I also do not think the themes that most music conveys is appropriate. We constantly expose people to sex, parties, drugs, violence, and other such things, and then we are all baffled when some 12 year old is on weed or drunk, or we all get confused when there is some teenage pregnancy. It just seems a bit stupid to me. 

Thats all I have to say about that...

Sidenote: Macklemore - Thrift shop is best Pop Music. Otherwise, if its not in the alternative category, it is garbage. 

• Brohoof 2

There's always been music about drugs and partying and rebelling, and it's always popular. This isn't a recent phenomena. Just look at hair metal.

Kanye West? Jay-Z? They sound exactly the same to me!

that's because Kanye West often produces for Jay-Z and they do lots of collaborations? Kanye and Jay are actually more innovative than a lot of others rappers.

• Brohoof 2

As generations of music pass on, the music changes differently over the years.

I do tend to complain about most music, but not all.

There are numerous music and soundtracks that are either unheard of or underrated.

I guess the reason people hate most music of today is because it's consistently played until it looses appeal, which can get annoying.

Final statement, I do hate some music of today, but not all. 

• Brohoof 1

These are the small minded individuals who require validation of their self-perceived superior taste who band together as the loudest group on the internet. Mostly just silly fools that you can ignore. 

We have a special name for people like that, they're called "elitists".

We constantly expose people to sex, parties, drugs, violence, and other such things

There's always been music about drugs and partying and rebelling, and it's always popular. This isn't a recent phenomena. Just look at hair metal.

Now that I think of it, I'm really happy to live in a time without groups like the PMRC. Could you imagine if out of nowhere a similar group sprung up over night?

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think of it, I'm really happy to live in a time without groups like the PMRC. Could you imagine if out of nowhere a similar group sprung up over night?

Oh god... the PMRC... Freakin' Tipper Gore... Yeah, there's a reason we don't limit music here in AMURRIKA. Firstly because that would be a blatant violation of the first amendment, and secondly because it's just a stupid idea to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

The problem with people who like older music is they are only listening to the good not the bad. If you cherry pick just the best songs of course your going to think the 60's,70's,80's, ect. had the best music.

Oh god... the PMRC... Freakin' Tipper Gore... Yeah, there's a reason we don't limit music here in AMURRIKA. Firstly because that would be a blatant violation of the first amendment, and secondly because it's just a stupid idea to begin with.

Oh, let's not forget that people tried blaming Nine Inch Nails for causing Columbine. Bleahhh... I hate it when people come up with stupid shit like that to say.

• Brohoof 1

The problem with people who like older music is they are only listening to the good not the bad. If you cherry pick just the best songs of course your going to think the 60's,70's,80's, ect. had the best music.

Really buddy? You sure you wanna start this? I could blow your mind with obscure old music if I wanted to. Have you ever heard of Dion and the Belmonts? How about Clarence Henry? You want some bad stuff? "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" - Corey Hart, "We Built This City" - Jefferson Starship, "MacArthur Park" - George Harris, "Mr. Roboto" - Styx.

Edited by Jimmy Carter

I'm 14 and people would say my taste in music is Not the "norm",

My favorite music is Jazz, Blues and Rock, specifically music in that genre from the 60's to the late 70's. My favorite band is the beetles. I dislike Pop and Rap music on a whole, but that doesn't I don't like people who like it, I just find it irritating to listen to. The flip-side to that is I can listen to Buddy Holly and still like it Even though many people would say that is it horrible.

There has always been songs about sex, Drug and crap, so that's not really that of an Important point

One valid point to make is the opposite of yours. What is wrong with The music of the Previous eras? Many people on the Internet,Young people, complain when people Rant and Rave about the 70's and the 80's music, so it's Important to see The standpoint of both sides, rather than making a biased comment.

In short, I neither disagree nor agree with you. I just think it's Important that people see both sides of the argumentimg-1403527-1-laugh.png

Edited by Toa of Ponies

Really buddy? You sure you wanna start this? I could blow your mind with obscure old music if I wanted to. Have you ever heard of Dion and the Belmonts? How about Clarence Henry? You want some bad stuff? "I Wear My Sunglasses At Night" - Corey Hart, "We Built This City" - Jefferson Starship, "MacArthur Park" - George Harris, "Mr. Roboto" - Styx.

Whoa buddy slow your shit. Just talking about the people that bitch about music now verses then and if you just pick the best the worst gets left behind. And I like I wear my sunglasses at night not as good as Electric Avenuebut I will still rock out to it at the bar.laugh.png

I'm 14 and people would say my taste in music is Not the "norm",

My favorite music is Jazz, Blues and Rock, specifically music in that genre from the 60's to the late 70's. My favorite band is the beetles. I dislike Pop and Rap music on a whole, but that doesn't I don't like people who like it, I just find it irritating to listen to. The flip-side to that is I can listen to Buddy Holly and still like it Even though many people would say that is it horrible.

There has always been songs about sex, Drug and crap, so that's not really that of an Important point

One valid point to make is the opposite of yours. What is wrong with The music of the1 Previous eras? Many people on the Internet,Young people, complain when people Rant and Rave about the 70's and the 80's music, so it's Important to see The standpoint of both sides, rather than making a biased comment.

In short, I neither disagree nor agree with you. I just think it's Important that people see both sides of the argumentimg-1403527-1-laugh.png

*sigh* You say that your taste in music isn't "normal", yet you mention that The Beatles are your favorite band. Look, I'm 15 and I listen to everything from The Velvet Underground to Napalm Death. I don't view my taste as "weird". As for your "opposite argument", I said in the first line of my OP that I like both eras of music.

*sigh* You say that your taste in music isn't "normal", yet you mention that The Beatles are your favorite band. Look, I'm 15 and I listen to everything from The Velvet Underground to Napalm Death. I don't view my taste as "weird". As for your "opposite argument", I said in the first line of my OP that I like both eras of music.

That wasn't directed at you,The "opposite argument" part. It was directed at others who may have a Biased opinion on the matter.

As for my tastes, Its just like that in my area, None of my friends or classmates, would even consider listening to the music I like

As for my tastes, Its just like that in my area, None of my friends or classmates, would even consider listening to the music I like

Well that's your problem, I've met plenty of people my age who are familiar with Buddy Holly. I even have a friend who likes his music, he also like bands like The Pixies and Sonic Youth.
  • Brohoof 1

That's what many people like about Tool they have a very interesting and weird kind of sound to them. I own Lateralus and 10,000 Days, both of which are awesome albums though out of the two of them I preferred Lateralus. As for ISIS I'd say start off with their album Wavering Radiant, it's the easiest of their albums to get into.

Aenima is another great album by Tool. It's the only album I own of theirs, and it was totally worth the money. Granted, I got it from a garage sale, but still, great album. Any album that has a song titled "Hooker With a Penis" is worth at least a curiosity listen.

• Brohoof 1

Aenima is another great album by Tool. It's the only album I own of theirs, and it was totally worth the money. Granted, I got it from a garage sale, but still, great album. Any album that has a song titled "Hooker With a Penis" is worth at least a curiosity listen.

I have Undertow and Aenima, both great albums in my opinion. My favorite Tool song would either be "Intolerance" or "Prison Sex".

Whoa buddy slow your shit. Just talking about the people that bitch about music now verses then and if you just pick the best the worst gets left behind. And I like I wear my sunglasses at night not as good as Electric Avenuebut I will still rock out to it at the bar.img-1403587-1-laugh.png

Alright then, next time make sure you specify that you're talking about only a certain subsection of people, not the the group as a whole. One tends to rustle fewer jimmies that way. I have zero tolerance for those who do not think before they speak. Make sure that you do not become one of those people.

Edited by Jimmy Carter

The good thing that people have at their disposal now is that they can backtrack and get an unlimited amount of genre possibilities and pic the very best of who does what. The only problem with a bit of that is that some music (especially electronic) doesn't age as well as soem stuff but sometimes sounding retro IS a good thing. I mean look at all the artists that are making new music that sounds like old synthpop.

Problem with new music isn't that there isn't plenty of it, it's that you have to pan to find that gold. You'll pick out a a lot of bad rocks before you find a good nugget.  It really doesn't help that radio stations (on the airwaves) are for the sheep (as someone said before). There's SOME good satelite radio, cable music channels, college radio stations, pandora, and spotify. But these aren't TRADITIONAL radio, which are intended for the masses. Once you find a better way to intake and find good music it makes all the difference.

I use Rate Your Music as a great indicator of where to find a huge amount of conversations, reviews, and information on music. It's also nice that it has all kind of people, hipsters and old farts and a lot of contrasting opinions. That might make it chaotic at times (and for every 5 star review of an album you'll find a 1/2 star review as well) but it's nice to know that people have differing tastes and opinions but still care deeply about music. That's what it should be about. There's plenty of other places, like Atease and Pitchfork for new indie music or Discogs for older EDM, but don't get your supply from music from any place that doesn't get you new and exciting music that you enjoy and by all means hunt for it yourself. Explore. wink.png

I've listened to a few tracks off of Aenima, and so far from what I heard it was a good album, though yeah I'd agree that it's worth the money.

(edited)

I've listened to a few tracks off of Aenima, and so far from what I heard it was a good album, though yeah I'd agree that it's worth the money.

I prefer Undertow, but Aenima is really good. 

This is my favorite song off of Aenima.

And just for the hell of it, I'll post something off of Undertow.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

Oh, let's not forget that people tried blaming Nine Inch Nails for causing Columbine. Bleahhh... I hate it when people come up with stupid shit like that to say.

no worse, than Jack Thompson blaming Grand Theft Auto for it. or the media blaming World of Warcraft for the Colorado Incident. But truth is, they blame music, because they WANT someone to blame. they don't care if they nail the guilty party, or someone who's totally innocent in the aspect...they pin the blame on one person, and they stick to their guns...even if evidence comes forward that shows that person was never involved in the incident in any way, shape or form, the media will still blame that person no matter what.

same goes for music...some rap artists these days have been singing about drugs, sex, violence and using degrading terms all across the board, but when someone actually goes out, and does these things (of which, their parents should've had more to do, with raising their kids, instead of letting technology "raise" them sleep.png), the media will blame the music or gaming industries...whichever they feel is better. sometimes I wonder, if they've got a dart board, with various terms on it...they then, blindfold themselves, and throw a dart, and wherever it lands, that's who they'll blame for the latest tragedy.

Edited by Avalionis

It's like what Blue Moon said at the very start of the topic. It's not the music in general; it's the mainstream music that gets worse and worse. Personally, I don't really live the music today because it's so repetitive and predictable. Classical music is where it's at. So much to analyze and so much history and life in it, that not even words are required. Besides, it's where all music is from too.