Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why move the sun and the moon?

Dranz_89

Hey guys... I've been wondering... and I can't be the only one.

How come Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have to move the sun and the moon to make day and night?

A long time ago... I saw this amazing comic... where Twilight tells her daughter about this... It was genius, a dome around Equestria with an artificial sun and moon, wich the princesses used to make day and night...

so what do you think?

Why have artificial stuff if you could get the original? I always wondered if its truly Celestia and Luna the ones moving the sun and moon...who knows? maybe they're just moving the whole planet to make it seems like they're moving the sun and the moon.

also It would be nice if you could post or link that comic you said you saw, it would help me understand more of what you mean.

• Brohoof 3

Asking why they have to move the Sun and Moon is like asking why Pegasi make the clouds and control the weather. It's just the nature of Equestria. Look at the Everfree Forest, everything there is "abnormal" to them but totally normal to us.

Besides, what does the Sun and Moon look like they are doing near the start and end of each day? It looks like they are moving. In our world, it's because of our rotation with respect to the Sun and Moon. Even with that fact, they still look like they are moving up and down, making day and night.

• Brohoof 2

How come Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have to move the sun and the moon to make day and night?

A long time ago... I saw this amazing comic... where Twilight tells her daughter about this... It was genius, a dome around Equestria with an artificial sun and moon, wich the princesses used to make day and night...

so what do you think?

Equestria functions very differently from our world. Just as the ponies have to care for animals and change the weather manually, they have also have to introduce day and night by themselves. Initially, I believe, this was done by unicorns. 

It appears that Equestria is highly dependent on the ponies. The Everfree Forest, in which natural processes occur on their own accord, is regarded with fear and superstition. On Earth, it would be perfectly normal (monsters and such aside). It just goes to show how different Equestria is. 

By the way, is this the comic you're speaking of? It's quite beautiful. And which lucky stallion is the father?

post-9109-0-96456200-1367045999_thumb.png

Edited by Тwilight Sparkle
  • Brohoof 5

I always figured that the cosmology of the Equestrian world was based around Celestial Spheres:

NIDg3443248.jpg

Each heavenly body is locked into the surface of one of the concentric spheres that surround the world. Celestia and Luna control their respective sphere's rotation and thus the position of it's associated body. It seemed kind of messy having all this stuff just free-floating around.

Edited by Veylon
  • Brohoof 2

Its all an Alicorn conspiracy to assert domination over pony society...

Or it could have been a way for the original writers to give the story more depth and a magical mystical feel and not expecting anyone smarter then a sixth grader to watch or question it...

But I'm leaning towards the conspiracy theory.

Edited by Argumedies

For those who follow the Alicorn conspiracy theory, I have noticed a parallel with another franchise. Specifically, The Tau from the Warhammer 40 000 universe. Here is a little bit of Tau history

(from http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tau)

"The exact date of the founding of the Tau Empire in the Imperial Calendar is unclear, however the way in which the Tau were united as a species is a well-known tale. What is known is that only 6,000 standard years ago, in the 35th Millennium, an Adeptus Mechanicus Explorator fleet had discovered the Tau homeworld of T'au and determined that its population of sentient xenos were a primitive people at the Stone Age level of development who had only just mastered fire. They have developed very rapidly as a space-faring species.

Earlier in their history, the Tau were a culture built upon warring tribes. During this time, the Tau's legends tell of the first appearance of the Ethereals at the city of Fio'taun. The fortress city of Fio'taun was under assault by the Tau warriors from the plains. Though negotiation had been attempted, the fierce plains warriors would settle for nothing less than the annhilliation of the city of Fio'taun. For five long Tau years the inhabitants held off the savage assaults with their thick walls and plentiful cannon. However, disease and starvation began to take their toll. As the tide of the siege turned, two mysterious Tau appeared. One made his way into the camp of the plains Tau, exuding a quiet authority that no Tau was able to resist. Soon, the leader of the plains warriors was persuaded to parley with the settled Tau of Fio'taun. Similarly, the other mysterious Tau made his way deep into the fortress. Within a few short hours, the gates stood wide open, and the Tau of both sides stood ready to talk.

The Ethereals spoke of the importance of peace and understanding between all Tau. They described a Greater Good that each Tau must strive towards. The besiegers and the besieged quickly agreed with the Ethereals and a truce was reached. Across the world of T'au, Ethereals emerged, each with the same quiet authority and message of harmony and cooperation. With the Tau united, they were able to rapidly develop their civilization's technology, ultimately attaining faster-than-light spacefaring capabilities."

Equestria functions very differently from our world. Just as the ponies have to care for animals and change the weather manually, they have also have to introduce day and night by themselves. Initially, I believe, this was done by unicorns. 

It appears that Equestria is highly dependent on the ponies. The Everfree Forest, in which natural processes occur on their own accord, is regarded with fear and superstition. On Earth, it would be perfectly normal (monsters and such aside). It just goes to show how different Equestria is. 

By the way, is this the comic you're speaking of? It's quite beautiful. And which lucky stallion is the father?

attachicon.gifthe_chronicles_of_equestria__english_version__by_gign_3208-d4wm62d.png

Thank you... THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for it since a long time ago....  THANK YOU...

But now... I like to consider Equestria part of our same world... I know it sounds stupid but I think it's a post-apocalyptic world, where humans no longer exist, and the enviroment was devastated, and the survivor creatures developed this "skills" to live in the world... and that's why they know things like french stitching, and human-like things... or I don't know!

I'm a writer! Making up dumb stuff is my job!!! XD

• Brohoof 1

I guess Equestria doesn't orbit, and they both need to raise and lower the sun and the moon. That's actually a really good question .

Because Equestria seems to be a world of magic and weirdness rather than logic and order that can be quantified scientifically.

Pragmatically, its an easy way of establishing Celestia and Luna as being powerful and in charge.

My guess is that Equestria is either a geocentric planet with no natural orbit or just a flat plane with the sun and the moon being artificial discs in the sky.

That, or the whole "raise the sun and moon" thing is just princess propaganda.

Edited by Solar_Karma

The answer is simple.

Whatever planet Equestria is on has no rotation.

And maybe it has no orbit of the sun either.

Therefore Luna and Celestia have to move the sun and moon in order to warm/light the planet.

Or, my brother says it may be ceremonial (refer to the summer sunrise). He says maybe they can do it themselves, but every summer sunrise/sunset Celestia and Luna do it. He also says it may be as unexplainable as the Pinkie Sense.

Edited by True Rarity

Well, think about it, just like in real life, if the order of the movement between the sun and moon is altered, the whole ecosystem of the world, time, and space could be catastrophic!

It's just part of nature to take it's role and provide it's features such as the moon's ability to manipulate ocean waves and the sun's heat ray's to provide life to most plants.

I'm pretty sure that's why.

• Brohoof 1

Well Equestria is a fantasy world. So for all we know it probably doesn´t even have the same shape the Earth does. And a lot of things from mythology were used by MLP in its world. And having someone move thinks like the moon or the stars probably came from that.  

Its just because in equestria nothing seems to happen on its own, which is actually a nice little charm to the show in my opinion.

Celestia and Luna are the only ones powerful enough as far as we know, to raise the sun and moon, or I guess it may be that it's apparently their special talent to.

If they didn't move it, then it would be day or night forever.

The Sun and the Moon have to be moved by the Princesses, it's not optional, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Just like someone has to take care of the animals, and the pegusi have to change the weather, and the earth ponies have to till the land.

I always figured that the cosmology of the Equestrian world was based around Celestial Spheres:

img-1409749-1-NIDg3443248.jpg

Each heavenly body is locked into the surface of one of the concentric spheres that surround the world. Celestia and Luna control their respective sphere's rotation and thus the position of it's associated body. It seemed kind of messy having all this stuff just free-floating around.

Omg! So much love for this! It would explain a lot if this is how it worked! I always thought that either Equestria wasn't a round earth, and that the sun/moon were stationary and must be moved by the princesses, or that they controlled the rotation of the earth (though that one is kind of messy) I think the alicorn conspiracy is very silly.

It's definitely because Celestia and Luna are fighting to protect their world against powerful, chaotic, cosmic forces pulling the sun and moon and everything else in crazy directions. Just kidding. It is an interesting fantasy idea that all the ponies, including Celestia and Luna, need to work together to keep their world going.

What if the Princesses actually don't do anything and just tell everyone that they move the sun and moon to stay in power?

What if Nightmare Moon returning was just an elaborate hoax to keep the population fearful?

so what do you think?

Would the everfree forest be a crack in the dome, then? That would explain why (if I'm not mistaken) we never see the sun or moon in there...

• Brohoof 1

Would the everfree forest be a crack in the dome, then? That would explain why (if I'm not mistaken) we never see the sun or moon in there...

That's a good question to the dome theory... I think the Everfree Forest is proof that their world works just like ours... but to the ponies eyes, who were born and raised in a world where the weather and animals are controlled by ponies, then, this forest looks unnatural...

and the reason we can't see the sun or the moon in the everfree forest, it's because there are no longer sun or moon in the rest of the world, and the ones controlled by the princesses were created by them... hypothetically speaking

This is one of those things we'll never have explained because we just have to accept it. It's magic. How can the Pegasus ponies change the weather and walk on clouds? Because it is magic. It's also not a conspiracy because the Unicorns would have to be part of it since they moved the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna. Magic is real there so there is no need to make up other explanations.

• Brohoof 1

This is one of those things we'll never have explained because we just have to accept it. It's magic. How can the Pegasus ponies change the weather and walk on clouds? Because it is magic. It's also not a conspiracy because the Unicorns would have to be part of it since they moved the sun and moon before Celestia and Luna. Magic is real there so there is no need to make up other explanations.

That is totally truth... But as I said before... I'm a writer, and as such, I love creating an explanation for everything, and I believe that even magic must have some rules, everything has rules...

(edited)

That is totally truth... But as I said before... I'm a writer, and as such, I love creating an explanation for everything, and I believe that even magic must have some rules, everything has rules...

Makes sense. I get it. So far the best explanation is the comic some pony found. It still has holes in it but it is pretty good. The start of any theory has to be where does the sun/moon and weather behave in an Earth like maner. The idea of a forgotten spell that can isolate an area and replace the natural order is clever, and exists in show canon with the Crystal Empire's force field. It also explains Celestia and Luna's role-to create and maintain the force field. Shining Armor and Cadence both did it, but it requires massive amounts of concentration. Equestria may have something like the Crystal Heart that every pony feeds into and helps support, but in this case have no knowledge of and forgot about.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

I always assumed Equestria was a poor country, and that they couldn't afford a planet that has its own spin, or it's own change in seasons, or it's own weather patterns.