Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Just Out of Interest...

RageonJonesy906

I am not embarrassed at all and don't see any reason to be, I like the show it and the fandom around it makes me happy and I have learned a long time ago that caring what others think is a waste of time and energy that is better spent on other things in this case cartoon ponies.

Not at all, I'm pretty open about my interests and hobbies. Weather it's ponies or music, I'm pretty open about my hobbies and interests.

(edited)

Intrinsically, no, I don't feel any sense of shame or embarrassment just for liking the show. And I could give a damn less about what strangers think of me, so I wouldn't really be embarrassed wearing a pony tee in public or anything to that effect.

It's more my close friends and family that I'd be worried about what they'd think of it. Which, I guess, is pretty silly given that the folks in my "inner circle" are not nearly as judgmental as some other idiots out in the world. But then again, what my friends and family think of me is far more important to me than what some random douche on the street thinks of me, so it's a somewhat merited worry, all things considered.

Edited by Lowline

(edited)

I'll be honest with you, I am a smidgabit... hesitant to bring up the topic, maybe a bit uneasy about it but I am definitely not embarrassed (well... maybe a smidget, but still...)

This fandom, while it has its quirks, is still a really nice fandom to be a part of

I gotta admit, the fan-made music, artwork, etc is all what gets me to like

this fandom more

That, and the people are (somewhat) nice as well

Edited by ~Wuvable Woona~

FOr me, it's difficult to bring up with others who I *know* will react negatively to it (most of my coworkers), but other than that I really don't care.  I wear my Brony shirts in public all the time, have no problem checking out the girl's aisle at Toys R Us, and head straight for the Brony section at Hot Topic.  I think some people make it a bigger issue than it actually is.

No, because I'm not insecure. I do what I feel like doing, and I do it how I feel like doing it, I don't let society bring me down. I'm just an outspoken individual and am used to things against the norm, so liking the show is not different for me.

MLP gives me the feels hardcore. That is a sign of good writing. Through the course of one episode, I'll often laugh, cry, get angry at one of the characters, and smile. Thus, I have no embarrassment about watching it.

I watched My Little Pony back in the days and I enjoyed the G1 movie.  Although I watched anything that was cartoons back then, and that included everything from MLP and Jem to GI Joe and Transformers.

Nowadays, I'm kinda two-faced a bit.  I watch and enjoy the show at home, but among my friends, I don't mention it at all.  I'm too busy with school and volunteering stuff to talk ponies away from home.

Meh, I'm not embarrassed. I didn't even know My Little Pony was a show until I heard about G4. Probably for the better, actually. I think I might have had some misconceptions if I knew about G1.

Seaponies

*shudder*

No, and why should I?  It's just a TV show, while there are some that make fun, it's just because they don't know how amazing the fandom is.  (No, I'm not saying we should recruit people).  

Now, I've had this question asked many times and I'm sure you have had to, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. As good as the brony fandom is, do we ever really feel embarrassed that we like this show which we hated bank in the day, infamous for its girliness and aimed for people over 4 times younger than us at the very least? This was actually one of the reasons I have up being a brony (needless to say I still enjoy watching it from time to time), the other being the... Not so nice parts of the fandom. I'm just wondering... Do you feel embarrassed liking this show? And if so, has it affected you?

PS: I do not mean to offend anyone in this topic if you think I am. Just curious.

I look forward to seeing what the MLPforums community say to this...

I think if someone found out suddenly that I was a brony I might be momentarily embarrassed but then I'd go on the offensive and try to get them to watch it, show them some clips first.

I dont broadcast i am, but i'm not embaressed about abd drop lines on people often, and about the old gens i never watched but i did beat the old sega genesis game when there was nothing left to play on the sega channel

Still, this show was notoriously girly in its past, and such it can notch be rid of it. Surely:

1) You (probably) felt embarrassed on learning you actually liked this show you'd been persuaded, one way or another, to watch

2) After all of that, you wouldn't public ally admit yourself as a brony (in a normal crowd) due to very judgemental people.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but even if you were head over heels in love with the show, you surely would not publicly admit it in front of parents, non brony friends and strangers. You might be misinterpreted as... You know what im getting at.

Personally, I think that admitting being a brony is great, in addition to an increase in confidence it will also make you a more independent person and will possibly lead to new friends and areas in life. It might be considered a step forward.

Even the downside of being ridiculed can be considered a positive!

The only difficulty (that was the case for me) is having the strength to take that step.

There's absolutely no shame in admitting you are/were embarrassed, its normal human nature after all.

I know I was, and even though I've quit, it still 'haunts' me in a way.

I dont care what people say or think about me, if they were to ask i would tell them but that is the problem they dont ask, i dont volunteer information

(edited)

Still, this show was notoriously girly in its past, and such it can notch be rid of it. Surely:

1) You (probably) felt embarrassed on learning you actually liked this show you'd been persuaded, one way or another, to watch

2) After all of that, you wouldn't public ally admit yourself as a brony (in a normal crowd) due to very judgemental people.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but even if you were head over heels in love with the show, you surely would not publicly admit it in front of parents, non brony friends and strangers. You might be misinterpreted as... You know what im getting at.

Personally, I think that admitting being a brony is great, in addition to an increase in confidence it will also make you a more independent person and will possibly lead to new friends and areas in life. It might be considered a step forward.

Even the downside of being ridiculed can be considered a positive!

The only difficulty (that was the case for me) is having the strength to take that step.

There's absolutely no shame in admitting you are/were embarrassed, its normal human nature after all.

I know I was, and even though I've quit, it still 'haunts' me in a way.

The past doesn't define something, things are subject to change as soon as certain conditions are met. In regards to people's perception of mlp, this fandom continues to spread and has the potential to change that view (plus the term "girly" is misleading- it implies innate differences in male and female character). That adjective isn't valid in a serious discussion. It's certainly a source of fear for some, but the people who cite it as a reason against mlp have a limited perception of human nature. Everyone is capable of feeling the same emotions. Classifying certain parts as "manly" or "girly" leads many to forsake things that "aren't meant" for them. Through such "lessons", we're taught to feel embarrassed. A common feeling people possess at some point, but one that fades as you mature.

Whether you were initially embarrassed or not, all that matters is what you currently decide to do. 

Circumstances always shift, but this world remains the same. In search of happiness, you learn to accept everything for what it is and embrace things openly. Genuine feelings will last forever.

I've long viewed shows as windows into worlds that could be. Since you find what you look for in the world, I was open to all views, but hadn't found one that truly resonated with me.

After coming across a video with mlp, I recalled how popular it was and decided to start the show. From the moment the theme song started, I was smiling. The spirit of the show shook me straight out of apathy, and I proceeded to mare-a-thon it all.

Within the same week or so, I discovered these wonderful forums and learned about BronyCon. Called my parents about my wish to make the trip, and sent them a link about the convention. They were definitely skeptical, but reason resided on my side.

Point and case, I'm always going to be a brony. My love for mlp and the community can only deepen (if that's even possible).

Edited by Starlight Sky