Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Species help?

NekromantiaFox

(edited)

I've been working on a MLP species for a while, but I can't seem to narrow down the last of the details. So if anypony has a suggestion, that would be very appreciated! I also need to name it <.< >.>

Official details:

* Eye Details (SECRET)

* Pointed Teeth (famales have sharper and longer canines)

* Cutiemarks on shoulders

Possible details:

* Traditional unicorn tails

* More deer-like tails?

* Cutiermaks possible branching off into the wings

Not much here....

Important questions to ask (for suggestion inspiration):

How will I differentiate females from males, other than their basic facial shapes?

How should their feet and ears form (hooves, paws, claws, fluff, ect)?

Should I put their cutiemarks on their left cheek or on their shoulders?

How can I alter their tail designs?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, so please tell me any and all ideas you have!

Edited by NekromantiaFox
  • Brohoof 1

To help with the differentiation between males and females, if you're going to use pointed/carnivorous teeth, you could have the males have bigger/longer bottom or upper teeth that stick out more than the females, or you could do the opposite. Since in some species, it is the females who do the hunting. 

For the cutie mark, the shoulder sounds like a good idea. In my eyes, that seems pretty unique and, if done correctly, could work out quite well.

As for the legs, I'd say do hooves, but have, towards the bottom near their base, an accumulation of hair that straggles out. This could also be another differentiation between males and females (males having more fluff on their legs, while the females could have more fluff along their bodies).

Hope I helped a bit and good luck with your creations ;)

To help with the differentiation between males and females, if you're going to use pointed/carnivorous teeth, you could have the males have bigger/longer bottom or upper teeth that stick out more than the females, or you could do the opposite. Since in some species, it is the females who do the hunting. 

For the cutie mark, the shoulder sounds like a good idea. In my eyes, that seems pretty unique and, if done correctly, could work out quite well.

As for the legs, I'd say do hooves, but have, towards the bottom near their base, an accumulation of hair that straggles out. This could also be another differentiation between males and females (males having more fluff on their legs, while the females could have more fluff along their bodies).

Hope I helped a bit and good luck with your creations wink.png

Thank you :3 Now I know which type of cutiemark to use on them XD

Your other suggestions also sound very interesting, and I'll have to consider them while drawing out their reference sheets later tonight.

(edited)
How will I differentiate females from males, other than their basic facial shapes?

Usually the males are more colourful to attract the females. Weapons like fangs, horns, spikes, are longer and thicker in males. In short, the males have scarier appearance, and better weapon to compete with the other males.

As for ability, usually the females are more efficient and practical (and swift) than the males.

How should their feet and ears form (hooves, paws, claws, fluff, ect)?

Hooves or claws? Why not both? XD

See lizard's. The feet is soft (I mean with muscles, not like hooves), but have claws. Since it's a mix, I would suggest you to create a flexible foot, with a portion of hoof-like material for the claw which also covers the instep and the heel. It will make a good combination for running, jumping and attacking. Sorry if it's not clear. If only I could draw. sad.png

Should I put their cutiemarks on their left cheek or on their shoulders?

Wings? :/

That will look fabolous. When they spread their wings, it will BOOM!

How can I alter their tail designs?

I would suggest using lizard tail, with mane trail along the tail, or just on the edge.

Edited by Sky Warden

Usually the males are more colourful to attract the females. Weapons like fangs, horns, spikes, are longer and thicker in males. In short, the males have scarier appearance, and better weapon to compete with the other males.

As for ability, usually the females are more efficient and practical (and swift) than the males.

Hooves or claws? Why not both? XD

See lizard's. The feet is soft (I mean with muscles, not like hooves), but have claws. Since it's a mix, I would suggest you to create a flexible foot, with a portion of hoof-like material for the claw which also covers the instep and the heel. It will make a good combination for running, jumping and attacking. Sorry if it's not clear. If only I could draw. img-1465557-1-sad.png

Wings? :/

That will look fabolous. When they spread their wings, it will BOOM!

I would suggest using lizard tail, with mane trail along the tail, or just on the edge.

Well, thank you for your suggestions. Not all male species are more brightly colored than females, so I'm probably not going to use that (and the females in this species hunt more often than males). I don't want to be cliche about how I do the feet. There are many people who try to combine the two and it normally doesn't turn out too well >.<

I'll have to consider your suggestion about the wings, but, if I do that, how will I make the unicorns look appealing?

Well, thank you for your suggestions. Not all male species are more brightly colored than females, so I'm probably not going to use that (and the females in this species hunt more often than males). I don't want to be cliche about how I do the feet. There are many people who try to combine the two and it normally doesn't turn out too well >.<

I'll have to consider your suggestion about the wings, but, if I do that, how will I make the unicorns look appealing?

Maybe you could try and take some inspiration from Raikou. His feet seem quite interesting and maybe you could deviate something from them.

raikou.gif

And since you're going to have the females be the hunters in this species why not have their bodies be more slim. This way they are faster and more agile. And Raikou's feet look to match since they seem like they could dig into the ground to get more traction for speed/quick turns. The males could be bulky just to compete against each other with brute strength. Mainly to impress the females, and, of course, prove who is the strongest in the groups.

I'm not sure how to go about the wings suggestion though. The only thing I can think of at the moment would be to have them smaller than the others. Seeing as how they would be using magic, their wings could be under-developed when compared to others.

Not all male species are more brightly colored than females, so I'm probably not going to use that (and the females in this species hunt more often than males).

Lions. The females hunt, and the males protect their territories. Because of that, the males have scarier appearances (in this case, the majestic mane). Imagine if the females had such heavy and hairy mane, and they hunted. Silly right? Also, imagine if a hunter has a colourful body. Well, tiger's design is for stalking and it's just black and yellow, but a night hunter with a skin which glows in a dark is ridiculous right? :lol:

I think lizards are the same. Usually the males are more attractive and scarier than the females.

I don't want to be cliche about how I do the feet. There are many people who try to combine the two and it normally doesn't turn out too well

I see, but I've seen many combination that turned out well. Well, the thing is to fix what's wrong right? ;)

I don't know. I was just thinking that it would be cool if they had wide symbolic Cutie Mark on their wing's surface, but I'm not sure about the unicorns. There are some dragons that have both wings and horn, but I bet you don't want to do it since it's a pony-dragon mix.

How about this. The winged dragons have their mark on their wings, and the horned dragons have their mark on the forehead? I've seen some designs where they have a symbol around above-eyes and forehead, and they turned nice.

Are you also making an earth pony-dragon mix?

(edited)

Maybe you could try and take some inspiration from Raikou. His feet seem quite interesting and maybe you could deviate something from them.

img-1465665-1-raikou.gif

And since you're going to have the females be the hunters in this species why not have their bodies be more slim. This way they are faster and more agile. And Raikou's feet look to match since they seem like they could dig into the ground to get more traction for speed/quick turns. The males could be bulky just to compete against each other with brute strength. Mainly to impress the females, and, of course, prove who is the strongest in the groups.

I'm not sure how to go about the wings suggestion though. The only thing I can think of at the moment would be to have them smaller than the others. Seeing as how they would be using magic, their wings could be under-developed when compared to others.

I suppose that might would fairly well, I'll have to try everything out a bit and see how it all works. That way I'll know if I actually wanna use that idea or not :3

Lions. The females hunt, and the males protect their territories. Because of that, the males have scarier appearances (in this case, the majestic mane). Imagine if the females had such heavy and hairy mane, and they hunted. Silly right? Also, imagine if a hunter has a colourful body. Well, tiger's design is for stalking and it's just black and yellow, but a night hunter with a skin which glows in a dark is ridiculous right? laugh.png

I think lizards are the same. Usually the males are more attractive and scarier than the females.

I see, but I've seen many combination that turned out well. Well, the thing is to fix what's wrong right? wink.png

I don't know. I was just thinking that it would be cool if they had wide symbolic Cutie Mark on their wing's surface, but I'm not sure about the unicorns. There are some dragons that have both wings and horn, but I bet you don't want to do it since it's a pony-dragon mix.

How about this. The winged dragons have their mark on their wings, and the horned dragons have their mark on the forehead? I've seen some designs where they have a symbol around above-eyes and forehead, and they turned nice.

Are you also making an earth pony-dragon mix?

Huh? Oh, the new species isn't a dragon-pony mix. You must've read one of my other posts, I was just asking about one of my OCs then XD Anyhwho, I'll have to consider the cutiemark idea you have.

There will be uncorn, pegasai, alicorn (exclusive), and earth ponies.

Edited by NekromantiaFox

You must've read one of my other posts, I was just asking about one of my OCs then XD
post-10241-0-51903500-1367641144.jpg

Oh, the new species isn't a dragon-pony mix.

Huh?

Then what thread is this? blink.png

For the marking, when they do magic, make the mark glows with energy. :wub:

I'm still suggesting you to consider about the male and female thingy. Don't worry if you think the female's simplicity will make them not beautiful. Disney often did it in the past, and they were beautiful.

I agree with @Sky Warden with having their cutie mark on their horns. However, seeing as how a horn is conical, a cutie mark on said shape would look warped and hard to see/interpret. Maybe, you could develop a system of tribal markings that symbolize what they are good at, and make this soley for unicorns. Or you could also give the marking to all races, which would make it easier for the pegasi were you to put their marks on their wings. 

As for the flamboyancy, >I< wouldn't really try it. Ponies (if they are the structure you're working with) don't really have the body for that type of colouring (in my eyes). I'm still partial to using physical appearances (tuffs of hair, build, etc.) instead of aesthetics, but that's just me.

Can't wait to see what you come up with using bits and pieces from all these suggestions :P

I agree with Sky Warden with having their cutie mark on their horns. However, seeing as how a horn is conical, a cutie mark on said shape would look warped and hard to see/interpret.

post-10241-0-50741200-1362570375.jpg

I said to put it on the forehead and above eyes, not the horn.

Maybe, you could develop a system of tribal markings that symbolize what they are good at, and make this soley for unicorns.

Then I suppose that's different with Cutie Mark. Tribal marking is a good idea, but it's still not Cutie Mark. I think now we need to determine whether want to make a mark which represents the talent of the creature or the blood line (clan) of the dragon.

Then what thread is this? img-1465719-1-blink.png

For the marking, when they do magic, make the mark glows with energy. wub.png

I'm still suggesting you to consider about the male and female thingy. Don't worry if you think the female's simplicity will make them not beautiful. Disney often did it in the past, and they were beautiful.

XD This is the thread for the MLP species I'm making, silly. XD Although, I do like dragons an awe full lot.

I agree with @Sky Warden with having their cutie mark on their horns. However, seeing as how a horn is conical, a cutie mark on said shape would look warped and hard to see/interpret. Maybe, you could develop a system of tribal markings that symbolize what they are good at, and make this soley for unicorns. Or you could also give the marking to all races, which would make it easier for the pegasi were you to put their marks on their wings. 

As for the flamboyancy, >I< wouldn't really try it. Ponies (if they are the structure you're working with) don't really have the body for that type of colouring (in my eyes). I'm still partial to using physical appearances (tuffs of hair, build, etc.) instead of aesthetics, but that's just me.

Can't wait to see what you come up with using bits and pieces from all these suggestions tongue.png

I'll have to see what I can come up with, I've seen some pretty colorful MLP designs before XD

I said to put it on the forehead and above eyes, not the horn.

Then I suppose that's different with Cutie Mark. Tribal marking is a good idea, but it's still not Cutie Mark. I think now we need to determine whether want to make a mark which represents the talent of the creature or the blood line (clan) of the dragon.

Well, I was thinking of using accessories to differentiate between the different clans.

XD This is the thread for the MLP species I'm making, silly. XD Although, I do like dragons an awe full lot.

Yes. Pony-dragon species right? :P

Well, I was thinking of using accessories to differentiate between the different clans.

That's a good idea.

By the way, do you have any example of your dragon or pony (or poneh in this case) drawing?

Yes. Pony-dragon species right? tongue.png

That's a good idea.

By the way, do you have any example of your dragon or pony (or poneh in this case) drawing?

NOPE :3 I'm trying to hold off on drawing or uploading too much until I get new supplies. (Faber Castell Polychomas color pencils, Delorima watercolors, Promarkers, and some better quality drawing paper)

NOPE :3 I'm trying to hold off on drawing or uploading too much until I get new supplies. (Faber Castell Polychomas color pencils, Delorima watercolors, Promarkers, and some better quality drawing paper)

post-10241-0-92682600-1358082258.jpg
Oh, that's sad. I really want to see your drawing.

post-10241-0-41293300-1360073893.jpg

But make sure that you draw and upload the drawing of my mare.

LOL. Forget that part. :lol:

Wait what kind of species are you talking about here. I keep thinking it's a dragon/ pony hybrid. In that case the tail should be more furry than scaly.

(I have NO artistic skill at all)

Oh, that's sad. I really want to see your drawing.

But make sure that you draw and upload the drawing of my mare.

LOL. Forget that part. laugh.png

Wait what kind of species are you talking about here. I keep thinking it's a dragon/ pony hybrid. In that case the tail should be more furry than scaly.

(I have NO artistic skill at all)

I've drawn out a female and male of the species (I like the females more XD). Their front legs are hooved and their back legs are paws, similar to the of a wolf or fox (hooves for precision, paws for traction). Females are much fluffier than the males and the fur on their hooves feather off towards the back of their leg, rather than feathering fully. Males, however, have colored hooves that are fully feathered. Females have designs on their foreheads that share some resemblance and reference back to their cutimarks, whereas males have striped tails. There is also a slight different in the fluff of their tails. They have sharp teeth, but females have retractable incisers that are much larger in comparision, which allows them to hunt larger prey. Females are also somewhat smaller and generally skinnier, though this varies. They are generally have a head to a full head taller than their pony counterparts. Their horns are sharp and smooth (do not twirl) and their wings have sharp spikes which are typically used as intimitation, rather than a weapon. Alicorns of the species have two dragon-like horns, rather than the basic horn. Each alicorn has a unique horn shape. The tips of their horns and wigns are colored (usually the same color as their eyes, but can be other colors on occasion). Their pupils turn a pale whitish blue at night despite having better eyesight during this time.  There are exactly five clans (water, frost, fire, forest, and moon), with the moon clan governing over the others for the most part. They are able to absorb small amounts of magic from the moon, which causes their eyes and tails to glow durring the night. They often use their tails as a lure when hunting at night.  They hold a celebration at least once a year, where they harvest energy from the earth and supply it to their queen, who in turn keeps the moon aglow (this is governed on the theory that luna simply raises the moon and stars, and doesn't light them aswell). The fire clan is considered the weakest of the five clans. They are somewhat known for hunting and eating small foals who stray too far from civilization, and are, thus, generally unliked by the pony populus. Luna, on the other hand, has been known to visit them durring their celebration of the moon on occassion, and is the only true tie between the equestrian royalty and them.

That;s what I have so far, but what should I call it?